HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

UPS truck not very far from my house now.

Question for you Reverb users?

I know I will need WMR for Steam VR, is that all or is there a main version of WMR I will need also?
Guess when it arrives and I plug it in it will direct me to what I need?

Nevermind, found the G2 Installation Guide online.

Ok got WMR for Steam VR installed, truck is a little closer. Now just waiting.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

It.has.arrived!

Very impressive packaging, headset and controllers tucked in nice fabric cloth.

Has an AC Power adapter - should be no power problems.

Ok off to get set up.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 7

I am an idiot. I cant seem to find the jack in the headset the power block plugs into lol.

Duh - never mind, dang thing don't plug into headset plugs into adapter on video cable. Yes I am idiot LOL.

Edited by dburne
18 minutes ago, TheSNAFU said:

Man dburne you are having a good week. Shiny new 3090 AND the G2. You must be in gaming heaven!!

Thanks! Yep should be soon now.

OK she's all plugged in, off to the races now - back soon I hope.

Edited by dburne

OMG guys,

Just trying to get my arms wrapped all around this, with using Windows Mixed Reality Portal, WMR for Steam VR, Steam and Steam VR.

About to pull my hair out really.

I did somehow manage to get it working enough to get into a Quick Mission, did a 4x4 dogfight.

Visuals appear very good. Sweet Spot appears very good. Audio was a little quiet for my tastes.

Performance - struggle to maintain 90 fps and some stuttering when below. May need to move some of my graphics settings

down to accomodate. Guess I could try 60 Hz mode at some point.

But really just getting my arms wrapped around all this wmr and steamvr crap working together has my hands full right now.

And now it is shut down and controllers are just sitting here blinking on and off augh.

Oh and now that I have this stuff installed, my Corsair Icue software for my H150i Pro will not run.

Double augh! That controls my cooler with game profiles.

Not quite as plug and play as the Rift S.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 4

You don't need the controllers once you've gone through the set up process. No need to use Steam. SteamVR will start when you launch the sim.

Launch WMR Portal and move the headset up/down and left/right for it to orient itself. Then minimize WMR and situate yourself in your sim pit, hold the headset up at eye level in front of you. Launch IL2 and while it is loading put the headset on and get ready to fly. That's it.

I can't imagine what the problem is with your cooler going out. That should be controlled by the motherboard bios not Windows.

To access SteamVR settings launch Steam and click on the little VR box in the upper right corner. You'll get a pop-up at the bottom of the screen. Click on the three lines (menu) and select settings. You'll also be able to set Supersample under Video and use the drop down to select WMR. I suggest you begin with 124%. This settings box will also appear when you launch the sim in VR and will remain until you close WMR.

Now that you have WMR installed you'll have a new item in Windows Settings for Mixed Reality. Open it and click Headset Display. Check High level of display, 720p and Best visual quality. Don't change to 60hz as most people report a fisheye effect.

• Upvote 1

OK I just gave 60 Hz mode a try. Did not see any fish eye affect.

Seems my rig will be able to maintain that, at least it did in a 4x4 and looked really good. Only thing is not sure my stomach will be able

to take it on long missions. I would rather be 90 Hz if I could, but will see. I like having all graphics maxed and it is gorgeous.

Yeah I had a look through Steam VR settings and do not see where to enable reprojection?

Oh, and on the audio - quality of the audio is very good, I just like it some louder than it is.

Edited by dburne

Don - I am hesitant to post here because there are many others with a lot more knowledge on WMR/SteamVR.  But I THINK, that you have to use SteamVR Beta to be able to access reprojection settings without having to work directly in the Config file.  This is the Microsoft link I recently used with my G1 that goes through the explanation (reprojection is near the end):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

Edited by Varibraun
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

Don - I am hesitant to post here because there are many others with a lot more knowledge on WMR/SteamVR.  But I THINK, that you have to use SteamVR Beta to be able to access reprojection settings without having to work directly in the Config file.  This is the Microsoft link I recently used with my G1 that goes through the explanation (reprojection is near the end):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

Thanks much will check it out.

The thing I want to see is if I would be better running 90 Hz with Reprojection ( which I still have not figured out), or 60 Hz.

Going to take break for a while and grab a bite to eat.

Frustration level is rising...

Lol plus if I choose 100% resolution in Steam VR for my Reverb, it shows a crazy high number like 3100x3100 or something - crazy.

