Jump to content

Simple tool to check your six


J2_NobiWan
 Share

Recommended Posts

It looks awesome but my windows is not being allowed to access when I try to install.

Edit. Weird, it installed anyway (it ignored its own error box, lol). Going to try it now...

Edited by J3Hetzer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh my frikking god, it's real, it works! 🤩😍 Where the hell did you come from, you're a bloody genius!

Ok, the auto bit spazzes the screens out, only works to the right and ends up disabling the in-game VR centering (I pressed the reset button while in-game too, it didn't fix it). So I disabled the auto bit and used the POV hat, absolute perfection.

Thank you!!! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lol! :) Good that it works for you!

For the autorotation to work you have to press the reset button once while looking forward, so that the app knows where the zero angle is.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RAAF492SQNOz_Steve

It is a big THANK YOU from me!    Works very well with useful options in very simple user interface!👍

Not sure that everyone's Physio or Chiropractor is going to be as grateful as I am with this really useful game enhancement.......  😉 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SvAF/F16_Goblin

Excellent, will try this. VR is great but the tunnel view makes it real hard to look over the shoulder 😄

Perhaps, if I could make a suggestion, to make it possible to assign a button or a key to reset autorotate in the tool?

Then I could use the same key for that as to centre the view in game and make everything line up perfectly.

 

Edited by MA_Goblin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MA_Goblin said:

Perhaps, if I could make a suggestion, to make it possible to assign a button or a key to reset autorotate in the tool?

Then I could use the same key for that as to centre the view in game and make everything line up perfectly.

 

 

This is actually a good idea! Even though you have to reset only once and only if you want to use the auto rotate... Will update the app soon. 😊

Edited by J2_NobiWan
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SvAF/F16_Goblin

It took me 5 minutes to make this work and that was only because I couldn't figure out the numbers on the buttons 😄

This is absolutely great work mate, do You have a way to donate?
Absolutely essential little software for VR, now i can glance over my shoulder just as in IRL.
I set it to 35 degrees and that was perfect for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SvAF/F16_radek

While others are working on accurate gaz truck suspension simulations, NobiWan went and gave us something thats’s been requested for years. Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, I updated my thread to point to this one, your tool is definitively what I was looking for....You should request to have it pinned.

Why didn't you release it before 😀 ?

One request, should it be possible to add lateral offset with the angle ?

When you turn your head, you have also to move your shoulder, especially at big angle, so it should be more realitic to have this offset...I do not know if it is something difficult to do...The dev of driver4VR said adding rotation was a tricky thing and you did it, so...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SvAF/F16_horsky

I cant thank you enough NobiWan, this is just incredible! Hasslefree, plug n play! Where were you earlier this year? 😃

 

And also a big thanks to c6_lefuneste and all the ppls involved in "check your six in VR" for making VR a better place ❤️
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This looks great I'm gonna try it out. @dburne did you see this thing yet? Anyone else have mobility issues? I remember some folks in the VR sub very much need this kind of thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you guys! :) I'm glad you find it useful.

I just updated the first post.

 

Thanks @c6_lefuneste for linking here!

5 hours ago, c6_lefuneste said:

One request, should it be possible to add lateral offset with the angle ?

When you turn your head, you have also to move your shoulder, especially at big angle, so it should be more realitic to have this offset...I do not know if it is something difficult to do...The dev of driver4VR said adding rotation was a tricky thing and you did it, so...

I'll have to look into it. Actually rotation is very straight forward (have a look at the sources). I think a lateral offset will be a bit more complicated...

 

Ah, and please, no donations... preorder FC2 instead! 😉

 

Cheers, J2_NobiWan

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Also, as an experimental feature, there is an "Autorotate" setting that can be enabled. Here the Offset angle is automatically activated when turning your head over a defined activation angle and deactivated when below a deactivation angle. No joystick buttons required. :)

It works surpringly well, but can also be a bit confusing in a hectic situation.

 

What might be interesting (and yes, this is feature creep, feel free to decline!) is to have automatic non-linear rotation 'boost' for the final portion of someone's ability to turn their head. So if I can comfortably turn my head 120 degrees and uncomfortably crank to 130, but I want a physical 130 degree turn to be a virtual 150 degree turn, could I get the software to 'boost' my head turn in that final portion? Kind of like a curve on a joystick or something. That might make it less noticeable in a dogfight, it's not a sudden increase, it's a "head crank helper" sort of thing.

