Game version 4.505 discussion: Cockpits in 4K, I-16 in 4K, other changes

Thanks team BOX for another great update.  Thanks to @Oyster_KAI for your hard work and as Stoopy posted "well-deserved recgnition!"

IckyATLAS

Frankly I did not expect this very welcome addition, all improving visuals and effects. The rhythm of updates and improvements is staggering.

The dedication to be always update on all the titles fom BOS to BOBP is an excellent approach and I applaud this.

I thought there would be a Christmas holiday rest period, but I see developers fully devoted at improving this game.

I will never be able to release my campaign missions as I try to stay update if you continue going on at such a speed 🙂 

Thank you, and please get some rest with your families, very well deserved indeed.

Happy New year to you all. 

Wow. If the devs just had saved up a couple of months of improvements and released them in one go, they could have marketed it as a new game ;) 

Super awesome 4K textures!

ROCKET_KNUT
4 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Also nice to see this one fixed, it was annoying in MP servers since as a bomber you could be seen from miles and miles away:

On A-20B bombers, problems with ANOs and bomb bay tail signal lamp at long LODs have been fixed.

Not exactly sure which problem the devs are referring to, but obviously it isn´t that one:

A-20.thumb.jpg.cc2d4c557e45e27a1958be0ac8d24e37.jpg

Yes, you are looking at the front section of an A-20, 8.74km (5.4mls) away, in broad daylight and you can see the signal light, telling you "Bomb bay open" in the back end of the a/c.

Taken today on C/B after update... I guess, we´ll have to wait just that little bit more. 🍻

Praetorious

Was getting ready to fire up the game after getting home from work, every time i do that and it stops for a second and it doesn't say "play"  i always yell "update!!!!" lol, thank you for the nice updated graphics and fixes and for the Hurricane,i  bought it the other day, that's a proper machine right there, no gimmicks, no running off the runway, no engine blowing up and plenty of nasty surprises on board, also thank you Mr. Oyster for your contributions to the sim, much appreciated.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
flugkapitan

Happy Holidays to all!

Thank you for the update - much appreciated.

Hopefully the historically correct lockable tailwheel in the Ju-88 will be addressed in the near future 😉

Cheers!

• 1CGS
-DED-Rapidus
1 hour ago, flugkapitan said:

Hopefully the historically correct lockable tailwheel in the Ju-88 will be addressed in the near future 😉

What's wrong with it?

6 minutes ago, [APAF]VR_Spartan85 said:

update is nice!  but for some reason i no longer have access to my FC aircraft?

Please describe the problem in more detail in the topic https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12260-account-and-content-inavailability/

• Like 1

Many thanks for the 4k cockpits!

I can finally read all the 'suggestions' on landing and flap speeds in the American and British planes (only to still totally ignore them). The P-47 has like a 200-page manual printed all over its dash and instrument panel.

But seriously, love all the details I'm finding now. Very, very appreciated.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, flugkapitan said:

2 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

What's wrong with it?

Please describe the problem in more detail in the topic https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12260-account-and-content-inavailability/

Il2 Bos JU88 has the Locking lever modeled in the cockpit but it is inactive. The tail wheel in game is castor action only .

The black and white photograph also has the lever in question visible, so it seems that the JU88 did have a tail wheel locking mechanism. 

junkers-ju88.jpg

• Thanks 1
WokeUpBlue
9 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Great to see the 4k cockpit skins made it into the official game!

Also nice to see this one fixed, it was annoying in MP servers since as a bomber you could be seen from miles and miles away:

On A-20B bombers, problems with ANOs and bomb bay tail signal lamp at long LODs have been fixed.

That is good. The A-20 still needs a playable bombardier position to be able to see out that glazed nose though.

• Upvote 1
150GCT_Veltro
8 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

We only work with those that show professionalism and have the ability to listen to and work with the team. It's a select few. I've been in contact with Oyster for months. We finally had time to work with him and squeeze this in before the end of the year. Now he has a history with us, much like ICDP does, and some others who we can count on. 

Jason

Well done, thank you very much Jason for this 4K present by Oyster. Finally a cockpit upgrade!

Bravo!

Did something go wrong with this update? It seems I am unable to set 109's smoking or on fire with non-cannon armed planes..like the i-16, P-51 and Hurricane...those or the ones I have tried so far, and the 109's I have been shooting at were E-7's and G-6late.

I will keep testing, but thus far this was a massive disappointment in my opinion.

Or maybe my installation didn't go right? Does anyone else have these issues?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
ACG_Onebad

Now that the team already works with some community members, is there a chance to include some of the tracer mods into the vanilla game? The community made tracer effects are really brilliant and it's a shame to have them ommited.

150GCT_Veltro

Really a great present guys, a strategic update for IL2. Well done.

Stuka, FW ecc. are really as a new release. Nice fix also for 109, not just only a 4K rework.

2020_12_29__7_19_12.jpg

ZachariasX
2 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

The black and white photograph also has the lever in question visible, so it seems that the JU88 did have a tail wheel locking mechanism. 

Interesting. In the PN (here) they say:

Tail wheel is self-centering. No locking.

Where there differences among the plane variants regarding tail wheel control or was that more like field modifications?

6./ZG26_5tuka

Great update. I'm sure the collaborative release of Oyster Kais 4k textures is a very welcome addition and hopefully inspires more creative minded people to commit to improving the sim all together.

