6./ZG26_Gielow

BoS 1920x1080 High Settings Hardware

You should bexpect able to turn on FXAA in Nvidia control panel to get rid of jaggies and go unto camera settings to turn off cinematic effect in the camera menu.

Try turning all AA off except for FXAA...

I have a lot of problems with micro freezes / stuttering / whatever when playing this at max settings.

Its very hard to keep other planes in sight with headtracking when the screen freezes for about 0.5 seconds every 5-10 seconds.

Resolution is 2560x1440, I can confirm that it doesnt look that good in higher resolutions. I cant explain why, but its like everything is a bit blurry or something like that.

gtx780ti and I7-4790 should be enough to run this game at max, but nope... 30-40 fps and microstutters.

(IL2-CLoD runs fine on max and looks fantastic)

Any tips to what I can improve? I'm out of ideas and without custom graphic settings I cant get rid of this problem :(

The only custom graphics I've enabled is the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics

under the file name "terrain"

Contents have been changed to read as below:

PixelSize=5 //meters

LodCount=5

texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8

Happy with the results, unfortunately the frame rate slow downs happen regardless of resolution or quality.  However, stutters are gone.

What about people running @ 2560x1440 resolution?

For me the game looks like crap at high resolutions no matter if I select balanced, high, ultra, 2x or 4x AA.

The devs really need to work on changing the API to DX 10/11, the DX 9.0 API is ancient, born Dec 2002.

What's the dotpitch of your screen?

Now we can use AA4x only, maybe the problem it's that you need +AA and you can not to apply, not the API used by game engine, i'm not sure

Hi guys!

I'd like to buy a new rig for BOS. Question here is, if it's enough for BOS on max settings with 1920x1080 + which FPS i have to expect?

Here it is: 

processor

Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150  

mainboard

Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3, Sockel 1150, ATX 

RAM 

8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 

case

Corsair Carbide Series 200R inkl. Corsair VS Serie VS650, Non-Modular, 80+

graphic card

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, 4GB GDDR5

software

OEM Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit 

SSD

Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s

DVD

Samsung SH-224DB

Thanks in advance!  :happy:

You will have no problems, I run 3570k and GTX 770 and get 40-60 fps with  low spikes of 36fps but no stutters with excellent picture quality at 12xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 4x OGMS} Anti aliasing with your setup you could probably even go up a few resolution steps with DSR, that MB supports easy 'one touch' overclocking so get a decent cooler to allow you to take advantage of 'K' series chip overclock, BoS reacts very well to higher clock speed

post-6177-0-55783400-1421850047_thumb.jpg

this taken at 2650 DSR which is a bit too much for my 2GB 770 when things are busy

Cheers Dakpilot

Hi guys!

I'd like to buy a new rig for BOS. Question here is, if it's enough for BOS on max settings with 1920x1080 + which FPS i have to expect?

Here it is: 

processor

Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150  

mainboard

Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3, Sockel 1150, ATX 

RAM 

8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 

case

Corsair Carbide Series 200R inkl. Corsair VS Serie VS650, Non-Modular, 80+

graphic card

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, 4GB GDDR5

software

OEM Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit 

SSD

Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s

DVD

Samsung SH-224DB

Thanks in advance!  :happy:

I have the same CPU\GPU (MSI in my case), and I'm playing at 1920x1200, Ultra preset+AA4X, applying 4,5ghz OC at my CPU. (I think that without OC I will have similar result).

You don't need to check FPS, your system will run very smooth without FPS problems, and high FPS all time,I'm sure

Only one question, why Intel K with this motherboard? better Z97 to apply OC

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Dak and SuDoKu.

I now took an i74790K with 4,0 GHz (I like to make movies and google told me i7 is better for that).

Only one question, why Intel K with this motherboard? better Z97 to apply OC

Well.. I'm a good pilot but i don't know much about computer systems.. For me, OC is a unknown world :D Should I be worried with this CPU?

Edited by Emil_Junus

yes, I7 has ""8 cores"", is better for work than a  I5 4690k, and it's a great CPU for play.

If you never will do overclock, don't take one I7 4790k, take I7 4790 without "K", will be less expensive and will make you the same service.

