sinned

Next Theater Announcement Date

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

I think a good exercise for you would be to learn, here (and I'm guessing in your real life as well) to concede a point once in a while.

Your pathological unwillingness to do so (ever) is...well...pathological.

Right back at ya!

Except in this case, I don’t have to concede anything.  All available evidence indicates that I’m right.

1 minute ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Except in this case, I don’t have to concede anything.  

..:that’s just gold right there...perfect.

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

..:that’s just gold right there...perfect.

You know what would really make your point.  Find an example of you conceding a point.  Good luck!

In the meantime, don’t get your hopes up for complex briefings.  Those days are gone.

You know what would really make your point.  Find an example of you conceding a point. 

Go for it.

Just now, Gambit21 said:

Go for it.

Me?  I’m in my 50s.  I won’t live long enough to find an example of you conceding a point.

11 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I think for most people it happens when they’re sitting in the plane and they look over at the P-51/P-47/109/190 next to them.   That’s why there aren’t briefings any more.

Well I guess I 100% disagree, without the setup, flavor and immersion it becomes  too clinical for me. It's cold and sterile and I start to lose interest because I don't get invested in the campaign. Mind as well be mindless quick missions over and over. With no "story" it gets boring. And you don't have any analytics on immersion/briefings and rpg'eque elements in sim games. I assume we should remove nationalities as well? Maybe fly planes with no skins... heck we can even get rid of real world location, who cares about immersion right? All tech or no sale? Seems kind of over the top to me, but whatever, someone always has to be the one.

If you want more sales you need more sales, you know what could bring in more sales, more people who get invested in the game beyond the tech flyers.

Edited by AstroCat
  • Upvote 3

Just now, AstroCat said:

Well I guess I 100% disagree, without the setup, flavor and immersion it's too clinical for me. It's cold and sterile and I start to lose interest because I have don't get invented in the campaign. Mine as well be mindless quick missions over and over. With no "story" it gets boring.

Yeah, I get that there are people who want that sort of stuff.  But if you were in the majority we’d still have that stuff.  I think for most people the “story” is actually flying the mission.

5 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

Well I guess I 100% disagree,

Just about everyone does.

4 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Yeah, I get that there are people who want that sort of stuff.  But if you were in the majority we’d still have that stuff.  I think for most people the “story” is actually flying the mission.

You need the sim foundation first absolutely, now they got it. They have the planes, the maps, the backend tech. Now is the time to invest in a bit of immersion,  expand the player base. Bring in some new blood, who can get stoked on flying games, it's such a niche already. With some amazing campaigns you can bring those single players who might not be flying guru's but want to fly ww2 movie style. Then they can get hooked and then later, eventually they can "poo poo" everything too. ;) 

Edited by AstroCat

Just now, Gambit21 said:

Just about everyone does.

Which is why we still have complex briefings...

oh, wait, we don’t...

Which is why we still have complex briefings...

oh, wait, we don’t...

Not yet... single player campaign will hopefully expand along with things like in flight chatter, squadron skins, etc... It all helps.

Just now, AstroCat said:

Not yet... single player campaign will hopefully expand along with things like in flight chatter, squadron skins, etc... It all helps.

I’m sure there are lots of things that will help.   Cinematic briefings are not one of those things.  And they’re not going to stop making planes or maps to add those things.

2 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Yeah, I get that there are people who want that sort of stuff.  But if you were in the majority we’d still have that stuff.  

Sure, similar to your obsessive compulsive  rants about how nobody wants or needs refuel/rearm and how the devs shouldn’t spend time on it. 

• Like 1

I’m sure there are lots of things that will help.   Cinematic briefings are not one of those things.  And they’re not going to stop making planes or maps to add those things.

I'd settle for some graphic backgrounds for now. If you don't have new customers or even create repeat customers there won't be any more planes and maps. Low hanging fruit...

Edited by AstroCat

4 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

With some amazing campaigns you can bring those single players who might not be flying guru's but want to fly ww2 movie style. Then they can get hooked.