 

Physical Rotation / Mapped Rotation:

  • 100 / 100
  • 110 / 110
  • 120 / 130
  • 130 / 150

I have no idea if these numbers are reasonable, I actually find it pretty hard to rotate my head further than 90 degrees while keeping shoulders straight, but of course that's not how I fly the plane, I'm moving my whole body to look behind me. If the boost only kicks in fairly far round my rotation, I can still comfortably look at a wingman left/right without having anything odd happen, it would only take effect when I'm really trying hard to see behind me.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

This looks great I'm gonna try it out. @dburne did you see this thing yet? Anyone else have mobility issues? I remember some folks in the VR sub very much need this kind of thing.

 

While yes I do have issues, I prefer to just make the best out of it with the 1:1 tracking.

I got a new gaming chair that swivels nicely which helps a little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Toxin1 said:

File is getting blocked from downloading by windows as Trojan virus??


It's a common issue with indie software, just tell it to "Keep anyway".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NobiWan, thanks so much for creating this utility....it looks awesome! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to work.

 

I know that my mapped buttons are talking to the utility, because the "deg" indicator in the upper left changes to 30 or -30 as appropriate. And when I press the mapped button I often get a bit of a flicker, but not the expected shift in view. The reset button seems to be working ok; the HMD yaw value zeroes out on the dialog when I press the mapped button.

 

Am I perhaps missing a setting in either SteamVR or the game itself? Any pointers would be much appreciated; I'd love to get this working!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Jack59 said:

I know that my mapped buttons are talking to the utility, because the "deg" indicator in the upper left changes to 30 or -30 as appropriate. And when I press the mapped button I often get a bit of a flicker, but not the expected shift in view. The reset button seems to be working ok; the HMD yaw value zeroes out on the dialog when I press the mapped button.

 

Hmm, does it work with auto rotation disabled?

Which headset are you using?

Do you maybe use the same buttons in the game settings for something? like reset VR view?

Edited by J2_NobiWan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, J2_NobiWan said:

 

Hmm, does it work with auto rotation disabled?

Which headset are you using?

Do you maybe use the same buttons in the game settings for something? like reset VR view?

 

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

 

I've tried it with auto rotation both enabled and disabled; no joy. I'm using the Valve Index.  I cleared out any shared mappings between your utility and my joystick, other than sharing your reset button with my VR reset/centering button.

 

Incidentally, when I enable the auto function, and move the HMD the requisite amount to trigger rotation, the upper left of your dialog boxes flashes between 0 and 30 (or -30) almost too fast for the eye to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you redownload the app and try it again? The earlier version had a bug that might have caused something like that...

Also, what is the HMD yaw angle initially shown, before reset when looking straight ahead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried the latest version, with no change.

 

When I first punch up the utility, looking straight ahead, it shows a yaw angle of 67 degrees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

I tried the latest version, with no change.

 

When I first punch up the utility, looking straight ahead, it shows a yaw angle of 67 degrees

Hmm, I'll have to look deeper into this. Will come back to you tomorrow... getting late here... 😴

Edited by J2_NobiWan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WARNING: According to Windows defender  the downloadable file cointains a threat.

 

Trojan:MSIL/Masslogger.VN!MTB

 

"This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker."

Edited by 56RAF_klem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
39 minutes ago, 56RAF_klem said:

WARNING: According to Windows defender  the downloadable file cointains a threat.

 

Trojan:MSIL/Masslogger.VN!MTB

 

"This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker."

 

Suspect that this is a false positive. I have scanned both versions of the .exe file with Kapersky & Symantec (on a separate computer) and it reported no issue.

 

It is un-signed, that will trigger a warning when downloading it.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
added results of Symantec scan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I tried the VR Neck Saver. It worked, but had a strange issue. Whenever it added to my head rotation, it also displaced my head to the side. I took a few screenshots to show what it looked like (low resolution, sorry), and you can see that my head is well outside the cockpit. This gave me a great view of the side of my machine, which is a bit beside the point. If my head were still inside the cockpit, it would make it much easier to look behind me. Any ideas why it's displacing my head as well as rotating? I tried with both the buttons and the autorotate, and they seem to be working correctly. The issue is that whenever the head rotation is applied (whether from the buttons or the autorotate), the head moves as well. Otherwise, it looks like it'll really be nice. Thanks, @J2_NobiWan.