If you know the AA and AF graphics filter that really you need to play, you will play always with very good perfomance at all games, without exception.

For example, in my screen, with my GTX970, I can apply one screen resolution of 1600p, with AA4x.

It's impossible for me to detect alliasing defects and I have very good perfomance  in all games.

But I've read some people with frames problems that is trying to apply 8x of AA....why!!? do you need this AA or this AF? I think no...and this is the real framerate problem, to apply plus than you really need.

(and sry again for this bad English ;) )

With modern MB and 'K' model CPU overclock is very easy one button press affair with no need for expertise of any form, however you must have good cooling, probably better than stock, most applications do not need overclock, but to get the full capability designed onto your CPU the 'K" model is produced, and many aftermarket cooler configurations. Closed loop watercooling is now mainstream and common place, when combined with higher series MB and unlocked CPU,(K) big gains in performance are available which are already designed into the CPU.

As clock speed is what affects the minimum performance (i.e. the min score in min/max/avg FPS benchmark) of BoS, running at 4.5ghz will be noticeable but with that CPU ( 4790) is certainly not a necessity

Cheers Dakpilot

Hello, I fly BOS since summer 2014. My config is:

- i7 870 (bottleneck?) multiplier x24 - so it runs on 3.2 ghz with better cooler (45min - 70 in max degrees)

- mainboard: Gigabyte GA P55A-UD3

- 8 GB ram kingston 1600 mhz

- hdd seagate 500 gb (dont have ssd yet)

- Radeon R9 270X 4 Gb

- monitor dell 27 inches 2560x1440

I have no problems with ROF, cliffs of dover (high / med in 50-60fps) but in BOS when I fly a free flight over Stalingrad with medium / average clouds and attacking 8 bombers - there is about 25-30 fps and lots of stutter. On MP - even worse when dogfighting with a few players around. I play BOS on lowest settings, v-sync is ON, FPS limiter is set on 50 and AA is off. Full screen on or off - doesn't matter. Even If I set res to 1900x1200 - situation is about 3 fps better but stutters doesnt allot to play. Why there are only 4 graphic presets? Today in every game I can turn off ssao, shadows etc... Is my i7 870 so slow? Because I don't believe graphic card is.

Will the problem dissapear if I buy ssd and install BOS on it?

edit: I can fly single missions in 50 fps without any stuttering - the problem is on multiplayer and when in free flight there are clouds and 5 and more planes. There is also almost no difference in stuttering if I set graphic preset to ultra or high. maybe I should change settings in AMD catalyst control center?

Edited by JG300Misiek

You guys using in game AA or through the Catalyst Control Center if you're an ATI user? What gives best fps? I've had those micro stutters...

Hello, I fly BOS since summer 2014. My config is:

- i7 870 (bottleneck?) multiplier x24 - so it runs on 3.2 ghz with better cooler (45min - 70 in max degrees)

- mainboard: Gigabyte GA P55A-UD3

- 8 GB ram kingston 1600 mhz

- hdd seagate 500 gb (dont have ssd yet)

- Radeon R9 270X 4 Gb

- monitor dell 27 inches 2560x1440

I have no problems with ROF, cliffs of dover (high / med in 50-60fps) but in BOS when I fly a free flight over Stalingrad with medium / average clouds and attacking 8 bombers - there is about 25-30 fps and lots of stutter. On MP - even worse when dogfighting with a few players around. I play BOS on lowest settings, v-sync is ON, FPS limiter is set on 50 and AA is off. Full screen on or off - doesn't matter. Even If I set res to 1900x1200 - situation is about 3 fps better but stutters doesnt allot to play. Why there are only 4 graphic presets? Today in every game I can turn off ssao, shadows etc... Is my i7 870 so slow? Because I don't believe graphic card is.

Will the problem dissapear if I buy ssd and install BOS on it?

edit: I can fly single missions in 50 fps without any stuttering - the problem is on multiplayer and when in free flight there are clouds and 5 and more planes. There is also almost no difference in stuttering if I set graphic preset to ultra or high. maybe I should change settings in AMD catalyst control center?

