6./ZG26_Gielow

BoS 1920x1080 High Settings Hardware

Tooling along :-)

2012_12_5__16_46_6.png

Oh, I love when I down a Spad! They are some sneaky vicious creatures  :ph34r:  Beautiful image though  :)

But the Spad in spite of it's terrible pilot visibility is the only aircraft besides an N.11 that I feel safe in in ROF. The speed alone gives great comfort, just as the N.11's turning ability does.

Interesting thread.

I'm about to upgrade my 6yr old rig and my finances limit me to the following:

Win7 64bit

i5 3570k 3.4GHz (watercooled so perhaps I can OC if needed)

GTX 770 2Gb

8Gb DDR3

I'm hoping I'll be able to play BOS at Max (or close to Max)

However, I will have to stick to my current monitor running 1680x1050 so perhaps I'll be OK.

Not sure which MB you have or are getting, hope it is overclock friendly, cause with that processor  and having water cooling, it absolutely will be begging to be overclocked.

Even at stock, you should be in good shape for BOS.

• Upvote 1

I run almost that rig, O/C @ 4.5GHz 24/7 with one button press, 16gb ram not much more to future proof  :) see sig for MB

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

My MB has only one slot for GRX card, 99 time out of 100 you are better off with one card for the same cost of a SLi/crossfire setup.  google   P8Z77-I-DELUXE   this it will give you an idea of features a MB needs for simple O/C and see if yours has similar, as standard i5 3570k  should be pretty good anyway. but the best feature of this chip is the huge safe O/C headroom all for free  :) (with correct temp management)

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot
  • Upvote 1

Thank you, I had a niggling feeling I was forgetting something vital when typing my list :-)

Edited my post.

I'm not sure it matters but the mobo I'm looking at mentions it's compatible with AMD Crossfire but not SLi

In the past I've never gone for SLi or Crossfire. I'd rather put a better single GPU in instead.

The GTX 770 is enough to max out BoS at 1920X1080, even at 1560X1440. I generally use from 50 to 60% of my card with everything maxed out. Unless they come up with a totally different game than ROF, but the engine is the same, so it might be more than fine.

But the chipset H77 doesn't allow overclock. You might be able to change the multiplier down from 3.8GHz, which is the maximum turbo boost, but no true overclock. Since many games are not really optimized for multi-cores, overclock in gaming is important, especially to utilize the GTX 770 in its full potential in some cases. I recommend a Z77 board to overclock the i5-3570K above 4GHz.

8GB of RAM is enough, unless you find a good deal of 16GB. 

The other thing is, Haswell is at the same price. You can get an i5-4670K and a GA-Z87X-D3H for the same price of a i5-3570K and GA-Z77X-D3H. And you get from 7% to 12% improvement in single thread. Both processors can reach 4.6GHz easily without much heat. Beyond that, the Ivy Bridge is slightly better. And both motherboards accept CrossFire (paired AMD cards) and SLI (paired Nvidia cards).

You need an aftermarket cooler to overclock. You can get a CM Hyper 212 EVO that allows you to reach a decent overclock (around 4.4Ghz) without putting a whole in your pocket. But if you intend to go heavy on it you need something better. For high overclocks, around 4.8Ghz, the motherboard is better to be like a UD3 too.

I am getting a new rig in near future and I was going to go for following set up:

- AMD FX-8350 CPU

- 2 x Asus AMD Radeon HD7870 2Gt in Crossfire

- 8 Gt memory

- Cooler master seidon 120XL processor cooler

- Motherboard will be something with AMD 990x chipset

- 240Gt SSD

+ windows 8, keyboard, case, silverstone 600W 80+ power source and dvd-player

Any obvious flaws in this you guys can see right away? Reason for this is set up is more or less the price, I would get it a little bit cheaper than one otherwise similar set with i5 4760k CPU and single GTX760 GPU and without the cooler and new keyboard (that I need)

I am getting a new rig in near future and I was going to go for following set up:

- AMD FX-8350 CPU

- 8 Gt memory

- 240Gt SSD

Any obvious flaws in this you guys can see right away? Reason for this is set up is more or less the price, I would get it a little bit cheaper than one otherwise similar set with i5 4760k CPU and single GTX760 GPU and without the cooler and new keyboard (that I need)

