6./ZG26_Gielow

BoS 1920x1080 High Settings Hardware

I've got an 770 with 4gb and together with i5 2500K (not overclocked yet) runs ROF and BoS smooth and nice (haven't see any need to measure the FPS since no problem with smoothness and etc.) on 2560x1440 screen, all settings on max, only V-sync and SSAO (or any blurry funny stuff) off!

I got

Nvidia GeForce 8800GS, 2 GB ram, Core 2 Duo E222

and do you think BoS can lunch at low settings ?

CPU Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz 6MB Socket 1150 84W con GPU HD Graphics 4600

MB Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H Socket 1150 Intel H87 DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX

RAM DDR3 G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAB PC3-12800 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) 9-9-9 2N XMP

PSU XFX ProSeries 650W Core Edition

HSF Cooler Master Hyper 412S Socket Intel Amd

VGA Gigabyte GV-N770OC-2GD nVidia GeForce GTX 770 OC Core 1137/1189MHz Memory GDDR5 7010MHz 2GB DVI HDMI DP

How about this ? :)

OK folks, I've seen some NASA ops comupters lined up here, but will it run on an average PC? I have 6 G RAM, an i7-920 @ 2,66 (ish?) and a GTX 470 with a bit more than 1G. (sorry, I'm no tech guru) I can run RoF at maximum settings and CloD at near maximum. Now will I be able to run BOS without having to set everything to low? (There's no budget for a new rig so please don't suggest I buy new stuff, just let me know how well it will handle BoS  :P  ) Cheers!

Edited by Reflected

OK folks, I've seen some NASA ops comupters lined up here, but will it run on an average PC? I have 6 G RAM, an i7-920 @ 2,66 (ish?) and a GTX 470 with a bit more than 1G. (sorry, I'm no tech guru) I can run RoF at maximum settings and CloD at near maximum. Now will I be able to run BOS without having to set everything to low? (There's no budget for a new rig so please don't suggest I buy new stuff, just let me know how well it will handle BoS  :P  ) Cheers!

I think you're good to go. If you're running RoF at maximum, then I see no problem.

I run two 2560x1440 monitors for work but only play ROF with one monitor (although the other one is always connected) Does anyone think having the second monitor switched on will affect the performance?

I'm looking at a 770 GTX but not 100% sure if I really need 4 Gig of memory, I'm assuming that it would be a safer bet but I'd like to keep cost down as much as possible.

P.S my rig runs ROF fairly well but even on medium settings the FPS is low in BOS @ 2560x1440!

i5 @ 4.2 MHz

580 GTX 3 Gig VRAM

8 Gig Memory

2 x SSD one for windows and one for games

Edited by JG5_Emil

I run GTX760, with full hd monitor 23" at 50 fps,for  my choise...

never freeze or blur...

my setting:

2a960bl.jpg

I run two 2560x1440 monitors for work but only play ROF with one monitor (although the other one is always connected) Does anyone think having the second monitor switched on will affect the performance?

I'm looking at a 770 GTX but not 100% sure if I really need 4 Gig of memory, I'm assuming that it would be a safer bet but I'd like to keep cost down as much as possible.

P.S my rig runs ROF fairly well but even on medium settings the FPS is low in BOS @ 2560x1440!

i5 @ 4.2 MHz

580 GTX 3 Gig VRAM

8 Gig Memory

2 x SSD one for windows and one for games

You'd have to up the resolution to stretch across two monitors, and with the resolution going up you'd need more VRAM. I push 1.3GB of VRAM usage right now max settings (AA through SweetFX) on a 770, and have the 2GB model. Running 2560x1600. I'm not sure if there will be a lot of tweaks/optimizations to bring that memory footprint down, but that's where it's at right now.

Sorry FM I'm not wanting to use both monitors for BOS I was wondering firstly if I am getting less performance because that other one is switched on and connected although it's not doing anything if you get what I mean. Another way of putting it would be to ask if I would get a performance gain by disconnecting it for gaming. Sometimes I might leave a internet browser or steam running on the 2nd one but that's it.

My other question was if I am running BOS in 2560x1440 do I need more than 2 Gig of VRAM or would it just be a waste of money?

