6./ZG26_Gielow

BoS 1920x1080 High Settings Hardware

Hello guys !!

Lets start a new topic where people can list their hardware that can run ROF in maximum settings, so we can have an idea of what to buy to run BoS in high performance.

Only post here your especs if you can run ROF in High and 1920x1080 or questions about other people hardware.

I am interested to know if the new nvidia 770 vga can run ROF in full settings ???

I can run ROF in maximum settings:

i7 second generation

8 gigs ram 1333

VGA ATI 6990 (2 cpus)

Average FPS: 60

So the gtx 670 can handle the game in high?? Sorry. It is a sli setup. I tought it was a single gpu.

Edited by JG62Gielow

I am interested to know if the new nvidia 770 vga can run ROF in full settings ???

Mine should arrive this or next week with a 4th gen i7, hopefully I can tell you then.

Mine should arrive this or next week with a 4th gen i7, hopefully I can tell you then.

Great!! I am in doubt if I am going to buy a 770 or a 780. But I dont want to pay too much in a 780 if the 770 can handle the game.

My system runs RoF on high settings at about 75-80fps average (using injectSMAA instead of the inbuilt AA though)

I5-2500K
Corsair H80 Cooler
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
Diamond Radeon HD5870
1TB HDD
Corsair HX750w
Windows 7 (64-bit)

I run RoF at max settings and at 1920x1080. I've never had any stuttering or freezes with any number of planes present.

Edited by JG1vonGreim

Max high settings (excluding supersampling) lots planes big map,bad weather, never drop below 30fps in any situation, normally locked at 60fps and super smooth no stutters

i5 3570k/H100i @ 4.5kHz GTX770 16GB 1600mgz ram SAD

That i5 and GTX770 seem to be the performance/price sweetspot atmo. i7 has no performance advantage and the extra money for 780 Is better spent else ware....watercooler, or SSD.

Is there a "Blackdeath" benchmark for ROF? Is hard to compare two persons experience, have only dabbled with ROF but it looks great!

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot
  • Upvote 1

Thank you guys !!! I started this topic to see what would be better to buy in a future upgrade because there is so many options in market. Lets wait the game be released and see how we can handle it compared with ROF :)

I have the Gigabyte Windforce 770 2GB. It runs RoF at max settings (I don't use AA, but do use SweetFX for the FXAA to smoothen it out) at 2560x1600 and maintains FPS above 50 with max QMB (5 aircraft per flights, including two flights on each side being Gothas/HPs) with each flight having different skins and full ground objects on the full western front map during summer/fall when the rivers aren't frozen so more shader action going on.

My system:

i7 4770k @ 4.0GHz (haven't found a need to overlock further yet) and HT disabled as it yields no performance gain in any games but has a larger L2 cache than the i5, and I got an amazing deal on it

8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz low voltage memory

ASRock Z87 Extreme 3 MoBo (latest BIOS, USB3.0 disabled)

850Watt PSU

Gigabyte 770 2GB Windforce (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463)

NH-D14 CPU cooler

Soundblaster Z

Samsung SSD for OS and another partition for some games

OCZ SSD for more gaming storage

WD 512GB HDD for storage of downloads and other assorted stuff

Win7 64bit Prof, latest drivers for vid card/sound/system and BIOS for Mobo

and etc.

Monitor is a Yamakasi Sparta multi 300 30" - which is crap. Some wierd display hitching, and if I turn off the monitor for an extended period of time while the PC is on it won't come back up instead displaying multi-colored vertical lines unless it's power cycled several times. But considering it's half the price of other name brand monitors that have the same pixel size, refresh and capable of this resolution I deal with it. Still hate it though, and wouldn't recommend it.

RoF settings are attached, and the filter is at bilinear because I have Anisotropic 4x set through nVidia CP.

post-9266-0-14047200-1377312881_thumb.png

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 1

Just bumped up anisotropic to 16x. Terrain looks cripser further out, lost maybe 1fps. Just flying around was mostly pegged at 60fps in QMB attacking a Gotha with an AI wingman.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 1

your best bet would be to wait until the 8oo series comes out next year and then go 780 sli you wound also need better ram 2400 mhz  low latency also maybe overclock your processor pm me if you need help.  

Edited by crossfade

I'm running in 1680x1050, but i'll post my experience anyhow.

System and settings attached see picture/signature.

Worst case scenario with QMB:

29 heavy bombers AI

All other objects activated (AAA, trucks, balloons etc.)

Big map

Heavy clouds

Performance goes down to about 28 FPS at worst, usually around 40 FPS.

With a less heavy mission, replacing the heavy bombers with 29 single seaters, performance is between 50 and 60 FPS (it's capped at 60 FPS).

