Jump to content
=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Recommended Posts

I believe G-5/AS and G-6/AS were much more more widespread than MW50 injection G-6. DB605AM and MW50 only became production standard in June/July 1944 with the G-14. So besides some gadgets that slow the thing down, high altitude AS engine and the canopy, the 109 series does not improve much(/at all) from early 1942 to mid 1944.

 

I wonder how many much the Erla Haube alone improved 109's top speed, something like 5 km/h, at most?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel more than comfortable taking on G-14 in La-FUN.

 

La out rolls it all day erry day and they preform about the same in all other planes of control. And have relative parity in hp/kg. 

 

Same with A-8. It is so heavy that Lagg-3 can club it if it gets caught in a climb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

I feel more than comfortable taking on G-14 in La-FUN.

 

La out rolls it all day erry day and they preform about the same in all other planes of control. And have relative parity in hp/kg. 

 

Same with A-8. It is so heavy that Lagg-3 can club it if it gets caught in a climb. 

 

Late model 109's - "Get high. Run fast." 

Expelled Olympic track runners - "Get high. Run fast."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2018 at 7:00 PM, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

 

No, if you physically fly into someone in their parachute you just clip through, it doesn't hurt them or you.

 

I've taken damage from physically hitting the pilot before.  Been a few months so not sure it still hurts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, woodrowwilson_pr said:

 

I've taken damage from physically hitting the pilot before.  Been a few months so not sure it still hurts.

 

 

It was probably just lag in my case, then.

 

 

On another note, when did the VVS have the P-47?  Would it fit into the typical timeframe of the TAW campaigns?

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some 200 odd were sent in mid 43, those being D variants. And another 200 about a year later. Of the 400 odd sent only 130 survived the war. It seems they were mostly used in defense of major cities and the bulk of them may have been used for training or technical analysis; the Soviets were fond of taking things apart, finding out how it was made and incorporating what they though best into their own designs. That is what Wikipedia has to say on the matter at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Disarray said:

 the Soviets were fond of taking things apart, finding out how it was made and incorporating what they though best into their own designs. 


That's such a polite way of saying it, lol!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, based on what I can find, in this case that is what they did. Not like other cases where they took things apart, made copious and detailed notes, put it back together again and said, "Look at this NEW AND TOTALLY ORIGINAL plane we have built. Isn't it cool, America? Why, I bet you'd like something like this, hu?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the U.S. F-86 was a copy of an end-war Kurt Tank design, among endless other examples.  All countries do it, since before the Romans copied the gladius from the Spanish Celts.

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2018 at 10:27 PM, Cpt_Siddy said:

 

It is moved one week back every time someone asks this. 

 

We need the good server back up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -=DIL=-woodrowwilson_pr said:

 

We need the good server back up

That long hair don't cover up that red neck boy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, StG77_HvB said:

I thought I read it in "Graf & Grislawski; A Pair of Aces," but I looked thru the book just now to tell you the page # and couldn't find the passage. Let me dig around a little more because it's quite a story; makes you stop reading and stare at the wall thinking about it.

 

Stop looking, that story is in the book "The Final Hours" by Johannes Steinhoff. It's on my bookshelf after you sold it to me ;) - great read.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They say there's 3 things that you lose when you get older. The first one's memory, and I don't remember the other two....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, -=AnTifA=-woodrowwilson_pr said:

Great, now it's pushed back a week...

Hey what can I say..I'm all about giving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, -=AnTifA=-woodrowwilson_pr said:

Great, now it's pushed back a week...

 

Yeah, thanks allot! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father and two brothers bought Il-2 a few years back and we had no idea there was such an organized multiplayer server, the WOL server is fun for an occasional shootout but TAW seems so much better function with goal oriented missions that carry over through the days and weeks. Imagine our disappointment when we heard the campaign had just ended! Woe betide us!

 

Very excited for the next season, we'll be there on day 1!

Question: is there any plans for TAW to include other parts of the great battles series? like tanks? or Bodenplatte? I know it wouldn't make much sense to include other theatres in a campaign on eastern front.

