6./ZG26_Gielow

BoS 1920x1080 High Settings Hardware

Thanks for the reply Tvrdi, with respect 'smoothly' is an opinion, numbers are exact. The original poster and others need FPS.

FPS alone wont tell you much about actual performance of a sim on specific PC. Thats what Ive learned over the years...may years of simming....Smooth performance might be subjective but rl experience, where player didnt notice any signifficant or very noticable slowdown or any other issue when playing in MP....With that said, Im (in most cases) 50+ FPS...and thers no noticable slowdowns which will impact on my gameplay experience (all that with video settings I posted before)...which is more important than pure numbers...you can have avg FPS of 45 and be happy camper...then again you can jump to 75 and drop to 20 now and then and have a crappy experience...ROF engine is pretty good optimised now (with its limitations ofcourse)....I had it running on my old GTX 470 on max no probs...I NOTICED FPS drop only when using full zoom view....now, with GTX 660Ti its gone....all that is on 1920x1200 monitor with 60Hz....

After all, you all can do a test with your rigs...fire up ROF, join crowdy server and try different video settings....-10%...and its what you will probably have in BOS....

BTW, fot those who dont know...its always good to have "clean" win7 installation just for gaming..lets say without antiviruses, firewalls and all other resource hogs...Its always good to defragment disc after every update with MyDefrag (its free) and to clean registry with Wise registry cleaner (free) or Yamicsoft Windows 7 manager.....

links for download:

Wise registry cleaner

MyDefrag

Edited by Tvrdi
  • Upvote 1

you can jump to 75 and drop to 20 now and then and have a crappy experience

I agree even after flying IL2 for 12 years there are still times when frame rate drops in certain situations. Salvation may be at hand though if the following test is accurate although this video shows the relative performance of the 8350 v 3570K it also compares their performance Windows 7 v Windows 8 and it appears that Windows 8 will increase the minimum fps for a small loss on average, and give smoother gameplay  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHnsfIJtZ2o

• Upvote 1

Some friendly advice regarding your settings:

1) You might want to either disable Super Sampling or drop AA down to 2... the two dont work well with each other and you are going to burn a lot of performance for little to no gain. The devs themselves recommend to never exceed 2xAA when using SS because it's such a performance killer!

2) Setting up a framerate limit, preferrably to the same value as that of your monitor refresh rate, can also improve performance because it will stop your system from rendering excess frames that are of no use to you anyways (your monitor can only render as many frames as its refresh rate).

3) I recommend to disable high contrast and instead edit your startup.cfg (found in the "RoF/data/" folder). Search for the line "saturation = " and increase the value (default is 0.75, I use 0.85 myself), it makes textures seem less washed out and more vivid.

4) Talking about the startup.cfg: Few people know but there is a hidden "Depth of field" effect hidden in there. Just search for "post_dof_enable = " and set its value to 1 to enable, 0 to disable. It will quite obviously only work with post effects globally enabled. So what does it do? it simulates the auto focusing of the human eye on near/far objects, so when you look at your instrument panel objects that are further away will get blurred and vice versa. It is a very neat thing but never got past the experimental stage in RoF.

Super sampling IS a form of AA. In fact  its the most powerful and effective form of anti aliasing, but also  very costly performance wise. SS cost is directly proportional to  your screen resolution, the higher, the worse the cost will be.

Very interesting vid about Win7 versus Win8, sometimes a benefit of 15FPS in minimums which are the really important figures, you could spend a LOTof $$ on hardware to get that sort of increase,WAY more than an $80 OS upgrade!

Anyone noticed min FPS improvement on ROF with Win8? also talk of better memory utilisation and SSD use and generally better performance, OS GUI not important if there are big gains like that to be had? seems the biggest gains are with newer titles, perhaps BOS will also run better...

Wil have to do some research

Cheers Dakpilot

Interesting , as I will be doing a complete new build in the upcoming weeks, I may have to give Win8 a try. Curious to others experience with it, I had intended on staying with Win 7 64 bit as it has been so good... Might have to reconsider that.

