Simple tool to check your six

10 minutes ago, J5_Winkelmann said:

J2_NobiWan:

Thank you again for this wonderful piece of software. In the old version I got offsett left/right when looking at he tail, but the update solved all issues! I now look 'straight' back at my own tail. It works.

There is one downside, I killed J2_Bidu and shot up J2_Drookasi. He ran for home smoking. Sorry about that... (They should have flown for the Kaiser, really..)

J5_Winkelmann.

As real as it gets.

;)

Hi Nobiwan, Well, afer using your excellent utility for weeks in the other sim, I've just upgraded to a new rig and reinstalled everything and now unfortunately, I cannot get it to work properly. the snap left and right are fine so long as I haven't moved my head from it's original centered position, but if I turn it first, it snaps and when I snap back and look back centre I'm a couple of feet further forward and slightly to the right or left depending on which way I turned. Recentering sorts it out again but is obviously a pain to do every time.

Interestigly it's not limited to the other sim. I get the same issue from the Steamvr construct. I get the same issue with 1.6 and 2.02 and I've tried your varius options combinations.

18 minutes ago, shaun57 said:

Hi Nobiwan, Well, afer using your excellent utility for weeks in the other sim, I've just upgraded to a new rig and reinstalled everything and now unfortunately, I cannot get it to work properly. the snap left and right are fine so long as I haven't moved my head from it's original centered position, but if I turn it first, it snaps and when I snap back and look back centre I'm a couple of feet further forward and slightly to the right or left depending on which way I turned. Recentering sorts it out again but is obviously a pain to do every time.

Interestigly it's not limited to the other sim. I get the same issue from the Steamvr construct. I get the same issue with 1.6 and 2.02 and I've tried your varius options combinations.

.strike the last past. SteamVR actually behaves itself if I set options "auto" and "seated", so it's only the other sim that is the issue.

Observation: The further round I turn my head before using the snap, the closer I am to the HUD when I turn back.

Oh, looks like you are right. I can see that issue in DCS too. But only if my viewing point is not centered (arrow in SteamVR not pointing straight ahead).

I thought that I compensated for this but it looks like I'll have to check it again.

For now please try resetting your Headset so that the Arrow in SteamVR point straight forward.

I'll look into it over the Weekend.

16 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Oh, looks like you are right. I can see that issue in DCS too. But only if my viewing point is not centered (arrow in SteamVR not pointing straight ahead).

I thought that I compensated for this but it looks like I'll have to check it again.

For now please try resetting your Headset so that the Arrow in SteamVR point straight forward.

I'll look into it over the Weekend.

Some strange behavior going on in the SteamVR construct when I do that. If I use the SteamVr recentre, the arrow is below my feet pointing forward. However, then as soon as I do a snap, my view immediately rotates almost 90% left (so the Steam screen display is now on my right) and I'm a foot or two right of centre.

I don't think that's anything to do with your app as the same thing happens when I run any steam app and then retrun to the construct.

Seems like a problem with SteamVR/WMR setup but no idea how to correct it.

So anyway, if I recentre in SteamVR before launching DCS the issue is worse that if I don't as my display rotates left when I snap.

40 minutes ago, shaun57 said:

Some strange behavior going on in the SteamVR construct when I do that. If I use the SteamVr recentre, the arrow is below my feet pointing forward. However, then as soon as I do a snap, my view immediately rotates almost 90% left (so the Steam screen display is now on my right) and I'm a foot or two right of centre.

I don't think that's anything to do with your app as the same thing happens when I run any steam app and then retrun to the construct.

Seems like a problem with SteamVR/WMR setup but no idea how to correct it.

So anyway, if I recentre in SteamVR before launching DCS the issue is worse that if I don't as my display rotates left when I snap.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

It seems the entire problem was between SteamVR and WMR.

I went into the WMR cliff house, brought up a desktop window so I would see the WMR portal window then went into "setup room boundary" and selected Seating/standing. Then with the headset still on I made sure I was sitting exactly where I'd be to fly DCS and allowed the seating/standing setup to complete.

Now when I go into SteamVR I'm already perfectly centred and you marvellous app works perfectly in DCS !!!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, TWC_Mal said:

Great program, using the manual option here.

Cant figure out what are those numbers in autorotation, can someone explain:

image.png.75e2f5aada10bfaa5bd4f191006bb842.png

By coincidence I just added some explanations to the first post a few hours ago... :)

26 minutes ago, Oraclenok said:

When I start the program V203, I get a message: "unable to connect to SteamVR/OpenVR". How to get rid of this?

