DCS

carve_gybe

10 hours ago, dburne said:

I am much more comfortable in a following role rather than a leader role.

A realistic campaign that had you flying as a dash 2 all or most of the time would increase ‘accessibility’ yes?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

A realistic campaign that had you flying as a dash 2 all or most of the time would increase ‘accessibility’ yes?

Yes for me it would.

• Thanks 1

LuseKofte

By nature, I too like to be wingman. I have no patience to lead in real life. Age and expirience have sadly put me into such possisions for years now, and only made my life harder. I rather do it myself than remind or nag at people.

So when I fly, I simply do not want to lead

• Upvote 2

fiddlinjim

DCS Instant Action

Been flying  Instant Action, The Channel Terrain with WWII fighters recently and found them to be really fun and entertaining.

The action is almost immediate and you are given instructions and visuals as to where things are happening. 

Quite a nice break from the long and detailed campaigns, try them you might just like the game play.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

DCS Instant Action

Been flying  Instant Action, The Channel Terrain with WWII fighters recently and found them to be really fun and entertaining.

The action is almost immediate and you are given instructions and visuals as to where things are happening. 

Quite a nice break from the long and detailed campaigns, try them you might just like the game play.

Interesting - may have to give the Spit another try some day - currently only using DCS for the Hornet.

I like PWCG and Career for my WWII in IL-2.

7 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

By nature, I too like to be wingman. I have no patience to lead in real life. Age and expirience have sadly put me into such possisions for years now, and only made my life harder. I rather do it myself than remind or nag at people.

So when I fly, I simply do not want to lead

I think there’s something to be said for designing campaigns around AI flight leads, on multiple levels. IMO if scripted well, immersion is increased.

I think in the case of the modern environment with the F-18 etc, having an AI flight lead take on the heavy lifting of Nav, tasking, working with controlling agencies etc can benefit the accessibility of a campaign, without giving up anything in the realism department.

• Upvote 4

AndyJWest
31 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I think there’s something to be said for designing campaigns around AI flight leads, on multiple levels. IMO if scripted well, immersion is increased.

I think in the case of the modern environment with the F-18 etc, having an AI flight lead take on the heavy lifting of Nav, tasking, working with controlling agencies etc can benefit the accessibility of a campaign, without giving up anything in the realism department.

I've found the same thing with the stock IL-2 GB mission generator, at least for bomber/ground attack missions. Just following the herd, rather than taking the lead and then constantly worrying whether the AI is going to follow me. The AI can still do dumb things, but when it does, I  at least have the opportunity to stick with it, rather than finding myself under attack all alone. In that context, it is better to be surrounded by idiots. 😉

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I've found the same thing with the stock IL-2 GB mission generator, at least for bomber/ground attack missions. Just following the herd, rather than taking the lead and then constantly worrying whether the AI is going to follow me. The AI can still do dumb things, but when it does, I  at least have the opportunity to stick with it, rather than finding myself under attack all alone. In that context, it is better to be surrounded by idiots. 😉

Yeah when flying PWCG Campaign I always select to not lead the flight if I am assigned that.

Especially helps if flying cold start taxi to runway.

Edited by dburne

Bremspropeller

Which one is the best?

Screen_210213_233916.thumb.jpg.cc29e25cdb4f5c22c40e9e5009588b51.jpg

Screen_210213_234103.thumb.jpg.df1571c1e419025dd67896a94741ecd5.jpg

Screen_210213_234115.thumb.jpg.682a38094a0e5619661499f9fb09d58f.jpg

Screen_210213_234133.thumb.jpg.b999d3ecf8f6e8b6d9d7abb993cd6d63.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screen_210213_234835.thumb.jpg.85e41e27bc1d282ae121c0e9264312c9.jpg

Screen_210213_235708.thumb.jpg.54ddf7459de9543679f2ca95366ddbb0.jpg

"Defender of the Fleet"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

F-22A Raptor MKII 

It would  be great before  with the Eurofighter Typhoon to release planes like F15E Strike Eagle (like F14) , F/A 18 Superhornet , Dassault Raffale , Saab JAS-39E Gripen and finally F-35 A,B & C models . And Drones  X-47B and Neuron in aircraft carrier operations ..... 

