c6_lefuneste

how to add rotation angle to check your six in VR

Thanks to @Nibbio and @wju (who made at least half of the work), @Sabrefly and myself there is now a way to rotate your VR PoV left or right by pressing a key, that means using a joystick button with joy2key or other joystick software suite.

It rely on OpenVR advanced settings (free) and driver4VR (not free, but can be tested for free) or FreePie + Razer hydra driver (free), and Steam. So SteamVR mandatory.

No VR controller is needed.

The attached zip file contain also the FreePie script to use. Mapped keys are  at beginnig of the script.

I wrote a guide to explain how to do it, it is attached in this post. The original post is here, but things are a bit burried, so I create this post.

If you are using the snapiew feature of my mod, do not hesitate to try this. I found it far far better, I used now 45° rotation without any graphic glitches.

Some people may complain about this not beeing compliant with "realism". That's not my point of view.

Our VR helmet have some limitations that are against realism:  very low resolution vs real eyeball vision, and limited FoV (even for Pimax), with sometime reduced sweetspot and distorsion on FoV edges.

This is why we need some "cheat" to compensate the current limits, otherwise this is not "realism", this is added difficulties regarding real life. Real pilot never fly with blinders, as I know.
Moreover, I'm more that 50 years old, I'm wearing glasses with progressive lenses, so beeing realist means that I should not flight any kind of war plane.😀

My mod zoom compensate the low resolution, and this allow me to be able to see behind me. With 45° I found it just perfect, I still have to turn a lot my head, then I push the button to really see back. I found the feeling very "natural"

Other may want to use more angle to have the same feature than users with trackIR, but that's personal taste (and also sickness tolerancy, because the more you'll introduce shift with VR display, the more you may be sick).

HowToAddRotationAngleForVRview.zip

Edited by c6_lefuneste
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 5

great post, Lefuneste!

but the whole ordeal is making me laugh.

This is my current list of applications to run IL2 in VR:

- Steam

- SteamVR

- Joy2Key

- Simshaker

- VoiceMeter

- OpenVR

- Driver4VR

😄

- and of course Il2.exe  😄

8 applications to run just to play one friggin' game.. 😄  Eight!!

Edited by Count_de_Money
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to Nibbio, Wju and Lefuneste for working this out. I can now check my six nicely, and this is a great complimentary aid to Lefuneste’s zoom views in Migoto. Yep, playing IL2 now involves steam, steamvr, pi tool, voice attack, Joy2key, sometimes OpenVR to turn off chaperone,  and now Driver4VR. Whew! But still, final result is worth it! 

10 hours ago, Count_de_Money said:

- Steam

- SteamVR

- Joy2Key

- Simshaker

- VoiceMeter

- OpenVR

- Driver4VR

😄

Same for me...Using this tip involve launching 2 more applications : Steam and Driver4VR. And you may add voice recognition software for radio command or teamspeak for online playing.

Do you have a jetseat ? In this case no more need to use voicemeter, there is now a native support in IL2.

Edited by c6_lefuneste
  • Upvote 1

+VoiceAttack

😀

Edited by wju

@c6_lefuneste I followed your guide a couple of days ago and have to say I have no idea how I could ever go back to before, it's really amazing work!  Even though I've mapped an auto snap-back in joy2key, in some ways it's less elegant than your own 20 degree rotation in 3D migoto, having to often re-centre (easy enough, but an extra step nontheless).  But your guide has helped me to finally be confident enough to venture into mutiplayer, and it has already saved me many times!  @wju and @Nibbio also thanks for figuring things out!

16 hours ago, Count_de_Money said:

great post, Lefuneste!

but the whole ordeal is making me laugh.

- Steam

- SteamVR

- Joy2Key

- Simshaker

- VoiceMeter

- OpenVR

- Driver4VR

😄

6 hours ago, c6_lefuneste said:

Same for me...Using this tip involve launching 2 more applications : Steam and Driver4VR. And you may add voice recognition software for radio command or teamspeak for online playing.

Do you have a jetseat ? In this case no more need to use voicemeter, there is now a native support in IL2.

Do you guys have to open Driver4vr manually?  Mine opens automatically when steam VR is launched, and with auto-start ticked I don't even have to touch it. 

I guess I'm fairly lucky with WMR, as all I have to do is:

- joy2key

- hit the Windows Mixed Reality beta shortcut on my desktop, which opens the Mixed Reality Portal, Steam, SteamVR and Driver4vr all automatically

- IL-2

If I pull the trigger on this Jetpad I have my eye on, it'll add an extra step, but not too bad all things considered.

<Raises hand>

New player to IL-2. Played Aces High for many years. A long time P-38 zealot going back to Air Warrior so when I heard they added it here I just HAD to check it out. And it's drop dead gorgeous! So far I only have a few hours flying online but have been getting used to things offline. Saw this thread and thought I'd chime in with the only thing that truely bugs me about the game and that's its literally an exercise checking in much behind the 4-8 line using the Rift S. Hey I spilled a beer over it! This aggression will not stand! Hehe! I have my priorities!

Anyway, to my point. In AH the hat switches are integrated into the VR view system. Just as you guys are describing here without all the extra stuff to configure. I only have to use the left or right hat to extend my view far enough so I'm not knocking beers off the table checking my 6. That gets around the generally 1:1 limits of VR that wasn't an issue with TIR that could be configured to preference. But the thing is if you are using a mouse? You can look all around no problem. TIR same thing. VR? kind of a pain! Literally in a long flying session. So forgive me if I posted to the wrong place but this thread jumped out at me! Any shot the hats could just still be used in combination with VR? Be easier for all involved I'd think.

Oh full disclosure I'm not using steam so there's that.

Salute!

• Like 2

I do not want to bind snap view on my controllers, as that interfere with my other games later. 

Is it possible to bind it on non-existing virtual controller, so no other game will be affected with it?

As I remember, driver4VR is only supporting Vive VR controller emulation.

I do have Vive controller also, so I create two profiles for OpenVR advanced settings : 1 for flight sims with the "grip" mapping for snap view, and another one without mapping for all other applications. I still have to switch from one profile to another regarding what I want to do, but that's better than nothing.

Edit : maybe this should be an alternative for driver4VR  by allowing you to map a virtual XBOX360 controller ?

Edited by c6_lefuneste
  • Like 1

Yeah I've checked out the other threads about this and it seems it's something the consensus of VR pilots would want to have (better FOV). There are guys that feel it's about the realism and that's fine. So those guys don't use their hat switches. Crane around all ya want. I get that there are ways around it and I appreciate you guys that have figured that out! But why have to jump through all these hoops just to get it to work? I got a kick out of the pic of the game controller taped to the stick in the one thread! Good stuff there! But why? Why not simply allow the hat views to be combined with VR in the game? That way everyone is already set up for it. No third party apps need be used. No binding of keys that might interfere with other programs. Can't imagine it'd be that big of a deal to do and it'd be a great benefit to the VR group. Filed under "lose sight, lose the fight" there's too much losing of sight in VR. A decided disadvantage even tho what you can see looks very cool!

It'd also be cool if you could adjust the VR tracking as you could TIR. I get that it would make you sick --but not sitting down as we do in a flight sim. TIR never did.  Heck I'm sure there are some that might try to do that standing up. Be a great YT vid! "My friend tries a flight sim standing up". That'd be pure gold!

• Upvote 3

I find this all such an interesting dichotomy.

It would seem the closer to realism we get the more we want to go back to the old ways (pre-Track IR).

Don't beat me up , just a little observation...

In any event, whilst I myself will not do this - I do look forward to better FOV along with eye tracking at some point in the future. And I don't begrudge anyone using these work arounds, especially as I am just a simple single player guy. 

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 2

How much easier is checking six in the Pimax? (Normal FOV, I think GPUs can't drive the super wide yet).

I'm considering the Artisan, I figure you're getting about 20 degrees extra either side over the Rift S. And actually that's about how far I have Lefuneste's mod rotating me (19 degrees in my setup).

Apparently there's some problem with cracking on the plastic of the Artisan, so I'm holding off until that's all sorted out, but it does look like a potential option for me coming from the Rift S.

I have both Index and Pimax 5k+. While the pimax fov is greater(normal mode) it's distorted by the lens (majority of the extra fov compared to the index is especially in this distortion zone). You can get the feeling of a moving plane in it if it's close but the details are lost. Often that's enough, but hard to determine it's aspect in a big battle especially if you only have a split second.

If I were to buy a new headset today, it would certainly be the Index. 

Going to wait a while longer though and see what happens later in the year.

54 minutes ago, CalaveraLoco said:

I have both Index and Pimax 5k+. While the pimax fov is greater(normal mode) it's distorted by the lens (majority of the extra fov compared to the index is especially in this distortion zone). You can get the feeling of a moving plane in it if it's close but the details are lost. Often that's enough, but hard to determine it's aspect in a big battle especially if you only have a split second.

I do not agree for the distortion.

In what way? I did this test last weekend. In Elite Dangerous looking straight ahead the targeting info panels are already distorted on the index. Switching to pimax I can feel I see more but looking at those targeting panels (eyes moving only) they are just as distorted (I know how to zero in both... damn I have 5 headsets) as it was on the Index but there is more to the sides.

I don't want to start an FOV debate. That non-sweetspot area is still very useful. I just don't claim it's useful for spotting or deducing detailed info.

That said : Maybe face topology is a factor and results may vary from person to person, but I doubt it's that significant.

Edited by CalaveraLoco
Added limits of test.
  • Like 2

Alonzo. I have a Rift S and a Pimax 5k+. Not sure about Artisan, but the increased FOV means I could never go back to the Rift S or any smaller FOV and be happy about it. The Rift S is super comfortable out of the box, but I have my Pimax modded for comfort to perfection now. So, with Driver4vr, checking six is not only easy but actually quite pleasurable. I can do it as easily as I used to with trackir. No strain whatsoever. Also, regarding cracking of the housing. I bought the silicon sleeve, and it works great for protection.

This is my dilemma. I have a Rift S so my FOV isn't all that. Looks fine. Just can't see the rear hemisphere because of it. 

Yeah, I started with a Lenovo, then went to Odyssey+. Was real happy with the Odyssey but always hated the narrow FOV. The Rift S was mostly a buy so that I could have the Oculus environment. But Pimax ... all the fiddling is worth it once that FOV is there.

It seems the latest version of Driver4VR has broken this functionality, if you haven't updated yet DON'T! 

Others, including @c6_lefuneste have confirmed this in a thread I've opened on their forum, so hopefully there will be a fix.

Also, if you have any previous driver4vr exe versions, please do share, as there are non on the official site.

Posted (edited)

Hey, guys. I had an earlier install that is working. Someone needs to test this out to make sure it works for other people. If so, please post here, and I will keep up the link. Also, I  have posted at Driver4VR in the forum, as well as emailed the developer directly about this issue. I am waiting to hear back. It has been a few days already.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p4fl0zvk37qkcj/driver4vr-setup.exe?dl=0

Try this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ivc81xjl5nfu2f/driver4vr-setup 5.2.2.1.exe?dl=0

Edited by SCG_redcloud111

14 hours ago, SCG_redcloud111 said:

Hey, guys. I had an earlier install that is working. Someone needs to test this out to make sure it works for other people. If so, please post here, and I will keep up the link. Also, I  have posted at Driver4VR in the forum, as well as emailed the developer directly about this issue. I am waiting to hear back. It has been a few days already.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p4fl0zvk37qkcj/driver4vr-setup.exe?dl=0

Thanks for uploading this!  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working for me, and I think it still shows what is the latest version (5.2.6.0) upon install, even with settings and registry cleanups.  Did you do anything specail to uninstall?  I was told on their discord that it's not possible to go back to an older version, I can't figure it out...

43 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Driver4vr website is down...

Yeah looks like it, I can't even authenticate after another install.

Posted (edited)

Bad news. I hope that the site will be fixed next week and the dev will take our request into account...This solution is far better than my mod rotation.

Edited by c6_lefuneste

The driver4VR site is up. But I wonder what version you share, it has the same size than the last one. Or maybe this is only an installer downloading the last version from web ?

Lefuneste. I had four of them on my computer. I went ahead and uninstalled again since I can't authenticate and use it and just tested each one. Here is the correct one for sure. I changed the name to reflect what version was working for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ivc81xjl5nfu2f/driver4vr-setup 5.2.2.1.exe?dl=0

I have attached as screenshot showing the version number.

Problem is, I can't authenticate either now, so it won't function. But, once the server is back up, this version has been working for me since the problems started last week.

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I will check tomorrow afternoon. I started to look for another way to set vive controller value. There is something that should work with freepie and razer hydra driver.

I created virtual vive controller that you can drive using freepie. I just need the time to test which razer button is mapper to which vive controller button...

But it is less straighforward than driver4VR to handle both real vive controller (for alyx, by example) and virtual controller, as virtual controllers are always active once the driver is set up...

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dijital_Majik said:

Authentication is wokring now

Yeah, authentication is working for me. I had to change the password to get it to work. Glad the .exe worked for you.

9 hours ago, c6_lefuneste said:

Thanks. I will check tomorrow afternoon. I started to look for another way to set vive controller value. There is something that should work with freepie and razer hydra driver.

I created virtual vive controller that you can drive using freepie. I just need the time to test which razer button is mapper to which vive controller button...

But it is less straighforward than driver4VR to handle both real vive controller (for alyx, by example) and virtual controller, as virtual controllers are always active once the driver is set up...

Hey. Lefuneste, as much as I like Driver4vr, this inconsistency worries me (I hope it's not a COVID issue for the developer). If you work your magic and find an alternative, that would be great. Let me know, and I will help test it.

Edited by SCG_redcloud111

Posted (edited)

I made it working with freepie and hydra drivers. Finally it's easy to switch it off on on from steam, now.

The good thing is that it should be possible to use joystick button in freepie, but I wont have a look at it. I still have to write the howto. The version of driver4VR you posted is also working for me.

Edited by c6_lefuneste
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,
Has anyone set this for HP Reverb? I could use some help, because have issues with the controller mapping ...
Thank you in advance!

On 4/4/2020 at 5:44 PM, c6_lefuneste said:

Bad news. I hope that the site will be fixed next week and the dev will take our request into account...This solution is far better than my mod rotation.

It is, but performance with SteamVR is noticeable worse than with OpenVR for me, so I still use migoto...

19 hours ago, c6_lefuneste said:

I made it working with freepie and hydra drivers. Finally it's easy to switch it off on on from steam, now.

The good thing is that it should be possible to use joystick button in freepie, but I wont have a look at it. I still have to write the howto. The version of driver4VR you posted is also working for me.

This would replace the use of Driver4VR?

Thank you!

So Greg has emailed me saying the issues should be fixed with the latest release.  Haven't tried it yet though.  I think the only reason I'd update at this point is to get rid of the update prompt.

21 hours ago, c6_lefuneste said:

Thanks for working on this, and for the updated pdf.  Always good to have more options, especially since the online authentication problems with D4VR that have been highlighted recently.  Will get around to testing the new method in a few days when I've got time to play around.

6 hours ago, Bully said:

Hi guys,
Has anyone set this for HP Reverb? I could use some help, because have issues with the controller mapping ...
Thank you in advance!

I have.  What are you having trouble with?

Honestly I don't know ... Have done everithing according to the instruction of Lefuneste, have mapped "Z" & "X" keys, have the controlers detected in the Driver4VR, but nothing happend when I press "Z" & "X" in the game ...

10 minutes ago, Bully said:

Honestly I don't know ... Have done everithing according to the instruction of Lefuneste, have mapped "Z" & "X" keys, have the controlers detected in the Driver4VR, but nothing happend when I press "Z" & "X" in the game ...

Which version of Driver4VR are you on?  It's been an issue from version 5.2.6.0, possibly fixed in the latest update.  Try the older version uploaded in the post below:

Posted (edited)

Indeed it was version 5.2.6. Uninstalled and installed the recommended one. Now everything is working fine.
Thank you Majik for your magic !!!  😀

Edited by Bully
  • Like 1

Hello @c6_lefuneste. I've been trying making this work and I faced two problems.

I have Oculus Rift S with Touch controllers. Hydra driver installed but nothing shows up neither on steam vr home or the controllers settings.

In freePie, when running the script it shows the following error. -line 15 . expected an indented block-.

Do I need physical hydras for going that way?

Thank you.