Sorry FM I'm not wanting to use both monitors for BOS I was wondering firstly if I am getting less performance because that other one is switched on and connected although it's not doing anything if you get what I mean. Another way of putting it would be to ask if I would get a performance gain by disconnecting it for gaming. Sometimes I might leave a internet browser or steam running on the 2nd one but that's it.

My other question was if I am running BOS in 2560x1440 do I need more than 2 Gig of VRAM or would it just be a waste of money?

Oh, no - that won't cost you any performance simply having the secondary monitor. Only if you stretched the graphics resolution to be on both panels would you see a performance hit.

However, at that resolution - if you can afford the 4GB model I would go for it. I'm hoping my 2GB card will be sufficient, I don't plan on ever playing higher than my current res or across three monitors (hoping for OR at a nice resolution, higher than 1920x1080). I'm at about 60% VRAM usage with BoS, signifcantly less with RoF, so there is breathing room but in a year I might be looking to sell of this card for a 4GB model (or go up to the 780 and get a 3GB) if more features are added that eat up more VRAM. Currently you don't need more than 2GB, but we are early alpha and I'm seeing about a 1.2GB footprint which could go up or down - so come release day next Spring, a 4GB to run everything on full might be more of a requirement.

But it's all a guessing game right now so I can only offer up advice based on the current build.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Like FM said, you might consider a GTX 780, because in higher resolutions (monitors) the GTX 770 might give you a memory bus bottleneck, since it still uses 256 bits. The GTX 780 is 384 bits. And you might use the other monitor in the future to show maps and such (which would be nice). 

For example, I read that the GTX 770 4GB can use only around 3.2GB of its vram, because the limited memory bus won't accept more. But if you don't intend to go ballistic with multiple monitors, maybe the GTX 770 2GB is enough for ROF and BoS.

I might stretch to a 4GB 770 but I am not going crazy spending 400-500 on a card again like I did the last time.

Can't see myself going multiple monitors, the one I have is so wide anyway the other two would be pointless, I'd rather more vertical room.

Also thinking about replacing my 5 year old pc. No exact budget but i'm thinking of less than 1000 USD  (monitor, keyboard, mouse not included).

Please let me know what do you think about this:

- i5-3570@3,4Ghz   (don't think i want to OC, is there a better choice for similar cost?)

- 8 GB RAM (2x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz ?)

- GTX 660 2 GB (i seem to prefer nVidia with no exact reason  :biggrin: . I haven't really found any other nVidia similar to this price/performance. Or would you persuade me into considering a Radeon? Also which manufacturer ?)

- PSU  -  not sure, ~500W should be enough, right?

- SSD not planned

- unsure about other components  :biggrin:

Is it a balanced configuration? It would work probably with an 1920x1080.

Win 8 or 7 (both would be new to me) ?

Thanks for input in advance  :salute:

Any other ideas? It's time to decide  :biggrin:

Edited by rolikiraly

Any other ideas? It's time to decide  :biggrin:

Have you checked the i5-4570 or the 4670? They are usually at the same price of the older Ivy Bridge parts and they are stronger. You can also choose an H81 motherboard if you intend to save some money (which one did you chose for the Ivy Bridge?). Have you checked the GTX 760 too? It is $50 more and it will give you more longevity to it, because it is a good cost benefit card. The PSU and the memory are right. There are good options in the 520W range, like Antec.

I just don't know how the prices in your location are.

You can use a little program called FRAPS - open before you open BoS and it shows the frame rate in a corner of the screen. You can find it on the internet easily enough.

As for FPS I run a 60 Hz TV and use a 60 frame limit and can see no stuttering: anything above this probably pointless so why not try 60?

I got 30 to 60 fps , fps max set to 60, when doing rounds in cockpit in Me 109, mostly stuck at 37 to 40 fps.

GPU maxed at 50 percent use and memory use at 800 Megabyte. Smooth and without any hiccups what so ever but what is holding it back?