The F22A Raptor is far away the best plane superior to all mentioned opponents ; which best challenge could be the Chinese Chengdu J-20 with the new Chinese Aircraft Carrier the Type 3 and both planes carrier operational:

The most realistic DM FM avionics ww2 & virtual 3 belongs to DCS  except MFS2020 So do not forget the incomplete  DM Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 .
DCS is also a kind of Electronic War , with WWV3 modern planes ...

Other Simulators are FM fantasy in most of the planes & avionics .

Edited by RAY-EU
I am not losing my time playing with unrealistic FM fantasy planes

14 hours ago, RAY-EU said:

It would  be great before  with the Eurofighter Typhoon to release planes like F15E Strike Eagle (like F14) , F/A 18 Superhornet , Dassault Raffale , Saab JAS-39E Gripen and finally F-35 A,B & C models . And Dones X-47B and Neuron in aircraft carrier operations .....

The F22A Raptor is far away the best plane superior to all mentioned opponents ; which best challenge could be the Chinese Chengdu J-20 with the new Chinese Aircraft Carrier the Type 3 and both planes carrier operational:

I think the only plane on this list with a chance for release in the next 3-4 years is the Strike Eagle...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RAY-EU said:

and finally F-35 A,B & C models . And Dones X-47B and Neuron in aircraft carrier operations .....

The avionics on both aircraft, even the F-22 let alone the F-35 are far and away classified.

Any "simulation" of these aircraft would be nothing more than a best-guess game. No thanks.

Also, if you think gen 4 aircraft are airborne computers, I imagine the 5th gen platforms take this to a whole new level...again, no thank you.

I won't get going on drones.

• Upvote 1

II/JG17_HerrMurf

But we will drone on about it.........................for about 186 pages.

*see what I did there? :)

• Upvote 3

CanadaOne
11 hours ago, nirvi said:

I think the only plane on this list with a chance for release in the next 3-4 years is the Strike Eagle...

Fortunately all any of us care about is the new clouds. :biggrin:

cloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudscloudsclouds

hero7.jpg

• Like 3

I now have eight missions under my belt in my first campaign for the Hornet - Rising Squall.

Thoroughly enjoying it and it was the perfect first campaign for me based on where I was in my learning process.

Only four missions to go now.

• Upvote 3

Well I am now on Mission 10 in Rising Squall campaign, but I have to go back to school first.

The Slam missile was not in any of the training missions I went through nor in any of the single practice missions.

And apparently at least according to Chuck's notes is the most complicated weapon to learn.

But oh boy does that puppy deliver some serious damage lol.

So back to the books and watching vids for a bit to get my arms wrapped around it then hopefully I can resume soon.

I have made it this far in the campaign and only three missions to go.

Last mission was a challenge, defensive with a bunch of incoming enemy aircraft.

Got to use several AIM 120's in that one.

Bremspropeller

Screen_210219_204227.thumb.jpg.06c60d1ec26ae913b7cb2b6099fc5dd9.jpg

Showed fellow co-aviator Pancake a video of Skyhawks operating from HMAS Melbourne, now he's kinde into the Aussy Navy...

Screen_210219_222412.thumb.jpg.ae08d6845f273ed6e47c8db2c5838fd2.jpg

Operating from a forward road base...

Screen_210219_222516.thumb.jpg.1e0a8096dc7fa21dc3e7df12ddb61f8d.jpg

The tower is keeping an eye on this Fishbed's startup-progress...

Screen_210219_222939.thumb.jpg.0104b7ebf8f35857ce134fbcc7eb3d00.jpg

The fires do mark the boundaries of the operational road-strip. Very conspicious, indeed...

Screen_210219_223039.thumb.jpg.e24228186f77b82d39fbe7e2f756f63a.jpg

No problems for this heavily laden MiG-21.

