Game version 4.504 discussion: Rough terrain visualization, New cockpit sounding, GFX improvements and other

Han

7 hours ago, LukeFF said:

100% in-game volume, 20% on my headphones on Windows control panel. That is the way you're going to hear the sounds properly, at least on my system. The key is to set the volume inside the game to max and then adjust your Windows volume to whatever is a comfortable listening level. 

I have my Windows volume at 100% and am controlling the final output via the headphone amp, in order not to reduce the overall dynamic range output to external USB DAC.

The problem is relative volume of the VOIP software vs. the in-game volume - which is by far too loud, i.e. you can't hear anyone on comms if you have it higher than 20-25%.

This is the only game I have problems like that.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

100%?!?!?!

I have it at 20% at b

I have to agree with Thor, playing on line with a squad you will not be able to hear any comms, my group uses Teamspeak.

i have my game volume at about 15%

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Yes, same here. This has been the Dev recommendation since the first year of release. Run in-game volume at MAX and then tune it to your desire in WINDOWS sound mixer (volume).  Right click on voume instead of left click brings up the mixer. All of the programs you want to use/mix have to be open to find them in the mixer. I also run Teamspeak at 90% and mix it with windows to get the levels correct.

The thought of setting up the volume like that has crossed my mind. Why is this the only game that requires this approach?? What you're doing essentially is lowering the dynamic range again by lowering individual application volume inside the windows mixer...

A needless hassle IMHO.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

2 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Yes, same here. This has been the Dev recommendation since the first year of release. Run in-game volume at MAX and then tune it to your desire in WINDOWS sound mixer (volume).  Right click on voume instead of left click brings up the mixer. All of the programs you want to use/mix have to be open to find them in the mixer. I also run Teamspeak at 90% and mix it with windows to get the levels correct.

Not thought of that will have to try it.

Salute

SCG_FeuerFliegen
6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, definitely.

Any suggestions for me to be able to listen to a youtube video (or anything else) in the background and still have my IL-2 volume at 100%?  At this point, with IL-2 at 100%, other sounds can't come close to it... like a youtube video for me at 100% is basically not audible if IL-2 is also at 100%

5 minutes ago, DD_Friar said:

Not thought of that will have to try it.

Salute

I think you made an error of smth, that is not my qoute. 😄

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

6./ZG26_Custard
6 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

Took off from a frozen lake on the Veleki Luki winter map.  The plane was bouncing like it was going to break the landing gear before it could get off the ground.  

Did you go slightly off piste maybe? The ground just off of the prepared "strip" is rough. 

13 minutes ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Any suggestions for me to be able to listen to a youtube video (or anything else) in the background and still have my IL-2 volume at 100%?  At this point, with IL-2 at 100%, other sounds can't come close to it... like a youtube video for me at 100% is basically not audible if IL-2 is also at 100%

As other have said: Just lower the percentage for Il-2 in the Windows Sound Mixer :)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

This is half of the top speed of WWII fighters....

... and in a plane with a ~1/4 (if Yak 52) or ~1/6 (if Yak 18) horse power compared at a ww2 fighter. The engine noise of a ~1500 hp engine can't be compared with the one with ~300 HP.

And since I flew this plane too owned by a friend, I know that the cockpit a these Yak are not at all windproof. You can often see the ground betwen cockpit and fuselage (and also hear the pneumatic mechanisms like nowhere else) :) They are rustic planes built like in another time, it's often better to be warmly dressed to fly in it :)And don't forget this : your camera doesn't have a closed helmet which eliminates the weakest noises.

Like I already said upper, this improvment seems done for light planes and open cockpit planes like FC, which was maybe the 1st target of this sound improvement before WW2 planes. This wind noise is common between FC and Box / GB isn't it...?

I also tried with 100% volume sound in game with adjustment in W10 or on my head phone but I got the same problem, it's insufferable for me beyong 30 min.

