YoYo

HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

18 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah I understand. I have some joysticks I no longer use I am going to gather all the hardware together for and sell them, probably along with my Rift CV1, to help offset the cost or maybe even get lucky and pay for the Reverb G2. At least that is how I justify in my mind, we'll see if I get around to it lol.

Exactly! I'll certainly be putting the CV1 up for sale. I've just pre-ordered the G2 having spoken to them about cancellation policy just in case I decide that the finances aren't up to it come September. Pretty excited now - should be quite a jump in resolution from the Rift S! Not that I have any issue with the Rift S as it is - it's still a very good headset as far as I'm concerned.

(Thanks for your words - gave me the confidence to go ahead with the pre-order :) )

Edited by wheeliemonsta
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wheeliemonsta said:

Exactly! I'll certainly be putting the CV1 up for sale. I've just pre-ordered the G2 having spoken to them about cancellation policy just in case I decide that the finances aren't up to it come September. Pretty excited now - should be quite a jump in resolution from the Rift S! Not that I have any issue with the Rift S as it is - it's still a very good headset as far as I'm concerned.

(Thanks for your words - gave me the confidence to go ahead with the pre-order :) )

:good:

I don't think I can re-invest anything from my special Frankenstein edition CV1 :)

image.thumb.png.36636fae09fd2cc02031951ab25a0c7e.png

19 hours ago, HunDread said:

Anyway I received an e-mail from De Rekelwinkel that they are cancelling my order and will return the money tomorrow.

I have just recieved the money back from De Rekelwinkel from my pre-order cancellation. Let´s see now how it evolves the G2 pricing in europe.

2 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

I have just recieved the money back from De Rekelwinkel from my pre-order cancellation. Let´s see now how it evolves the G2 pricing in europe.

Me too. No questions asked. They seem to be fair and fast.

22 minutes ago, HunDread said:

I don't think I can re-invest anything from my special Frankenstein edition CV1 :)

Why not? Looks like a very well-fabricated and industrious modification 🤣😜

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Since you have Artisan and Rift-S, both budget VR headsets, I would spend more time on adjusting the Artisan until you get what you should. Then you can tell to the people your comparison of both of them. 

If budget allows then buy an Index (just only device for 539€) and also the ReverG2.

Then keep just one and sell the others.

I am in the queue for the Index. I don't 100% agree that Artisan is a budget headset -- I got it for $650 Canadian, and then need to add base stations and controllers. It's as expensive as an Index overall I think.

I like your advice to adjust the Artisan, but it's another reason Pimax is for enthusiasts/tinkerers only -- I have an additional head strap component on the way from New Zealand to help with the crappy default elastic strap, and I think I badly need the "thin foam" but I have no idea when Pimax will begin to sell it.

I did the weight calculations last night. Artisan + silicone cover + wireless headset is actually 50 grams heavier, in total, than the Index!

Well that was promising.  Seems like there is very little downside with upgrading to this headset.  A lot of our guys have been waiting for a solid upgrade and this appears to be the choice of 2020.

I preordered! I'm super excited! Also, MRTV is damn good for VR videos.

20 hours ago, Alonzo said:

1) ignoring price for a second, let’s include Pimax. Would you rate a 5k+ better or worse than a Reverb?

2) I’m disappointed with my Artisan but haven't given up yet. What’s your IPD? Mine is 62.8 as measured by optometrist, and I find I can’t get the Pimax lenses close enough for best sweet spot. Maybe thin face foam would help?

3) why would you say index is so much worse than Reverb G1 for simming? Purely the resolution I guess?

4) Im at the “screw it, blow money on a better experience” stage....

Several questions here. I numbered them.

1) They have advantages and disadvantages. Personally I prefer the 5K+ SN204 with Comfort Kit, thinner foam, and HTC Deluxe Audio Strap. It has a massively larger FOV, no distortion, and Index-sharpness. But it needs 2 LH stations. Together with them you are at over 1000EUR / 1100USD. But the wide FOV just beats it, I can't go without that anymore. I don't need to turn around entirely and can watch my six too.

2) My IPD is 69mm. Maybe the thin foam would help, I haven't tried the Artisan.

3) In Simming you have the sun there in most cases, unlike in for example HLAlyx, where you are often underground. The sun creates massive glare in the Index lenses, which is highly disturbing to me. In night missions, lights create glare around it. The Index is also almost double the weight, especially front-heavy. The G1 is light like a feather. You also have a much sharper picture due to the higher resolution. The eye-box is larger on the Index and Pimax.

4) The problem is we don't know how the 4 months younger 8KX is like. I expect mine to ship in July. What Sebastian didn't mention is that you have control over the individual color channels on the Pimax headsets (you can do so as well for G1 by using fpsVR). I ordered the G2 before the pre-order went live from Schenker/bestware to check it out early too.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

In two hours and 45 min

🍿:)

Did he even say anything bad about it? 