• Like 2

Mission 10 of Rising Squall is in the books - that HARM missile was great fun. 

Only 2 more missions to go and I will actually have completed my first ever campaign in the Hornet successfully.

This will be a huge accomplishment for me.

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Mission 10 of Rising Squall is in the books - that HARM missile was great fun. 

Only 2 more missions to go and I will actually have completed my first ever campaign in the Hornet successfully.

This will be a huge accomplishment for me.

I tnought it was the SLAM that you had to learn...or was it both?

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

I tnought it was the SLAM that you had to learn...or was it both?

Oh yes my bad, I had learned the HARM much earlier in the campaign, yes it was the SLAM for this mission.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Oh yes my bad, I had learned the HARM much earlier in the campaign, yes it was the SLAM for this mission.

Do you find the HARM fairly easy to learn and deploy?

9 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Do you find the HARM fairly easy to learn and deploy?

In Chuck's notes for that weapon in the campaign, he describes it as the most complex weapon to learn in all of DCS.

I took me lots of reading over and over and watching youtube tutorial on it over and over, but I finally got it. 

Was not as difficult as I initially thought it might be. Using it in Target of Opportunity mode and having a designated waypoint as target point helps.

Then it is just fine tuning the flight of the missile in the last few seconds to hit the target you want. Plus that part is really cool.

Edited by dburne

1 hour ago, dburne said:

In Chuck's notes for that weapon in the campaign, he describes it as the most complex weapon to learn in all of DCS.

I took me lots of reading over and over and watching youtube tutorial on it over and over, but I finally got it. 

Was not as difficult as I initially thought it might be. Using it in Target of Opportunity mode and having a designated waypoint as target point helps.

Then it is just fine tuning the flight of the missile in the last few seconds to hit the target you want. Plus that part is really cool.

To be clear, I said "HARM" not SLAM'ER.  :)

• Like 1

DD_fruitbat

The HARM is very easy to use, its a slightly simplified implementation in the Hornet at the moment,  although its planned i believe,  to have the more realistic implementation as is in the Viper.

Even in the Viper, its still a pretty easy weapon to deploy, once you understand SAMs and there various radars. 

• Thanks 1

AndyJWest

Trying out the free community A-4E mod. I'm using a beta (2.0.0-beta-2) with the newly-added bombing computer gadget here. Not as advanced as modern CCIP/CCRP systems, but better than Kentucky windage, at least for me.

A-4E-1.png

Point the sight at the target, hold down release, and ease back on the stick - it drops at the right time automatically.
A-4E-2.png

Rather sensitive to any roll, which puts the aim off laterally Close, but no cigar. Though I suspect in reality I'd have done serious damage even with a miss this close. Ships don't like big underwater explosions nearby.
A-4E-3.png

Now I've got to land this thing. As with most military jets of its era, throttle response is slow...
A-4E-4.png

... and my approach isn't entirely under control, though I land more or less where I intended...
A-4E-5.png

..or rather, collide with the runway, per approved USN technique. No fancy nose-up aerobraking techniques required. Just don't forget to arm the huge automatic spoilers.
A-4E-6.png

The mod is available here - note that it is a beta. Full release will come later.  https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/releases

A nice video showing how to use the bombing computer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-qi2dTpFw&t=10s

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"The clouds video really makes DCS look pretty. I think it justifies the expense of the horsepower required to run it maxed out at high res"

thus is fired my first shot in the war to obtain permission from Mrs Boo to purchase a new puta..... I envisage the longest campaign of trench warfare is about to ensue given how forcefully the  kitchen brochure was flung at me .Im already regretting the tactical error I made when I packed up all the sim gear last month and allowed her to annex the portion of the living room ive effectively occupied for the past 4 years (including the TV). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOO said:

"The clouds video really makes DCS look pretty. I think it justifies the expense of the horsepower required to run it maxed out at high res"

thus is fired my first shot in the war to obtain permission from Mrs Boo to purchase a new puta..... I envisage the longest campaign of trench warfare is about to ensue given how forcefully the  kitchen brochure was flung at me .Im already regretting the tactical error I made when I packed up all the sim gear last month and allowed her to annex the portion of the living room ive effectively occupied for the past 4 years (including the TV). 