I've got the same CPU actually... a i7 870 and in single player with 20+ aircraft it really bogs down to single digit FPS and stutter. I think its the CPU constraining performance more than anything else and I have BoS installed a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. It loads up fairly quick and free flight the FPS is fine but the CPU seems to be the constrained part. My GTX 570 is probably less powerful than the R9s so I imagine you and I both have the problem that its CPU and not RAM or GPU causing the performance issues.

BTW: The SSD probably won't solve performance issues but it is the single best upgrade I've ever made.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 1

Sorry for the dumb question, but other having fraps (?) is there a key command in BOS that displays FPS?

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the dumb question, but other having fraps (?) is there a key command in BOS that displays FPS?

No there is not.

Downloaded FRAPS, in QMB solo flight (no trackir enabled for a quick test, so looking straight ahead within the cockpit with head "zoomed out").

over non-building terrain (@ 500M alt)= mid 40's 

over large town (very low level) = mid to high 30's

over Stalingrad at VERY low level= low 30's.

Experienced one stutter for no reason (I wasn't over any "taxing" terrain) during which the FRAPS dropped to high 20's (from memory 29) for about a second before returning to normal.

GRAPHIC SETTINGS:

"HIGH"
"FULL SCREEN"

"V SYNC" enabled
AA= 4

Gamma= 1 

FPS limit set to 60

My Rig:

Mobo= Asus P8Z77-V-LK
CPU= i5-3570K (not currently overclocked, as I only have a standard cooler, it's currently hot in OZ and I don't have A/C at home  :( )
Ram= 8GB @ 1600
GPU= Asus GTX 660-DC2O-2GD5 2GB
HDD= Seagate 3.5' barracuda SATA 3 7200 RPM (1TB)

No there is not.

No worries thank you.

Edited by novicebutdeadly

You guys using in game AA or through the Catalyst Control Center if you're an ATI user? What gives best fps? I've had those micro stutters...

Same here. Any ideas?

How  do you find out how man fps  the game runs ??  I do not have steam I play the game from the  loader, bought from here official website.

i7, 32Gb, R9 290x

3440x1440 resolution plays smoothly on Ultra settings.

attachicon.gifultra3440x1440.jpg

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz, 16GB, 2x 290x @ 2560x1440 @ 100Hz stutters like crazy for me with any gimped pre-set graphics option I choose. On the other hand BF4 on ULTRA 4x AA runs 100 fps smooth.

GRAPHIC SETTINGS:

"V SYNC" enabled

FPS limit set to 60

If you limit the FPS the game is giving out to 60 and own a normal monitor @ 60Hz, picture tearing should be no longer present. So hardware hungry VSYNCH should be unnecessary and therefore switched off.

If tearing of picture occurs anyway with FPS Limit 60 and VSYNCH off, this probably is a bug...  

If you limit the FPS the game is giving out to 60 and own a normal monitor @ 60Hz, picture tearing should be no longer present. So hardware hungry VSYNCH should be unnecessary and therefore switched off.

If tearing of picture occurs anyway with FPS Limit 60 and VSYNCH off, this probably is a bug...  

The magic word is TrackIR. In every single sim I fly i see screen tearing If Im not using Vsync. No matter if FPS limiter is on. Vsync is a must for TiR and 60Hz monitor owners.

This is really strange, blackram_,

I use FPS limiter to 60, VSYNCH off and TrackIR5 and no tearing here. :rolleyes:

I also use fps limiter 60, no vsync, and TIR 5 works fine with no tearing, but I play on a 1080p hdtv through hdmi... If that matters.

I think it must depend on the person eyes. If I do not use vsync I see screen tearing in any game & I always use vsync with a frame limit. 2560x1440 @ 100Hz

Edited by Static

Dunno. Though I have perfect eyesight. I see very noticable screen tearing (in all sims I play) when Im not using vsync (with fps limiter set to ON ofcourse). My monitor is (sIPS LED) Dell 2412M. Maybe I need to change monitor preset. I know it has gaming, work presets etc.

Edited by blackram_

In BoS if you use windowed mode this can get rid of screen tearing without need for Vsync and give you a smoother play/better performance in many instances with little or no downside

Cheers Dakpilot

Window mode will not work with more than one GPU, that is a downside for me.

i7-4790K, 980Ti, Ultra settings + V-Sync = ~60FPS. No V-Sync = tear city. It's...tearible. I would like 120FPS, but I can't seem to push the framerate any higher by lowering graphical settings. The game just seems incredibly CPU-intensive. May try overclocking.