Are you using SteamVR? VRNS is not working with OpenComposite...

Play around with starting SteamVR first/last. It seems that different Headsets behave different.

Edited by J2_NobiWan

Thanks J2_NobiWan  great work on this app for VR 👍 ,  also for seniors... double 👍👍 , the neck loose flexibility fron the forties onwards 😉

I will kindly ask for a little mod in your app, it will be great if you could add the following suggestion.

I have been google looking for how to assign a joystick button to the new feature "flashlight" of windows mixed reality or steamVR apps, i did not found any acceptable because you have to use your VR controls as well. 

The "flashlight" let you view your real surround without give up the game, very usefully feature for physical keyboard interaction, helios profile touch screen or buttons in your physical panels environment.

For futures updates, it will be great if you could add a "Set flashlight button" to this app. 

Thanks anyway !!!

flashlight.jpg

4 hours ago, Wichow said:

Thanks J2_NobiWan  great work on this app for VR 👍 ,  also for seniors... double 👍👍 , the neck loose flexibility fron the forties onwards 😉

I will kindly ask for a little mod in your app, it will be great if you could add the following suggestion.

I have been google looking for how to assign a joystick button to the new feature "flashlight" of windows mixed reality or steamVR apps, i did not found any acceptable because you have to use your VR controls as well. 

The "flashlight" let you view your real surround without give up the game, very usefully feature for physical keyboard interaction, helios profile touch screen or buttons in your physical panels environment.

For futures updates, it will be great if you could add a "Set flashlight button" to this app. 

Thanks anyway !!!

flashlight.jpg

What VR headsets does this feature work with? One of the reasons that I only use my Rift intermittently is that I can't see the keyboard or anything else in the real world while in hood. This would be a great change for me. 

Edited by JG1_Vonrd

I can tell you it works great with my RiftS. Only thing is that it currently only works if you're using the SteamVR runtime and I'm sure the Rift will work with that. But it's not gonna work if you're using opencomposite regardless of headset as the app isn't ported to that. I had been using opencomposite but switched to SteamVR just to use this app. So much better being able to look around and not have to near injure yourself doing it! The minor dip in performance switching over to steam runtime was an easy tradeoff. 

• Sad 1
21 hours ago, Wichow said:

Thanks anyway !!!

Hi Wichow, thanks for your comments. :)

I would love to have the "flashlight" (or "passthrough" for oculus) on a joystick button but really have no idea how to achieve that...  I will look into it but i'm not very optimistic that it is doable.

20 hours ago, ACG_Scooby said:

can i make a profile like track ir? ie upto 90 degs either way have it 1:1 but after that ramp it up so i can look dead 6, easier

Yes, autorotation can do this, have a look at the newly added explanation at the first post. It will however not ramp up the rotation continuously like TrackIR does, but in steps. This is necessary to avoid nausea. For me the sweet spot seems to be about 10 deg per step starting at 60 deg head rotation, but you can configure it to use smaller steps or start e.g. at 90 deg.

Thanks for your efforts on this app.

I'm trying to set up the autorotation. When I try to set it like your example the act numbers I change  in the input  show in red and I only see a 10deg movement at the 60 deg turn in game.

When I exit the game the VR Neck Safer app revert back to the default settings in the autorotation area. 

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again. Q.B Piranha

On 2/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, vrFlyer3 said:

Great work @J2_NobiWan

Unfortunately its still the same issue in DCS for me.. both button mode and auto rotate mode.   tried the forced seated vs standing, compensation, etc.. no go.. still ends up reversed and behind.

VR Index, seated mode.

Thank you for your continued work on this app! 

before.thumb.png.60e78e42fea8dc5d6c0740ed100c5ccf.pngafter.thumb.png.110495c253270cb88487ac62582634cc.png

Same Problem with Index. I either get nothing but a flicker, I dropped down threw the floor, or I end up a few feet forward on the ground (between sitting and face to the pavement) at a 90 degrees left. In the Hanger I end up on the floor behind the menu screen under the SU27s wheel well facing left.