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Confused 1

SCG_FeuerFliegen
22 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Did you go slightly off piste maybe? The ground just off of the prepared "strip" is rough. 

That part was also smooth for me.  

So the sound issues are...

Needing 100% in-game volume to get the best from the stereo format. Con: it drowns out any other sounds the player needs, like comms, unless on a separate system (game through desktop speakers, comms through headphones on a separate audio output etc). Doable but a faff for many.

Sounds of wind globally optimised by the devs but without seeming to have considered that the one-size-fits-all implementation doesn't take account of the myriad of different sound-systems in use by the thousands of players.

Ear fatigue according to age, accuity and etc. Some players can cope with that constant high-frequency drone, others are driven nuts. Lol.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Tried landing and taking off in the field with a Po-2 and the rough terrain switched on.  Even unarmed and at 40% fuel the aircraft is glued in place and cannot move.    It seems a takeoff is only possible outside of an airfield if terrain roughness is disabled entirely.  

2 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Tried landing and taking off in the field with a Po-2 and the rough terrain switched on.  Even unarmed and at 40% fuel the aircraft is glued in place and cannot move.    It seems a takeoff is only possible outside of an airfield if terrain roughness is disabled entirely.  

I got airborne but only with judicious use of the elevator and being very careful to hold it a couple of foot off the ground once I was to let the speed build up. Possible but it's a rollercoaster until you get airborne.

I had the roughness set to medium, but even at 100% throttle and twisting the control surfaces to try and get any movement at all, the aircraft was stuck motionless as if in cement.

32 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I had the roughness set to medium, but even at 100% throttle and twisting the control surfaces to try and get any movement at all, the aircraft was stuck motionless as if in cement.

AFAIK you can only choose the visual representation, the physics stay the same in all settings.

52 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

So the sound issues are...

Needing 100% in-game volume to get the best from the stereo format. Con: it drowns out any other sounds the player needs, like comms, unless on a separate system (game through desktop speakers, comms through headphones on a separate audio output etc). Doable but a faff for many.

Sounds of wind globally optimised by the devs but without seeming to have considered that the one-size-fits-all implementation doesn't take account of the myriad of different sound-systems in use by the thousands of players.

Ear fatigue according to age, accuity and etc. Some players can cope with that constant high-frequency drone, others are driven nuts. Lol.

You can have ingame vol to 100% and lower the output in the windows sound mixer as has been suggested many times in this thread. (I do the same, no need for multiple sound cards)

55 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I have flown a Ju52 online frequently before the terrain update with Squad mates on a resupply mission which requires landing on a strip between markers, unloading and then taking off again. If I have strayed outside of the  landing strip markers and unloaded I have found that I am unable to move back to the strip to take off most of the time even with 50% fuel. On rare occasions I have been able to move. I don't know if the strip created to land on places a temporary airfield there or if the strip uses the normal terrain present. 

I haven't flown this mission yet with the new terrain but it appears the bogged down issue was there prior to the update.  

cardboard_killer
3 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Why does this picture in the update show a US pilot model and the one I still have when I tried out the P-39 in QMB is VVS?  I just took these screenshots a few minutes ago.

The pilot conforms to the designation in the mission builder. The QMB's default is Soviet for the P-39 because it came in BoK. If you make a mission in the MB and designate the side US, the pilot (and radio chatter) would be American. IIRC.

1 hour ago, 216th_Jordan said:

AFAIK you can only choose the visual representation, the physics stay the same in all settings.

You can have ingame vol to 100% and lower the output in the windows sound mixer as has been suggested many times in this thread. (I do the same, no need for multiple sound cards)

You can lower the game's sound in the windows mixer while keeping sound high for comms (eg discord) from one output source?

5 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

You can lower the game's sound in the windows mixer while keeping sound high for comms (eg discord) from one output source?

