=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

....And blue has nothing to oppose Pe-2 in speed and vitality.

The Ju-88 can compete in the speed department, but I understand your gripe with the vitality argument.

And the nature of TAW, with the 1:45hr long rounds, it is very hard to destroy a hardened target like tanks with the Ju-88.  It can carry enough weapons to do the job, but can it survive the job?  Especially since you have to get pretty low to ensure hits.

However, I feel like that was the nature of the air war on the eastern front.  When you think of Luftwaffe pilots, you think of the famous fighter pilots and the few famous attack pilots -- but who are the famous bomber pilots?  Why aren't there many or any?  I believe it's because the Luftwaffe never took bombing as seriously as the allies (Russia excluded).

In the book To Command the Sky  by Stephen L. McFarland and Wesley Phillips Newton, they compare all air forces of the European war with the exception of the VVS.  They did this because:

1. Information from that front was unreliable when the book was written
  2. The nature of the VVS was not like the other airforces.  Where the English, American, and German airforces were strategic in nature, the VVS was tactical in it's nature.

What the authors mean by that is the VVS was designed to help the army win battles while the other air forces concentrated on larger schemes to win air superiority.  So, considering that the VVS was designed around the need to attack ground troops before anything else, and the fighters being used just to protect the attackers, I feel the game has modeled the durability of the VVS aircraft correctly.  after all, why wouldn't you make your ground attack aircraft sturdy and dependable if that is what your main purpose is? 

To me it just sounds like the Soviet Union understood the nature of war better than the Wehrmacht or Luftwaffe.  Of course, the Luftwaffe does have all the most famous aces.  But that is more what the Luftwaffe was designed for.

• Upvote 3

To me it just sounds like the Soviet Union understood the nature of war better than the Wehrmacht or Luftwaffe. Of course, the Luftwaffe does have all the most famous aces. But that is more what the Luftwaffe was designed for.

It deserve a different way of thinking. An air force for the Soviet Union with a mentality of air superiority was unconceivable at this time and with their territory. 

• Upvote 2

However, I feel like that was the nature of the air war on the eastern front.  When you think of Luftwaffe pilots, you think of the famous fighter pilots and the few famous attack pilots -- but who are the famous bomber pilots?  Why aren't there many or any?  I believe it's because the Luftwaffe never took bombing as seriously as the allies (Russia excluded).

Oh, so that's why Me 262 was used as a Fighter, right? #kappa

The main weapon of the Luftwaffe at this time was its Bomber Squadrons and Attackers.

Why there are not so many aces? Because of the bigger amount of Bombers.

The Fighterweapon(Jagdwaffe) had more enemies and were far smaller than the Bomber, Destroyer or Attackersquadrons.

50 Successful Fighter pilots against 50 enemies is something different than 150 successful Fighter Pilots against 50 enemies.(have fun with finding someone).

The Leaders of the Luftwaffe were in the opinion that Bombers decide the war and NOT Fighters. Many many people like you misunderstand it, but that is fact and i can quote it

with the Leader of Jagdflieger(Fighter Force) Adolf Galland.

The best Pilots were taken to Bomber, Attacker and Destroyersquadrons and the rest to Fightersquadrons.

How can you made up a He 111 Ace? In amount of dropping bombs at a certain Target? How can such a Pilot get kills? Strategic Bombings and Killconformation is nearly impossible.

Only late war the amount of operational Fighter planes were increased to stop the Bomberspam.

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi
  • Upvote 2

Oh, so that's why Me 262 was used as a Fighter, right? #kappa

The main weapon of the Luftwaffe at this time was its Bomber Squadrons and Attackers.

Why there are not so many aces? Because of the bigger amount of Bombers.

The Fighterweapon(Jagdwaffe) had more enemies and were far smaller than the Bomber, Destroyer or Attackersquadrons.

50 Successful Fighter pilots against 50 enemies is something different than 150 successful Fighter Pilots against 50 enemies.(have fun with finding someone).

The Leaders of the Luftwaffe were in the opinion that Bombers decide the war and NOT Fighters. Many many people like you misunderstand it, but that is fact and i can quote it

with the Leader of Jagdflieger(Fighter Force) Adolf Galland.

The best Pilots were taken to Bomber, Attacker and Destroyersquadrons and the rest to Fightersquadrons.

How can you made up a He 111 Ace? In amount of dropping bombs at a certain Target? How can such a Pilot get kills? Strategic Bombings and Killconformation is nearly impossible.