Consider 8.1 if you do, should just be another few weeks till it's release and maybe wait a few weeks after it's release to make sure it's up to the hype. I've been looking into it. It seems Win8 is Win98 and Win8.1 is Win98SE where it drastically improved functionalities and made it a worthwhile upgrade. It's a very loose comparison but from what I've seen it's apt and most people who hated Win8 are more receptive to Win8.1.

It's still stupid to have designed an OS to merge mobile devices and laptop/desktops with a touch screen interface because they are just two freaking different things. Very few, if any, home/business users have a touch screen and even if they did the majority of work on a laptop/desktop requires mouse/keyboard. That was just a brilliant move to think it made sense introducing a touch screen focused home screen to desktops/laptops as the primary function of accessibility. It's like putting the steering wheel of a car beneath your butt.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Consider 8.1 if you do, should just be another few weeks till it's release and maybe wait a few weeks after it's release to make sure it's up to the hype. I've been looking into it. It seems Win8 is Win98 and Win8.1 is Win98SE where it drastically improved functionalities and made it a worthwhile upgrade. It's a very loose comparison but from what I've seen it's apt and most people who hated Win8 are more receptive to Win8.1.

I just asked about this again in my other thread, before I saw your reply here - thank you very much!

While I am getting the components together now, will be getting a few more in the coming weeks, do not plan on actually doing the build until sometime during the holidays when I have some time off and can devote a few days to doing the build, installing everything, and getting it overclocked to where I want.

I will hold off on the OS until just before I plan on doing the build, by then hopefully 8.1 as you mentioned will be out and I will hear some of the early reports. I have been very happy with Win 7 64 bit, got it when it first came out - but if this one is an improvement, I will certainly get it as I will be doing a new install anyway and that would be a good time.

Thanks,

Hello,

i am playing Rise of Flight with my PC- Configuration on Maximum :)  

The PC- Config:

Windows 7

Intel i 5 3550

SSD 840 Samsung 240 GB

12 GB DDR 3 Ram

ATI Sapphire HD 7950 3 GB Vapor-X

And i HOPE that will be enough for the:   NEXT GENERATION OF SIMS ;)

Edited by Wolfskid

So, would you guys say that 2GB video card would be safe for BoS? I use a 1920X1080p monitor and I might get one of those extrawide 29” in the future, but I like to use super sampling and I intend to max out everything. I might upgrade my HD 6870 at the end of the year and I am not sure if I need to consider a 3GB Radeon instead of a 2GB Nvidia; probably a GTX 770.

Cheers,

So, would you guys say that 2GB video card would be safe for BoS? I use a 1920X1080p monitor and I might get one of those extrawide 29” in the future, but I like to use super sampling and I intend to max out everything. I might upgrade my HD 6870 at the end of the year and I am not sure if I need to consider a 3GB Radeon instead of a 2GB Nvidia; probably a GTX 770.

Cheers,

I would think so, at least for a while. You can probably get a feel for it, by downloading and running the free to play version of ROF, pretty much the same graphics engine but with  different models/objects.

I like to monitor my GPU and Vram usage, seem like running ROF - on almost full settings, mine does not even break a sweet. IIRC, don't think it even uses a GB of vram, and GPU usage down around 70% or so.

Best of luck,

I would think so, at least for a while. You can probably get a feel for it, by downloading and running the free to play version of ROF, pretty much the same graphics engine but with  different models/objects.

I like to monitor my GPU and Vram usage, seem like running ROF - on almost full settings, mine does not even break a sweet. IIRC, don't think it even uses a GB of vram, and GPU usage down around 70% or so.

Best of luck,

Thanks, I have ROF and I think it maxes out around 50/70% with 2GB and SS, depending on the resolution. Maybe BoS will be not that different.

Cheers,

I agree with dburnette. The only caveat would be higher resolutions and very high AA, but even then I'm not sure it would get that high.

Obviously going a very high res to accomodate multiple monitors and adding AA into the mix - might be pushing it then, and additionally if you plan on playing other games at high res/multi-monitor/high AA - then 4GB could be a worthwhile investment.