Without any AI planes, it's 60 FPS all the time, so high numbers of AI planes, especially bombers, have the highest impact on performance (or maybe supersampling, but i see no need to use it).

post-3376-0-58679900-1377800046_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

FuriousMeow what are you trying to do with those 850W, run a second PC? :P I am using a Platimax 500W PSU and don't have any issues :)

I run ROF at maximum settings for the most part, using Nvidia Inspector and the tweaks suggested in that thread on the ROF forum.

1920x1080. AA at 8X, AS at 16X.

Runs very well, 55-60 fps for the most part ( have it locked at 60), when things get heavy may drop down to around 40 fps, have not see it drop below around 36 fps at all - at least yet, just did these tweaks around a week ago.

System specs in my sig.

RoFsettings_zpsf699723f.jpg

With the above settings I am getting 37-50+ FPS depending on where I am looking ina  QM with 12 planes in the air and heavy clouds. If I tweaked it a bit I could probably squeeze a bit more out of it but I never had any issues so I never bothered to fine tune it to maximize the graphics.

AMD Fx-8350|ASUS M5A99X|OCZ ZT 750W PS | ASUS VE248
Seagate 1 TB Barracuda 7200RPM HDD|SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
Corsair Force 3 240G SSD|32G Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600
XFX DD FX-HD 7870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
|Win 7 Ultimate
COOLER MASTER Gemini II S524|TIR4|MSFFB2
Modded Saitek X-52|Saitek ProFlight Pedals

What would really help would be a post explaining what some of those settings do.. Some of them are obvious based on IL2 experience but some of them I am not sure of.

I am still debating whether to upgrade my system with a new motherboard and cpu. Especially with BOS being released soon, and DCS WWII being released in about a year.

I have been running this build for about 3 years now, and I usually update every couple of years.  But this system has been running so rock solid overclocked to 4ghz, and never has a blip, I just can't seem to pull the trigger and give it up just yet. Best I can tell if I do upgrade, probably about the best overclock I will get is around 4.5 ghz. Not that much greater than what I have now.

Maybe for the interim I will consider upping ram from 6gb to 12gb, and upgrading the GTX 560 Ti to maybe a GTX 680... wonder if that would help sims such as ROF and the BOS much...

With the above settings I am getting 37-50+ FPS depending on where I am looking ina  QM with 12 planes in the air and heavy clouds. If I tweaked it a bit I could probably squeeze a bit more out of it but I never had any issues so I never bothered to fine tune it to maximize the graphics.

AMD Fx-8350|ASUS M5A99X|OCZ ZT 750W PS | ASUS VE248

Seagate 1 TB Barracuda 7200RPM HDD|SB X-Fi XtremeGamer

Corsair Force 3 240G SSD|32G Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600

XFX DD FX-HD 7870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5|Win 7 Ultimate

COOLER MASTER Gemini II S524|TIR4|MSFFB2

Modded Saitek X-52|Saitek ProFlight Pedals

What would really help would be a post explaining what some of those settings do.. Some of them are obvious based on IL2 experience but some of them I am not sure of.

Some friendly advice regarding your settings:

1) You might want to either disable Super Sampling or drop AA down to 2... the two dont work well with each other and you are going to burn a lot of performance for little to no gain. The devs themselves recommend to never exceed 2xAA when using SS because it's such a performance killer!

2) Setting up a framerate limit, preferrably to the same value as that of your monitor refresh rate, can also improve performance because it will stop your system from rendering excess frames that are of no use to you anyways (your monitor can only render as many frames as its refresh rate).

3) I recommend to disable high contrast and instead edit your startup.cfg (found in the "RoF/data/" folder). Search for the line "saturation = " and increase the value (default is 0.75, I use 0.85 myself), it makes textures seem less washed out and more vivid.

4) Talking about the startup.cfg: Few people know but there is a hidden "Depth of field" effect hidden in there. Just search for "post_dof_enable = " and set its value to 1 to enable, 0 to disable. It will quite obviously only work with post effects globally enabled. So what does it do? it simulates the auto focusing of the human eye on near/far objects, so when you look at your instrument panel objects that are further away will get blurred and vice versa. It is a very neat thing but never got past the experimental stage in RoF.

Edited by JG4_Karaya

FuriousMeow what are you trying to do with those 850W, run a second PC? :P I am using a Platimax 500W PSU and don't have any issues :)

I wanted to make sure my little Tron guys that make my bits go fast had enough powah!

It was on sale at the time and SLI compatible, which I intend to do before the end of this year, so I plopped down the $50 for it.