Windows 8 (drawback bigtime to me, great for smartphones only IMHO)

- AMD FX-8350 CPU

- 8 Gt memory

- 240Gt SSD

But the FX-8350 and the 990X motherboard costs only 20 bucks less than an i5-4670K and GA-Z87X-D3H at Amazon, for example. And two HD 7870 will cost U$ 420, while one GTX 760 will cost U$ 250. The AMD set is cheaper? Where are you buying it? I would prefer the i5-4670K, because games usually don't go beyond four cores, and I doubt that BoS will have full support for 8 cores. And AMD has poor single threaded performance. 

I think some of the new games like BT4 are optimized for multi-cores, but the FX line might be discontinued anyway, since the last time I checked they are not talking anymore about the FX Steamroller, just the AM2 socket.

Windows 8 (drawback bigtime to me, great for smartphones only IMHO)

When they launched Windows 8 I ran to the store to buy a another copy of Windows 7 for my backup computer (That was running XP), because I knew that it was going to backfire and later on I would not find Windows 7 copies anymore. I guess that I was right.

It's a special deal, one retailer has small batch of these rigs made for trade show (DigiExpo) in Finland and there are selling them in redused price after the happening.

When they launched Windows 8 I ran to the store to buy a another copy of Windows 7 for my backup computer (That was running XP), because I knew that it was going to backfire and later on I would not find Windows 7 copies anymore. I guess that I was right.

I have been doing a lot of reading, as I will be putting together a new build in Dec ( already have most of the components), and I am still undecided on this one. From what I have read, since 8.1 was released, is it is pretty darn good now.

I wish I could hear more feedback from flight simmers, just do not see that many that are running Win 8 yet.

In the past I've never gone for SLi or Crossfire. I'd rather put a better single GPU in instead.

I have not either, never had a desire to then or now, even though the MB I have been running the last few years certainly supports it nicely.

To me, it just adds a level of complexity I do not want, and for what I do along with the sims I run on this PC, I doubt I would benefit much if any.

Thank you Seawolf.

I realise now I'd pasted in the wrong motherboard and can't now edit the thread.

The mobo is : ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 MicroATX

I will however, look for a 4670 and see if I can get one for the same price.

4670 uses newer socket MB if you already have the ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Intel Z77

Chees Dakpilot

Thanks for the pointer.

Choosing a new coupling now.

Seems I can save a few £££s by going for a 4670 - perhaps I can reinvest that and get a 4Gb GTX 770 instead... :-)

Just note that the i5-4670 doesn't overclock. It has to be the i5-4670K. And the Haswell CPU only fits on a motherboard with Z87 chipset (for overclock). The Z77 is for the socket 1155. But you might know that already and just forgot to add the "K"  :cool:

• Upvote 1

I have a question... 

Am I right in saying that BOS will not take advantage of the integrated GPUs of the last CPUs (i5, i7...)... ? 

In other words, does it mean that all the graphic job will be performed by the GPU exclusively and that whatever the CPU it will not help in enhancing the graphs or FPS.... ?

Most new MB's have Lucid's Virtu MVP software that uses integrated GPU alongside dedicated GPU to give performance boost to whatever "program" you are using

I use it with ROF so  cannot see why it could not be used in BOS

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

The real life performance difference of 99% of ram is hard to detect in any game, but too slow and it can effect O/C potential, any 1600mhz from a known manufacturer should be fine, 8 or 16gb  depending on budget, 8 should be fine for BOS but some other things (DCS with EDGE?) will be safer with 16gb, 2 x 8gb more stable than 4X4gb

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

I'm very satisfied with Windows 8, and now with 8.1. No problems, running smooth. First week with W8 I've tried to get used to new interface, then I've just installed program Start8. Visually is now almost no difference than Windows 7. Windows 8.1 brings back start button but I keep using Start8. W8 has better memory management, starting faster ...

post-340-0-76275400-1384286187_thumb.png

Edited by Mirtma

I don't have that big of a monitor, but I run ROF in high settings just fine in 1680*1050

MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 990FX AM3+ Motherboard

EVGA GTX550TI 2GB Video Card X 2 - in SLI

CORSAIR 750W Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4G AM3 CPU

GEIL 4GBx4 (16GB) Main memory in dual channel

CRUCIAL M4 128GB SSD

ENERMAX ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler

Older Lian Li Case, that still makes computer work easy.