600x600bb.jpg

Edited by 41Sqn_Skipper

Well Skipper, you know he talks in superlatives. He's still independent though, to some degree. He said the 8KX he has is a 4-5months old pre-production model, which is fair. There is several months of engineering in the final version.

The COO of Pimax said this almost a week ago:

image.png.36d2fabb178f6037cb9432fd9fa10945.png

12 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

Did he even say anything bad about it? 

600x600bb.jpg

No he didn’t say much negative.  Obviously  the FOV isn’t as large as the index but he said it isn’t even a consideration given all of the other improvements.  

Pre-ordered.

I’d been waiting sooooooo long for something from Oculus, that justified the term “upgrade”, from my original Rift CV1, I didn’t want to get into a cycle of buying the next thing out of the door that always left me thinking that somehow it didn’t really feel like $ 600 worth of improvement.  With my CV1 gradually falling apart it seems like the Reverb G2 is the answer to my prayers and arriving at just the right time, something that might actually justify having several hundred pounds out of my bank account.  It might not be wireless, but because of it’s inside out tracking, and 6 meter cable, it means I can finally get out from the front of my cockpit and have room to play other games without risking clobbering it.

For 583 I can understand it doesn't have that huge FOV, the other aspects I think is the HMD bang for your buck

46 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Pre-ordered.

I’d been waiting sooooooo long for something from Oculus, that justified the term “upgrade”, from my original Rift CV1, I didn’t want to get into a cycle of buying the next thing out of the door that always left me thinking that somehow it didn’t really feel like $ 600 worth of improvement.  With my CV1 gradually falling apart it seems like the Reverb G2 is the answer to my prayers and arriving at just the right time, something that might actually justify having several hundred pounds out of my bank account.  It might not be wireless, but because of it’s inside out tracking, and 6 meter cable, it means I can finally get out from the front of my cockpit and have room to play other games without risking clobbering it.

Exactly the same for me. Except that I haven't been waiting for on oculus headset I am actually happy I will finally move away from oculus.

Pre-ordered also, possibly against my better judgement.  :rolleyes:

However, I will definitely board an eastbound commercial airliner and personally go over there to kick his over-stimulated German arse if it proves to be not as good as he has been making it out to be.

Hopefully that will not have to be the case, but we shall see. :unsure:

• Haha 2

I am pretty sure he thinks it was "amazing"... lol.

I am gonna miss that audio jack though.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I don't 100% agree that Artisan is a budget headset -- I got it for $650 Canadian, and then need to add base stations and controllers. It's as expensive as an Index overall I think.

I see, the Artisan is then the "budget" line of Pimax then. I think Pimax prices are a bit out of the market, they should rethink the margins they apply, people are not buying the 8KX right now and Rift-S and Index are out of stock.

In addition, they are comercializing 5 devices (8KX, 8K+, 5Kplus, 5K XR and Artisan) with multiple options, and this is something they can not afford for being a small company.

The elastic band should be forbidden in the current Pimax line (it is first thing you need to change can device arrives) and the confrot kit should be also a default thing.

Unfortunately the Pimax devices are not finished devices out of the box. You need to tinker a bit with mask, with band, with audio, with settings, with tracking, etc, etc. If you like that you will enjoy that, but it is not still ready for mass market. And I really love the Pimax guys.

+1

I like Pimax for pushing the VR world for new inovations. The large FOV, Dynamic Foeveated Rendering and Leap handtracking are the best features of the Pimax univerese.

I wish they would focus more on 1 HMD with a high built quality and comfort instead of all those different HMD´s with different headstraps and audio stuff.

I wish to try an 8Kx, but will not order that expensive piece of hardware if never tested before.

The Reverb Gen2 is for sure for many people a no brainer. If built quality is really improved now, featuring the new better panels and lenses paired with IPD slider is a big step forward and worth an upgrade even for me.  If HP keeps their promise to deliver a greatly built Gen2 then I am sure that this will be the most sold VR HMD in the near future.

Edited by spitfirejoe

5 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

My body is ready, 67 days is a long period to wait 💤

If I was young I could just go drunk for 67 days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, I've seen enough. They need to bring the Pre-Orders for this to Canada. Take my money!

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 1

Couple things I wish were different with the G2.

I wish they had stuck with the head-strap with the adjustment wheel on the back, like the Rift S and original Reverb have.

I wish they had included a 3.5mm audio jack in the headset as well for those of us that prefer earbuds.

Hopefully all the positives will outweigh this for me. Will try using earbuds in my on board Soundblaster on the motherboard.

The only issue I see will be with a certain use case in tracking with WMR, which has been and will be First Person Shooters. Imagine aiming at something and someone is constantly slightly pulling your leg or arm - that's how WMR tracking is like when trying to aim down sight with a weapon held in both hands. 

