“Dear pilots, today we are proud to present our latest improvement to the game: a new AI speech system that does not make you want to shoot yourself four times in the crotch with an RoF Webley...”

yet another improvement I had not considered, why are the Germans so "shouty"? I mean, to be fair, they do have microphones and headsets. why so angry all the time?

Edited by 1./KG4_OldJames

btw, is there any trick to have the radio in english? can we also add german and russian accents? :)

I found my own way to deal with the long wait. I stopped flying IL2 and moved to ROF. This way I don't suffer that much.

Me too, playing other games until patch arrive, current game isn't bad but it needs all the reworks coming in the new update

Edited by SJ_Butcher

Me too, playing other games until patch arrive, current game isn't bad but it needs all the reworks coming in the new update

I've been trying out some of the planes in the betas of both X-Plane 11 and DCS to tide me over. Not bad.  :blush: I can't wait for IL-2 to knock these two out of the sky!

Edited by scrapmetal

This silence is killing me...I cannot wait.

Even Team Fusion is on radio silence pretty much these days.

I hope we'll at least get a few reassuring words if there is nothing for us today.

Nah that’s way too big. As complex as the career mode is, I don’t think it’ll take up much disk space, and no way the 5 planes are a gig each.

I say 3 - 3.5.

It's not just the planes. There are many historical pictures for the new career, the newspapers, the pilot pictures, all the unit insignias etc.

We are also getting a new Stalingrad map (all new ground textures).

Im going to guess it will be a faily big download.

yet another improvement I had not considered, why are the Germans so "shouty"? I mean, to be fair, they do have microphones and headsets. why so angry all the time?

It was German militaristic tradition. It is conscious way of communication that was part of training, paramilitary training also (Hitlerjugend).

• Upvote 1

Perhaps they watched too many bad WWII movies where 'ze Germans' talk like that? ;)

• Upvote 1

It's not just the planes. There are many historical pictures for the new career, the newspapers, the pilot pictures, all the unit insignias etc.

We are also getting a new Stalingrad map (all new ground textures).

Im going to guess it will be a faily big download.

Half a dozen gigabytes worth of that stuff though? I doubt it. Yes, the update is going to be humongous, but I don’t think it’s gonna come close to 7gigs.

Half a dozen gigabytes worth of that stuff though? I doubt it. Yes, the update is going to be humongous, but I don’t think it’s gonna come close to 7gigs.

The 4K skins for the A20 alone will be more than a gig.

I moved DCS, RoF, CloD and 46 to my other drive. My SSD is filling up with Great Battles content.

The 4K skins for the A20 alone will be more than a gig.

Why would that be?

A 4K skin is just around 22 MB, 10 skins are only 220 MB.

Edited by Pupo

So, trying for release by the end of winter! The current temperature in Verkhoyansk is -35 degrees Farenheit (-37.2 Celsius), so the end of winter may be quite a while yet.  ;) 

So, trying for release by the end of winter! The current temperature in Verkhoyansk is -35 degrees Farenheit (-37.2 Celsius), so the end of winter may be quite a while yet. ;)

But winter ends officially at 28 of February

But winter ends officially at 28 of February

Winter in the northern hemisphere ends on 20th. March.

Nah that’s way too big. As complex as the career mode is, I don’t think it’ll take up much disk space, and no way the 5 planes are a gig each.

I say 3 - 3.5.

Hmmm. Perhaps meet in the middle at 5. You've got updates to two maps (usually involves replacing the whole map file), 5 planes, campaign files, added or modified effects which involve changing the layering on many skins, and an unknown number of bugs fixed. In my head it sounds pretty big, but my head has been known to be wrong. 

Hmmm. Perhaps meet in the middle at 5. You've got updates to two maps (usually involves replacing the whole map file), 5 planes, campaign files, added or modified effects which involve changing the layering on many skins, and an unknown number of bugs fixed. In my head it sounds pretty big, but my head has been known to be wrong.

It is going to be absolutely humongous, but I still think 7gigs is way too much. I think the biggest update we have had to date was just over 2gigs in size. I don’t think 3.001 is going to be more than 3 times bigger than that.

Does the side really matters? With the current internet speeds we wave today, even the most precarious countries have decent internet, and I live in a third world country, my current speed is 150mbps

Does the side really matters? With the current internet speeds we wave today, even the most precarious countries have decent internet, and I live in a third world country, my current speed is 150mbps

It does matter for some (not me personally) but the main problem with the size of updates is the risk of overextending the master server bandwith on release day and cause crashes or very slow download speeds, which would lead to quite a bit of gnashing of teeth.

Edited by Finkeren

It does matter for some (not me personally) but the main problem with the size of updates is the risk of overextending the master server bandwith on release day and cause crashes or very slow download speeds, which would lead to quite a bit of gnashing of teeth.

On the day of a big release, which usually happens while I'm at work, I'm late getting the update compared to probably over half of us. I'll grab the update and typically get pretty good d/l speeds. I try to leave my system up after play testing for a bit to seed other downloaders. I hope most of us do that to help out our fellow simmers. With this being a major update and new version number, I'll do a complete reinstall and burn that to disk to save as a clean copy in the next few days after the release.

Edited by Rjel

Believe it or not some people have metered connections, even in some "first world" countries.

Hopefully enough seeding will happen that we'll be fine. The updater was designed with torrenting in mind so in theory the more people downloading the more available seeders are also available.

I'm sure it'll be a big push on release day though :)

I'll probably be out of town whenever it happens. That's murphy's law!

They should just release it early in the morning without an announcement for the first hour. Players from American will sleep then and People from Western Asia and Europe will be at work :biggrin:

Hey, Chile isnt a third world country

Hey, Chile isnt a third world country

Yes it is, we are not even close to first world country, numbers don't lie...of course it exists countries worse than mine but internet is part of every house or most of them

Did you read the full wiki link you posted?

Just because people misunderstand or misinterpret it for decades doesn't make it correct.

• Upvote 1

I always love the look on people’s faces, when I point out, that Sweden and Switzerland are/were prime examples of Third World countries.

Of course, this is now an outdated term that is used only as derogatory (basically means the same thing as what the current US president refers to as ****hole countries) and as such it really has no solid definition and we might as well just drop it.

• Upvote 1

Just because people misunderstand or misinterpret it for decades doesn't make it correct.

Languages evolve. If the vast majority now agrees with this meaning, it's therefore correct.

• Upvote 1

Languages evolve. If the vast majority now agrees with this meaning, it's therefore correct.

I don’t agree. The “new” meaning adds nothing of value to the English language and robs us of an important historical term.

Besides: Faulty language is not something we should just let slide. Just as “Cedric” doesn’t become a proper name just because Sir Walter Scott didn’t know how to spell “Cerdic” in Ivanhoe.

• Upvote 1

Or how "literally" now has two definitions in the dictionary which are entirely contradictory. It upsets me. I wish I didn't care so much but I do.

• Upvote 1

Or how "literally" now has two definitions in the dictionary which are entirely contradictory. It upsets me. I wish I didn't care so much but I do.

Yep - me too.

Mistaken up-vote there Frenchy - freebie.

I had thought that, as Finkeren pointed out, "third world" is now seen as derogatory and outdated, which is why most publications these days prefer terms such as "industrialized" or "developing" nations.

I had thought that, as Finkeren pointed out, "third world" is now seen as derogatory and outdated, which is why most publications these days prefer terms such as "industrialized" or "developing" nations.

It's seen as derogatory because people mistakenly understood it to refer the wealth of a nation when it actually referred to alliance or lack of to either NATO or the USSR.

• Upvote 1