And does anyone know the hub to find squadrons to fly with? we are looking for wingmen! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madlarkin8 said:

Question: is there any plans for TAW to include other parts of the great battles series? like tanks? or Bodenplatte? I know it wouldn't make much sense to include other theatres in a campaign on eastern front.

And does anyone know the hub to find squadrons to fly with? we are looking for wingmen! 

 

No clue on future plans, but I will say that with only 84 players per server, having tanks would remove viable pilot slots.  So I’m not sure on what scale combined operations servers will be, but TAW is too large for that at the moment, so I can’t say what they plan on doing.  Besides, from what I gather about server hosting, there is a limit to how much a server can actually handle, so too much action will lag the server no matter what.

 

And as far as wingmen go, there is a virtual squadrons thread inthese forums, good chance there are squads looking for pilots there.  Personally, I would like to form a group of pilots for TAW based solely off of what available days and times you can fly.  My previous squadrons were dedicated to fly together, but rarely could we actually get more than two or three people at once on TAW - not enough pilots to accomplish much.  We just didn’t have the same times available for flying.  And being a lone wolf on TAW is possible, but I highly suggest you avoid that method on TAW, because deaths and the like are extra painful with the death penalty and harsh statistics scoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, madlarkin8 said:

Question: is there any plans for TAW to include other parts of the great battles series? like tanks? or Bodenplatte? I know it wouldn't make much sense to include other theatres in a campaign on eastern front.

 

Just speculating, but I see two options for including Bodenplatte planes:

 

1. Some of the planes in Bodenplatte were used towards the end of the war on the Eastern front (Fw-190 A8/F8, P-47 and potentially Spit Mk IX lend-lease, correct me if I'm wrong on these though), so we could see these added on a potential additional map rotation (currently there are 8 maps in a campaign, ending with La-5FN vs. Bf-109 G6 + Fw-190 A5).

2. Alternatively, we could see a 'TAW rotation', where we have 1 campaign on the Eastern front, then 1 Bodenplatte campaign (or more like 2-3 Eastern front, 1 Bodenplatte).

 

Either one of these would have to deal with people complaining about having to buy all the different 'modules', but honestly this is already the case with current TAW, and you will always have 'older' aircraft that were still in service at the time, so people with only BoS/BoM can still fly something at least.

Edited by BubbRubb11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s also why the VVS gets stomped, almost without a doubt every time, when TAW starts - that first map or two when it’s only BOM aircraft.

 

i don’t know why people don’t like flying the Moscow aircraft set, personally I feel it’s as close (aircraft performance wise) as it can be between the two sides until the later war VVS aircraft appear.  BOS aircraft seem to have the widest disparity in AC performance compared to the other modules, yet the BOS maps will see high player numbers for the VVS.  

 

But once that La-5FN appears on the battlefield it’s over.  As a LW pilot I shit myself when I see that aircraft on my six - as a VVS pilot, I feel like I’m cheating when I fly it.  I don’t know much about the VVS aircraft, but if the FN was as good in RL as it is in the game, then yeah... the La-5FN “won the war.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fowler said:

It’s also why the VVS gets stomped, almost without a doubt every time, when TAW starts - that first map or two when it’s only BOM aircraft.

 

 

Last time it was so that first two maps were BoM only for VVS but Luftwaffe had planes from BoS also. Don't know how much this affected anything but potential player base was different since not everyone has every module and I would suspect that BoS is the one most people have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

 

Last time it was so that first two maps were BoM only for VVS but Luftwaffe had planes from BoS also. Don't know how much this affected anything but potential player base was different since not everyone has every module and I would suspect that BoS is the one most people have.

 

ONLY map2 was partly with BoS plane (109f4) for AXIS team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he was referring to the Ju-87D and the He-111, because I almost said the same thing, but it makes sense that they are there.  Otherwise you’d be trying to chase down Ju-88’s with I-16’s, Migs, and P-40’s from the start.  I’m positive the I-16 and P-40 can’t do it without an altitude advantage, I’m not sure about the MiG -damn thing is full of surprises.

