=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Is there a consolidated list of rules/descriptions about the server. I've never seen a good explanation of various things in one easily located place...

Unbenannt.PNG

http://taw-server.de/rules.php

Maybe doesn't answer everything tho

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Upvote 1

Lol, thanks Sheriff. Never noticed that MANUAL tab before. Haven't played TAW in a few months though so.. is that new?

Stupid question, if my preferred plain is a 110, should I mark fighter or bomber at the registration?

Fighter

On a sidenote, why is the Skins tab on the TAW page gone? I just wanted to check if I have all the skins.

Edited by DerSheriff

Loved the low cloud and sunset - couldnt see a damn thing but somehow it just didnt matter! :-)

Thank you

• Upvote 2

Reds, we have to push on enemy tanks!

Ayamoth I don't know if you know this. So please don't get it as a lesson from a teacher (lol who flies with me knows that I'm none   :gamer: ) I just want to spread the information, because sometimes I'm not sure if this is understood by everybody.

Defensive Actions:

- Attack on Enemy Tanks is a defensive action. The purpose is to stop the convoy to push further. You do this to defend your airfields. 

- Defense of the own defense points is a defensive action. Once the enemy tanks are gone you still need to defend it, because the damage is carried over to the next mission (persistency between the missions).

- Attack of the industry depot is a defensive action. This reduces the resupply of the tank columns = smaller convoy = faster gone / weaker against defenses.

- Defense of supply convoy: it replenishes the damaged defense positions in the next round.

- Defense of trainstations: if a badly damaged airfield doesn't get supply by transport or trainstation it will be closed in the next round = you need to fly longer distances to get to action.

Offensive Actions:

- Attack of the enemy defenses. Allows your convoy to push further. If your convoy is gone. don't attack the defenses.

- Defense of the own tanks. Help them advance on the battlefield by not let them get rekt.

- Attack enemy supply convoi: weakens the enemy defense points because they don't get replenished.

Special coordination efforts:

- Attack of airfields. Just do it if you plan to take them over manually in a coordinated paratroop assault.

I think the mechanics work like that:

1. Shut the airfield down by destroying the hangars etc. 
  2. Destroy the trainstation to prevent an automatic resupply (and a reopening of the airfield)
  3. wait until the round ends / prevent manual resupply by enemy transporter
  4. ON THE NEXT ROUND start the coordinated take over of the shut down airfield.

(At least that's how it worked when we used to land transporter to take over)

So just destroying tanks is not a viable way to win a map. Kathon gave us the tools to have a lot of fun. Why limit the gameplay on the most boring one?

Edit 1: spelling

Edit 2: added additional information from kathon

Edited by Emuyen
  • Upvote 2

Server is running. 

Fighter

On a sidenote, why is the Skins tab on the TAW page gone? I just wanted to check if I have all the skins.

There is a possibility to change the colour of the skins (all pink e.g.) to better see enemy planes. Also there were skins with forbidden signs and the server is located in Germany, so Stg2 team asked me to remove skins tab from the main page.

- Attack of the enemy defenses. Allows your convoy to push further. If your convoy is gone. don't attack the defenses.

Well, if your convoys is gone attacking defenses isn't pointless. It will be more damaged and if you constantly destroy supply convoys (it's much easier to destroy supply convoy/train than to defense) after few missions there will be another tank convoys attacking this city. All you need to do then is to protect your own tanks (defense is heavily damaged/destroyed).  It's a long term tactics.

Very often defense is damaged or destroyed in one mission but supply convoy replenish it in next missions so all the effort is lost. 

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Upvote 4

Well, if your convoys is gone attacking defenses isn't pointless. It will be more damaged and if you constantly destroy supply convoys (it's much easier to destroy supply convoy/train than to defense) after few missions there will be another tank convoys attacking this city. All you need to do then is to protect your own tanks (defense is heavily damaged/destroyed).  It's a long term tactics.

Very often defense is damaged or destroyed in one mission but supply convoy replenish it in next missions so all the effort is lost. 

Thank you Kathon. This makes the mechanics even more interesting! <3

Server is running. 

There is a possibility to change the colour of the skins (all pink e.g.) to better see enemy planes. Also there were skins with forbidden signs and the server is located in Germany, so Stg2 team asked me to remove skins tab from the main page.

This is unfortunate, can't we create a "neutral" location for the skins? And yeah cheaters gonna cheat. Imho the worst thing we can do is to reduce the freedom of common players because few players exploit that stuff.

changing the color of a skin to all pink...how is that supposed to help? your enemy would have to choose to wear that skin, which means he has to download it, in order for you to see it and help you

changing the color of a skin to all pink...how is that supposed to help? your enemy would have to choose to wear that skin, which means he has to download it, in order for you to see it and help you

yesterday i fought against 2 i16's. one in green and one in the red skin. Against the forest the green was nearly invisible and the red was quite good visible. Well if a squadron uploads the skins they usually use them too.

and? if you don't download their cheat skins nothing will change for you...do people still not know how this game works?

and? if you don't download their cheat skins nothing will change for you...do people still not know how this game works?