The Reverb G2 uses WMR tracking as well, and while it has 2 more cameras to the sides to increase their field of view, it's still the same tracking of v2004. And only the 2 forward cameras are used in this case (because of the position of the controllers). And that aim wanders by millimeters for such cases, steadily. Which makes the difference between hit or miss at 20m already. Oculus got that done properly, but WMR can't.

It's the reason why I coupled the Index Controllers with my WMR devices (Odyssey and Reverb Pro v2) in the first place, but you're looking at 2 LHs, 2 Knuckles, 2 Dongles: 300+280+60 = 640 additional Euros for that.

It's irrelevant if you just fly though.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Agreed. I just fly, so hand tracking is completely irrelevant to me. I've never even used the hand controllers with my Reverb v2, they are still in the box untouched.

2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The only issue I see will be with a certain use case in tracking with WMR, which has been and will be First Person Shooters. Imagine aiming at something and someone is constantly slightly pulling your leg or arm - that's how WMR tracking is like when trying to aim down sight with a weapon held in both hands. 

The Reverb G2 uses WMR tracking as well, and while it has 2 more cameras to the sides to increase their field of view, it's still the same tracking of v2004. And only the 2 forward cameras are used in this case (because of the position of the controllers). And that aim wanders by millimeters for such cases, steadily. Which makes the difference between hit or miss at 20m already. Oculus got that done properly, but WMR can't.

It's the reason why I coupled the Index Controllers with my WMR devices (Odyssey and Reverb Pro v2) in the first place, but you're looking at 2 LHs, 2 Knuckles, 2 Dongles: 300+280+60 = 640 additional Euros for that.

It's irrelevant if you just fly though.

The MRTV guy seemed to think highly of the four camera tracking on the Reverb G2.

I will certainly be testing mine in Half Life Alyx and will be able to compare it's hand tracking with that of my Rift S.

I look forward to having another run through with that game when I get the new Reverb G2. I did a complete run through with it using the Rift S, and I know

the Touch controllers did quite well with it.

7 hours ago, dburne said:

The MRTV guy seemed to think highly of the four camera tracking on the Reverb G2.

I will certainly be testing mine in Half Life Alyx and will be able to compare it's hand tracking with that of my Rift S.

I look forward to having another run through with that game when I get the new Reverb G2. I did a complete run through with it using the Rift S, and I know

the Touch controllers did quite well with it.

This time bring the gnome with you, makes things a bit more complicated 

Guys, I just noticed that the links that MRTV hands out to purchase the Reverb G2 are actually affiliate links.

27 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Guys, I just noticed that the links that MRTV hands out to purchase the Reverb G2 are actually affiliate links.

Yes, I did know that…….that´s the way how to make cash...……..hype a product and advertise it to get a piece of the cake. He sounds always like a guy on Shopping TV.

Ich mag den Typ nicht, der quatscht immer so eine gequirlte Scheisse, das man seine Werbevideos echt nicht erträgt, aber komischerweise finden das viele auch noch gut.

48 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

Ich mag den Typ nicht, der quatscht immer so eine gequirlte Scheisse, das man seine Werbevideos echt nicht erträgt, aber komischerweise finden das viele auch noch gut.

Schafe, jo. Nun gut, ich werd's selbst testen sobald es da ist. Werde auch mal Vergleiche für die jetzige Generation schreiben, ich habe ja alle Headsets hier ausgiebig getestet.

All aboard the hype train, choo-choo! Pre-order quickly, but only through affiliate link please ;) :)  

YES; I wait for your review and comparison to the Gen1. Hope to get good news then.

3 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

Yes, I did know that…….that´s the way how to make cash...……..hype a product and advertise it to get a piece of the cake. He sounds always like a guy on Shopping TV.

One guy of my squad who lives in Germant has already preordered said that if the product is a fail, he will go to kick his ass 😂

The streamers in Spain did the same, although they werent able to do a proper review as Sebastian.

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR
  • Like 1

I dont trust his reviews anymore, everything new its amazing and mind blowing.

I will probably get the G2 anyway but not pre order it.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

One guy of my squad who lives in Germant has already preordered said that if the product is a fail, he will go to kick his ass 😂

We need to coordinate this plan so we don't get in each other's way.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

I dont trust his reviews anymore, everything new its amazing and mind blowing.

I will probably get the G2 anyway but not pre order it.

There's a €100+ difference, I'd rather test it and if it sucks I will return it, with bestware it looks like you can have ez returns 

10 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

There's a €100+ difference, I'd rather test it and if it sucks I will return it, with bestware it looks like you can have ez returns 

For that amount is totally worth pre ordering.

In the US pre order is $599 and seems to be the retail price will be $599 so no advantage to pre ordering other than getting it quicker, someone correct me if I am wrong.