Only late war the amount of operational Fighter planes were increased to stop the Bomberspam.

I'm not looking for an argument, but sorry Scharfi, your wrong.

The Luftwaffe even cancelled their strategic bomber before the war started.  The best pilots didn't go the bombers, they went to the fighters.

This is evidenced in the book A Higher Calling when Franz Stigler explained how the training worked (and let's remember, he was in instructor pilot, training the Luftwaffe pilots for war and choosing what they would fly after school).  He states in the book that the best went to fighters, the second best attackers, and the least best went bomber/transport if they weren't flushed out into a different job like navigator or something.

Even so, the Luftwaffe was never able to strategically bomb like the other air forces, they were more in line with the Russians, using bombers and attackers in a tactical nature.

Strategic:  As in a strategy.  The United States and Britain used strategic bombing to destroy the enemy's capacity to develop weapons and equipment as well (or so they thought) destroy the enemy's will to fight.  This was their strategy to win the war.

Tactical:  As in a tactic used to win an engagement.  This is what the Russians excelled at.  They couldn't compete in the beginning for air superiority so they decided not to shoot for it, but instead swamp the Wehrmacht with attackers and fighters to cover them so that their army could win. 

Also, lets look at the Me-262 and FW-190, both used first as ground attackers:

The FW-190 was used because the Ju-87 Stuka was just outdated and something was needed to do the job of the Stuka without the high losses.  This aircraft wasn't designed (originally) to be a ground attacker, but it's durability and speed made it perfect for the job... with the exception of a lack of useful weapons to implement.

The Me-262 was Hitler's fast bomber, however the Luftwaffe command argued to use it as a fighter against the American bomber streams.  Hitler didn't like that idea until and forced it to bomb on the eastern front until it was too late.  It was extremely effective once it hit the western front, thank goodness Hitler made another infamous call, leaving too little time to turn the tide.

All I'm saying is it looks like, historically, that the Luftwaffe was playing catch-up in the ground attack sense.  They took aircraft that weren't intended for such roles and put them in it, making modifications in later variants to help preform the aircraft's new task.  To me, it sounds like the Luftwaffe was depending more on fighters than on bombers or attackers, and learned the hard way that the war is won on the ground, and desperately attempted to span the gap against the Russian's here.

At least, that is what the logic of it all says to me.

Edited by 19//p3zman
  • Upvote 2

Just to add to statistics, if i am forced to fly with blues, it would ruin my immersion.

On VVS succes the same... pilots are selected due her natural habilities, was usually, pilots whit best  fighter aptitude go direct to fighters, pilots whit some less of aptitude on combat go to bomber squads i think.

In "Attack of the Airacobras", Pokryshkin speaks of how the absolute best pilots were sent to recon squadrons.  As well, some pilots were able to choose between a recon or fighter squadron if they showed an exceptional skill set.  Otherwise, they were told where to go based on an instructor's decision of the pilot's ability which is how the majority of pilots ended where they were.

Firstly, may I say that though I don't often fly BoX, I've enjoyed your server very much.

Next a comment about "he who shall not be named", let's say "hwsnbn".

I've flown against hwsnbn on il2-46, Cliffs of Dover, and BoX. He is an exceedingly skillful pilot, far above my level. I think he's shot me down every time I've encountered him.

The videos he's posted convince me that he's not using a God Gun, or even minimal graphics settings for visibility. I could name squads on CloD who never post videos, probably because they've almost all the graphics turned down for visibility and kills - sad.

hwsnbn is simply very good at it.

However, the one area I'm not sure about is whether he's using packet monitoring to map enemy aircraft. I've been intercepted while cloud hopping in a way that simply seems unlikely.

Of course, this sort of cheat remains undetectable and I suggested to Oleg in the early phase of CloD development that the (x,y,z) needed some sort of light encryption. But I suspect it hasn't.

56RAF_phoenix

• Upvote 3

In relation to the above post and others regarding “he who shall not be named” here’s a little story for you.

On 18/04/17 @07:38 hours, a new map started and the VVS factory at Erzovka had just respawned. Planning to drop a couple of 1000kg bombs on the new, target rich factory, I set about preparing my bomber. Firstly, I checked the closest available airfield, which was Peskovatka. With the new amendments, all HE111 and JU88 aircraft at this airfield had a locked loadout. The closest airfield which allowed these aircraft to carry the 1000kg bombs was Kalach, and that’s where I spawned.