And I just delidded my 4770k. Put some liquid metal between the cores and the IHS, now have to go through the pain in the ass of figuring out how to get the Noctua back on because the hardware mount for the mobo side is a terrible design.

Edited by FuriousMeow

I'm running ROF pretty smooth at this settings:

vJQtEKg.jpg

My gaming box:

-------------------------------------------------

NZXT-Phantom 820 case; Corsair AX860 (860W) PSU

Asus Sabertooth Z77
i7 3770k@4.3GHz+ Noctua NH D14 cooler
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 2TB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45

Corsair Vengeance K70 keyboard+Razer Deathadder mouse

DellTM  UltraSharp UltraSharp U2713H @2560x1440
Win7 64bit

Online, offline, doesn't matter.

Edited by Jaws2002

Thanks Karaya .. that s the kind of info I was looking for ...

I am still debating whether to upgrade my system with a new motherboard and cpu. Especially with BOS being released soon, and DCS WWII being released in about a year.

I have been running this build for about 3 years now, and I usually update every couple of years.  But this system has been running so rock solid overclocked to 4ghz, and never has a blip, I just can't seem to pull the trigger and give it up just yet. Best I can tell if I do upgrade, probably about the best overclock I will get is around 4.5 ghz. Not that much greater than what I have now.

Maybe for the interim I will consider upping ram from 6gb to 12gb, and upgrading the GTX 560 Ti to maybe a GTX 680... wonder if that would help sims such as ROF and the BOS much...

I upgraded my rig a year ago.. (It doesn't seem that long ago) and it was the first time I did what amounts to a top of the line or near top of the line upgrade. Usually I go for a upper midlevel upgrade but this time I decided to go full tilt and since I am an AMD guy. :)

My previous rig was an AMD Fx-60 with 4G DDR400 RAM and a Nv GTX 265. I think that since you will get your mitts on BoS soon enough and an upgrade will only help with DCS if you can drop the $$$ now go for it.

My previous rig was an AMD Fx-60 with 4G DDR400 RAM and a Nv GTX 265. I think that since you will get your mitts on BoS soon enough and an upgrade will only help with DCS if you can drop the $$$ now go for it.

Yeah I may go ahead and do it here before the end of the year - will have some vacation time coming up and would be a good time if I am going to go ahead with a new mb and cpu. I would go ahead and upgrade vid card and ram as well.

Only dang thing is, having to go through a fresh install of everything - kind of a pain in the behind, but sometimes nothing beats a good cobweb cleaning.

Thanks,

Edited by dburnette

Karaya after taking into consideration your suggestions on some of those settings and playing around I came away with frames of 50-80 on the settings below under the same conditions. I have since tried V synch on and it looks even better..

RoF2_zpsb61e4a7b.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm running ROF pretty smooth at this settings:

My gaming box:

-------------------------------------------------

NZXT-Phantom 820 case; Corsair AX860 (860W) PSU

Asus Sabertooth Z77

i7 3770k@4.3GHz+ Noctua NH D14 cooler

EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.

8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600

Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD

WD 2TB HDD

CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45

Corsair Vengeance K70 keyboard+Razer Deathadder mouse

DellTM  UltraSharp UltraSharp U2713H @2560x1440

Win7 64bit

Online, offline, doesn't matter.

Jaws, why are you running "common" shadows? Those are only meant for 400 series Nvidia cards! See this RoF forum post for details...

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12384

Also setting a frame rate limit when you are already using VSync seems kind of redundant unless your refresh rate is 62!? If you use VSync I recommend setting the frame rate limit to a value 2Hz lower than your refresh rate to prevent input lag, I myself have VSync on (60Hz refresh rate) to prevent screen tearing and have my Nvidia driver set to a frame rate limit of 58 via Nvidia inspector, that way I dont get said input lag.

These are my settings

post-653-0-50266100-1379205187_thumb.jpg

Note: They are optimized for a good compromise between quality and performance, my system specs are in my signature.

- As said earlier I have VSync on to prevent screen tearing and my framerate globally locked in the graphics driver to 58 to remedy input lag.

- I personally dislike the bloom effect in RoF thats why I disabled it completely, not a performance compromise here.

- Forest visibility is set to Far because of performance considerations, very far and maximum chop off a good 25% of my overall fps (when Vsync and framelimit are disabled).

- Shaders is not at maximum because it takes up a lot of performance and is only noticeable at low altitudes.

- AA is set to 0 because I use high quality SMAA injection. Looks better, takes up less performance and doesnt make the planes blend into the surrounding at medium-far distances.

Hmm, just read on the RoF forums that "Common" shadows are meant for both 400 and 500 series cards... starting to wonder if they are also supposed to be used with 600 & 700 series cards. Does anybody have any official info on that!?