I don't think BoS will require more than a few % more VRAM, unless the skin resolution is extremely high for the aircraft.

A 4GB card is a safe purchase, but it comes down to what else you play. If you have the money for it, then I would go for it (I would have if the 4GB versions had existed when I purchased my card).

Very interesting vid about Win7 versus Win8, sometimes a benefit of 15FPS in minimums which are the really important figures, you could spend a LOTof $$ on hardware to get that sort of increase,WAY more than an $80 OS upgrade!

Anyone noticed min FPS improvement on ROF with Win8? also talk of better memory utilisation and SSD use and generally better performance, OS GUI not important if there are big gains like that to be had? seems the biggest gains are with newer titles, perhaps BOS will also run better...

Wil have to do some research

Cheers Dakpilot

I did run RoF on Win8 and I can tell you no FPS difference in Win8-64 nor Win7-64!!!!!  Short after the release of Win8 some sites did some testing Win8/Win7 was not a real difference. I would spent your $$ to Bos/RoF planes. 

Her mine: 

i5-2500k

8Gb RAM

Win7-64

HD7970

TrackIR5

Simped

MS-FF2

Kenwood 2x80Watt

B&W speakers

2560x1440 Dell 27" 

running between 35-60 FPS on the Channel map using PW-CG all maxed activities settings.  

I will post my printscreen later, hope somebody can do the judgments .

I did run RoF on Win8 and I can tell you no FPS difference in Win8-64 nor Win7-64!!!!!  Short after the release of Win8 some sites did some testing Win8/Win7 was not a real difference. I would spent your $$ to Bos/RoF planes. 

you went back to Win 7,  were results based on Win 8 beta use ?

In the test of win7 Vs win8 it was only in minimum FPS that a significant difference was seen, over about five games I think it was average about 10fps with high max FPS, the average was not noticeably changed either, but in practical real world performance it is that minimum FPS that is crucial, and also usually the most expensive, hardware wise to improve.

but as said probably better spending the money on extra A/C  :) but if considering the upgrade the performance bonus (if applicable in ROF or BOS) could swing it, hard to confirm definitively without being able to do back to back benchmarks tho..  

Cheers Dakpilot 

I agree with dburnette. The only caveat would be higher resolutions and very high AA, but even then I'm not sure it would get that high.

Obviously going a very high res to accomodate multiple monitors and adding AA into the mix - might be pushing it then, and additionally if you plan on playing other games at high res/multi-monitor/high AA - then 4GB could be a worthwhile investment.

I don't think BoS will require more than a few % more VRAM, unless the skin resolution is extremely high for the aircraft.

A 4GB card is a safe purchase, but it comes down to what else you play. If you have the money for it, then I would go for it (I would have if the 4GB versions had existed when I purchased my card).

Yes, I think so too. As I only play sims, I was not sure if I needed more than 2GB, because a 4GB Nvidia is too expensive over here. Then I would hather pick a R9 280X. But I want to try Nvidia this time and the 770 Lightning is looking good. Since I work and play games with my rig, I will never buy a triple monitor. I might be safe then.

-----edit-----

For some reason, the quote box isn't showing in my posts.

Edited by Seawolf

you went back to Win 7,  were results based on Win 8 beta use ?

No the real pro one, 

The problem here is that people are going from win7 to win8 for some-king of reason like new HD or new rig, so the windows is fresh. In my case both were fresh and I do only play RoF on a separate boot that contains only two other games so no interference from virusscan etc, which are not installed. 

My experience is only on RoF and I'm using HWInfo/Afterburner to analyse everything in the OSD of Rof. Windows were both tweaked like hell and mean and lean!!!  I'm running roftests whit Vsync on and frame rate limited to 60

Windows8 does have a very beautiful layout and is very quick in startup and shutdown.

Here my, spec's are posted above, sorry only 2560x1440 and would also get to hear possible  improvements from your guys.  think Vcard adjustments are rather important, would like to know what is better run on AMD optimized or on application settings in catalyst. 

post-587-0-73914500-1380439674_thumb.jpg

post-587-0-01986300-1380439689_thumb.jpg

If running Channel map SS is unchecked and AA is set from 2 to max. 

