BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 88 - Discussion

Yes - early access. Says so in the Dev update.

Thanks .. sorry I missed that one 

Nice to see things are going well and that the devs are reinvesting in future projects. I would just hope that they can remember the other theaters of WWII... Like the Pacific!!!!

Nice to see things are going well and that the devs are reinvesting in future projects. I would just hope that they can remember the other theaters of WWII... Like the Pacific!!!!

Omg, give me the Pacific Theatre with a really good SP campaign system, and I would be all over it!

• Upvote 2

Let us make good use of the namesake of the game for a while! 42/43 is my favorite time-span in the WWII air-war..(BoB my least favorite) if it crawls down under it I just jump into a BF-110.. if it goes over it and change direction I need a P-38.

I never were a huge fan of the Pacific battles or carrier landings/takeoffs. Masses of just blue ocean and hardly no idea where I was.

Excellent to hear about the BOM build.  Nice plane set.  Enjoyed the CLoD 110 and JU88 so looking forward to trying out the BOM version.

New maps, DServer and mission editor on the way for BOS.

Great news for the ww2 flight sim community.

• Upvote 1

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the open ocean bits of the Pacific, but there were some serious land battles too. Don't forget that although the A6M was the only Japanese carrier fighter, the Japanese had all sorts of land based fighters that were far more capable. A few of particular note are the Ki-61 and Ki-84.

Well you will get my money up front no problem and hopefully by then the PILOT LEVEL CRAP will be a dead duck. If not, I sincerely hope the BoS achieved level does not transfer over to BoM with the almagamatiom.

I am exceptionally happy that BoS was successful enough to allow you to venture further afield - congratulations on that - and I look forward to flying the new bunch of a/c. Especially the Rata, I must have had hundreds of hours up in that in the original IL2.

Edited by pilotpierre

See the above post. I just do not understand why folks are still going on about the FMB & Dserver.. It seems to me and forgive me if I am misinterpreting some of these posts.. but it seems to me that some folks still think that these things are not forthcoming.. I believe we will have these things before BoM or at the latest by the time of it's release.. but I am thinking sooner rather than later.. This way they can release it and when they upgrade it for BoM content they can incorporate some of the bug fixes that I am certain the mission builders will find once they get their mitts on it.

BearCat,

It is clear a lot of players will keep asking for  the FMB and Dserver until it is released.

The reason is simple, without these two main parts, BOS is always a semifinished stuff.

The biggest task for the developer should be finishing the BOS as soon as possible,  not start a new project.

BOM? it is correct direction. But I don't want two semifinished productions.

Will BoM have custom graphical settings? Or will the customer be forced into using lame console type preset settings? Sorry to say BoS still runs like crap on my crossfire system. Maybe I should blame AMD for not supporting an ancient API in their drivers these days? 2x XFX 290x up for sale.

It is clear a lot of players will keep asking for  the FMB and Dserver until it is released.

The reason is simple, without these two main parts, BOS is always a semifinished stuff.

The biggest task for the developer should be finishing the BOS as soon as possible,  not start a new project.

It has been said the new project don't stop the team working on BoS.

You will have both, the FMB and Dserver in a near future, and later BoM.

It's not "A or B", but "A and B"

• Upvote 1

I think the naming is confusing some people:

They said it will be a new game but it sounds to me like it's a Standalone expansion.

An expansion for current users and a standalone product for those who opt to skip BOS.

Is that right?

Andrew Brookes in his book "Air War Over Russia" says something like this (I don't have the English version):

" In war over Russia there were at least 77 000 German planes lost. If we compare it to German losses during BoB, which counted 1733 planes, we can see that it (BoB) was just a slight injury..."

So for me it's not yet 'too much of Eastern front', on the contrary, I hope for at least one more (Kuban/Kursk/Crimea) before moving to other theaters like Africa, Meditarenian, Pacific, Western front...

I'm not making a big thing out of this because I'm sure u didn't mean any bad intentions but calling the bob's casualties a slight injury is highly offensive to me. Just think that yes this is a game but based on war where some ungodly amount of millions of people lost their lives.

Have fun mate but please think

P's might be completely wrong but 77000 seem wrong to me

Edited by AeroAce

BearCat,

It is clear a lot of players will keep asking for the FMB and Dserver until it is released.

The reason is simple, without these two main parts, BOS is always a semifinished [/size]stuff.

The biggest task for the developer should be finishing the BOS as soon as possible, not start a new project.

So while 2 programmers work on the FMB and the dedserver, the rest of the team should sit idle and do nada? Makes perfect sense.

Edited by SvAF/F19_Klunk
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations for the announcement! 

All new quality content is always welcome  :)   I am looking forward to it.

However, I am concerned about certain features that, in my opinion, are even more important that new content and for the moment the excellent IL2:BoS lacks.

As some of the fellow pilot have expressed in this particular thread, and in many others of this forum, a powerful and user friendly full mission builder , the enhancement of the cooperative mode and the compatibility with the following installments are greatly needed. 

