Game version 4.504 discussion: Rough terrain visualization, New cockpit sounding, GFX improvements and other

Han

3 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Yup, I have stick time in both the AT-6 and P-51. I've flown aboard B-25's and B-17's. I've crewed in military helicopters (open and closed) as well as civilian helicopters (sealed cockpit). In none of them has the wind noise ever exceeded the engine noise or even been close. The P-51 engine was loud enough that I adjusted the intercom up a bit from where it was initally. The wind in game is now a bit overdone.

Have you checked your sound settings? Because in my game the engine noise seems to be much louder than the wind noise.

I flew the ju-52 and p-51 last night testing out the new sound, and I really enjoy it and think the levels of everything are better than before on my setup at home. I'm running Windows volume at 100%, game volume at 100% with Sennheiser G4ME Zeroe stereo headphones.

Right away the engine noise felt louder to me in the cockpit than pre-patch, which is great! I always thought the audio got quieter overall after the last major sound update a year or two ago. So the extra umph feels great so far.

I dig the wind noise effects so far. in a slower plane like the ju-52 you don't notice it as much, but it's there. Very cool feeling in VR to move your head closer to the window and hear the wind louder. Very subtle but nice. Also opening the window in the ju-52 did make the noise louder. I read some reports of people saying opening the canopy didn't change anything. In the two planes I tested I could notice a difference still and it seemed to be working as intended.

The p-51 being a faster airplane had the wind noise much louder. I didn't think it was too loud, I could still make out the engine noise good. It's so nice to be able to "feel" how fast you are going without having to look down at the speedometer in a dive, you can just tell by the wind noise. Again very immersive for us VR users.

For those having problems maybe check your audio settings and make sure you aren't using 5.1 or 7.1, Jason said the audio is design for stereo. That could be part of the problem folks are having with the loud wind noise? I just wanted to say not everyone is having issues and I'm sure everything sounds good for most of us :) I'll keep testing other aircraft out. But overall this is a big improvement!

• Upvote 3

S! All

For FC vol II , I see a lot of request for this plane or that plane. I have a request. Honest, I really do.

In RoF we had a couple of "special" vehicles. They were a horse drawn ammo wagon and a horse drawn gun carriage.  They looked really cool moving around and were very appropriate for that time period. Actually they are very appropriate for WW II.   They make a wonderful target not just eye candy.

Any chance that these could be added?

Please.

• Upvote 3

cardboard_killer

While the idea of strafing virtual soldiers doesn't bother me, I draw the line at innocent virtual horses and mules :)

II/JG17_HerrMurf
25 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Have you checked your sound settings? Because in my game the engine noise seems to be much louder than the wind noise.

Sound settings are fine. I'd say the wind on some AC is almost the same volume as the engine sounds. Don't think any quite exceed the engine sounds but even this is not correct in my experience. I've been in the P-51 at speeds above 275 knots and the B-17 was like sitting inside a speaker with the bass turned way up. The only times wind has been louder, in my flying experience, has been when I've been hanging outside a helicopter on scout missions and that time I got to stick my head out of the radio operators bay in the B17.

B17 wind noise.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

They only modified it.  The AI will still happily dive into the ground if it still has ammo (J/K ... I hope :) )

And they'll bring it back as a feature when the Pacific Theatre is added! ;)

• Haha 2

I tried a single mission on my loved map "Brussels 1944 or 1945" any random season and the new patch makes a big difference when flying at low and medium altitudes the easy and small rolling hills of those regions are now present. Were before it was all flatland, now there is volume and diversity. Thanks, the team of this patch how does not impact the performance of the game and make it a lor more immersive.  Thanks once again for your formidable work. :salute::salute::salute:

• Upvote 1

If I select a P-39 in Quick Mission builder with a US skin, I still hear Russian comms. I thought I would get the US pilot if I picked the US skin? Or does that only work in Career or Single mission modes?

I did two quick test flights with a Bf 109 G-2 and a G-14. I think the wind noises are fine, but the engines on both planes sounds a bit muffled now.

PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, JG1_Butzzell said:

S! All

For FC vol II , I see a lot of request for this plane or that plane. I have a request. Honest, I really do.

In RoF we had a couple of "special" vehicles. They were a horse drawn ammo wagon and a horse drawn gun carriage.  They looked really cool moving around and were very appropriate for that time period. Actually they are very appropriate for WW II.   They make a wonderful target not just eye candy.

Please.

