sinned

Next Theater Announcement Date

There are two types of movies these days; movies with somewhat developed characters (usually based on an actual person) and action films where everyone is stereotype. BTW, the original had a love story has a backdrop. The movie does seem to cram in a lot; the original movie was long and it only did the battle. This one crams in Pearl Harbor and Doolittle's Raid. 

5 hours ago, [ASOR]Pharoah said:

you're complaining when it goes below 70??

Maybe he`s talking about this game`s engine problems. When more objects are in 10km vicinity of driven aircraft, the game fps dips but the actual fps are nothing like the numbers show.  I can easily tell that cuz with normal 120-170fps on mine, 70fps looks like actual 22fps (60Hz monitor). Everything is still smooth but very slow, as in ingame 1/4 time slow.  As of now, no other game on my pc, be it sim or fpp or rts runs that poorly at 70fps which is normally silky smooth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

Can't think of any movie *anyone* lurking here is more eager to see

the upcoming "1917" has my attention.

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Just another Hollywood love story with a war as it's backdrop.

I heard an advertisement on the radio this morning with the clip: "If anybody wants to back out, now is your chance....We all want to fly sir" 🙄

Edited by Cpt_Cool

1917 ... indeed interesting !

Fury 2014 with Brad Pitt and tank battles was great.

Dunkirk OK.

Mayby not "Saving Private Ryan" stuff, but I hope "Midway" will at least keep me in the theathre-seat for its full ... 138 minutes ! 

BTW I really loved Pearl Harbour for what it was ... and for not only the planes !

Regards,

Stefaan

• Confused 1

Dunkirk was BS imho. At least in the cathegory "airplane scenes".
The spitfire that flies like an hour without engine and even makes kills.....
Riddiculous😂

• Sad 1

I bet it wont be long for next announcement.  
They got to keep momentum going
If it is a continuance from Bodenplatte we will know pretty soon

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte

On 11/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, szelljr said:

...i am ready for download the MIG's templates.:biggrin:.

they already have the Mig-3 template in 4k I believe szelijr.......... LOL, I would love to fly the VF-51 F9F Panther but I'm not going to hold my breath buddy!...

Hoss

Edited by 361st_Hoss

Saving Private Ryan and Dunkirk, IMO, were pretty good movies. They both have very good to excellent cinematography and both had a story to tell and they told it well. There are some historical issues with both, but they were entertaining without relying on CGI to carry the action. Pearl Harbor was a failure on a lot different levels. he love story was boring and predictable and the action was unevenly distributed throughout the movie. Its one redeeming quality is the actual battle. 

I do not mind if there is a backstory to Midway f the character and story we are being told is interesting and relevant. The movie also have to give us a sense of what it happening in the battle and let us know key moments. Based on the reviews thus far, it doesn't sound as though it did that. We'll see. Well, y'all will,\. I am China. I am going to have to wait. 

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

1917 ... indeed interesting !

Fury 2014 with Brad Pitt and tank battles was great.

Dunkirk OK.

Mayby not "Saving Private Ryan" stuff, but I hope "Midway" will at least keep me in the theathre-seat for its full ... 138 minutes ! 

BTW I really loved Pearl Harbour for what it was ... and for not only the planes !

Regards,

Stefaan

SPR: great pictures, story dumb as hell 

fury: great pictures, tactical nonsense hard to ignore for a soldier

dunkirk: interesting approach in aerial action shooting - rest of the movie didn't really grab me...

I think I might like midway...

since i loved band of brothers and liked the Pacific very much, I am looking forward to masters of the air!

Only us combat flight simmers could take a speculation thread on what the next theatre of operations to be, or when it will be announced,  and turn it into a movie review thread.

Bwahaha...

:dance:

And yes I will be going to see this one lol.

@dburne, indeed, you are right.

However, 10 years or so from now we will be able to fully simulate that Midway movie battle ... interactively and in real time on our PCs.

But to get back to the next IL-2 map ... except for PTO many of those above movies were about battles in Western Europe.

There is still so much that can be covered there ... major tank battles, D-Day and bombing runs all over Western Europe ...

FC2 with only Arras could also become much more and all over Europe...

I am also curious about and longing for PTO, but I have so many doubts ... we will know quite soon won t we ?  

Edited by simfan2015

I am personally hoping for PTO, but will gladly be all in on whatever it is.

• Upvote 1

Plenty to play now, so why worry?

Well, unless it would be Korea :russian_ru:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

@dburne, indeed, you are right.

However, 10 years or so from now we will be able to fully simulate that Midway movie battle ... interactively and in real time on our PCs.  