Dear Asgar,

as far as I understood kathon there is a possibility to change the color of YOUR custom skin. so for them YOUR custom skin is bright pink. only for them.

• Upvote 2

Dear Asgar,

as far as I understood kathon there is a possibility to change the color of YOUR custom skin. so for them YOUR custom skin is bright pink. only for them.

Exactly.

• Upvote 2

yesterday i fought against 2 i16's. one in green and one in the red skin. Against the forest the green was nearly invisible and the red was quite good visible. Well if a squadron uploads the skins they usually use them too.

Damn good fight that was. :) if this started at the 4 he111s at 6k

• Upvote 1

If I make my squad's skin pink (I've seen it on youtube), then I can very easily identify friend or foe at any manageable altitude and great distances. I'd GUESS that a majority of pilots don't download all the skins posted, which then completely negates the disadvantage of them showing up pink to the enemy... You're narrow minded view on the subject made your insult to we plebeians backfire. Do you know how the human element of the game works?

• Upvote 1

Something has seriously gone wrong with server participation. If you go to statistics and look at the distribution of total flight times for all the players, it is quite obvious that a large number of people have stopped playing after a short while. It is peak time in my TIMEZONE and 4 people are flying 30 minutes into a mission. It would be great if someone could put up a poll for the reasons people have stopped flying. That poll should be linked to a site off of the forum and should address issues that cannot be addressed here. I know for a fact that at least 4 other people in addition to myself will not fly under a very specific circumstances that cannot be discussed here. I suspect more people may not be flying for the same reason. I really enjoy flying TAW and hope the server can get back to its former participation rate.

Edited by NO_SQDeriku777

Simple truth for me (I'm US EST too), I'd have more fun flying with 50 other guys in WoL than 3 in TAW. When there's only 1 or 2 guys on your team, it's really no different than running SP missions. It's a shame, because I really like the setup of this server more, but there's no reason to play in the US (and I doubt any Euro's care).

Simple truth for me (I'm US EST too), I'd have more fun flying with 50 other guys in WoL than 3 in TAW. When there's only 1 or 2 guys on your team, it's really no different than running SP missions. It's a shame, because I really like the setup of this server more, but there's no reason to play in the US (and I doubt any Euro's care).

My sentiments exactly. I live in the central US (still in EST though) and I would love to fly TAW more, but my problems are two fold. First, the server is usually barely populated when I am able to fly. Second, I work 3rd shift, so my flying time is usually early morning EST. At that time, most of the people flying are from Europe/Russia/Australia/Asia and I can never seem to find anyone to fly with that speaks English, and sadly I am not bilingual in any form. Most of the English speakers that I do fly with are all on WoL so I just end up staying over there. I have tried flying lone wolf on TAW either in a fighter or bomber but it's absolute suicide...especially the murderous AAA.

Something has seriously gone wrong with server participation. If you go to statistics and look at the distribution of total flight times for all the players, it is quite obvious that a large number of people have stopped playing after a short while. It is peak time in my TIMEZONE and 4 people are flying 30 minutes into a mission. It would be great if someone could put up a poll for the reasons people have stopped flying. That poll should be linked to a site off of the forum and should address issues that cannot be addressed here. I know for a fact that at least 4 other people in addition to myself will not fly under a very specific circumstances that cannot be discussed here. I suspect more people may not be flying for the same reason. I really enjoy flying TAW and hope the server can get back to its former participation rate.

We just need enough players who fly regardless. I got shot down 4 times this campain so far. 4 Times Wonder twins

• Upvote 3

We just need enough players who fly regardless. I got shot down 4 times this campain so far. 4 Times Wonder twins

At least one of them has been killed once this go around. Probably due to the luckiest AAA gunner in the history of armed combat, but he was killed nonetheless. :lol:

Bingo. EST too. The few times I've gotten to fly, the server's been empty or only a handful.

If the Flak weren't so bad, I'd hop in, but flying alone is suicide. Even in a fighter, I'm always outnumbered

At least one of them has been killed once this go around. Probably due to the luckiest AAA gunner in the history of armed combat, but he was killed nonetheless. :lol:

Why should anyone want to fly when the server numbers are so low that you are guaranteed to run into such "trouble" over designated targets. The asymmetry of "skill" ( I have to use quotes here as free and frank discussion of this topic is constrained in these forums) makes every mission a suicide mission. I play in TAW for a short time and then I run back to land and leave the server when I see "trouble" has arrived. I know of at last 3 others that feel the same way.

• Upvote 1