Oh, and I second @Alonzo's request for progressive rotation (more rotation as you rotate your head). That could make it a smoother experience to scan behind you. I did something similar for a pan/tilt FPV setup on a set of radio controlled B-17's my brother and I flew a few years ago.

 

Neck Saver 1.jpg

Neck Saver 2.jpg

Neck Saver 3.jpg

Neck Saver 4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SvAF/F16_radek

Having tested all the modes I see no issues. My neck can't thank you enough and coffee is happy to stay in it's cup, on the table.

Seems you did add lateral offset? And it really is working great!  Should you be in an experimentative mode perhaps try some medial offset? Meaning offset head pos a bit forward (towards prop) when snap6, so that the headrest doesn't flood fill your view so much. Though I realize the ranges allowed here are very small.

Edited by SvAF/F16_radek
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Nobiwan, could you tell me the location where the program is installed? Despite allowing windows defender to open the program, the program will not open.

Thanks in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry about the malware alerts, guys. Just to be totally sure I checked the .exe at virustotal.com and it gives me 3/71 detections which is a strong indicator of a false alert.

Unfortunately Windows Defender is one of those who give the false positive. This seem to prevent the download for some.

I suspect the issue to resolve itself after a while, but I'm no expert on this.

 

You could still download the source code, check for hidden traps and compile it yourself of course. :)

 

I'll have a look on the other reported issues later today...

 

Thanks, J2_NobiWan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Win10 allows the warnings to be over-ridden ("Learn more" to start with, then "Keep anyway"). You might need to go through that more than once, including during install.

If you get an install error dialog (not a virus one), run the install as "Administrator" (right click the exe to see that option), it'll allow you a step further, then possibly another error dialog. Re-boot the PC, then the app should run.

Edited by JG51-Hetzer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr

Pick and take  ... and I did ...and its working really great  

now i only need my mucle memory working ;) 

 

thanx 

In window security , and then download again ....that's what I did 

C70C4A1D-2E0E-4DAC-A017-79CD59717016.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 5BMR_nikit said:

Hi Nobiwan, could you tell me the location where the program is installed? Despite allowing windows defender to open the program, the program will not open.

Thanks in advance

 

The app is a standalone executable, no installation needed. After downloading it should be in your download folder. You can run it from there or move it anywhere else.

If you don't see it in your download folder, maybe windows defender deleted it or put it under quarantine because of the false alert.

1 hour ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Sorry about the malware alerts, guys. Just to be totally sure I checked the .exe at virustotal.com and it gives me 3/71 detections which is a strong indicator of a false alert.

Unfortunately Windows Defender is one of those who give the false positive. This seem to prevent the download for some.

I suspect the issue to resolve itself after a while, but I'm no expert on this.

 

You could still download the source code, check for hidden traps and compile it yourself of course. :)

 

I'll have a look on the other reported issues later today...

 

Thanks, J2_NobiWan

 

I replaced the downloadable executable with a debug version (same functionality) which passes windows defender without problem. If you had trouble downloading please try again now.

You probably still have to bypass the "unknown publisher" warning though.

Edited by J2_NobiWan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jack59 said:

 

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

 

I've tried it with auto rotation both enabled and disabled; no joy. I'm using the Valve Index.  I cleared out any shared mappings between your utility and my joystick, other than sharing your reset button with my VR reset/centering button.

 

Incidentally, when I enable the auto function, and move the HMD the requisite amount to trigger rotation, the upper left of your dialog boxes flashes between 0 and 30 (or -30) almost too fast for the eye to see.

 

From what you write I suspect something is overwriting the the offset angle. Is it possible that you had OVR Advanced Settings running before? I had some difficulty to get rid of it, even though I uninstalled it. Maybe another tool that I don't know?

 

Something else you could try is to test it in SteamVR Home. If the app is working there it has something to do with your IL2 settings.

As a last resort you might try to reinstall SteamVR...

 

Edited by J2_NobiWan
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SYN_Haashashin pinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...