I guess you were not around when such conversations happened 10 years ago, 18 years ago...about what we’d be able to do in 10 years. (In other words now)

PC game/hardware development just hasn’t worked out that way. PC’s get faster (not at the rate they used to) but the software gets more demanding. The monitor resolutions demand more from the GPU...etc.

• Upvote 2

I believe European Air War did things on that scale, but they did have significantly lower graphics than its contemporaries. 

I think if we can parrallelize the AI, that would go a long way towards making massive air battles at our current level of visuals a reality. I mean, the 3990X is coming in a few months. I'd think 64 cores, 128 threads could run quite a number of big planes at once. 

@Gambit 21.

I understand what you mean ... predictions of that kind are baseless.

But ... you just might be amazed about my bg and ... age 🙂 doen t matter though...

In the next 10-15 years parallelization, cloud streaming and may, just maybe even (affordable?) quantum computing is going to/may make the impossible ... feasible.

That is no mere prediction, but more like a fact.

Software is indeed almost the hard problem (like conciousness I guess).

But AI will solve that in the end too.

And now I am going to watch ... Terminator again  🙂

Edited by simfan2015
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I believe European Air War did things on that scale, but they did have significantly lower graphics than its contemporaries. 

European Air War did everything right...still the benchmark in many ways, especially from the immersion standpoint.

Graphics were not significantly lower than other sims...IL2 was released after and bumped things up in that department, and flight modeling, ballistics/damage modeling (at the expense of just about everything else that was important) but most of is went to IL2 because we value those things above all others.

WWII Fighters by Janes had better graphics for aircraft, but that's all it had...steaming turd that one.

European Air War made me feel like I was flying a WWII fighter IN WWII, including the interface, music, those cool briefings with the map on the wall...

Oleg did a lot of great things with IL2 but dropped the standard for immersion below the floor boards... a situation we're still fighting come back from.

• Upvote 6

41 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I guess you were not around when such conversations happened 10 years ago, 18 years ago...about what we’d be able to do in 10 years. (In other words now)

PC game/hardware development just hasn’t worked out that way. PC’s get faster (not at the rate they used to) but the software gets more demanding. The monitor resolutions demand more from the GPU...etc

I guess not all of those predictions were accurate, but still there's a great improvement. Regarding massive air battles and 4 engined aircraft, I'm sure it can be doable in Great Battles within 10 year period unless the dev team abandons the game. I don't see the reason why they would do that. The player base is constantly growing and with all those new updates it will grow even more which will bring more resources to the team allowing them to implement new features and improve the game engine. 

47 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

@Gambit 21.

I understand what you mean ... predictions of that kind are baseless.

But ... you just might be amazed about my bg and ... age 🙂 doen t matter though...

In the next 10-15 years parallelization, cloud streaming and may, just maybe even (affordable?) quantum computing is going to/may make the impossible ... feasible.

That is no mere prediction, but more like a fact.

Software is indeed almost the hard problem (like conciousness I guess).

But AI will solve that in the end too.

And now I am going to watch ... Terminator again  🙂

The hardware we have now is unbelievably powerful, just hardly any of it is used! If only multi-threading was easier for devs to implement. 

A great example of just how powerful our hardware is would be computer applications for, well, computing. The Uni i graduated from had a server for computational fluid dynamics simulations which used an old xenon processor from around 2012. My own rig runs an i7-6770k. Running a CFD sim on the xenon processor meant 100% CPU load on each core if you let it run on all of them; however, running the sims on my own computer meant never more than ~80% load as the software could not keep up with the rate each core was solving equations tossed to it.

Compare that the performance of an i5 and i7 for gaming and little difference will be seen despite the i7 having vastly more raw processing power than the i5 -- again, nothing makes use of all the cores. 

Edited by Kataphrakt
  • Upvote 1

I was also thinking about Google stadia streaming and cloud computing in general. Also the new microsoft fs may be the start of a new kind of flightsim with not only ultra realistic graphics but also the AI and war scenario running on hundreds of servers. At the University everything here is cloud computing. I agree with posters here stating that our personal Workstations may not grow immensely powerful overnight, but probably that is no longer the real issue in the Near future. 

5 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

Lucasarts already did that with "Battlehawks 1942". It was 1989, I think.  😅

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

European Air War made me feel like I was flying a WWII fighter IN WWII, including the interface, music, those cool briefings with the map on the wall...

Oleg did a lot of great things with IL2 but dropped the standard for immersion below the floor boards... a situation we're still fighting come back from.