In my humble opinion, massive cooperative dynamic online persistent campaigns like ADW, Bellum, Scorched Earth, HRCODWAR etc. have been the heart and soul of all the predecessors of the IL2 saga. Thousands of pilots from hundreds of squadrons joining efforts together to defeat the enemy faction, either computer or human controlled. That feature in conjunction with new content is what, IMHO, kept the players "hooked" playing and, subsequently, kept the good old IL2 alive and kicking for so many years.

The fact that new content is being developed has been warmly welcomed by all of course. New content will keep the public interest as well as will keep the project financially viable, which is good, yet it rises some questions and controversy regarding when the above mentioned tools/features will be available.

I am sure that the developing team is working hard already to address this concerns by giving the community of IL2 fans not only the content but also the necessary tools to create and share they own competitions and events.

This will surely keep alive this and the future iterations of this amazing IL2 simulator alive and strong for the years to come. 

N

Edited by Nen
  • Upvote 1

My first post in the forum and as much as I like this news I feel that finishing BoS would be a more sensible move. I certainly hope that at some point we will finally have control systems that can be manipulated within the cockpit if not in BoS then in BoM . I also personally find that the present roster of planes in BoS have a very light feel to them and I hope that the flight models for the new game will not be direct copies of the current game.
Still, I am very much looking forward to the new updates and the new game/addon so thanks to the Devs for the continuing hard work.

I believe I couldn't have chosen a better moment to return to BoS!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!

So you are flying again? Good ... glad to hear it ...... See you in the skies ...

Chief

What can i say.. you just..  you just..  ROCK!!  Be the legend!! Thanks a lot for this beautifully great news.

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for the new title is somewhat tempered by my deep sense of betrayal over the performance of the FW 190.  

At this stage I think I'll reserve my position on the BoM.

Hey Bearcat,

Im not moaning, groaning, or having a whine about anything, quite the opposite.

The game for me is, with the exception of the annoying technochat, superb.

And as I said, you fly what your given, and over come any weakness in your plane by good teamwork.

Teamwork, I believe that is best achieved in CooP missions.

And I, and my fellow squad members think/hope/pray this Sim will be the sim that brings a fractured community back together.

There is quite simply no better way to play this game than squad verses squad.

New planes.....bring them on, but id prefere a CooP mode all day long, and pay for one to!

Pumped for this. Some of my favorite planes :)

I-16, 110, P-40 yes!

Some people don't seem to get that the updates we get for BoM will update BoS as well since they will be merged into eachother.

Very un-excited. The cash-grab is real today, and I sure won't be buying this after the poor way that BoS was handled. Hopefully people can see past the flood of kool-aid, and actually see the underlying issues with what is happening.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for the new title is somewhat tempered by my deep sense of betrayal over the performance of the FW 190.  

At this stage I think I'll reserve my position on the BoM.

Shocker

The technochat can be turned off.

oh yeah this is epic.

I cant wait to fly the Ju88 and the BF110. Along with new version of the Pe-2, oh and the P-40. This is excellent news, I'm going to pre-order as soon as its available.

The massive cost of the Luftwaffe diversion FROM the OSTFRONT to the MED in 42 and then back east again in 43, resulted in massive losses of transports, bombers, pilots, fuel, time, wear and tear, and that this all played into the costly losses on the Eastern front from 43-44.

I also look forward to the Eastern front battle of Moscow. But after 43 my interest wanes. You were lucky to survive more than a handful of missions as a German pilot at that time. The Luftwaffe went from a true multirole integrated airforce, which the Germans pioneered so successfully in 39 and 40, to a purely defensive reactionary fighter scramble system, with barely trained children piloting planes which were built with slave labor from shoddy materials, hugely outnumbered, and fighting a badly losing war.

I prefer H-J Marseille, Budanova, Edwards

:poster_offtopic:

Awesome news, pretty amazed that it will go on with this series. Seems more and more like an awakening of the flight sims is coming :) Awesome to get the Ju88, think i'll become mainly bomber pilot in the future  :biggrin:  and Mig3..i really really hope it will be as hard to fly as it should be :)

+1 :)

There's a P-40 E-1 in the list, Woo Hooo!  :)

Going to be another great year for virtual pilot's. BOM looks to be a great adition, and it's a relief to see both BOS and BOM are going to be compatible :good:

This post has certainly made my day, thanks for sharing the good news with us Zak

It would be nice to see carriers under these FMs and under this engine.. but I don't expect that for some time. I do however believe that it is possible. I truly believe that this sim has the potential to be everything that IL2 is... it just needs the time ... Maybe not fully content wise.. but theater wise I think it can touch on much of WWII..

Let us make good use of the namesake of the game for a while! 42/43 is my favorite time-span in the WWII air-war..(BoB my least favorite) if it crawls down under it I just jump into a BF-110.. if it goes over it and change direction I need a P-38.

I never were a huge fan of the Pacific battles or carrier landings/takeoffs. Masses of just blue ocean and hardly no idea where I was.

Yeah .. but there is something about making a successful carrier trap that is unmatched in the virtual skies... ;)

Well you will get my money up front no problem and hopefully by then the PILOT LEVEL CRAP will be a dead duck. If not, I sincerely hope the BoS achieved level does not transfer over to BoM with the almagamatiom.

