Simple tool to check your six

J2_NobiWan

J2_NobiWan
9 hours ago, Lieutenant_Meyer said:

Thanks for the help....it appears I need to run in overlay mode and have the program start Steam VR. One more question.....sometimes I find that when I open the program my rotation numbers have changed (also when I add numbers in the box turns red). Does anyone know why that may occur? Thank you

Thank you

A red box indicates that the entered value is invalid. In that case the value will not be saved and the next time you start VRNS it will be reverted to the last valid one.

For example, a value can be invalid when it is negative, or the  "de" value is higer than the "act" value, or the "de" value is lower than the previous "act" value in the line above.

Problem is, that the validity check is bugged in VRNS 2.03. So currently you might get red boxes even though all the values make sense. It is already fixed for the next version, but currently you might need to enter the values in a different order until there are no red boxes any more.

Lieutenant_Meyer

Now I'm getting "unable to connect to steam VR"? Also - when I launch VRNS steam VR will start but doesn't "sync up" and I can't launch IL2. Any thoughts....thanks for your help. This if frustrating because when I get it to work this program is awesome. 

Edited by Lieutenant_Meyer

J2_NobiWan

My starting order is:

SteamVr (which starts Oculus in my case) -> VRNS -> IL2

With the current version, when VRNS is started after the game, it hangs and prevents the next trys to start VRNS.

It needs to be killed manually via Taskmanager before starting it again.

I'll prepare a new version later today that might help here. 

J2_NobiWan

First post updated

Update v2.04:

better default autorot values

fix for validation check of autorot values

fix for hang up if SteamVR is not responding.

• Like 1

skunk160
2 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

My starting order is:

SteamVr (which starts Oculus in my case) -> VRNS -> IL2

With the current version, when VRNS is started after the game, it hangs and prevents the next trys to start VRNS.

It needs to be killed manually via Taskmanager before starting it again.

I'll prepare a new version later today that might help here. 

I have to use Oculus -> VRNS (Which starts Steam) -> IL2 :)

vrFlyer3

@J2_NobiWan I just tried out your latest 2.04 on the Index + DCS.  It is getting "closer" to working.  It feels now that the rotations left/right are more correct, and its simply the fact that once you press to snap, then you are like ~6 feet forward from where you started... but its no longer almost 180 degree backward and 8 feet below...

Here is an example now....

1. is centered before snap press

2. is right snap press.. note you are now sitting on the radar nose

When I release right snap press... you are now "centered" again, but still on radar nose...about 6 feet forward of where you started more or less.

1-centered.png

2-right.png

skunk160

i found

Game mode  auto

pos compensation - in seated

stopped the out of cockpit issue in d and also worked in IL2 

rift s here

just my tuppence

Lieutenant_Meyer

Thank you J2 Nobiwan. The new version helped and if I start in the same order it works every time - thanks again!

• Like 1

dreamingbadger

I'm finding the offset problem back with 2.04 again ... i seem to be consistently offset to the left after i turn my head forwards 

Impalor
On 3/3/2021 at 11:15 PM, J2_NobiWan said:

It really isn't explained very well in the first post and I should make it more intuitive.

The stages are defined by the activation ("act") value (60,70,80,90,... in the picture on the first post). These values define at which physical head rotation (degrees) the snaps will happen.

The "rot" values (10,20,30,40... deg) define how much the view will snap (rotate) at the corresponding "act" value .

The "de" values define when the snap angle will revert back to the last "rot" value when the head is turned back again. Simply set these to the previous "act" value +1 as in the example.

So, to rotate quicker you would increase the "rot" values (e.g. 20,40,60,..).

To start the snap rotation earlier you would decrease the "act" values (e.g. 40,50,60,70...).

I hope this makes sense! If not don't hesitate to ask! :)

Sometime SteamVR gets a hickup when the app / game is started in the wrong order. On my system I need to kill steamVR and Oculus and restart it.

This seems to be different on different HMDs. There are two options under "app mode" in VRNS that you can play with to find a working solution... 

You could use different VRNS config files for the two sims. The config file name can be given as a parameter when starting VRNS.

Awesome! Will try.

J2_NobiWan
On 3/6/2021 at 5:29 PM, dreamingbadger said:

I'm finding the offset problem back with 2.04 again ... i seem to be consistently offset to the left after i turn my head forwards 

Rgr, thanks for reporting. DCS is driving me nuts... 🙄.

It would help if you could check if you still see this when you headsets direction is well aligned (arrow on the ground in steamVR pointing straight forward).

dreamingbadger
On 3/7/2021 at 9:03 PM, J2_NobiWan said:

Rgr, thanks for reporting. DCS is driving me nuts... 🙄.