Wagon is really good for WWII as well.  German army was more horse drawn than motorized.

PatrickAWlson
3 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

Yeah, famous was the horse drawn 'goulash cannon'. A small field kitchen; more or less a mobile fireplace with a big kettle.

I made a 1/32nd scale model of that once.  Why?  I don't know.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I guess that it was 1/35 🙂 Probably Tamiya. 

1 hour ago, kestrel79 said:

I flew the ju-52 and p-51 last night testing out the new sound, and I really enjoy it and think the levels of everything are better than before on my setup at home. I'm running Windows volume at 100%, game volume at 100% with Sennheiser G4ME Zeroe stereo headphones.

Hi Kestrel,

I challenge anyone to use my simulator since the new patch at your values. The volume of my Windows is 50% and the one of the game at 10%. And I already can't stay flying 1 hour.

My headset is a Logitech G432 and I tried to remove the Surround and play with the other settings but nothing has improved my problem so far. I gonna try with an other headset soon, but I don't noticed any change on my other softs.

I can't use IL2 anymore in current conditions.

Edited by Otto_bann

5 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I still have a Tamiya model of the Gulaschkanone, even with horses.😁

It's still in its package, somehow I did't manage to assemble it. Long ago.

40 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

If I select a P-39 in Quick Mission builder with a US skin, I still hear Russian comms. I thought I would get the US pilot if I picked the US skin? Or does that only work in Career or Single mission modes?

The P-39 is hard-coded in quick missions to have Russian radio comms and the Russian pilot model. Picking the skin has nothing to do with it - that has to be set in the mission editor.

7 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

We try to make this sim as close to reality as we can. To give you a feeling of real flight and what the air war was. The sound environment is a big thing. It makes difference...

Thank you for this more respectful response.

For me and in the level of what seem the priorities, I would not have thought about the wind noise in the cockpit, but rather about improving the appearance of the clouds.

I didn't have many flights with the new update until now.

In the Bf-109 the loud wind noise is a bit too much for my taste. Too present.

Even at slow speed at landings I couldn't hear the sound of the hydraulics for lowering the gear and the turning of the flaps' handwheel anymore.

I did like to have that as an audible feedback.

And I still had a lot of crashing AI planes; in SP it's the worst enemy for both sides at the moment. Recently I have played a mission in Vanders mission generator and all ca. 12 planes in the mission were labeled as 'crashed' in the logbook later.

4 hours ago, Noisemaker said:

This video is clearly fake.  Not a single ground loop while taxiing?  ;)

I guess, you taxi 4 times his speed 😀

the english say "No need to taxi faster than a man can walk"

fliddlesticks
16 hours ago, Beebop said:

I'm confused.  Is the "unprepared field" fix in this update?

I ask because I still can't take off. 

I restarted after the update and tested the Po-2 on Lapino Summer landing in a large open field.  The landing was rough but the plane survived without damage and the wheels aren't up to the hubs.  And although it was very bumpy I was able to get off the ground albeit it took some time to get airborne.

But on subsequent attempts I can not get off the ground.  I can get to a max of 40KPH but no faster.  If I hit a big "dirt clod" the plane slow to 25~30 KPH and won't pick up any more speed.  I finally had engine failure trying to take off.

So are only some areas takeoff friendly?  If so what are the parameters?  Is it only on the Arras map? 

Am I doing something wrong or do I misunderstand that this "fix" is in this update??  

This would open up a world of possibilities for the mission builder.

Nevermind.  I figured it out.  I have to turn Terrain roughness to "Off".

I don't mean to me snarky but again we are given a feature with barely an explanation of how it works, just that it can be adjusted.  I'm not asking for detailed instructions on every little thing but this is a feature that many users, both flyers and tankers would use.

"The detail of this visualization can be adjusted or completely disabled and works at ‘Medium’ or better graphics settings preset;"
Which makes no mention of the dialog box 'Terrain roughness' or what those settings mean in the Graphics settings menu.  I know, I know, we are expected to be smart enough to figure that out.  Has anyone looked at the kinds of questions asked here?   A lot of folks are kind of clueless including most of us when we started.  I always wonder how many potential long term customers were lost because they got frustrated with not being able to figure the basics out and looking for but not finding an FAQ of some kind.