I'm going to guess this just doesn't work with the Valve index in DCS at this time. 😕

On 2/10/2021 at 6:54 PM, J2_NobiWan said:

Update v2.03:

small fix:  corrected fwd translation when autorotating to left

I am wondering about a "simple" mod to this wonderful app if you are capable of doing this: you have added the 6 o'clock view and that works well.  Can the 12 o'clock high (front and up) view be included?  Second only to neck rotation for the 6 o'clock view, neck extension (when looking high up in VR) to view what is above you is also a neck/cervical spine breaker!  Your thoughts on this are appreciated, <salute>

On 2/25/2021 at 9:09 AM, JG1_Vonrd said:

What VR headsets does this feature work with? One of the reasons that I only use my Rift intermittently is that I can't see the keyboard or anything else in the real world while in hood. This would be a great change for me. 

I'm still a bit confused. I would think that it only works with headsets that have external cameras. Is that a correct statement?

Been waiting for this a real long time!!! Thank you Sir!!

working perfectly in IL2  and not at all in DeeCeeEss.....back to IL2!!

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2021 at 4:18 AM, Friction said:

I am wondering about a "simple" mod to this wonderful app if you are capable of doing this: you have added the 6 o'clock view and that works well.  Can the 12 o'clock high (front and up) view be included?  Second only to neck rotation for the 6 o'clock view, neck extension (when looking high up in VR) to view what is above you is also a neck/cervical spine breaker!  Your thoughts on this are appreciated, <salute>

Oh yes, I totaly agree with the neck breaking potential of looking up high. But I think it is a bit more complicated here.

Since the inner ear organ in the head can only measure rotational yaw speed (acceleration actually) and not absolute yaw orientation (e.g. north), we get away with "jumps" in the visual yaw position. It's only important that the rotational speed is not messed with, so that there is no nausea inducing discrepancy between visual and inner ear rotational speed.

This is different for the pitch motion. Here we have an absolute sensor for the "down" direction, because gravity lets you feel where "down" is.  So jumps in the visual pitch orientation will bring you out of sync with your body's sensors.

However this is all not absolute. As everyone knows body and brain can adapt to a lot of things. It took me several weeks to adapt to VR flying in general but now it's totally fine for hours. And probably pitch rotation will also be tolerable after a while.

I'll add a button to "tilt up" and we will see how it goes. But you have been warned...! 😄

edit: Looks like I promised too much. See answer below...

On 3/2/2021 at 4:33 AM, JG1_Vonrd said:

I'm still a bit confused. I would think that it only works with headsets that have external cameras. Is that a correct statement?

Correct, "flashlight" or "passthrough" only works with headsets with cameras.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:36 AM, Damned_Major_Mayhem said:

Same Problem with Index. I either get nothing but a flicker, I dropped down threw the floor, or I end up a few feet forward on the ground (between sitting and face to the pavement) at a 90 degrees left. In the Hanger I end up on the floor behind the menu screen under the SU27s wheel well facing left.

I'm going to guess this just doesn't work with the Valve index in DCS at this time. 😕

On 3/2/2021 at 6:51 AM, skunk160 said:

Been waiting for this a real long time!!! Thank you Sir!!

working perfectly in IL2  and not at all in DeeCeeEss.....back to IL2!!

Yes, VRNS has still problems with DCS in combination with the Index. I'm looking into it... 

Would be good to know if other combinations don't work, or even better if someone got VRNS to work with DCS/Index! :)

Edited by J2_NobiWan

I have a Rift S and it works perfectly in IL2

90 80 30 0 0

with a well timed blink don't even see the jump cut view.  90 LR is still hard enough to do to look over my shoulder with my racing seat that it feels like I'm straining to look that far backwards.    

Edited by skunk160
8 hours ago, skunk160 said:

OH MAN.....its an overused cliché...but its a GAME CHANGER!!!

I cant go to the other combat sim now.....

LOL! Great that you find it useful! :)

To have VRNS work with your Rift-S in DCS you have to start DCS in SteamVR mode: "DCS.exe  --force_enable_VR  --force_steam_VR".

This will cost you some FPS though...

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2021 at 10:32 AM, J2_NobiWan said:

Oh yes, I totaly agree with the neck breaking potential of looking up high. But I think it is a bit more complicated here.

Since the inner ear organ in the head can only measure rotational yaw speed (acceleration actually) and not absolute yaw orientation (e.g. north), we get away with "jumps" in the visual yaw position. It's only important that the rotational speed is not messed with, so that there is no nausea inducing discrepancy between visual and inner ear rotational speed.

This is different for the pitch motion. Here we have an absolute sensor for the "down" direction, because gravity lets you feel where "down" is.  So jumps in the visual pitch orientation will bring you out of sync with your body's sensors.

However this is all not absolute. As everyone knows body and brain can adapt to a lot of things. It took me several weeks to adapt to VR flying in general but now it's totally fine for hours. And probably pitch rotation will also be tolerable after a while.