Edited by dpyro

Has anyone experienced the mouse pointer being very sluggish on the startup screens before launching into a flight? I am and yet I have pretty good frame rate visually for now in Single player mode. I will download a FRPS utility tonight and get some numbers. But my computer should handle these graphics I would think: i7 16GB RAM, 4GB graphics card.

Cheers!

- CraigNT55

Thanks for the reply. I know that the startup screens have a different graphic properties than the main game. I have been enjoying flight sims since 1985 and when I get a sluggish mouse pointer in the splash screen or options page it tells me things aren't going to get better in the main program session. I was wondering if others were experiencing that and if there was a setting (perhaps in the config file) that could address the problem. Or if that was what happens when you don't have enough horsepower in your system board and/or graphics card.

Thanks!

- CraigNT

Has anyone experienced the mouse pointer being very sluggish on the startup screens before launching into a flight? I am and yet I have pretty good frame rate visually for now in Single player mode. I will download a FRPS utility tonight and get some numbers. But my computer should handle these graphics I would think: i7 16GB RAM, 4GB graphics card.

Cheers!

- CraigNT55

What does Fraps tell you?  You didn't say what speed your i7 is running at, and in BoS clock speed means a lot...

Yes I have always had the mouse lag until a few updates ago even when I was at 60fps within the menu. I still get crappie ingame frames even with a 3930k @ 4.7GHz, 16GB of DDR3 @ 1866MHz & two 290x GPUs in crossfire driving my 2560x1440p 100Hz+ panel. For me my experience was better during the Alpha & Beta phases of this IL2 redirect. Vsync maybe an issue, AMD driver support for the ancient DX9.0c API support no longer supported in AMD drivers.

Edited by Static

I think in the early stages of development the game was a lot less demanding, there have been many features and graphic improvements added since, that have increased info processed by CPU  and GPU load

Cheers Dakpilot

^ BS! Its the ancient API developers wont leave alone, any DX9.0 API coded game I use runs like shi@t on my system.

^ BS! Its the ancient API developers wont leave alone, any DX9.0 API coded game I use runs like shi@t on my system.

Since there seem to be no plans to leave DX9 i guess we'll live with it.  It really is a shame that there is no official BoS Graphics Stress Test...it would sure allow some apples to apples comparisons, and allow prospective buyers to simply run the test with their existing hardware before buying the game, in addition to giving some guidance for upgrades.  As is we are stuck with pretty subjective experiences, for example at 1920x1080 and Ultra and 4xAA I can get down to 30fps momentarily at low altitude with 15 AI planes in the air in a QM, but 99.9% of the time I'm at 40fps or above and 99% of the time above 50 fps under the same circumstances, often at 60 fps or above.  Point the nose up and it might jump to 90 fps.  Some people would say that's great, some would say it sucks, but there is no objective way to express the performance I get.

I think everyone would agree that more has been added since early alpha and beta builds, I don't think it is BS that the new features will have increased load on CPU, much in the same way BoS is a bit more demanding than RoF

I am sure everyone would have loved to have BoS running under DX12, even the Dev's...just a matter of time, money and budget...

Unfortunately DX9 has been handled by Nvidia better than AMD for quite a while now 

Cheers Dakpilot

I think everyone would agree that more has been added since early alpha and beta builds, I don't think it is BS that the new features will have increased load on CPU, much in the same way BoS is a bit more demanding than RoF

I am sure everyone would have loved to have BoS running under DX12, even the Dev's...just a matter of time, money and budget...

Unfortunately DX9 has been handled by Nvidia better than AMD for quite a while now 

Cheers Dakpilot

Catalyst DX9 driver support ends
AMD: No driver support for DirectX 9 Ati Radeon under Windows 7

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,698491/AMD-No-driver-support-for-DirectX-9-Ati-Radeon-under-Windows-7/News/

Time to sell my 2x 290x ::*( I guess it is time to go back to the green team since the GPU crypto mining days have been long gone.

Edited by Static