I know, STFU and learn, like you did, by trial and error.  I love this game but sometimes I could just scream!🤬

I love the team and their efforts to make this a great Sim, but I agree totally with you. Sometimes absolutely brilliant people just don't know how to explain things to us  lesser mortals. I don't think it's on purpose. They just assume we know more than we do or assume that we should know more than we do. I don't want to sound critical of the folks that have given us the best of all the combat flight sims, but I, same as you, struggle mightily to figure out how to do or handle some of the info given me.  Years ago, many companies used to hire professional teachers to write instructions for using their products , but in the age of "cost cutting",  I don't think that's happening much anymore. Yes, I'm an old codger, and to be fair, my age may be a factor in my being a little slow on the uptake at times, but my age is not the sole factor in this issue. I think there are many users of this sim that feel just like Beebop; "I love this game, but sometimes I could just scream."

25 minutes ago, Quax said:

I guess, you taxi 4 times his speed 😀

the english say "No need to taxi faster than a man can walk"

No mate.  It was just a joke.  I've long tamed the spitfire, but for an occasional emergency landing.  But enough derailing the thread.  Looking forward to seeing and hearing the update on Saturday when I can download it.

3 hours ago, JG1_Butzzell said:

S! All

Please.

Weren't the horse drawn carriages added with a mod, and not official?

Thanks for the update, love the sound improvements... wind over wings helps me a lot. 

Reading the comments about sound know different volume settings makes a difference in sound balance and watching the video with sound which is misleading due to mic placement and settings while recordings.

Only thing I can think of to make all folks happy would be to have an in cockpit sound mixer in the audio settings. Something allowing pilots to adjust sound levels for engines, wind, airframe etc. Whatever makes sense for some basic balance adjustments. 

For me personally, I'm a happy camper, great job devs...! Happy Holidays!

II/JG17_HerrMurf

This was my first time in a Mustang. The engine is LOUD, vibrates the plane ever so slightly, and carries a ton of bass. You can hear both the engine and the airflow in the video. The AT-6 is even more grumbly and buzzes the seat of your pants until you get airborne. There is literally no comparison to what we have in game. While the inline engines probably aren't as loud as the big late war radials they are still very loud in the cockpit. Loud enough that when you aren't using noise cancelling headsets you have to pay attention to the intercom. I've switched my mixer to stereo but it only improved the in-game audio marginally. I flew four aircraft variants and then flew online for an hour. I'm not looking for perfect audio or bass, in a game, but the ratio of engine to wind is clearly not correct.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
Clarity
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

We try to make this sim as close to reality as we can. To give you a feeling of real flight and what the air war was.
The sound environment is a big thing. It makes difference.

These changes of sound were initiated by me almost accidentally. We didn't plan them. So you can blame me for this.
But as a real pilot I would like to have the ram air noise informative. I would like to have the feeling of airspeed, and I would like to give this feeling to you. I personally would like to have this noise even more informative (which means louder at high speed), but we understand our limits and the fact that we develop a game for fun.

Therefore, when we are talking about "feeling" there is always a room for compromises. We try to do our best here.

I'm sorry that you don't like the new sound. If my produccer ask me or our sound artist Valery (with whom we made these changes) to readjust sound and reduce this noise then we will do this for sure. With all respect to our customers. I just keep hope that we are still developing a simulator, not just a video game.

By the way, I'm also not young (have been flying since 1991) and I find that several hours in a raw playing a computer game is a liittle bit too much. But I appreciate your dedication to this sim, thank you!

I really like the sound of the slipstream that I felt was very lacking before.  This really helps me sense the speed of the aircraft without the need to constantly check the airspeed dial.  Please do not go back to the previous soundscape.  A very slight reduction in the slipstream sound may be ok or perhaps just a slight reduction at mid range speeds.  But otherwise it is perfect and for me transforms the overall experience of flight.  

Edited by S10JlAbraxis
  • Upvote 1

• 1CGS
4 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I've been in the P-51 at speeds above 275 knots

Hi!
Thank you for your feedback!

I did not expect the airspeed more than 250 kts because of 14 CFR :rolleyes: therefore I made a quick test at this speed (which is 460 km/h).

Please watch this video and say what do you think. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 13

RNAS10_Oliver
1 hour ago, migmadmarine said:

Weren't the horse drawn carriages added with a mod, and not official?

I did not bother much with mods and I also remember seeing them online. So no do not believe so. I was not around from the start so maybe these started out as mods and later were incorporated? There was a mod that introduced moving soldiers that you might be thinking about?

EDIT: Guess was wrong.