Win 7 home premium

7.3 Windows performance Index (Could be better but I'm lazy)

CH Combatstick

CH pro throttle

CH pro pedals

Plantronics GameCom 780 Headset

TrackIR 5 and pro clip 

I'm very satisfied with Windows 8, and now with 8.1. No problems, running smooth. First week with W8 I've tried to get used to new interface, then I've just installed program Start8. Visually is now almost no difference than Windows 7. Windows 8.1 brings back start button but I keep using Start8. W8 has better memory management, starting faster ...

Like to know what FPS do you get when running AA at 8x and Supersampling on. 

Like to know what FPS do you get when running AA at 8x and Supersampling on. 

@Dutch2: Thank you for noticing it. I have few screens from testing different settings. I've obviously uploaded wrong one. But I must say that even with SS turned on I had no problems with FPS. But they were more close to 30 than 60.

Edited by Mirtma

I just checked the price of a GTX770. It was a bad idea   :lol: . Seriously i wasn't aware that it's so much compared to the CPUs discussed here. BTW this thread is very useful.  :salute:

@Dutch2: Thank you for noticing it. I have few screens from testing different settings. I've obviously uploaded wrong one. But I must say that even with SS turned on I had no problems with FPS. But they were more close to 30 than 60.

I wrote that to Douchey because using SS on with a AA set to max is not possible using a GTX550ti in SLi. 

I wouldn't say it's not possible. It was playable in mine PC. But not as when I turned it off. I've tried it again. Winter map, quick mission 3 vs 3. FPS always higher than 30 FPS but newer above 45. Here is short video. It was recorded with Nvidia Shadowplay (too bad it is not possible to record in native resolution - it records 1920 x 1080 and not 1920 x 1200 so some distortion appears). http://youtu.be/sIqdnjIJtA8

Edited by Mirtma

Yeah tell me about it, I have a new GTX 770 4GB card sitting here next to me still in the box, waiting to put it in a new build next month - hope it is worth it!

Edit: Hmm I seem to have lost the ability to quote in my reply, anyone else having issue with quoting when replying?

Edited by dburnette

Edit: Hmm I seem to have lost the ability to quote in my reply, anyone else having issue with quoting when replying?

Sometimes it happens to me too.

Edited by Seawolf

I wouldn't say it's not possible. It was playable in mine PC. But not as when I turned it off. I've tried it again. Winter map, quick mission 3 vs 3. FPS always higher than 30 FPS but newer above 45. Here is short video. It was recorded with Nvidia Shadowplay (too bad it is not possible to record in native resolution - it records 1920 x 1080 and not 1920 x 1200 so some distortion appears). http://youtu.be/sIqdnjIJtA8

I see only one airplane and no activities on the ground. :huh:  

S!

MPRHEAD. That rig is OK. I run AMD setup and great performance in IL-2 BOS. If you get it cheap go for it.

I am working on my list for the new Pc to replace my 5yrs old rig. This is what I came up with after some initial help.

Asus Z87-PRO Mainboard Sockel LGA 1150
INTEL Core i7-4771 3,5 GHz - socket 1150
Ocz VTX4-25SAT3-128G Vertex 4
ASUS GTX760-DC20C-2GD5
KINGSTON Memoria PC HyperX 2 x 4 Gb DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9

I'd be happy to read some comments.

Personally, assuming the rig is for gaming and not video Editting, I'd change the i7 for an i5 and use the cash you save to upgrade to a GTX 770.

+1

• Upvote 1

Personally, assuming the rig is for gaming and not video Editting, I'd change the i7 for an i5 and use the cash you save to upgrade to a GTX 770.

Also, make sure to go with 4670k as a CPU (note the k at the end). And include an after-marker cooler in the package. You can then overclock the CPU to 4.2 without hassle or any over-voltage.