I am exceptionally happy that BoS was successful enough to allow you to venture further afield - congratulations on that - and I look forward to flying the new bunch of a/c. Especially the Rata, I must have had hundreds of hours up in that in the original IL2.

To be honest .. I am with you.. that whole Pilot lever stuff.. That is for gamers.. Just make the sim.. make it scalable.. make it as realistic as you can... provide eye candy and content.. and tools for community input...

WINNING!!!!

BearCat,

It is coming.. of that I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever...

My first post in the forum and as much as I like this news I feel that finishing BoS would be a more sensible move. I certainly hope that at some point we will finally have control systems that can be manipulated within the cockpit if not in BoS then in BoM . I also personally find that the present roster of planes in BoS have a very light feel to them and I hope that the flight models for the new game will not be direct copies of the current game.

Still, I am very much looking forward to the new updates and the new game/addon so thanks to the Devs for the continuing hard work.

You still don't get it.... (no offense) .... BoM is "finishing" BoS. I think a part of the problem with some folks is they are looking at the IL2 XxX part of this project... instead .. they should be looking at the IL2 part of it. ;)

BoS, BoM.. BoK.. whatever.. it will all be a part of this series.. This sim should be an ongoing work in progress for some time hopefully..

Hey Bearcat,

Im not moaning, groaning, or having a whine about anything, quite the opposite.

And as I said, you fly what your given, and over come any weakness in your plane by good teamwork.

Teamwork, I believe that is best achieved in CooP missions.

And I, and my fellow squad members think/hope/pray this Sim will be the sim that brings a fractured community back together.

There is quite simply no better way to play this game than squad verses squad.

New planes.....bring them on, but id prefere a CooP mode all day long, and pay for one to!

No doubt.. Coops are where it is at..

Very un-excited. The cash-grab is real today, and I sure won't be buying this after the poor way that BoS was handled. Hopefully people can see past the flood of kool-aid, and actually see the underlying issues with what is happening.

:dry:  ............ Talk about a soft on... :happy:

The "underlying issues with what is happening" are simply that contrary to the wishes and pontifications of many many folks... this new IL2 franchise is growing and expanding and moving forward, that it's demise has been greatly exaggerated, and that someone is indeed listening.

The FMB is on it's way... the DServer is on it's way.. you can believe it or not... but it is most definitely on it's way.. ;)

We will soon have maps with no snow... (I know everybody is sick of the snow... LOL.. can you imagine being a BoS fan.. and living in New England or out west in the snow belt of thr U.S.? ... :P no snow is looking pretty durned good about now.. :biggrin: )

.. and now... :) .. if you are an IL2 Battle of Stalingrad Standard edition owner...  You can buy into all this... without those pesky unlocks.. simply by buying the two add ons at the current sale price of $9.99 each...

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

If you do not own IL2 Batle of Stalingrad at all..  and have been sitting on the fence because you were worried about the sim's future.. Wait no more! Buy the current Standard edition at it's current price of $59.99.. and then buy the two additional aircraft at their current sale price of only $9.99 ... You too can own IL2 Battle of Stalingrad Premium Edition without unlocks! For the amazing price of only $79.97!

Act Now! This is a limited time offer! (Don Pardo voice not included!!)

-snip-

The "underlying issues with what is happening" are simply that contrary to the wishes and pontifications of many many folks... this new IL2 franchise is growing and expanding and moving forward, that it's demise has been greatly exaggerated, and that someone is indeed listening.

-snip-

I am inclined to agree with what you said but I am still apprehensive about basic things like the FMs, G2 curved throttle, strange pitch axis behavior, etc... Basic tangible things.  :salute:

BOM will be similar to Pacific fighters game released long time ago - BOS and BOM are going to be fully compatible, but you'll be able to buy BOM separately from BOS as well.

Oh, that is great to hear! Can't wait to throw some more money at the next product in this line! :biggrin:

.. and now... :) .. if you are an IL2 Battle of Stalingrad Standard edition owner...  You can buy into all this... without those pesky unlocks.. simply by buying the two add ons at the current sale price of $9.99 each...

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

If you do not own IL2 Batle of Stalingrad at all..  and have been sitting on the fence because you were worried about the sim's future.. Wait no more! Buy the current Standard edition at it's current price of $59.99.. and then buy the two additional aircraft at their current sale price of only $9.99 ... You too can own IL2 Battle of Stalingrad Premium Edition without unlocks! For the amazing price of only $79.97!

Act Now! This is a limited time offer! (Don Pardo voice not included!!)

So you're saying that I, as a Premium founding member, supporter from the beginning, someone who drank the kool-ade, who paid close to $100 two years ago, is now getting ripped off??? Wait a minute. Someone else is getting it cheaper? After I've played now for what? A year and half or so? I feel so... so used. :)

I'm pretty excited by the news. I wasn't expecting Moscow actually... I had assumed they would proceed forward but this is still good. A ton of planes we've talked about wanting to fly and here we are. Some repeats but also valuable additions.

I'd still like another Yak :D