‘Do you know why the original BoS didn’t have a campaign?  They found out that hardly anyone actually uses the campaign in RoF.  Adding a campaign might keep the forum relatively quiet, but it isn’t going to bring in new people.

3 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Sure, similar to your obsessive compulsive  rants about how nobody wants or needs refuel/rearm and how the devs shouldn’t spend time on it. 

It appears that none of the realistic MP servers are using it.  

But I’m sure it was time well spent.   🙄

• Haha 1

‘Do you know why the original BoS didn’t have a campaign?  They found out that hardly anyone actually uses the campaign in RoF.  Adding a campaign might keep the forum relatively quiet, but it isn’t going to bring in new people.

Run the Q4 2019 relevant analytics and then let's talk. Different game, different time.

6 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

They found out that hardly anyone actually uses the campaign in RoF..  

Source?

Just now, AstroCat said:

Run the Q4 2019 relevant analytics and then let's talk. Different game, different time.

It's a combat flight sim.  They're not that different.

6 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

It appears that none of the realistic MP servers are using it.  

But I’m sure it was time well spent.   🙄

It’s not all about multiplayer.

I have a project underway that makes good use of it, and others will as well.

• Like 1

How much longer will the juvenile pissing contest going to last? 

I think it is difficult for the developers to add immersive aspects if people are constantly demanding more content. it is the classic tug of war; quality vs. quantity. The series has now four (WWII) different game packs with over 40 planes and there is still a demand for more planes. The development team is geared towards creating realistic models to simulate actual flight. Immersion content is an entirely different type of developer which will cost additional revenue. If you want more immersions, then development will have to produce less content. They could hire more members on the development team, but is that cost effective. BTW, doesn't Pat Wilson's Campaign mode add immersion to the game? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Source?

Jason.  And no, I'm not going through all his old posts to find it.  But if you can think of a good reason why a company with all that user data would do that, I'd love to hear it.

9 minutes ago, IV./JG51-Lanze_vonHaltung said:

How much longer will the juvenile pissing contest going to last? 

I think it is difficult for the developers to add immersive aspects if people are constantly demanding more content. it is the classic tug of war; quality vs. quantity. The series has now four (WWII) different game packs with over 40 planes and there is still a demand for more planes. The development team is geared towards creating realistic models to simulate actual flight. Immersion content is an entirely different type of developer which will cost additional revenue. If you want more immersions, then development will have to produce less content. They could hire more members on the development team, but is that cost effective. BTW, doesn't Pat Wilson's Campaign mode add immersion to the game? 

This wasn’t about BoS really, the initial comment that BSR latched on to and spun over was the old IL2 vs what came directly before it.

Making it about GB isn’t the point, Jason is doing what he can as soon as he can. The point is the hole he was left with to climb out of.

I shouldn’t even have engaged BSR - I know better. I took him off “ignore” for some reason, a mistake I will rectify immediately.

Edited by Gambit21

Jason.  And no, I'm not going through all his old posts to find it.

Well, if you can’t provide any evidence that supports your argument, you’re going to have a bit of a hard time convincing anyone. 

Just now, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Well, if you can’t provide any evidence that supports your argument, you’re going to have a bit of a hard time convincing anyone. 

I don't care.  If you want to believe that most of the people playing SP are flying in campaigns, you go right ahead.  But they're not.  They're playing quick missions.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I shouldn’t even have engaged him.

I took him off ignore for some reason,  a mistake which I will rectify immediately.

Quick question, how do I add someone to the ignore list? Not that I'm picking fights or anything, I just want to filter out his content. It's rather grating to see these things and this user is quite irritating now. I really want to see more relevant content instead of what he pushes out. 

I would appreciate some help on this issue. 

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.

Edited by MarderIV

10 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I don't care.

Great news, now you won’t constantly be complaining about people who want singleplayer content.

Just now, MarderIV said:

Quick question, how do I add someone to the ignore list? Not that I'm picking fights or anything, I just want to filter out his content. It's rather grating to see these things and this user is quite irritating now. I really want to see more relevant content instead of what he pushes out. 