Manually inputting as close as I can to 2160x2160. Guess that is Steam VR special math lol.

Edited by dburne
1 minute ago, dburne said:

Frustration level is rising...

It took me a while when I first went from the Rift to WMR/Reverb (I freely admit to being tech challenged), but it was ultimately well worth the time figuring it out. 

Hopefully, you will think so too. :salute: 

2 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

It took me a while when I first went from the Rift to WMR/Reverb (I freely admit to being tech challenged), but it was ultimately well worth the time figuring it out. 

Hopefully, you will think so too. :salute: 

Yeah I am sure I will, just a little flustered at the moment.

The image quality in the G2 is phenomenal, just missing the simplicity of the Rift at the moment.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Varibraun said:

Even following those directions I can't find Steam VR beta in the menu anywhere.

Why in the world would they make it so hard to enable reprojection which should be a standard default thing.

How can I opt-in to SteamVR Beta?

From your computer, open the Steam app.

On the left panel, click the drop-down menu and select Tools.

Right-click SteamVR, and then and select Properties.

Go to the Betas tab.

In the Select the beta you would like to opt into drop-down list, select beta - SteamVR Beta Update.

I have no tools menu in that drop down box, nor anywhere I can see.

This is almost getting funny.

Edit: Ok that is it, throwing in the towel for the night.

Maybe my fresh eyes in the morning will see clearer.

Too dang tired and frustrated with all this now.

Edited by dburne

My G2 arrived and I've just gone through the set up procedures. Took a quick flight in 190 air spawn at 1500m on Kuban map. With my G1 this would have been a 90 fps flight no problem. This G2 was struggling to maintain 60 fps. I shut it down and began checking my settings. Nothing had changed until I looked at the super sampling #s. At 100 SS in both General and Video>WMR it shows 3160 X 3092 per eye.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, QB.Gordon200 said:

My G2 arrived and I've just gone through the set up procedures. Took a quick flight in 190 air spawn at 1500m on Kuban map. With my G1 this would have been a 90 fps flight no problem. This G2 was struggling to maintain 60 fps. I shut it down and began checking my settings. Nothing had changed until I looked at the super sampling #s. At 100 SS in both General and Video>WMR it shows 3160 X 3092 per eye.

LOL yep I found that out the hard way also.

Steam VR math baby - who knows. I just input as close to 2160x2160 I could get.

I am throwing in the towel for the night.

Well I finally found how to opt into Steam VR Beta.

Did so - now I get errors and no image in headset, error message says I do not have a supporting GPU.

NOW I am done for the night.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

Finally got SteamVR Beta uninstalled, and regular Steam VR installed again.

For the record - I am not a fan of Steam nor SteamVR.

:wacko:

Pretty sure if all of VR was this complex , the genre would die lol.

Edited by dburne
29 minutes ago, dburne said:

Well I finally found how to opt into Steam VR Beta.

Did so - now I get errors and no image in headset, error message says I do not have a supporting GPU.

NOW I am done for the night.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

Finally got SteamVR Beta uninstalled, and regular Steam VR installed again.

For the record - I am not a fan of Steam nor SteamVR.

:wacko:

Pretty sure if all of VR was this complex , the genre would die lol.

Try this it might help. https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/08/moving-from-oculus-to-reverb/ You only need to opt in to the beta for wmr for steam vr not install steam vr beta. It should fix your problems with the resolution. 

Edited by Stolle
clarification
  • Upvote 1

@Stolle I went from a Reverb G1 to a Reverb G2 today. Did a total reinstall of Steam, SteamVr, WMR Mixed Reality Portal and SteamVR for WMR this afternoon.

I have the same problem as dburne. Super sample values have doubled.

I noticed the SteamVR Settings have changed. Before there was a General page with SS slider and a Video page with SS adjustments for various programs i. e, WMR. Now there is only SS adjustments on the Video page. Could Steam have combined the two and arrived at 200%?

Here's a spreadsheet showing various headsets prior to Reverb G2 - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k/edit#gid=1836884624

Well I tried it, after installing WMR for Steam VR beta, I went to install Steam VR and it automatically installed the beta of it, and crashed the system when trying to run.

monitor was flashing on and off like crazy.

Will start fresh in the morning, hell I may end up uninstalling everything and starting over.