I'll add a button to "tilt up" and we will see how it goes. But you have been warned...! 😄

Well, it looks like my ramblings were for nothing. No "tilt up" option for now.

Short explanation: It's not possible in SteamVR/OpenVR, because it does not allow to pitch or roll the virtual universe, only yaw rotation is possible.

Longer explanation: Because VRNS can not directly manipulate the values of the view direction inside the game, it uses the "trick" to rotate the universe in the steamVR environment. To my surprise, this turns out to be only possible for the yaw orientation. Thinking about it, it does actually makes sense, since the accelerometer inside the goggles alows it to measure the real world abolute pitch and roll angle of the HMD, no need to set it from outside.  However this means that pitch (and roll) offset can only be achieved from inside the game engine which is not likely to happen.

So, I promised too much and we are limited to not breaking our necks in the yaw direction. Sorry!😉

Edited by J2_NobiWan
clarification

@skunk160

I'm trying to adjust the autorotation so it has less stages and rotates quicker. I'm not sure where you have  90 80 30 0 0 and in which order. What about de and rot.

Sorry for being so dense. 

8 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

LOL! Great that you find it useful! :)

To have VRNS work with your Rift-S in DCS you have to start DCS in SteamVR mode: "DCS.exe  --force_enable_VR  --force_steam_VR".

This will cost you some FPS though...

.....hmmm I'm at work....so i should wait till i finish worNOPE trying it now!!!!

46 minutes ago, QB.Piranha said:

@skunk160

I'm trying to adjust the autorotation so it has less stages and rotates quicker. I'm not sure where you have  90 80 30 0 0 and in which order. What about de and rot.

image.png.594fa28ee45968c76ceeb3a620f277c4.png  @QB.Piranhavalues I'm using currently

OK I'm back and IT works! I can see my "Spitfire" wings sweep for the first time!!!

but on return to center I'm above the "Spitfire" canopy and running in SteamVr FPS has taken a hit........ I'll continue to noodle with it

Edited by skunk160

@J2_NobiWan Hi, thanks for the excellent tool! One suggestion: could you allow a second key binding for re-centering? I have them different in IL2 and DCS (one keyboard and one joystick button, cannot change those to be the same)...  

Edited by Impalor
1 hour ago, Lieutenant_Meyer said:

Any idea why this program would have stopped working on me? I used it successfully this morning and now when I use my joystick mapping to enable it it no longer works?

I found if I let VRNS start steamvr it works, if steam is already running then i start VRNS its not happy

fixed my above canopy issue by forcing seating and seated compensation being on. ITs now a GAME GAME Changer for me....

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, QB.Piranha said:

@skunk160

It really isn't explained very well in the first post and I should make it more intuitive.

The stages are defined by the activation ("act") value (60,70,80,90,... in the picture on the first post). These values define at which physical head rotation (degrees) the snaps will happen.

The "rot" values (10,20,30,40... deg) define how much the view will snap (rotate) at the corresponding "act" value .

The "de" values define when the snap angle will revert back to the last "rot" value when the head is turned back again. Simply set these to the previous "act" value +1 as in the example.

So, to rotate quicker you would increase the "rot" values (e.g. 20,40,60,..).

To start the snap rotation earlier you would decrease the "act" values (e.g. 40,50,60,70...).

I hope this makes sense! If not don't hesitate to ask! :)

3 hours ago, Lieutenant_Meyer said:

Any idea why this program would have stopped working on me? I used it successfully this morning and now when I use my joystick mapping to enable it it no longer works?

Sometime SteamVR gets a hickup when the app / game is started in the wrong order. On my system I need to kill steamVR and Oculus and restart it.

This seems to be different on different HMDs. There are two options under "app mode" in VRNS that you can play with to find a working solution... 

4 hours ago, Impalor said:

@J2_NobiWan Hi, thanks for the excellent tool! One suggestion: could you allow a second key binding for re-centering? I have them different in IL2 and DCS (one keyboard and one joystick button, cannot change those to be the same)...  

You could use different VRNS config files for the two sims. The config file name can be given as a parameter when starting VRNS.

Edited by J2_NobiWan
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help....it appears I need to run in overlay mode and have the program start Steam VR. One more question.....sometimes I find that when I open the program my rotation numbers have changed (also when I add numbers in the box turns red). Does anyone know why that may occur? Thank you

Thank you

Edited by Lieutenant_Meyer