Yeah, I'm also missing those good old games, which were so immersive. A good military flight sim is not only about properly simulating the planes, as important as it is, but in a way been a "pilot sim", too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

I was also thinking about Google stadia streaming and cloud computing in general

One major problem with that - most likely it'll be subscription based. I don't like the idea of regular monthly payments in order to use the product. It has to be one time payment, like it is now.

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

European Air War did everything right...still the benchmark in many ways, especially from the immersion standpoint.

Graphics were not significantly lower than other sims...IL2 was released after and bumped things up in that department, and flight modeling, ballistics/damage modeling (at the expense of just about everything else that was important) but most of is went to IL2 because we value those things above all others.

WWII Fighters by Janes had better graphics for aircraft, but that's all it had...steaming turd that one.

Really agree, to me IL2 is screaming for more immersion. We got the planes and tech, and some only care about that but for me to really get into it I need the flavor and even the rpg/there's a larger world out there kind of feel. Even some backgrounds for the career mode would be nice. The newspaper is a nice touch, keep going. :)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gretsch_Man said:

Yeah, I'm also missing those good old games, which were so immersive. A good military flight sim is not only about properly simulating the planes, as important as it is, but in a way been a "pilot sim", too.

The “good old games” sucked compared to what we have now.

2 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

The “good old games” sucked compared to what we have now.

In some ways yes, in other ways no.

It's not a binary equation.

• Upvote 2

old times has passed. Customer base are not the same and probably wont be ever again. 
There is not enough money in this to keep it one payment. 
look at GB. They have to produce non stop in order to keep going, they cant rest on work achieved , they must go on for the next one. 
But this time it is harder, they know expectations are set high and many are set on PTO.

I think PTO is too expencive for them at the moment. Sadly I might add. 
I am really afraid its gonna be Korea and the end of ww2

5 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

In some ways yes, in other ways no.

It's not a binary equation.

In all the important ways they are much better now.  If lots of people wanted graphically complex briefings with the commanding officer giving a pre-mission rah rah speech and then turning it over to the  meteorologist, then that’s what we’d have.  But they don’t.  I couldn’t scroll past the EAW briefings fast enough.

Do I wish we had more activity on the ground that I happen to be flying over?  Sure.  But I understand why we don’t.  But there wasn’t any ground activity back in the good old days, either.

8 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

In all the important ways they are much better now.  If lots of people wanted graphically complex briefings with the commanding officer giving a pre-mission rah rah speech and then turning it over to the  meteorologist, then that’s what we’d have.  But they don’t.  I couldn’t scroll past the EAW briefings fast enough.

Do I wish we had more activity on the ground that I happen to be flying over?  Sure.  But I understand why we don’t.  But there wasn’t any ground activity back in the good old days, either.

Agreed - except for the briefing part...that little aspect really got me in a "I'm a pilot in the 1940's" frame of mind.

19 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

There is not enough money in this to keep it one payment. 
look at GB.

I mean when you paid for a particular module - you can play it whenever you want. This is how it is with GB and I hope it stays that way. Time based subscription model sucks.

5 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Agreed - except for the briefing part...that little aspect really got me in a "I'm a pilot in the 1940's" frame of mind.

I think for most people it happens when they’re sitting in the plane and they look over at the P-51/P-47/109/190 next to them.   That’s why there aren’t briefings any more.

3 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I think for most people it happens when they’re sitting in the plane and they look over at the P-51/P-47/109/190 next to them.   That’s why there aren’t briefings any more.

Nah, takes more than that.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

"The Mighty Eighth" had the best one. You could even watch the recon video made above the target during briefing.

2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Nah, takes more than that.

And yet, here we are.  You are almost certainly in the minority.  Otherwise we still have briefings.

Huge immersion breaker now is radio comms. Take 1946 for example (although they are not ideal, but still a huge improvement over GB). Everyone is communicating, asking for assistance, cheering up for a successful kill, giving directions, etc.

• Upvote 3

Storytelling and ambience is important, CFS2 did that very well - also the menu design was very fitting and immersive. CFS2 was always kind of a gold standard for me when it came to this.

• Like 1

Here's a good example of immersive radio comms

• Like 1

If they wanted radio chatter to be realistic it would probably be  indecipherable gibberish with people talking over each other.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

And yet, here we are.  You are almost certainly in the minority.  Otherwise we still have briefings.

I think a good exercise for you would be to learn, here (and I'm guessing in your real life as well) to concede a point once in a while.

Your pathological unwillingness to do so (ever) is...well...pathological.

It reduces your presence here to little more than white noise.