Edited by Dutch2

Operating System: Windows 7 64bits SP1

Processor: Intel® Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Monitor : IPS226 21.5" , 1920*1024

I can run ROF with these settings :

1381344038-rofsetting.png

Some screens :

1381344220-rof-2013-10-09-20-37-38-33.pn

1381344223-rof-2013-10-09-20-35-55-57.pn

1381344231-rof-2013-10-09-20-37-06-24.pn

The screens show 30-40 FPS but I encouter no freeze and don't get trouble to shot down this nieuport (except i'm a bad shooter). In game it's was around 60, when I go far from the ground and the city.

That's my current settings :

1381342625-rofsetting.png

Screens IG :

1381342439-rof-2013-10-09-20-08-07-71.pn

1381342723-rof-2013-10-09-20-10-41-47.pn

With my lil' monitor I see no difference :)

ps : You can click on screenshot to open it with bigger size.

Edited by F/JG300_Gaspote

My rig specification r

Asus 5PKR mobo

4 gb ddr2

e6550 intel c2duo

ganward gtx 460 1 gb

I m able to run rof on thise settings

NewPicture1_zps682995be.jpg

But in mp i m having problems , and only in mp. sp works fine.

Video showing plane worping on mp, but my ping shows 40 -60 on europine servers.

th_rof2013-10-1301-35-07-38_xvid_mpeg2vi

So i m not surten is it a comp problem or a internet problem.

Cable internet 10 mbt download and 1 mb upload

I have got an amd phenom II 1090t cpu @ 6x3,7 ghz, 16 gb ram @ 1.700 mhz and an amd hd 7970ghz editon with 1.175mhz gpuclock and 3gb @1.518mhz vram.

It runs pretty smooth with the following settings (30-60fps)

sWKt7NL.png

Edited by 7./Sch.G.2_BuRNeR

Hi BurNer Could you also printscreen also you catalyst settings????  

Edited by Dutch2

No problem.

Here is my ccc and MSI afterburner :

dXQOvPK.jpg

Here in my whole rig: link.gif

Oh, and my average frames were 35-40. I started to fly Rise of Flights just a couple of weeks ago, so I have got not so much experience in it till now.

God damned Burner, my wife is also looking this post, how the hell can I explain this as a flight sim.  

See you are running a beta catalyst, because mine is set to GPU: 1100 & Vram: 1500 Mhz max  in Afterburner,

Set AA to 2 when using SS, lower reflections and limit the FPSbegrenzer to 60, now you will get  more near the 40-60  FpS.  

OpenGL can be off because RoF is a DirectX game. 

Nice tool for afterburner is HWinfo BTw, this is a handy to check everything you want to check in OSB.  

• Upvote 1

Oh, well I got about 1.000 wallpapers which changing in every 30 min. Most of them were just female "pilots" ;).

Btt.: if I use the frame limiter does it have the same effect like v-sync ? I mean do I have tearing when I switch off V-sync ?. 

Oh, and I´ve got HW-Info, Aida64, cpu-z and gpu-z to get all needed HW informations ;). but I don´t use osd, because i´ve got a Logitech G19 which works very well with these Programs.

And msi afterburner is a must have tool to oc your videocard. You can also do higher voltage to your gpu if you want. But a good cooling is necessary. 

And you have a monitoring tool too. RoF used 1,9-2 GB V-ram on my settings, which means in higher resolutions it will be more then 2 GB and some videocards were bottlenecked there with just 2GB v-ram.

These ccc settings were just my default settings for the most games I´ve got. Just IL2 1946 got a special profile because there is forced AA needed. 

Edited by 7./Sch.G.2_BuRNeR

I mean do I have tearing when I switch off V-sync ?.

Yes, you will get tearing. The FPS limiter doesn't prevent tearing at all, it just limits the FPS.

Ok, thx for the info.

Problem is according to Jason more then 60fps does not bring you anything. By setting to 60limit max you avoid the big fluctuation.