 

...But it kind of gives the axis team a larger potential player base on the first map.  I’d venture to say that BOS is a more recommended module than BOM to a lot of new players, and hence more players can fly axis on map one than allies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fowler said:

I think he was referring to the Ju-87D and the He-111, because I almost said the same thing, but it makes sense that they are there.  Otherwise you’d be trying to chase down Ju-88’s with I-16’s, Migs, and P-40’s from the start.  I’m positive the I-16 and P-40 can’t do it without an altitude advantage, I’m not sure about the MiG -damn thing is full of surprises.

 

...But it kind of gives the axis team a larger potential player base on the first map.  I’d venture to say that BOS is a more recommended module than BOM to a lot of new players, and hence more players can fly axis on map one than allies.  

Yes, this is what I was saying. I don't know if this makes any difference but potential is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 8:42 AM, fowler said:

 

No clue on future plans, but I will say that with only 84 players per server, having tanks would remove viable pilot slots.  So I’m not sure on what scale combined operations servers will be, but TAW is too large for that at the moment, so I can’t say what they plan on doing.  Besides, from what I gather about server hosting, there is a limit to how much a server can actually handle, so too much action will lag the server no matter what.

 

And as far as wingmen go, there is a virtual squadrons thread inthese forums, good chance there are squads looking for pilots there.  Personally, I would like to form a group of pilots for TAW based solely off of what available days and times you can fly.  My previous squadrons were dedicated to fly together, but rarely could we actually get more than two or three people at once on TAW - not enough pilots to accomplish much.  We just didn’t have the same times available for flying.  And being a lone wolf on TAW is possible, but I highly suggest you avoid that method on TAW, because deaths and the like are extra painful with the death penalty and harsh statistics scoring.

I am looking for people to team up for the upcoming campaign, I am also in Florida. Looks like we could play at the same times. Should let me know what your thoughts on it would be, we could at least start a group up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2018 at 10:12 PM, fowler said:

I think he was referring to the Ju-87D and the He-111, because I almost said the same thing, but it makes sense that they are there.  Otherwise you’d be trying to chase down Ju-88’s with I-16’s, Migs, and P-40’s from the start.  I’m positive the I-16 and P-40 can’t do it without an altitude advantage, I’m not sure about the MiG -damn thing is full of surprises.

 

...But it kind of gives the axis team a larger potential player base on the first map.  I’d venture to say that BOS is a more recommended module than BOM to a lot of new players, and hence more players can fly axis on map one than allies.  

I've caught Ju-88s in a straight line with the MiG, but it depends on altitude. And it was a long tail chase using lots of boost. Unless he turns you're going to be giving a great shot to the tail gunner.

Its doable but it would be very vulnerable to escorts and defensive fire. If I was a Ju-88 with those kinds of fighters I'd come in as high as possible, drop down a little for the bombing run, then extend away in a straight line, or in a shallow dive until I reach max dive speed and level out. I doubt the MiG could catch you then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

I am looking for people to team up for the upcoming campaign, I am also in Florida. Looks like we could play at the same times. Should let me know what your thoughts on it would be, we could at least start a group up.

 

You willing to fly drunk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I've caught Ju-88s in a straight line with the MiG, but it depends on altitude. And it was a long tail chase using lots of boost. Unless he turns you're going to be giving a great shot to the tail gunner.

Its doable but it would be very vulnerable to escorts and defensive fire. If I was a Ju-88 with those kinds of fighters I'd come in as high as possible, drop down a little for the bombing run, then extend away in a straight line, or in a shallow dive until I reach max dive speed and level out. I doubt the MiG could catch you then. 

 

MiG-3 is much faster than Ju 88 and He 111. Like 100 kmph or so at the deck - Ju 88 only reaches 420-ish in climb power at the deck and around 480 at 5000 m, but I dont think most bomber jocks use climb power much out of climbing... Only VVS fighter that has trouble catching Ju 88 in straight line is the I-16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 2:42 PM, fowler said:

 

No clue on future plans, but I will say that with only 84 players per server, having tanks would remove viable pilot slots.  So I’m not sure on what scale combined operations servers will be, but TAW is too large for that at the moment, so I can’t say what they plan on doing.  Besides, from what I gather about server hosting, there is a limit to how much a server can actually handle, so too much action will lag the server no matter what.

 

 

Well they are improving the net code for boddenplate so maybe server size will increase? Altought imo adding tank crew to TAW is really not a good idea. But getting human gunners back would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...