Master

Have you checked the i5-4570 or the 4670? They are usually at the same price of the older Ivy Bridge parts and they are stronger. You can also choose an H81 motherboard if you intend to save some money (which one did you chose for the Ivy Bridge?). Have you checked the GTX 760 too? It is $50 more and it will give you more longevity to it, because it is a good cost benefit card. The PSU and the memory are right. There are good options in the 520W range, like Antec.

I just don't know how the prices in your location are.

Thanks for the help!

It seems that a 4570 is slightly cheaper than 3570, while 4670 is slightly more expensive. In fact i thought that the 3.2 Ghz speed of the 4570 would be a significant drawback (compared to 3.4 of the 3570), but then i took your advice, made a quick search and found that the two are about the same performance (because the newer tech of the 4570 i guess?). So i should probably go with it (?)

Of course i've checked the gtx760 and it's clearly a better, more future-proof card compared to the 660, I'm just not sure if i could take that +50 USD (more like +70-80 USD here :( )

Any exact recommendations about hard drive and case ? I would want the most simple and cost effective of these that could do the job reliably (matching the above parts) and last for a few years

Thanks for the help!

It seems that a 4570 is slightly cheaper than 3570, while 4670 is slightly more expensive. In fact i thought that the 3.2 Ghz speed of the 4570 would be a significant drawback (compared to 3.4 of the 3570), but then i took your advice, made a quick search and found that the two are about the same performance (because the newer tech of the 4570 i guess?). So i should probably go with it (?)

Of course i've checked the gtx760 and it's clearly a better, more future-proof card compared to the 660, I'm just not sure if i could take that +50 USD (more like +70-80 USD here :( )

Any exact recommendations about hard drive and case ? I would want the most simple and cost effective of these that could do the job reliably (matching the above parts) and last for a few years

Sure! And yeah, I think that it can make a difference for being a newer CPU, since they changed some instructions. Newer software's and the OS might benefit from it and the socket is new too, so you might have another generation to upgrade to. The Ivy Bridge is the last of the 1155 socket. But when you need to upgrade the Haswell it will be so far ahead that you might change it all, so I would not make my decision based on upgrade options. But the 8 series motherboards (for the Haswell) are better than the Ivy Bridge counterparts, so, altogether with the newer instructions, it might be a good idea to stick with either a 4570 or a 4670.

Regarding the HDD, I usually buy Samsung or Seagate, but I don't know much about it. It has to be SATA 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s (it won't matter in between the two, because they never go up 300mb/s). Just buy one with preferably 64MB of cache and 7200 rpm (I would not buy the 5400 ones, they are mainly for notebooks, since they spend less energy). But you could Google it, like "best HDD 7200". You might come up with some good results. But they are all good, with few exceptions, because the bottleneck is mostly in the disc, not the technology anymore.

The case has a lot to do with taste, but it is a good idea to buy one with the PSU on the bottom (better air flow) and some lateral and upward vents. USB 3.0 ports is something to consider too (I use a 3.0 pen drive). I have a Carbide 300R (awesome rig and somewhat cheap), but I also bought a Thermaltake Versa I (there is the Versa II). It is a good case, ventilated and with USB 3.0 port.

Edited by Seawolf

The Haswell can do more Instructions Per Clock than it's predecessor. That alone makes a performance difference.

I got 30 to 60 fps , fps max set to 60, when doing rounds in cockpit in Me 109, mostly stuck at 37 to 40 fps.

GPU maxed at 50 percent use and memory use at 800 Megabyte. Smooth and without any hiccups what so ever but what is holding it back?

Master

Not sure what resolution you are running at or anything about yr graphics card: I am at 1920-1080 using a Nvidea GTX 780.

I'm only getting 30-40 fps on max settings with CPU and GPU only at 30-50% and with still a lot of RAM to spare. Any idea what the problem may be?

my rig: Phenom II x4 955BE at 3.2ghz, GTX 670 2gb, 4GB ram, running on 1920x1080

I'm only getting 30-40 fps on max settings with CPU and GPU only at 30-50% and with still a lot of RAM to spare. Any idea what the problem may be?

my rig: Phenom II x4 955BE at 3.2ghz, GTX 670 2gb, 4GB ram, running on 1920x1080

Try an overclock to 3.6GHz and see if you get some fps gain. Is the game smooth at the moment?