Yes, look here :)

image.png.bd529481be97a2647aef4764f5f767e1.png

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

and in a plane with a ~1/4 (if Yak 52) or ~1/6 (if Yak 18) horse power compared at a ww2 fighter. The engine noise of a ~1500 hp engine can't be compared with the one with ~300 HP.

Wind noise increases exponentially with speed.

Even diving at full power, at 700kph wind noise will be very very loud.

• Upvote 1

On the subject of noises in the cockpit, can we please have louder cannons, at least on the Spitfire :)

Below is my reason for asking:

Douglas Bader said the Spitfire cannons were "bloody noisy, as to make one go deaf."

He spoke lovingly of the Spitfire, and especially of its eight Browning .303 machine guns in its wings. When the Germans then began to equip some of their Luftwaffe airplanes with armor, Supermarine reconfigured the Spitfire with two 20mm Hispano cannons, and four Browning .303s. He recalled the first time he used the cannons while engaging a Messerschmitt BF-109 fighter over the English Channel, saying that its use was so “bloody noisy, as to make one go deaf.” Aside from the noise associated with the cannons, he also recalled the vibrations felt in his airplane every time he depressed the button to fire off a few 20mm rounds, “it very nearly shook you apart.”

https://www.guns.com/news/2011/07/27/supermarine-spitfire-fighters-hispano-cannons-and-browning-303-machine-guns-with-douglas-bader

•  

I use discord to talk to my squadmates and it has a setting to lower game noises X% when others are talking.  I have mine set so game noises drop to 20%.  If I remember, Teamspeak had something similar?

I've done a few missions in the 109 and the wind-noise is no biggie on my speakers. A more pronounced engine sound would be nice but my buttkicker makes up for any lack via the speakers. OMMV.

1 hour ago, J3Hetzer said:

my buttkicker makes up for any lack via the speakers. OMMV.

yup, highly recommend everyone get a buttkicker and enjoy the sub base rumble of every plane in the game. It adds so much to the immersion factor that I can no longer fly without them...   All of the engine volume level "shortcomings" will be more than made up by the sub base rumble, I guarantee it.   The Emil E-7 in this configuration sounds down right menacing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Why does this picture in the update show a US pilot model and the one I still have when I tried out the P-39 in QMB is VVS?  I just took these screenshots a few minutes ago.

01.jpg

2020-12-19-7-55-52.png

2020-12-19-8-16-57.png

Pilot model is tied to the set nationality of the aircraft in the mission file. QMB uses the default nationality for each aircraft, which for the P-39 (because it came with Kuban) is the USSR. Changing the skin does not effect the mission file's nationality. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Here my video performed few minutes ago (it's a raw take, obviously).

It's what I hear since the new sounds (W10 = 50%, sound in game = 100% like recommanded).

Please, tell me if your sound is the same like mine. If the response is not, let me know the difference. Thanks

https://youtu.be/Na2tbv62CXo

P.S : I never used any mod.

Edited by Otto_bann

14 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

Here my video performed few minutes ago (it's a raw take, obviously).

It's what I hear since the new sounds (W10 = 50%, sound in game = 100% like recommanded).

Please, tell me if your sound is the same like mine. If the response is not, let me know the difference. Thanks

https://youtu.be/Na2tbv62CXo

P.S : I never used any mod.

I think you should try a much lower W10 sound mixer settings. I have it at 2%, for some reason I have to lower it to the minimum if I wan`t to have in game sounds at 100%. And of course, there`s a difference in the headsets.

Already tried. Same problem : the deep rumble is staying, just lower, + it decrease all of other sounds in game (bombs, cannons, gears...). I tried to manage W10 upper and lower, in game also, in my headset too, it's a failure so far. Thanks anyway.

Edited by Otto_bann

II/JG17_HerrMurf
8 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

Already tried. Same problem : the deep rumble is staying, just lower, + it decrease all of other sounds in game (bombs, cannons, gears...). Thanks anyway.