It would help if you could check if you still see this when you headsets direction is well aligned (arrow on the ground in steamVR pointing straight forward).

straight forward, but offset to my left ? I will have a check today after work to see if it's still a problem if i center the headset in SVR 

Edited by dreamingbadger

dreamingbadger

so even if i re-enter Steam VR  in game there is still a noticeable offset to the left on 2.04  in DCS, 2.03 still works fine

J2_NobiWan
1 hour ago, dreamingbadger said:

so even if i re-enter Steam VR  in game there is still a noticeable offset to the left on 2.04  in DCS, 2.03 still works fine

Roger that. Thanks for double checking!

• Like 1

Impalor

Unfortunately, for me both 2.03 and 2.04 have offset problem with DCS. When returning from check 6 I move forward and to the left. Also, I don't see a way to assign Numpad5 as a re-center button? Had to make up a joystick one...

Impalor
On 3/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, skunk160 said:

Game mode  auto

pos compensation - in seated

stopped the out of cockpit issue in d and also worked in IL2 

Hello! Where are these settings?

JG1_Vonrd

So I just got my Reverb G2 today and as soon as I had it set up and working I installed VRNS... It's THE BOMB! So simple and it works great in IL2. My neck definitely thanks you (but my chiropractor is most disappointed).

Regarding DCS, I saw that you said this:

• in DCS you have to start DCS in SteamVR mode: "DCS.exe  --force_enable_VR  --force_steam_VR" 

This statement was for Rift... is it the same for WMR? If so, where does the "DCS.exe  --force_enable_VR  --force_steam_VR"  go? I have such a hard time navigating Steam and Steam VR. There are so many pathways and I don't have a great deal of experience navigating them.

Bottom line is that VRNS is currently not working for me in DCS and I see that there are issues with DCS. I would like to help in any way that I can.

Thank you NobiWan! 

J2_NobiWan
On 3/10/2021 at 11:08 AM, Impalor said:

Hello! Where are these settings?

They are under the Options menu on the top right of the app

3 hours ago, JG1_Vonrd said:

So I just got my Reverb G2 today and as soon as I had it set up and working I installed VRNS... It's THE BOMB! So simple and it works great in IL2. My neck definitely thanks you (but my chiropractor is most disappointed).

Regarding DCS, I saw that you said this:

• in DCS you have to start DCS in SteamVR mode: "DCS.exe  --force_enable_VR  --force_steam_VR" 

This statement was for Rift... is it the same for WMR? If so, where does the "DCS.exe  --force_enable_VR  --force_steam_VR"  go? I have such a hard time navigating Steam and Steam VR. There are so many pathways and I don't have a great deal of experience navigating them.

Bottom line is that VRNS is currently not working for me in DCS and I see that there are issues with DCS. I would like to help in any way that I can.

Thank you NobiWan! 

The "force_enable_VR" parameter for DCS is only necessary when using an oculus.

As far as I know VRNS should work fine with the G2 and DCS. For example: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/257819-my-3090-settings-for-my-g2/

Maybe a G2 user can help here?

J2_NobiWan

Just updated first post:

Update v2.05:

added fancy diagram to help understand the autorot values

fixed DCS offset bug reintroduced in v2.04 (hopefully)

• Like 1

ACG_Flyby

I have a problem with the Necksaver software. After a few moments of flying BoS I get a black screen in my Reverb_G2.  Some times the headset regains the VR function, but  I find I have to end BoS, and also the Necksaver, then restart BoS.This with the original release (?) and the two latest updates. Before installing 2.04 today, I searched the registry to eliminate any traces of it, but none were found. At first I thought it was maybe the GPU overclock (MSI) so I reverted to default settings, and ran Furmark. But I'd ran Furmark with the overclock, and had no issues. It has come down to the Necksaver, so far as I can tell, that it the issue. I have tried starting SteamVR, then Necksaver then BoS. I have tried starting SteamVr then Bos then Necksaver. In both scenarios I get the blackout in my headset. The sim is still showing on my monitor when the headset visuals are lost. The sim and the G2 run fine when I do not use the Necksaver software. My GPU is the GTX1080 with the latest Nvidia driver as of two weeks ago. SteamVR is the latest version, 1:16. Need a little help.

Flyby out

Edited by Flyby

ACG_Flyby

Hello Charlo. I've run my volume low since I've had my G2(early December). In game volume is set to 12%. G2 is set at 50%. Never had an issue with it until my recent use of the Neck saver software. It could be coincidental, but experience seems to indicate this software. Maybe I should have extracted to the BoS folder instead of a desktop folder?

Thank you for replying.

Flyby out. 

J2_NobiWan
2 hours ago, Flyby said:

IAfter a few moments of flying BoS I get a black screen in my Reverb_G2.  Some times the headset regains the VR function, but  I find I have to end BoS, and also the Necksaver, then restart BoS.T

The G2 blacking out seems to be quite common... see here for example:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/periodic-black-out-with-hp-reverb-g2/358393/7

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/ju5eu7/hp_reverb_g2_display_goes_blackturns_off_in/

Seems to happen with some games and not with others.

Pure speculation, but some seem to think that it is power consumption related, either by to loud speakers or maybe by a weak USB port.