I think we’re all sympathising with you but also shaking our heads at the rookie error of giving up the space...

He says from the corner of the spare room allowed for the PC

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoots said:

I think we’re all sympathising with you but also shaking our heads at the rookie error of giving up the space...

He says from the corner of the spare room allowed for the PC

It was a fit of rage after my courgar mfds bricked.

"right, that is it - enough is enough". Off to the loft I trotted dragging  three hundred weight of throttles, joysticks, rudder pedals, screens, mounts and god knows what else unceremoniously behind me .....as soon as I heard the Jericho Trumpet of the Dyson I knew.......by the time I returned to the living room Nexflix was on the favorites bar and the seating had  been re-arranged......even the tv had been dusted in one of the the most brutal acts of territorial pissing Ive ever seen...

• Haha 3

RedKestrel
30 minutes ago, BOO said:

It was a fit of rage after my courgar mfds bricked.

"right, that is it - enough is enough". Off to the loft I trotted dragging  three hundred weight of throttles, joysticks, rudder pedals, screens, mounts and god knows what else unceremoniously behind me .....as soon as I heard the Jericho Trumpet of the Dyson I knew.......by the time I returned to the living room Nexflix was on the favorites bar and the seating had  been re-arranged......even the tv had been dusted in one of the the most brutal acts of territorial pissing Ive ever seen...

Pictured: BOO, watching Mrs. Boo outmaneuver him.

Now she has your space and has extra strategic depth. You gotta be a little proud. 

• Haha 3

Just finished Mission 11 of my first campaign for the Hornet - Rising Squall.

Started out with an offensive attack on an enemy outpost app 60NM from home base. My flight was tasked with defending the attacking planes. 

Had to intercept a couple of enemy planes and shoot them down.

The ground attack group finished their task successfully and we are all returning to base.

Then we got the message there were enemy aircraft inbound on the base. We had to race back to intercept and had one heck of an air to air battle. Even had four B-52's the enemy insurgents had we had to take down. They were on their way to drop their bombs on our airbase.  Guns worked great on those. I got the last one with guns and seemed he was about to start his run to drop his bombs. I got him probably just in time.

I expended all my ammo just before getting the mission successful message - whew good thing!

Only one mission to go - Mission 12  and my first campaign for the Hornet will be complete. Not much of a briefing and I don't have much in the way of weapons so it should be interesting. Based on what I am seeing on their forum sounds like the latest Open Beta introduced a bug in this mission so I will likely hold off until they get a hotfix out for it.

This has been a good campaign for me especially as a first - I think it certainly helped me get to the next level in my learning process of the Hornet.

This has been quite a long time coming for me and it feels so good now.

• Upvote 1

Bremspropeller

Screen_210223_205807.thumb.jpg.25cad6c6f839d9dd6c09ea476486c944.jpg

When shorthand isn't short enough for the LSO to note-down your grade...

Screen_210223_223538.thumb.jpg.a449b01169db0bd95d07cc8da8b245b3.jpg

Vandy One on the prowl.

Screen_210223_222957.thumb.jpg.94fc00a6b801a44b4b939cec5b793025.jpg

Harpoons on their way to a booze-running destroyer in the port of Sukhumi.

It ate a total of seven Harpoons without sinking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Man this looks like a cool DLC campaign for the Hornet.

Operation Pontus.

I am afraid for me at this time, that one might be a bit above my paygrade. Maybe someday.

Bremspropeller
On 2/22/2021 at 3:28 PM, AndyJWest said:

Trying out the free community A-4E mod. I'm using a beta (2.0.0-beta-2) with the newly-added bombing computer gadget here. Not as advanced as modern CCIP/CCRP systems, but better than Kentucky windage, at least for me.

Just tried to fly a couple of Case I approaches in the Scooter.

Dang! Made the TOMCAT look easy afterwards...