I'd still leave it at 100% and use the Windows mixer for ratios with other programs. You should have a native equalizer on your sound card (soundblaster etc) where you can adjust bass and treble levels to get the sound you want in game.

Checked the update in my studio today.  The wind vs engine sound seems spot on. I have no issues hearing my engine over the wind noise, nor are the in game communications buried.

14 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

The thought of setting up the volume like that has crossed my mind. Why is this the only game that requires this approach?? What you're doing essentially is lowering the dynamic range again by lowering individual application volume inside the windows mixer...

A needless hassle IMHO.

This is an old, old recommendation, originally posted by none other by Oleg Maddox. The idea is that you set the sound volume in the game to the maximum audio level it can generate and then adjust the volume of your speakers or headphones with the Windows control panel to a comfortable listening level. With me, that means 100% in-game volume and then 20% volume in Windows 10 for my Grado SR325e headphones. The result in IL2 has always been crisp, clear audio at the levels the game's designers intended players to have.

Coincidentally, that 20% volume level also works well with the other game series I play, Combat Mission (which doesn't have any in-game volume controls).

Edited by LukeFF

8 hours ago, LukeFF said:

This is an old, old recommendation, originally posted by none other by Oleg Maddox. The idea is that you set the sound volume in the game to the maximum audio level it can generate and then adjust the volume of your speakers or headphones with the Windows control panel to a comfortable listening level. With me, that means 100% in-game volume and then 20% volume in Windows 10 for my Grado SR325e headphones. The result in IL2 has always been crisp, clear audio at the levels the game's designers intended players to have.

Coincidentally, that 20% volume level also works well with the other game series I play, Combat Mission (which doesn't have any in-game volume controls).

IL-2 1946 sounds weren't exactly its strong point. :)

No other game in my lifetime (that I have played) required such approach - i.e. lowering individual application volume inside windows mixer. Ever. And I have been gaming for over 20 years now.

The 20% windows volume in your case isn't the problem here. Lowering windows volume as in controlling the final output is the way to do it for 90% of the users which plug their headsets directly into the MBO, soundcard or feature an USB DAC built into the headsets themselves.

Problem here is when you add another app into the (windows) mix - relative volume vs. other app volume levels, or in this case VOIP comms. What those of us who use voice comms now have to do (in order to keep the in-game volume at 100%) is essentially the same, just the other way around. Meaning we don't experience the full dynamic range of the in-game audio since its volume is (substantially) lowered than the final windows output.

For comparison with your setup, my case scenario is: Win10 => USB DAC (DAC only mode, i.e. max volume) => headphone amp (volume and gain control) => headphones (switching a modmic USB between them).

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
re-arranged for clarity

I use a usb DAC (the good old dragonfly) and bypass anything else - this either gets sent to the main  hi fi  power amps directly or  I can plug the headphones in directly - If I had any criticism over the change it would be the wind noise now has a certain flutter quality to it ( I cant think of  better word) and the radio chatter to me now seems louder but not in a good way - at this point Im not sure if I like it or not and as Im so Newb  to the game I cant say Im noticing a vast difference.. The wind noise however does stand out.. 

Im just glad they are still trying to improve it..

I have to admit Im quite surprised there are not a lot more (menu) sound adjustments though...

Great little update! I noticed the new cockpit ram air sounds, very good feedback in VR. NIce touches with the smoke and fires too.

18 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

01.jpg

2020-12-19-7-55-52.png

2020-12-19-8-16-57.png

Really wish we could get a modification option to select American and British pilots for applicable aircraft just like we have for the female pilots. 

Running 5.1 with my analog 5.1 headset the engine sound is much more noticeable, but the ram air picks up as expected. With 2.0/2.1 the engine is more muted but still very present with more audible air - air audio especially picks up as speeds increase, which is what I've heard in little baby airplanes like Cessnas so sounds about right. Looks like its time to get a much better 2.0 headset.

Using SBZ audio card with CM Storm Sirus 5.1 currently.

• Han unpinned this topic