Not sure what resolution you are running at or anything about yr graphics card: I am at 1920-1080 using a Nvidea GTX 780.

I'm at 1920x1080 and have AMD R9 280x , se my sig, I think it schould be able to do better since the hardware is not maxed out.

Master

Edited by Mastermariner

I'm at 1920x1080 and have AMD R9 280x , se my sig, I think it schould be able to do better since the hardware is not maxed out.

Master

What I meant was that since I use Nvidea I know nothing about AMD cards. I would have thought you could get better FPS... only thing I can think of is to adjust graphic settings a bit, AA in particular, and see if there is any improvement. Aside from that I have reached my technical limit. Good luck!

Master

Since you say that it runs smooth, there is the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

But if you wonder why the fps is so low, you might get some good results with an overclock, and your rig is 100% set for it. The FX-8320 does not have much single threaded power, and ROF and BoS not only like single threaded performance but an aggressive overclock. BoS game engine uses 2 cores, plus another for OS and this and that, so you more or less have five cores sitting around while the rest do the job. If you give some gas in the cores that are being used, you might see a lot of improvement.

When I moved from my Phenom 1090T (which is stronger than yours in single thread) to my i7-3770K, I gained from 10 to 20 fps in ROF with the same HD 6870. Now I have a GTX 770 and it stays most of the time at 60fps (I limited to 60). The R9 280X is pretty much equal to the 770, so you ought to have similar results in 1920x1080.

Just a suggestion (my 2 cents), because not everyone likes or knows how to overclock. And it might not work, but I am pretty sure that you are going to see a difference.
Edited by Seawolf

S!

No idea what my FPS is, but BoS runs very smoothly without any hiccups whatsoever on my rig. I have everything maxed out except AF on 8x and FSAA Off and SSAO disabled through startup.cfg. System as in signature and latest WHQL drivers.

The game isn't well optimized for AMD GPUs.

I got an AMD 290X + i7 2600k @4.5 (Win7 64bit) and it did lag for me if settings were maxed out.

CPU usage is 15%, GPU usage is ~40% and I got 50-55 fps even in 640x480  :dry:

wHTNcx4.png

I figured out that problem was ... Forest view distance:

• Upvote 2

S!

I need to test this as with my AMD 290X I have no problems whatsoever. Using latest WHQL drivers.

Hello every one,

I noticed with the Anti-Aliasing (in the AMD Catalyst Control Center) if set to supersampling affected frames alot, especialy when in or near the smoke stacks (Starlingrad).

Multisampling (selected) improved performance from what was experienced this end.

Currently Im running X2 HD 7900 Series cards in Crossfire, but Im guessing its only using one card at the moment with this sim, not sure on that one?.

S!

Boomerang, multi GPU is not properly supported yet so you would be better of with Crossfire disabled and using only one card. There might be workarounds, but I would rather wait for official support.

I hear Intel is going to cease making M/boards :(

So it was decided to purchase the last of the Extreme series M/boards thier making to date.

Apparently there where Ram issues prior to the latest BIOS update.

Have not decided what GPU to go for yet, but Im leaning toward the 780Ti, but like the 290X also.

Samsung for the SSD and Raptor or raided Raptor pair.

Ripjaws for ram (ramdisk)

K series CPU

Gold series Power supply, (A brand with a good 12v rail)

The system will fly like an Eagle, just hope its pilot can become as natural as the Eagle one day. :joy:

Now when we have had early access for some time, it would be interesting to hear how are people doing with lower end rigs. And how are AMD CPUs coping with BoS, especially FX-4XXX or  -6XXX ones. Any experience anyone?

Now when we have had early access for some time, it would be interesting to hear how are people doing with lower end rigs. And how are AMD CPUs coping with BoS, especially FX-4XXX or  -6XXX ones. Any experience anyone?

I have a AMD Phenom 6 core 3.2 GHz, 8gig Ram and an NVidia 650 1gig running on a Samsung 32" HDTV and I am getting (about) 25/30 fps on high settings.