I would appreciate some help on this issue. 

just put your cursor over the persons name and a box will come up. choose 'ignore user'

• Like 1

I think what those "old" games achieved was to make you "feel" more involved. In those days, campaigns appeared to be more dynamic, even if they really weren't.

It's hard to put this words, but it's probably all those little things like briefings etc. that just adds to the atmosphere. 

IL-2 certainly took some steps into the right direction. The pilots bio's and newspapers are all nice touches imho. I just believe that the single-player carrer mode has much more potential.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Great news, now you won’t constantly be complaining about people who want singleplayer content.

I have no idea where you came up with this non sequitur.

hover your mouse over his poster name, panel comes up and at bottom are 3 options, middle one is the vital one, worth 30seconds of anyones time

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the help, folks. That was very much appreciated. I owe you guys, saved a bit of grief. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarderIV said:

Thanks so much for the help, folks. That was very much appreciated. I owe you guys, saved a bit of grief. 

lol

Yeah it’s a quality of life improvement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

If they wanted radio chatter to be realistic it would probably be  indecipherable gibberish with people talking over each other.

Yes.  That is the sort of effect I would be after. 

• Upvote 4

I do play quick missions and missions on Rise of Flight. I mainly do it for training purposes. The Missions in Rise of Flight had a generic take off and landing scenario that was great for learning how to fly the aircraft. I was a little surprise and dismayed that IL2 has nothing like it except for a specific plane. 

I finding it to be a steep learning curve to go from RoF WWI planes to IL2 WWII planes. So, I will be doing quick missions a lot, but i wish there was a way to take off and land for practice. If anyone know of a way to do that, please share. 

Yeah, ignore is your best friend. I had an issue with a user on another forum and ignore was the best way to handle it. Though matter how "right" you are, a pissing contest always annoys others and makes everyone involve look bad. it is always best to say your peace and then move on. 

Edited by IV./JG51-Lanze_vonHaltung
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arthur-A said:

Here's a good example of immersive radio comms

Yup, that and size of the battle (amount of planes in scenery).

I really hope they're going to improve game engine to sustain such battles.

And add good old immersive briefings to it for SP😉.

• Upvote 1

You know, I actually kind of feel that we may be better off with the immersion focused elements, such as the briefings and campaigns handled through things like the Pat Wilson Campaign Generator rather than the core game. 

I do recall using the old 3rd party campaign generator from the original IL-2 and having a blast with it, but I never really got into the later integrated dynamic campaign generator. 

I'm personally happy with the 777 team building the core engine, and leaving enough hooks in for us to put together the rest of the experience, if we so choose. 

4 hours ago, IV./JG51-Lanze_vonHaltung said:

Yeah, ignore is your best friend. I had an issue with a user on another forum and ignore was the best way to handle it. Though matter how "right" you are, a pissing contest always annoys others and makes everyone involve look bad. it is always best to say your peace and then move. 

Ignore is a joke.  Nobody really ignores anybody.  Let's face it, someone might put another on "ignore" to make themselves feel aloof, but they always end up unhiding the comments of their nemesis and reading what the other guy has to say anyway.   Reality check.

• Haha 1

I too like the idea of buying into modules that even Improve in Time like the il-2 and DCS business model allows. But I am afraid many game types will be turned subscription based. Game streaming will indeed mean the start of it all. Ones physical media for game distribution in general, also consoles, are gone the way we pay for games may change too. I hope everything I spent on il-2 and especially DCS and other sim software will be worth something for some time!!!??? 

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

I too like the idea of buying into modules that even Improve in Time like the il-2 and DCS business model allows. But I am afraid many game types will be turned subscription based. Game streaming will indeed mean the start of it all. Ones physical media for game distribution in general, also consoles, are gone the way we pay for games may change too. I hope everything I spent on il-2 and especially DCS and other sim software will be worth something for some time!!!??? 

Modulated games are already here. Paradox is famous for it To their credit, they often add free content with the DLC model they use. The downside is that the base game turns out to be a "framework" rather than a polish game. On the upside, they create great follow up content (they are some real duds though). If you like grand strategy games, and a fan of WWII, Hearts of Iron IV is a great choice. There is a learning curve, but it is nothing that a few tutorials can't help.