I find it hard to find a link to VRNS, except maybe that the quick switching of the view direction could hypothetically cause a increase in processing power on the G2 and thus push it over its limits...? All very vague...

ACG_Flyby

NobiWan, thank you for the link. I can only agree that the matter is actually quite vague. But your exception is interesting. It puts to mind that I may try lowering the SteamVR resolution in "Settings/Video/Application" (IL2). I may be asking too much of my system as a whole. Then I'll try VRNS again. It's quite useful when I can use it.😊 Maybe HP needs to update the software?

thanks again,

Cheers!

Flyby out 

No issues on my end with Reverb G2 blacking out. 

But no I do not use this "simple" tool.

@Flyby

If you are not suggest you use both Steam VR Beta and WMR for Steam VR Beta.

Edited by dburne

ACG_Flyby

Dburne, I'm not certain I can roll Steam VR back to the beta. I'm using the 1.16 version. But I am testing my headset in a different 3.0 USB port. Also I'm resetting my Windows WMR, as the latest Windows update made a few changes there.

Thanks for chiming in. Much appreciated.

Flyby out

Edited by Flyby

So I've been using this for a while, hadn't updated because it was just fine. Now I see all these new features! Great job @J2_NobiWan !

One thing that's not quite perfect, not sure if someone in the thread has a workaround: sometimes the SteamVR "box of neon lines" shows up over my cockpit. I haven't messed around much - do I need to get standing/sitting configured right, or switch off boundary indicators, or something? Or is it just a limitation that this box sometimes shows up? (It's not there all the time, just sometimes).

SCG_Redcloud111

@Alonzo. Not sure why it keeps appearing. I just go into Steam VR/ Developer Settings/ Calibrate for gigantic (or maybe it is large) space. Then when you recenter within game, you are back in the cockpit with no chaperon lines. I only have to do this every now and then. Not really that often.

Edited by SCG_redcloud111

[FF]Rockets

Anyone else getting "Unable to connect to SteamVR/OpenVR" constantly? I can't even start it. Have tried every version. It worked a couple weeks ago.

dreamingbadger
22 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Corrected link to v2.05...  🙄

2.05 seems to have corrected my "offset" problem on the G2 Many thanks as always 

Edited by dreamingbadger
  • Like 1

J2_NobiWan
6 hours ago, Grungyfulla said:

Anyone else getting "Unable to connect to SteamVR/OpenVR" constantly? I can't even start it. Have tried every version. It worked a couple weeks ago.

What is your starting order? Did you start SteamVR first?

Was SteamVR ready when you started VRNS?

On my system if there is an issue like low controller battery or mandatory update I will have to click continue inside VR to complete the SteamVR start process. Only when this is completed, SteamVR will react to apps.

I also noted that SteamVR sometimes hickups on simultanious connection requests (eg from VRNS and IL2). Better wait a few seconds between starting.

Once you got VRNS started, you could try switching the app mode (under options).

ftordeur

J2_NobiWan. Have now been using it since v1.6 and am now on v2.05. Thanks again for making this "app". It makes my "old' neck Happy :) 
I have absolutely no problems with this version v2.05!!
. The previous one v2.04 had me sometimes above the cockpit when starting DCS and using autorotation.

• Like 1

ACG_Flyby

Just to update everyone on my status with the VRNS. I have been using a different USB 3.0 port, and have put in several hours with the Necksaver, both in quick missions and online in busy servers. All is well.  I am expressing my sorrow to NobiWan for my premature assessment of his software. I'm also expressing my relief at having my neck saved from added strain while flying solo in dangerous VR skies.

Flyby out 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

[Pb]RedeyeStorm

@J2_NobiWan I am enjoying your program a lot in Il2 but I am having troubles in DCS. When I press the recenter button (VRNS an DCS recenter on 1 button) my viewpoint rotates 120 degrees to the right and down at ground level. Using Valve Index here. In SteamVr I am pretty much centered, about 5 degrees off to the right.

Any ideas?

J2_NobiWan
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

@J2_NobiWan I am enjoying your program a lot in Il2 but I am having troubles in DCS. When I press the recenter button (VRNS an DCS recenter on 1 button) my viewpoint rotates 120 degrees to the right and down at ground level. Using Valve Index here. In SteamVr I am pretty much centered, about 5 degrees off to the right.

Any ideas?

Yes, this is a known issue unfortunately. The Index behaves somehow different than other VR Sets in DCS. Still investigating this...

Edited by J2_NobiWan

Impalor

Hello NobiWan, thanks again for the great app! One suggestion. Could you add a vertical axe? In a turn I look up to check 6 and it would be nice to also add a few degrees.

J2_NobiWan
1 hour ago, Impalor said:

Hello NobiWan, thanks again for the great app! One suggestion. Could you add a vertical axe? In a turn I look up to check 6 and it would be nice to also add a few degrees.

I would like to do that, but currently not possible... See here: