Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

 

It’s funny, I absolutely cannot hear most regional Canadaian accents until the word ‘out’ is spoken. To my ears it’s the only giveaway.

I often wonder what the 'tells' are when I'm speaking. I guess its the same everywhere - 'it's everyone else that has the accent, I'm the one speaking normally!'
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Screen_210302_224722.thumb.jpg.854f066b46a87562444388032353d5e4.jpg

Take-off in Incirlik AB on a secret TARPS-mission across Syria.

 

Screen_210303_000049.thumb.jpg.d7614e7d88cb2aa2449c2bd6b41942e3.jpg

Desert Cat.

 

Screen_210303_000306.thumb.jpg.b213f0275c5270f26d8dbec50b663d7d.jpg

Low over the Westbank.

 

Screen_210303_000353.thumb.jpg.0cce4464356f3729400d6f3268812598.jpg

Seems like they're into growing groceries.

 

Screen_210303_000902.thumb.jpg.eba3688506cf56932bccded944bdc7ab.jpg

Approaching Ramat David AB.

 

Screen_210303_000932.thumb.jpg.240933062ecc1ca4c590df604b223e78.jpg

At 5000ft heading towards Haifa.

 

Screen_210303_000939.thumb.jpg.5dabf3815a71637b2d0f6348f00a668c.jpg

I like the low light.

 

Screen_210303_001527.thumb.jpg.01b83f6b7d758d25e0808fc1a18ca536.jpg

Turning final onto runway 09 at Ramat David.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now that I have both Rising Squall and Serpent's Head campaigns for the Hornet under my belt, I have now begun Serpent's Head 2 campaign for the Hornet.

Looking like it will be a nice challenge for me as well and a nice extension of the original Serpent's Head campaign by picking up where my pilot left off.

 

So nice to finally be flying combat in campaigns and kind of sorta know what I am actually doing now with the Hornet.

This is what it is all about for me, flying single player campaigns in whatever flight sim I happen to be doing at the time.

That is why I so love both the Career and PWCG in IL-2.

 

Edited by dburne
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dburne said:

Well now that I have both Rising Squall and Serpent's Head campaigns for the Hornet under my belt, I have now begun Serpent's Head 2 campaign for the Hornet.

Looking like it will be a nice challenge for me as well and a nice extension of the original Serpent's Head campaign by picking up where my pilot left off.

 

So nice to finally be flying combat in campaigns and kind of sorta know what I am actually doing now with the Hornet.

This is what it is all about for me, flying single player campaigns in whatever flight sim I happen to be doing at the time.

That is why I so love both the Career and PWCG in IL-2.

 

What would you say would be the best campaign to start off in the hornet then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scram77 said:

What would you say would be the best campaign to start off in the hornet then?

 

Of the ones I have done so far I would say Rising Squall.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Started on The Serpents Head 2 Campaign for the Hornet, three missions in.

It picked up right where the first one left off, we had decimated the insurgents and their leader The Snake.  I was assigned to fly to a base to perform in an air show, so I take off from the Stennis and head on out there.

I start my routine with some cuban eights, then all of a sudden there are a couple planes coming in - Russian SU 27's.

They attack the airfield killing several civilians.  I only have guns as my Hornet was stripped for the airshow. I manage to take care of both of them with my guns, and am then ordered back to the Stennis. 

 

Reports are coming in from all around, this was not the only attack by them. And more disturbingly included in the reports is the news The Snake had actually escaped and was not killed in that last mission. Not much rest, orders given to cold start on the Stennis and get airborne  asap for some strikes.

I think I am in for some rough times ahead...

 

Flew another mission, lots of action - I got to use Mavericks, HARMS,  a Mk 83b bomb, and even an AIM 9x to shoot down a plane.

And the great thing I did not have to reference any material to use these weapons- good times!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dburne said:

Started on The Serpents Head 2 Campaign for the Hornet, three missions in.

It picked up right where the first one left off, we had decimated the insurgents and their leader The Snake.  I was assigned to fly to a base to perform in an air show, so I take off from the Stennis and head on out there.

I start my routine with some cuban eights, then all of a sudden there are a couple planes coming in - Russian SU 27's.

They attack the airfield killing several civilians.  I only have guns as my Hornet was stripped for the airshow. I manage to take care of both of them with my guns, and am then ordered back to the Stennis. 

 

Reports are coming in from all around, this was not the only attack by them. And more disturbingly included in the reports is the news The Snake had actually escaped and was not killed in that last mission. Not much rest, orders given to cold start on the Stennis and get airborne  asap for some strikes.

I think I am in for some rough times ahead...

 

Flew another mission, lots of action - I got to use Mavericks, HARMS,  a Mk 83b bomb, and even an AIM 9x to shoot down a plane.

And the great thing I did not have to reference any material to use these weapons- good times!


Blimey! You’re putting me to shame :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dburne said:

Started on The Serpents Head 2 Campaign for the Hornet, three missions in.

It picked up right where the first one left off, we had decimated the insurgents and their leader The Snake.  I was assigned to fly to a base to perform in an air show, so I take off from the Stennis and head on out there.

I start my routine with some cuban eights, then all of a sudden there are a couple planes coming in - Russian SU 27's.

They attack the airfield killing several civilians.  I only have guns as my Hornet was stripped for the airshow. I manage to take care of both of them with my guns, and am then ordered back to the Stennis. 

 

Reading the description of this mission, it reminds me exactly of those missions I've flown in "Strike Commander" over 25! years ago.

Does anyone remember too?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be a very interesting day today.

0700 and we have been called to the flightline on the deck of the Stennis.

Seems we had a chopper go down, and they made a crash landing and survived. However insurgents are closing in on them, and we are tasked with taking off immediately and going to help them out. Armed with some IR guided Mavericks, couple of sidewinders and guns.

Plus there is a heavy mist down low, and mission success also requires a successful trap on the Stennis upon return depending totally on Tacan and ILCS.

This should be a very good test for my skills at this time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mission 4 of Serpents Head 2 was a great success.

Fantastic mission, got to destroy some insurgent trucks headed to the chopper crash site where our guys were waiting to be lifted out.

4 IR guided Mavs took care of the 4 trucks heading in. I then had to fly to Kobuletti to take on some needed fuel along with something else that was classified, in bad weather then return to the Stennis to land on the carrier in a bad mist using ILCS and Tacan. I overflew the first attempt but successfully trapped on the second. The deck was pretty slick.

I loved this mission plus had a surprise thrown in there for good measure which was very cool.

 

Really enjoying this campaign.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy Mission 5 of Serpents Head 2 is going to be a real test of my current abilities:

 

To complete this mission, you will need to be able to
Cold-Start the Aircraft / Take off and land on the
Stennis in overcast poor weather conditions / Receive
“precise” coordinates in the air and form a new way
point. ( Note: for VR users F10 option to reshow
coordinates on screen for an additional two minutes) /
Use AGM154C JSOW Missiles / Use AIM120B air to air
missiles / Use AIM9X air to air missiles / Possibly use
gun in air to air mode / Receive and use Tacan to locate
Stennis and Air to Air Tanker / Possibly carry out an air
to air refuel by day in good conditions / Radio Stennis
on approach / Use ILS landing system in poor overcast
weather conditions whilst also utilising runway heading.

 

Edited by dburne
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mission 6 of Serpents Head 2 was another challenge.

Night mission - 1:00 am at takeoff. Had to fly fast to the combat area, troops were advancing on our guys.

Pretty heavy wind.

I got them with a HARM first to take out a SAM site, then three Mavericks to take care of the advancing troops.

Then had to fly to Kutaisi to get refueled so I could make it back to Stennis - landing and takeoff in heavy cross wind. Then back to Stennis for another challenging carrier trap.

I made it though, whew!

Four more missions to go in this campaign, they are definitely not getting any easier. I am having a blast though!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@dburne I'm proud of myself for completing my first mission requiring a Case 3 recovery, though in the F-14. Fun stuff, at least after the landing 🥵

I practiced it a lot in Instant Action before tackling the mission, for fear of wasting an hour of work in the mission (Earnest Will campaign).

This stuff is all new to me, being a vintage aviator foremost. 3 wire landings are a rare occasion for me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

@dburne I'm proud of myself for completing my first mission requiring a Case 3 recovery, though in the F-14. Fun stuff, at least after the landing 🥵

I practiced it a lot in Instant Action before tackling the mission, for fear of wasting an hour of work in the mission (Earnest Will campaign).

This stuff is all new to me, being a vintage aviator foremost. 3 wire landings are a rare occasion for me.

 

 

Yeah congrats!

I can't tell you how many hours I spent in the Hornet just practicing stuff before I embarked on a campaign.

It was a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When are they due for release. I think those clouds and the Mossie would just about do for me, with the occasional F14 trip.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archie said:

When are they due for release. I think those clouds and the Mossie would just about do for me, with the occasional F14 trip.

 

End of the month, as it stands.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So have finally, after a couple of rather half hearted vague forays, actually learnt the Harrier after having it for 6 months or so. 

 

fdDigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

 

Once the mystery of the SSS switches was unravelled, it actually wasn't as difficult transitioning as my first impressions had suggested.

 

Its a fun plane, and having laser guided rockets on another plane other than the A10 is always a plus!

 

Using IR Mav's to hunt tanks,

 

 

The endless fun of laser guided rockets,

 

 

And genuinely my first attempt at landing on the carrier, I'd had a few goes a plonking it down on big concrete aprons a few times before obviously,

 

 

 

Good fun.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Harrier is my favourite as well. If only we had the sea harrier  :)

 

Landed here yesterday after one try. Training does pay off...

 

image.thumb.png.f4ede2cd26bb62766e5b27e0fa06df87.png

 

 

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been flying the harrier as well, its a neat little plane. Doing a vert landing on the tarawa is just awesome

 

it is possible to use LMAV's against moving targets, i tried this last night and couldnt get it to lock onto a target. 

Edited by Tyberan
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tyberan said:

I've been flying the harrier as well, its a neat little plane. Doing a vert landing on the tarawa is just awesome

 

it is possible to use LMAV's against moving targets, i tried this last night and couldnt get it to lock onto a target. 

 

Yes, I have just tried them to see.

 

 

The biggest problem is getting a decent point track on the target. In the vid above, (you'll have to forgive the few active pauses, as I had quickly changed an existing mission I had and spawned way to close to set everything up properly), I had to re jig my position to get the telegraph poles and cables away from the line of sight to get a good point track.

 

Remember to go to white hot or black hot to get the point track, as its much better than the TV. Once you have the point track, fire laser, SSS depress twice to un soi the Tpod, from the stores page on the other MFD select the LMAV, press uncage to uncage the seeker head to start searching for the the laser, remember to be in air to ground mode, as I did in the above vid when it wouldn't fire, and once its found the laser (will probably have to point the nose at the target to get it in gimbal limits), fire away. 

 

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I got one more mission to go in Serpents Head 2 and I will have completed now my third campaign in the Hornet. Man I have come a long way now and it feels so good.

It is a great campaign for sure,  I would highly recommend it.

I have a feeling though this last mission will be a real nut cruncher...

 

The real question though - will we really get "The Snake" this time?

I got a GBU 16 Laser Guided Bomb that has his name on it.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't been flying in quite a while. Had other distractions and was kinda waiting for Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! in 2.7. But I fired up the Harrier, took a bit to remember what was what, and it was a great flight on the Nevada map. Some people don't like that map but it's my "home map".

 

And ya gotta love those little laser rockets, but they don't do much to main battle tanks.

 

2.7 can't come soon enough. If we're really lucky, we'll see clouds, a Mosquito, and a free PTO map all in short order. :dance:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

 Some people don't like that map but it's my "home map".

 

 

Why not?

I heard they're making some improvements...not sure what.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

 

Why not?

I heard they're making some improvements...not sure what.

 

 


I just find it a little bland. It’s a good map but just not terribly interesting to fly over. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

 

Why not?

 

Hoots answered that one. And that's what I've read in some other places. And I agree in some ways, but for some reason I really enjoy the map. Might have something to to do with the 20,000' concrete runway:biggrin:

 

The Nevada map is, to me, exactly what it states it is, a test range. If I am trying out a new plane or new weapons or system, I head straight to Groom Lake. And when 2.7 comes out and I try out the Clouds! for the first time, it will be there.

 

9 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I heard they're making some improvements...not sure what.

 

 

 

I'd like to see a bit more HD on the textures

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a BFM campaign for the Hornet I have considered getting that takes place in Nevada , still unsure though. I suppose it could be good for my learning process.

I really like carrier ops myself though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

There is a BFM campaign for the Hornet I have considered getting that takes place in Nevada , still unsure though. I suppose it could be good for my learning process.

I really like carrier ops myself though.

 

Do you already have the map?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

The Nevada map

I spent so many hours in a chopper in Las Vegas that I get sentimental about it. 

When Caucasus and Nevada was only option It was great. I still do choppers there. I can land backwards on the sfnix in all choppers just by the gut feeling 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I spent so many hours in a chopper in Las Vegas that I get sentimental about it. 

When Caucasus and Nevada was only option It was great. I still do choppers there. I can land backwards on the sfnix in all choppers just by the gut feeling 

 

Caucasus and Nevada are still there.

;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I spent so many hours in a chopper in Las Vegas that I get sentimental about it. 

When Caucasus and Nevada was only option It was great. I still do choppers there. I can land backwards on the sfnix in all choppers just by the gut feeling 

 

The Nevada map does have a familiarity to it. At least to North Americans. The map feels... non-hostile. Seems it imparts itself more to just flying than flying aggressively. It you see what I'm getting at.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally completed The Serpents Head 2 campaign! It was so awesome, loved every mission!

I would highly recommend both the first and second one for Hornet lovers, they are fantastic.

That last mission was quite the challenge. Done during the night with a little moonlight.

Takeoff from Stennis and first part was taking on some fuel with AAR.

Next step was entering precise coordinates on the fly given to me for the location of the meeting Snake was going to be at. Had a wingman that took out a truck with some equipment, and then I was tasked with taking out The Snake himself with a laser guided bomb and my targeting pod as he was trying to escape in a jeep.

 

Then getting chased unexpectedly by some Migs on trip back, had to divert and fly over a friendly airfield so they could shoot some of them down.

Then back to the Stennis for a nigh time landing with everything lit up like a Christmas Tree to celebrate the victory.

 

Nothing like having to do a successfully carrier trap in the middle of the night for the mission to be successful lemme tell ya!

Got three campaigns under my belt now and have really learned a lot from them. Still more to learn though but am having a blast during the process now.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Question for dcs ww2 fans - how is in flight radio communication in regards in comparison to il2?

Radio comms in general is much better in DCS compared to the current version of IL2, you can interact more with your wingman/flight in DCS than you currently can in IL2.  The drawback though is the radio calls are more aligned with modern day-ish radio procedures instead of WWII era-ish comms. 

 

IL2 needs to bring back the robust comms that they had in 1946, those were great and actually useful.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...