770 will work great with BoS (I personally run on 760 GTX, and while in the air it's a stable 60fps, on the ground it can get to ~50 in external views on max settings).

Also thinking about replacing my 5 year old pc. No exact budget but i'm thinking of less than 1000 USD  (monitor, keyboard, mouse not included).

Please let me know what do you think about this:

- i5-3570@3,4Ghz   (don't think i want to OC, is there a better choice for similar cost?)

- 8 GB RAM (2x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz ?)

- GTX 660 2 GB (i seem to prefer nVidia with no exact reason  :biggrin: . I haven't really found any other nVidia similar to this price/performance. Or would you persuade me into considering a Radeon? Also which manufacturer ?)

- PSU  -  not sure, ~500W should be enough, right?

- SSD not planned

- unsure about other components  :biggrin:

Is it a balanced configuration? It would work probably with an 1920x1080.

Win 8 or 7 (both would be new to me) ?

Thanks for input in advance  :salute:

Edited by rolikiraly

Thanks for the replies fellas :) but let get this one straight; the i5 is not so underpowered compared to i7 even looking forward to another 3/4 yrs ?

+1

Also thinking about replacing my 5 year old pc. No exact budget but i'm thinking of less than 1000 USD  (monitor, keyboard, mouse not included).

Please let me know what do you think about this:

- i5-3570@3,4Ghz   (don't think i want to OC, is there a better choice for similar cost?)

- 8 GB RAM (2x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz ?)

- GTX 660 2 GB (i seem to prefer nVidia with no exact reason  :biggrin: . I haven't really found any other nVidia similar to this price/performance. Or would you persuade me into considering a Radeon? Also which manufacturer ?)

- PSU  -  not sure, ~500W should be enough, right?

- SSD not planned

- unsure about other components  :biggrin:

Is it a balanced configuration? It would work probably with an 1920x1080.

Win 8 or 7 (both would be new to me) ?

Thanks for input in advance  :salute:

Tom's hardware seems to recommend Radeon 7870 instead of GTX 660. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html

I think it's price dependant, at least here in Finland it seems that Radeons are relatively more expensive than in US.

Thanks for the replies fellas :) but let get this one straight; the i5 is not so underpowered compared to i7 even looking forward to another 3/4 yrs ?

No, if you take i5 (4670k) Haswell and i7 (4770k), the difference is hyper-threading and larger L3 cache size. The hyper-threading turns 4 physical cores into 8 logical ones and will only help with video editing/encoding and such. The funny thing is that people are actually disabling HT for gaming as this seems to cause some extra hardware overhead. So 4670k overall right now is an excellent buy for a gaming PC.

Also, AMD has recently announced that they will not update their desktop FX CPU line during 2014 at all. And the next Intel Haswell update (Broadwell) is scheduled for late 2014.

Edited by Sim
  • Upvote 1

Tom's hardware seems to recommend Radeon 7870 instead of GTX 660. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html

I think it's price dependant, at least here in Finland it seems that Radeons are relatively more expensive than in US.

The question is, Nvidia seems to be better than Radeon in ROF, so, supposedly you are going to have better results with BoS too. I have both an HD 6870 and a GTX 770, and the Nvidia has better graphics in general with the same settings. There was a time when I read that Radeon never replied the developer's questions, while Nvidia always had someone to take care of the questions; so, it is natural that the game might benefit better from Nvidia cards. But the difference is not that accentuated and the desktop looks the same, but I would not buy another Radeon for the time being. But they have a good cost benefit. 

You have to look for the new R9 models: R9 270 and R9 270X. Performance wise, the HD 7870 stays in between, but the margin is measure in two, three frames. The GTX 660 is the last of the pack.

In between the R9 270X and the GTX 660, I would choose the R9 270X. In between the R9 270 and the GTX 660, I would probably choose the GTX 660. An option would be to find a used GTX 660 Ti.

I would disregard the HD 7870, because they have the old price. Which means the R9 series is much cheaper with the same or better performance. Like the GTX 680. Why buy the 680 when the GTX 770 is stronger and cheaper?

Well, my two cents.