Try to get Vsync off and see by your self, I know that when running the HD4890 on my low resolution monitor I never had any problems in tearing, but now running the HD7970 on 2560x1440 I can not go without.  

Did test my HD7970 and 1100/1500 was the limit using powerlimit 20. 

Edited by Dutch2

What will be more important for BoS, CPU - or GPU Power?

I´ve got:

AMD X4 965 (3,4), 8 Gig DDR 3 Ram, GeForce GTX 760

What will be more important for BoS, CPU - or GPU Power?

I´ve got:

AMD X4 965 (3,4), 8 Gig DDR 3 Ram, GeForce GTX 760

If I were to judge by the results I get in ROF, I would have to say first would be CPU, but it is important to match a good video card with it, so you don't get a bottleneck.

Like my current system is a I7 920 overclocked to 4.00 ghz, with a GTX 560 Ti 2gb video card. They seem to match up pretty well, the results in ROF are very good.

While I have no first hand knowledge, I would say for BOS probably a min of 2gb or more video memory on the video card would be the best choice. I would not go much lower than that, might can get by with 1.5 gb of vram but not much room to spare probably on that.

I would say a good Nvidia card, in say the 600 series lineup, especially say the 680 would be really good - if one has a good cpu with some good horsepower, even one of the 700 series cards. Probably if the cpu is lower in horsepower, like say less than 3 ghz or so, a 500 series card would probably match up well.

I am building a new system over the holidays, have most of the components now, and will be matching an I7 4820K cpu, that I plan on running at around 4.5-4.6 ghz, and a GTX 770 4gb video card.

Edit: Just saw the last line of your post, I would say your in pretty good shape with that setup.

Edited by dburnette

Hello guys !!

Lets start a new topic where people can list their hardware that can run ROF in maximum settings, so we can have an idea of what to buy to run BoS in high performance.

Only post here your especs if you can run ROF in High and 1920x1080 or questions about other people hardware.

I am interested to know if the new nvidia 770 vga can run ROF in full settings ???

I can run ROF in maximum settings:

i7 second generation

8 gigs ram 1333

VGA ATI 6990 (2 cpus)

Average FPS: 60

I can run ROF at max settings 1980 x 1200 with my i7 quad core 2.3ghz laptop 12 gigs ram and Nividia 560M 3 gig graphics card.

I will not be able to upgrade for at least another year at the earliest, more like two years from now...

Hello guys !!

Lets start a new topic where people can list their hardware that can run ROF in maximum settings, so we can have an idea of what to buy to run BoS in high performance.

Only post here your especs if you can run ROF in High and 1920x1080 or questions about other people hardware.

I am interested to know if the new nvidia 770 vga can run ROF in full settings ???

I have a 570, and yes, it runs fine in full settings. Apart from the daft idea of supersampling at x2, which looks no different to multi-sampling at x8. But I'm sure Furbs will jump in here and correct me, because I never did use that 'Nvidia inspector' thing. Sorry Furbs. :)

I can run ROF at max settings 1980 x 1200 with my i7 quad core 2.3ghz laptop 12 gigs ram and Nividia 560M 3 gig graphics card.

I will not be able to upgrade for at least another year at the earliest, more like two years from now...

Think you are not running at max settings, max settings does means all on max and everything selected, so it is SS on and AA set to 8x.  Now back again to RoF and pull out to the real max and report back by publish your settings in a printscreen. 

Edited by Dutch2

Think you are not running at max settings, max settings does means all on max and everything selected, so it is SS on and AA set to 8x.  Now back again to RoF and pull out to the real max and report back by publish your settings in a printscreen. 

Ok, here ya go, sorry I'm running it at 1920 x 1080 ops.

ROFgraphics.jpg

ROFgtx560ma.jpg

Edited by thx1138

Even at those settings, if you are able to run it well on a 2.3 ghz laptop, you are doing very well!

So, I bought the GTX 770 2GB and it is enough for 1920X1080. The GPU stays around 60% with everything maxed out at ROF with SS and 2XAA. The most 80% at ground level in some cases. The question is, if I max it out at ROF with Supersampling and 2XAA, I get stuttering with TrackIR 5 at low level flight, where all the objects like cities and aerodromes are.