The dive-toss works great, but I also have an issue with mixing in too much unwanted roll during the pull-up.

I just put in a curve for roll-control, which makes it a bit more realistic.

AndyJWest
3 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Just tried to fly a couple of Case I approaches in the Scooter.

Dang! Made the TOMCAT look easy afterwards...

The dive-toss works great, but I also have an issue with mixing in too much unwanted roll during the pull-up.

I just put in a curve for roll-control, which makes it a bit more realistic.

Yeah, I'm two for two so far with A-4E carrier landings. If I don't count the 7 go-arounds before the first one, 🙁 and another for the second. And the fact the the first landing was basically a belly-flop in at a rate of descent (over 1,200 ft/min per TacView) that would probably have collapsed the gear. The second landing wasn't as hard, but was way short, and I was lucky not to wipe out on the stern.

I think that with practice I'll get there, but it certainly isn't easy. No velocity vector means you have to eyeball it, and I don't think the FLOLS is set up anything like right for the aircraft either. And as I noted above, throttle response is slow. 

As for the bombing computer, I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm getting lateral misses due to wind. It probably doesn't compensate for that, and I seem to need a decent wind in the mission to get the thing to safely catapult in the first place. 

I can't seem to get TACAN working, but the navigation computer seems to get me back to the launch spot, or near enough, and the carrier won't have gone far. I've not got radio comms working either, but that's just down to not figuring out how to tune it yet. Should be simple enough.

Great fun, despite the problems, though. And free. 😃

• Like 1

Bremspropeller

I think the airplane makes you try a lot harder, which is good for the overall ball-flying skills.

I usually try to not watch the VV at all (only placing it onto the crotch of the boat to get starboard drift-compensation for the moving carrier). I even click (de-clutter) it away in the F-14.

We haven't gotten the TACAN and radio to work either.

I think the radio is UHF only, which may be the reason why connecting the carrier has been fruitless so far (has always been on VHF).

Geleitzug
13 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Screen_210223_223538.thumb.jpg.a449b01169db0bd95d07cc8da8b245b3.jpg

Vandy One on the prowl.

This one as a plastic model is just on my list to get finished - it's only the decals remaining so far...  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

AndyJWest

Rockets. 152 rockets. You can never have too many rockets...
A-4E-8.png

...or maybe you can. :o: Dropped down to 25 ft before climbing away. A little too close for comfort.

A-4E-7.png

This was with full fuel, which probably wasn't necessary, though I was still under maximum weight for carrier launch, from what I can figure out. Full flaps seem to work better than half, and you definitely need 30kts or so of wind across the deck.

There are JATO controls included in the settings, though JATOs don't seem to be implemented yet, and I don't think that A-4s used them for carrier ops.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Bremspropeller
2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

and I don't think that A-4s used them for carrier ops.

Not on carriers, but they used them out of Chu Lai, in conjunction with SATS and MOREST.

The Skyhawk is such an awesome little plane. I really wish they'd be doing it as a full size module with some customizeable options (like taking off that hump, fitting a bent probe and some other things to play with...).

• Upvote 1

SATS and MOREST, two acronyms I haven't heard since my Strike Fighter Days... we made a fake carrier on the runway for SF Vietnam at Chu Lai... it worked except for the catapult shuttle and wire animation... those were the days...
We are due for a 'New' Korea and Vietnam sim...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Not on carriers, but they used them out of Chu Lai, in conjunction with SATS and MOREST.

The Skyhawk is such an awesome little plane. I really wish they'd be doing it as a full size module with some customizeable options (like taking off that hump, fitting a bent probe and some other things to play with...).

How is it overall...believable?

I love me a Scooter.

4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

This was with full fuel, which probably wasn't necessary, though I was still under maximum weight for carrier launch, from what I can figure out. Full flaps seem to work better than half, and you definitely need 30kts or so of wind across the deck.

There are JATO controls included in the settings, though JATOs don't seem to be implemented yet, and I don't think that A-4s used them for carrier ops.

How do like it?

One of my favorite AC.