49 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Where there differences among the plane variants regarding tail wheel control or was that more like field modifications?

The Ju 88 A-1 manual (1940) says it to have a hydraulic locking mechanism while the A-4 manual (1941) explicitly mentions a self centering, not lockable mechanism.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
SCG_Vieira

Hi @Han @-DED-Rapidus @Jason_Williamsand thank you for the update and all the hard work. I hope everyone in the IL2 team have a wonderful new year.

I have two questions regarding the update:

1. Any news on the invisibility bug (it is happening very frequently in all MP servers, especially in the Finnish Server). This issue has been hunting us for years.

2. Any news on exploit on the TacView files? As anything been done so the servers can allow TacView again (it is actually related to the previous point since the TacView  files definitely proved that it wasn't just bad situational awareness when we get killed by invisible planes)

Best Regards

• Thanks 1
unreasonable

There may be a bug with this update - see post by 

Just now, NIK14 said:

Did something go wrong with this update? It seems I am unable to set 109's smoking or on fire with non-cannon armed planes..like the i-16, P-51 and Hurricane...those or the ones I have tried so far, and the 109's I have been shooting at were E-7's and G-6late.

I will keep testing, but thus far this was a massive disappointment in my opinion.

Or maybe my installation didn't go right? Does anyone else have these issues?

Yes, same, shooting at K-4s with .50 cals. 

Also see  by @=SFG=Canuck52 in complaints thread....I quote

During a flight out we noticed USA planes not causing any leaks to their opponents. We decided to go into a training server and tested out various aircraft and weapons and noticed the following:

USA 50s and 303s cause NO engine damage/coolant damage/oil damage

Structural integrity is slightly effected but no destruction of flight surfaces

Pistols still cause full damage to aircraft (can cause fuel leaks etc)

Any aircraft with only AP cause no damage to engines/coolant/oil

I have linked a twitch clip (its a little long  so skip through to see different examples).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/853672697

Canuck

Edited by unreasonable
Melonfish

Is it me or did the dials in brit planes get treated with radium too?
or was that always a thing, i just couldn't see it properly before? 😄

• 1CGS
-DED-Rapidus
30 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

During a flight out we noticed USA planes not causing any leaks to their opponents. We decided to go into a training server and tested out various aircraft and weapons and noticed the following:

Thanks, I'll look it up in the tests.

• Thanks 1
[=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther

Man, I am little irritated, I only recently downloaded the 4K cockpit mod. Just kidding! This is super cool. Great Collaboration! 

From a positive viewpoint with this bugged update, it's clear to see how little the .50s actually do when it comes to aerodynamic performance of the victim planes. Same goes for the other rifle ammo weapons. Maybe tweak some other parameters whilst at it so we can have some more historically representative machine guns in the game? Heck...put the parameters up so we can pretend to have API even...

Oh well...it's back to caning Hell Let Loose

Good luck devs!

Soilworker

I'm currently solely playing the FC1 campaigns but I did notice after the update the 2 planes I shot down taking a large number of bullets before eventually succumbing to structural damage. (Most hits on the fuselage.) 

6FG_Big_Al
11 minutes ago, Schuhmi93 said:

Do I have to delete the old 4K Texture mod from here :[MOD] 4K cockpits for Great Battles WWII Planes!! - Mods - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum or is there nothing to do? 

Well Oyster wrote this in the thread you linked:

Hi everyone!!
You can uninstall this MOD because the official update is newer than this MOD🎅🎄
If you are not using JSGME, please carefully remove files other than (Planename)_B.dds and Custom_photo.dds.
Working with the Devs team is a magical and enjoyable experience.
There will be more cockpit improvements in the future.
This MOD is no longer necessary, this thread may be deleted or kept as a footprint memorial.

I hope this solves your question :salute:

• Thanks 1
unreasonable
Just now, Soilworker said:

I'm currently solely playing the FC1 campaigns but I did notice after the update the 2 planes I shot down taking a large number of bullets before eventually succumbing to structural damage. (Most hits on the fuselage.) 

That is because you can no longer detach wing segments by hitting them with MG fire. Something very odd has gone wrong with the DM. I looks as though apart from the pilot - who can be wounded - no (?) internal RNG dependencies can be triggered - or the RNG is broken.  

flugkapitan

Regarding the lockable tailwheel,  Captain Eric Brown, FAA, who flew pretty much every German aircraft of WWII, states on page 190 of "Wings of the Luftwaffe" about flying the Ju88-A5:

Ground handling proved extremely easy with the Ju 88's good brakes. One had to ensure that the lockable tailwheel was disengaged before taxying...."

and:

"After lining up for take-off by taxying a dozen yards or so to ensure that the tailwheel was straight, this was locked in position, an interlock preventing operation of the hydraulics until the locking procedure had been completed".

He later on goes to say about flying the Ju88G-1 that there wasn't really all that much difference in later marks other than more equipment.

Cheers,

Scott

• Thanks 1
SCG_OpticFlow
3 hours ago, 150GCT_Veltro said:

Really a great present guys, a strategic update for IL2. Well done.

Stuka, FW ecc. are really as a new release. Nice fix also for 109, not just only a 4K rework.

2020_12_29__7_19_12.jpg

I see I'm not the only one having the bug in the Macci turn and slip indicator. The glass over the slip indicator seems misplaced (the screenshot is from a month ago):

2020_11_20__20_0_11.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Han unpinned this topic