My basic specs:

Windows 7 64bits
I7-3770K (3.9Ghz turbo boost)
GA-Z77X-D3H
GTX 770 Lightning
SSD Corsair GS 190GB
8GB RAM

After much study and consideration, at least for me, the bottleneck was the CPU, since an overclock to 4.4GHz took away a lot of the stuttering. But it still keeps it on the verge. At the Nvidia forum, two guys were awesome enough to install ROF trial version and came to the conclusion that ROF needs a dual core running at an hypothetical 8GHz, not a quad core. From dual core to one core, the frame rate is penalized in only 10%.

At least for me, to run at max settings is bottlenecked by the game optimization. The ideal for me is to play with Landscape in medium, but that is a shame with a GTX 770. It might be the monitor size, but with only 8AA the roads, horizontal lines and some ground objects shimmers like a Christmas tree. Not acceptable for me, so, with SS and 2AA I have to make some compromises in reflection, trees, grass or other stuff. The ideal would be SS and 8XAA, but that is not possible.

The question for me is, either BoS has a better result with 8AA (no shimmering) or they might have optimized the game to a quad core. If it keeps like ROF -- which is an old game and comprehensible optimized for a dual core --, I'll not going to be able to max it out. But maybe in larger monitors the shimmering gets minimized.

But, according to the devs, the 109 skin was shot with 4AA and the image looks flawless, so they might have come with a much better solution than ROF.

Edited by Seawolf

Do some "visual tests" and lose the supersampling, even on monster machines that is not a good result (SS) with ROF, 16XAA is better and has less hit on performance with everything else at max except SS, I can get no shimmer and no stutters at all, with very little if any loss in quality.Even low over cities, In ROF the small benefits of SS are not worth the big hit it has, maybe in BOS it will be different but unlikely.

Also try sweetFX and/or Flight FX. What impressed me with ROF is the smothness and lack of stutter right from the start. also there are some sweet spots with frame limiting and vsynch etc. that can be complicated to get the optimal results and benefits without suffering to much in compromise in high FPS/screen tearing and cutting fps too low but that is so variable to monitors/ vsynch setup.

There are also some anti shimmer texture mods on ROF site, hopefully their experiences will follow over to BOS with the other improvements.

Why is it so hard to get the GRX/performance balance! but overall I am so happy to get butter smooth frames and looong draw distances/no pop up in a flight sim at last :)  

Cheers Dakpilot

Do some "visual tests" and lose the supersampling, even on monster machines that is not a good result (SS) with ROF, 16XAA is better and has less hit on performance with everything else at max except SS, I can get no shimmer and no stutters at all, with very little if any loss in quality.Even low over cities, In ROF the small benefits of SS are not worth the big hit it has, maybe in BOS it will be different but unlikely.

Also try sweetFX and/or Flight FX. What impressed me with ROF is the smothness and lack of stutter right from the start. also there are some sweet spots with frame limiting and vsynch etc. that can be complicated to get the optimal results and benefits without suffering to much in compromise in high FPS/screen tearing and cutting fps too low but that is so variable to monitors/ vsynch setup.

There are also some anti shimmer texture mods on ROF site, hopefully their experiences will follow over to BOS with the other improvements.

Why is it so hard to get the GRX/performance balance! but overall I am so happy to get butter smooth frames and looong draw distances/no pop up in a flight sim at last :)  

Cheers Dakpilot

No matter what I do, the only thing that gets rid of shimmering on the ground for me is SS. Or then I can use Nvidia Inspector, but again, the optimal setup to get rid of shimmering is as hard on the CPU as the SS. And I use FlightFX, which saved me! If I use just the AA in ROF or the card Control Panel, the shimmering will happen in all setups so far, so, I don't think there will be an easy solution for it. The shimmering mods are only for mods on and I play only multiplayer, so... I can't use it.

But the SS is not heavy on the card, which holds SS and 8XAA if I want. I mean, why not use it? What don't hold is the two cores that the game uses. So, I hope that either BoS uses four cores or then that it's AA are better than in ROF.