Hey guys, keep trying. Many of us are following your attemps. You are our ice breakers.  😉

Basically you need two apps from Steam:

1. SteamVR : NON Beta

2. WMR for SteamVR: Beta

In terms of performance the G2 should be like G1. Just same resolution, so your performance with the 3090 should be more than OK in 90Hz. You sholdn´t get into reprojection. (In WMR terms is is called Motion Reprojection)

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Upvote 1

I didn’t have any problem.  G2 arrived today, I plugged it in, downloaded the steam WMR program and launched per usual.  Performance seemed the same Or even slightly better than with my index.

I run a 9900ks and 2080ti

Edited by WIS-Redcoat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Performance seemed the same Or even slightly better than with my index.

Congrats!

Do you use Beta/non-Beta for "WMR for SteamVR" and "SteamVR"?

What about FOVs? people say the G2 fov is like the min FOV of Index (max distance from lenses).

Maybe is still early, but which one would you keep?

6 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

I  buy it from you.

I couldn't live with myself if I sent this unit to someone else. It's been a long time since I felt this screwed over.

With Valve (Steam), Microsoft and HP working together I thought this would be the ultimate in non-conflict devices. But, now I don't think they tested the damned thing.

I'm still trying to find a comfortable fit and sweet spot. Extra padding is nice but it feels like I'm a foot from the display.

Working with Steam support at the moment.

3 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

1. SteamVR : NON Beta

2. WMR for SteamVR: Beta

I opted out of SteamVR beta but don't see mention of WMR beta for SteamVR.

100% SS in SteamVR settings now displays 3660 X 3580 and I can get 45 to 60 when I air spawn and don't touch controls or move my head. Blurs and stutters are so bad it is sickening to look down at instruments. Sitting in the lobby fps bounces from low 70s up to 88 or 89.

48 minutes ago, QB.Gordon200 said:

I couldn't live with myself if I sent this unit to someone else. It's been a long time since I felt this screwed over.

With Valve (Steam), Microsoft and HP working together I thought this would be the ultimate in non-conflict devices. But, now I don't think they tested the damned thing.

I'm still trying to find a comfortable fit and sweet spot. Extra padding is nice but it feels like I'm a foot from the display.

Working with Steam support at the moment.

I opted out of SteamVR beta but don't see mention of WMR beta for SteamVR.

100% SS in SteamVR settings now displays 3660 X 3580 and I can get 45 to 60 when I air spawn and don't touch controls or move my head. Blurs and stutters are so bad it is sickening to look down at instruments. Sitting in the lobby fps bounces from low 70s up to 88 or 89.

You need to manually input the resolution as close to 2160x2160 as you can get.

Crazy that Valve was involved with HP on this and the resolution does not match up.

My main thing now is trying to figure out how to set reprojection to on. Don't think I am going to be able to maintain

90 fps with my Ultra graphics settings. I can maintain 60 fps now problem in 60 Hz mode, initial impression is it might be a little

nauseating. Shame they don't have an 80 Hz mode.

I "think" that I am now running WMR for SteamVR Beta and the non-beta of Steam VR. Maybe lol.

Well at least I got all day now today to fiddle/faddle around. I think my Rift S is laughing at me. Rude.

Edited by dburne
30 minutes ago, dburne said:

You need to manually input the resolution as close to 2160x2160 as you can get.

In general you should not just match the panel resolution, you need to exceed it. This is due to the lens correction transformation.

Of course, if you think that 2160p is good enough, then it is.

It's the same thing with the Pimax 8kx, 1.0 SS at normal quality is also 3000p or so, IIRC. But for me 2300p is good enough, and that's what I can afford to meet the 75Hz of the panels.

Edited by coconut

I dropped the SS down to 42% to get close to 2164 X 2164 but still can not get the sim to run above 50 - 60 fps.

26 minutes ago, dburne said:

My main thing now is trying to figure out how to set reprojection to on.

In SteamVR settings click on Video and then Per Application Video Settings. From the drop down menu select WMR for Steam. There you'll see an on/off switch for Motion Smoothing. That's what they call reprojection.

3 minutes ago, QB.Gordon200 said:

I dropped the SS down to 42% to get close to 2164 X 2164 but still can not get the sim to run above 50 - 60 fps.

In SteamVR settings click on Video and then Per Application Video Settings. From the drop down menu select WMR for Steam. There you'll see an on/off switch for Motion Smoothing. That's what they call reprojection.

Much thanks, I will have a look at it here shortly. Need just a little more coffee lol.