As I was taxing to the runway, “he who shall not be named” joined the game and spawned at Peskovarka. There were no other players on the map.

Anyway, as I gained altitude and starting my bomb run, I could see his JU88 over the target and attracting the attention of the AA surrounding the factory. Then, there were two massive explosions on the factory that could have only come from 1000kg bombs.

I mostly fly bombers and know what sort of damage different loads cause on targets, and these were definitely from the larger, locked bombs.

In total, he got 51 ground kills before exiting. I can only wonder how he was able to spawn at that airfield and obtain 1000kg bombs when they were locked? Maybe admin can check what I’m saying somehow and finally prove what everyone else is thinking?

• Upvote 1

In relation to the above post and others regarding “he who shall not be named” here’s a little story for you.

On 18/04/17 @07:38 hours, a new map started and the VVS factory at Erzovka had just respawned. Planning to drop a couple of 1000kg bombs on the new, target rich factory, I set about preparing my bomber. Firstly, I checked the closest available airfield, which was Peskovatka. With the new amendments, all HE111 and JU88 aircraft at this airfield had a locked loadout. The closest airfield which allowed these aircraft to carry the 1000kg bombs was Kalach, and that’s where I spawned.

As I was taxing to the runway, “he who shall not be named” joined the game and spawned at Peskovarka. There were no other players on the map.

Anyway, as I gained altitude and starting my bomb run, I could see his JU88 over the target and attracting the attention of the AA surrounding the factory. Then, there were two massive explosions on the factory that could have only come from 1000kg bombs.

I mostly fly bombers and know what sort of damage different loads cause on targets, and these were definitely from the larger, locked bombs.

In total, he got 51 ground kills before exiting. I can only wonder how he was able to spawn at that airfield and obtain 1000kg bombs when they were locked? Maybe admin can check what I’m saying somehow and finally prove what everyone else is thinking?

I know within the mission file and stats you are able to see what loadout a pilot selects. WoL statistics website has had that piece working for quite a while now. 

It was extremely effective once it hit the western front, thank goodness Hitler made another infamous call, leaving too little time to turn the tide.

Fw190/Bf109 were more effective then Me262 against 4-mot bombers :) Look at statistic, kill-death and kill-mission ratio's. 

THIS!!! The demonstrated skill level in gunnery and bombing does not preclude the possibility that something else is going on here. It is clear that certain air to air antics were toned down after this became a topic of discussion. Earlier in this thread someone observed that hwsnbn could not bring down his PE-2. I suspect that would not have been the case prior to these discussions. Suddenly hwsnbn switched from being the best fighter in the game to the best bomber in the game. You recent observation seems to bear out a change in methods.

I think they should not bring back the tanks kill limit, but give every Il-2 the 23mm guns back, since most had it in real life. Then give a few Il-2s the 37mm gunpods as an incentive and increase the AA at German convoys, defenses and airfields. That way, the Soviets will still die to AA if they are not smart, and yet can devastate German columns if they are.

I attacked a tank column in the last TAW, it had at least 7 fast firing AAA guns on Ace level. How many more lol? It is already almost impossible for an Il-2 to attack a tank convoy.

So how do you join this server? I've looked in MP and there are no TAW server there? Jesus I'm getting old :D

So how do you join this server? I've looked in MP and there are no TAW server there? Jesus I'm getting old :D

There is no campaign running at the moment. Next will likely start in 2-3 weeks.

• Upvote 1

There is no campaign running at the moment. Next will likely start in 2-3 weeks.

Ah ok now i understand.

Hello everyone!
I'm sorry you had to wait so much time this time, but heavy problems occured in my laptop mainboard power supply module. I was totally out of my data, templates and other files. But now everything is fine. Meanwhile our team is working at new TAW campaign features and improvements, I`m giving to you, your deserved diplomas and medal boxes. I also invite all, to fly in the coming TAW season IX.

Here we go:
TAW season VIII

BEST FIGHTERS

18301241_1820388618272451_55700195872933

18198709_1820388564939123_54855692571417

18274708_1820388701605776_57773368234341

18268277_1820388671605779_26039813480005

18198284_1820388651605781_53773581551074

18198610_1820388641605782_10704924852842

18222183_1820388621605784_61631453053682

18301668_1820388558272457_86990286979048

18275031_1820388638272449_49855237556295

18268246_1820388631605783_32822158023760

• Upvote 2

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry you had to wait so much time this time, but heavy problems occured in my laptop mainboard power supply module. I was totally out of my data, templates and other files. But now everything is fine. Meanwhile our team is working at new TAW campaign features and improvements, I`m giving to you, your deserved diplomas and medal boxes. I also invite all, to fly in the coming TAW season IX.