Don't worry about it anymore. It's an old setting that should probably go away. Common is less optimized and doesn't look as good, was a compatibility setting back when 4xx cards came out. Didn't apply to 5xx cards. All nVidia line can use special now, which are optimized for speed and look better.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently in 1.023 it does state that they are for 5xx cards too. However, it no longer applies. I'll see if I can find the post regarding that.

Edited by FuriousMeow

I used common basically forever and never noticed any issues, I guess I switch to special now, if it doesn't cause problems.

Karaya, if you use an FPS limit of 58 with VSync on, your screen never show more than 30 FPS. In that case, you could run higher settings anyway, until the settings cause the FPS to drop below 30 (I don't think they already do that for you?).

Or do you use triple buffering? That's what I do (using the D3D overrider of Rivatuner), but that might even cause input lag as well.

I used common basically forever and never noticed any issues, I guess I switch to special now, if it doesn't cause problems.

Karaya, if you use an FPS limit of 58 with VSync on, your screen never show more than 30 FPS. In that case, you could run higher settings anyway, until the settings cause the FPS to drop below 30 (I don't think they already do that for you?).

Or do you use triple buffering? That's what I do (using the D3D overrider of Rivatuner), but that might even cause input lag as well.

Why should it only show 30fps? While running fps counters it always shows up to said 58fps...

Because with Vsync on, it will synchronize it with the monitor refresh rate and assuming you use a 60hz monitor, with lower than 60 FPS, it will go down to 30 FPS to sychronize. Fraps only shows the FPS your graphics card could supply to the monitor without Vsync.

The way you're using it, you will actually have a steady 30 FPS all the time (unless it goes lower than 30 FPS, then it will show 20 FPS), not a FPS more or less.

So overall, if you stay with Vsync on and are happy with 30 FPS (which you seem to be), you can just crank up all settings, as long as fraps shows more than 30 FPS with no performance loss whatsoever.

Unless you use triple buffering. Then it could show everything between 30 and 58 FPS, but with the 1 frame input lag.

Max high settings (excluding supersampling) lots planes big map,bad weather, never drop below 30fps in any situation, normally locked at 60fps and super smooth no stutters

i5 3570k/H100i @ 4.5kHz GTX770 16GB 1600mgz ram SAD

That i5 and GTX770 seem to be the performance/price sweetspot atmo. i7 has no performance advantage and the extra money for 780 Is better spent else ware....watercooler, or SSD.

Is there a "Blackdeath" benchmark for ROF? Is hard to compare two persons experience, have only dabbled with ROF but it looks great!

Cheers Dakpilot

no 'black death' equivalent available however I have been testing with the following:

3570K @4.2ghz / Gigabyte Z77 UD4H / 8gb DDR 1333 / Asus Direct CU2 GTX 570 1.3gb vram / Vertex 4 128gb SSD on a 1980 x 1200 monitor.

fraps-test-rof.jpg

Ten recordings, totaling 42 minutes FRAPS, I got   Average 54 - Minimum 35 - Maximum 74.

Edited by No601_Merlin

Im using 1920x1200 and ROF works fine on max (super sampling and hdr off). My rig is i7 3.5 ghz, GTX 660 Ti, 6GB of RAM....As you can see Im using 16:10 monitor as i find it more suitable for sims than 16:9 monitors which are basically better for movies.....

Setting on high, 1920x 1080 I do not run post effects or AA but I do run sweet FX.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory 6144MB RAM
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA
Motherboard Asus something or other
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1ghz
Monitor 24" HD AOC
Sound On board Sound Card
Speakers headphones

It would be great if everyone put frame rates you are getting

Edited by No601_Merlin

The more replies the better but it would if everyone put frame rates you are getting

Well if we say we can run ROF smoothly on high settings at that resolution that means that most of us have min 50 FPs...I have FPS locked at 60 (in ROF video settings) as Im using vsync (I have TrackIR) and refresh rate of my monitor is 60....ofcourse, on some occasions fps can drop a bit (many planes in close dogfight) but nothing that is alarming...Also in my experience, in ROF, you can gain a signifficant bump in performance if you turn off reflections, shadows, post processing (not essential anyways) and tone down AA and AF a bit...sim still looks nice....

Edited by Tvrdi

I get 40 to 45 fps with my cheap set up on high settings with no post processing or AA/AF and sweetFX. Frame rate refresh locked at 60.  I do run shadows and reflections too.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply Tvrdi, with respect 'smoothly' is an opinion, numbers are exact. The original poster and others need FPS.

Edited by No601_Merlin