Edited by Oliver88

II/JG17_HerrMurf
16 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

Hi!

I did not expect the airspeed more than 250 kts because of 14 CFR :rolleyes: therefore I made a quick test at this speed (which is 460 km/h).

You're right. 275 mph, not knots.

After watching the video, I"d say you should bump up the engine 10-15% and reduce the ram air effect 10-15%. I've always thought the engine noise/volume and bass levels were a little low. I am absolutely not opposed to the ram air effect and like the direction you are going with it. Even if you left it where it is and bumped up all of the engine volumes I think you'd be closer. It just needs a little more tweaking.

Clarity
  • Thanks 1

• 1CGS
1 hour ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

This was my first time in a Mustang. The engine is LOUD

Well, please check with more attention the interval from 0:20 to 0:30 on your video.
Unfortunately we can not see the airspeed indicator at that moment, but obviously the airspeed was increased and engine sound was like 'hideded' by air noise. But when the airspeed decreases the engine sounds louder again. This is exactly what we made, didn't we?

• Upvote 3

Flew with the new sound stuff last night and was relieved that the Darth Vader breathing has been adjusted again.  In the Tempest especially, it was very distracting, but now, I find it just subtle enough to hear, but not overbearing any more.

• Thanks 1

II/JG17_HerrMurf
20 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

Well, please check with more attention the interval from 0:20 to 0:30 on your video.
Unfortunately we can not see the airspeed indicator at that moment, but obviously the airspeed was increased and engine sound was like 'hideded' by air noise. But when the airspeed decreases the engine sounds louder again. This is exactly what we made, didn't we?

Sure, but the overall RATIO is not correct. Also, we did no high speed work on this flight. Just light aerobatics.

I like the intereaction of both sounds (engine/ram air) but the engine should be consistently louder in-game. Louder by ratio and louder overall. We both want good fidelity. I think the ram air is great. In my personal experience, however,  the engine should definitely be louder. I run the game volume at 100% and the engine sound has never really felt right in my headset or in my gut. I'm happy to take this to PM as I don't want you or anyone else to think I'm bagging on the game or your work, generally.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, they were mods.

originally they were mods but later added to the stock game.

I have no mods installed.

gun.jpg

Edited by JG1_Butzzell
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

Hi!

Boy I wish I had that option.

I realize and appreciate that you are making as realistic a flight sim as possible but there are a lot of 'casual' flyers as well.  tonight I flew with my squad and experienced the wind sound first hand in MP.  While acceptable to me in SP, in MP I found the wind noise much more noticeable.  Some of the guys found it too loud.  Each of us had a slightly different reaction to this feature.  Simply put, one size did not fit all.

I would suggest that either a slider or a multi-step option be included in the Game GUI to change the sound level of the wind.  Not everyone who plays this sim wants total realism.  After all you did include options for unlimited ammo/fuel/automatic engine management/invulnerability.  Why not a volume control or stepped volume option for wind sound?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JG1_Butzzell said:

originally they were mods but later added to the stock game.

I have no mods installed.

gun.jpg

I vaguely remembered it being adopted as official, thanks for checking

15 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

1) Same question fro you, do you have your own experience on REAL WW2 birds? Or you just did it so the online pilots can have a "feeling of speed"?

2) I will check that and report back. Thanks.

And I reminder. Im your fan. Nothing personal here, lets just share thoughts so we can have the best possible experience.  🙂

You must not know who AnPetrovich is.

8 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

This was my first time in a Mustang. The engine is LOUD, vibrates the plane ever so slightly, and carries a ton of bass. You can hear both the engine and the airflow in the video...

Thanks for this video.

I would be so happy if I had your video sound in my simulator.

I hear that the engine noise is clearly higher than the wind noise that you can barely hear. It's rather the opposite in my simulator.

The wind noise in a closed cockpit is very lower beside the one of a  ~1500 HP engine with free exhaust at 6 feet of the pilot's head with a closed helmet, it's obvious and your video prove it.

This "improvement" should be probably most adapted for planes with small engines and with open cockpits like the ones of WW1. I flew in a Stampe one time (biplane with open cockpit and I had a closed helmet) and yes, the wind noise looks like a bit at what I hear in my IL2 now.

The 1st goal of this change was perhaps to improve the sounds in Flying Circus. If it is the case it has been at the detriment of the WW2 aircraft sounds, not at all realistic, with this wind noise so high now.

Edited by Otto_bann

• Han unpinned this topic