Here we go:

TAW season VIII

BEST FIGHTERS

18301241_1820388618272451_55700195872933

18198709_1820388564939123_54855692571417

18274708_1820388701605776_57773368234341

18268277_1820388671605779_26039813480005

18198284_1820388651605781_53773581551074

18198610_1820388641605782_10704924852842

18222183_1820388621605784_61631453053682

18301668_1820388558272457_86990286979048

18275031_1820388638272449_49855237556295

18268246_1820388631605783_32822158023760

I highly highly recommend cloud backups ;)

Seriously, thank you very much!

• Upvote 2

Of course, this sort of cheat remains undetectable and I suggested to Oleg in the early phase of CloD development that the (x,y,z) needed some sort of light encryption. But I suspect it hasn't.

56RAF_phoenix

It's a good thing that's not the case, because it makes the GCI software written by Donkey for CLoD possible. Also, I wouldn't assume that the netcode of CLoD and the netcode of BOx is identical. Do you know for sure this is possible in this game?

What Days / Times is the TAW server available ? not seen it on the server list for a while

What Days / Times is the TAW server available ? not seen it on the server list for a while

It's down currently.  The campaign runs 24/7 when it is up, but it's only up for a limited time, then the server goes down after a side has won.

We are all still waiting for LG to announce when the next campaign will start and what changes are being made (if any).

It's down currently.  The campaign runs 24/7 when it is up, but it's only up for a limited time, then the server goes down after a side has won.

We are all still waiting for LG to announce when the next campaign will start and what changes are being made (if any).

Thank you, I look forward to taking part

Play it again LG!

Sadly missed the last round due to real life. And although tweaks, balancing and general evolution is nice, every round I participated in was pure fun, so don't let planned upgrades keep it offline. (If they are)

We are currently working, thanks to Skv_Serafim, on translation TAW to Russian language (web site, mission files, data base etc) and we hope that it will attract more players :) It wasn't easy task as I thought at the beginning but It's almost finished now. Teammates from LG are working on enlarging maps (adding more cities and airfields). Few bugs must be fixed and I want to add some new improvements. 

So we have to wait a little bit longer for a new campaign.

• Upvote 4

:fly:  =gRiJ= Escuadron

Many thanks to the team of administrators since it is not easy task to cheer all the participants

Edited by =gRij=ToReRo

We are currently working, thanks to Skv_Serafim, on translation TAW to Russian language (web site, mission files, data base etc) and we hope that it will attract more players :) It wasn't easy task as I thought at the beginning but It's almost finished now. Teammates from LG are working on enlarging maps (adding more cities and airfields). Few bugs must be fixed and I want to add some new improvements. 

So we have to wait a little bit longer for a new campaign.

For GFW and VPN's sake,we also need translation to Chinese.T_T :lol:  

看着墙和VPN的份儿上,我们也要中文。T_T :lol:  

Where do I go to join a squad that is active on the TAW server?

When TAW starts again, I'm interested in playing as a Sturmovik pilot for the Soviet Air Forces (ground objective attack) or as a Focke-Wulf pilot for the Luftwaffe (ground objective defense). 

Where do I go to join a squad that is active on the TAW server?

When TAW starts again, I'm interested in playing as a Sturmovik pilot for the Soviet Air Forces (ground objective attack) or as a Focke-Wulf pilot for the Luftwaffe (ground objective defense). 

For squads you can go and see TAW web -> http://taw-server.de/squads.php also http://taw-server.de/ a bit lower than map at left side you can see official TAW teamspeak. Usually there are some guys/squads sitting there and flying.

When does it start... soon :)

I just registered for TAW but it's not showing up in my Multiplayer server list in game.....what am I missing?

I just registered for TAW but it's not showing up in my Multiplayer server list in game.....what am I missing?

You're missing few posts above ;) Please read first.

Current campaign is under development. Stand by for further news.

Translation to Russian language -> finished.

Enlargement of Stalingrad_South map -> finished.

Enlargement of Moscow_North map -> in progress.

New layout of defense position -> finished

New depot (larger, individually designed for different cities) -> in progress.

Some improvements -> finished.

We hope to start the new campaign in the next weekend. 

• Upvote 9