sinned

Next Theater Announcement Date

7 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

What age range are they in, though? I’m talking about zoomers.

Most guys I know who are into WWII aviation, including a few family members, friends, guys I go to air shows with etc are 50+.

They don’t know squat about the Eastern Front. In fact I don’t know anyone in my immediate circle who can name 3 Russian WWII fighters. It’s just not what they grew up learning about, watching movies about etc.

If they’re flying a sim it sure isn’t going to be set in Russia.

I would rather fly Eastern Front than no front, but given a choice I’ll spend maybe 15% of my time there. 

• Upvote 5

Hmm I am thinking Dec 7th would be a good date for them to announce the Pacific...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

I remember how excited I got at 11 years old when I found Squad Leader at my local game shop and half of it was dedicated to the Soviet side of the war. T-34s and Su-122s!

Ah... the fond memories. 😮

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Most guys I know who are into WWII aviation, including a few family members, friends, guys I go to air shows with etc are 50+.

They don’t know squat about the Eastern Front. In fact I don’t know anyone in my immediate circle who can name 3 Russian WWII fighters. It’s just not what they grew up learning about, watching movies about etc.

If they’re flying a sim it sure isn’t going to be set in Russia.

I would rather fly Eastern Front than no front, but given a choice I’ll spend maybe 15% of my time there. 

Which is a pitty, because it was the Eastern Front which was the turning point in WW2...

1 minute ago, ami7b5 said:

Which is a pitty, because it was the Eastern Front which was the turning point in WW2...

More than that even - it’s where most of the fighting and dying happened.

Yet not as interesting to us.

I think the turning point of WW2 was Hitler taking command away from the military.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli
  • Upvote 1

I think the turning point was when the Luftwaffe failed to defeat the RAF in 1940, leading to a war on multiple fronts. Hitler was inadequately prepared for a protracted war.

12 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

109 vs....how novel.

;)

Just remember. There is rarely ever balance in history. 😉

Edited by Motherbrain

1 hour ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

I think the turning point of WW2 was Hitler taking command away from the military.

Then you should really stop thinking ;) or at least stop spreading myth of stupid Hitler and genius generals.

'Stupid' or 'Genius' Hitler has nothing to do with the command bottleneck he created, the way his own

idiosyncrasies went on to influence military operations, the way decisions on the ground in Russia had to go over his desk often costing precious time, and the myriad other problems created when the supreme political figure and supreme military commander are one in the same.

Hitler could have been a genius, and his decision would have still hobbled the operation of his armies.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

48 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

il2_invasion_of_poland.jpg

Company would last longer if they just burn money then made some DLCs like this...

• Haha 1

Just now, 77.CountZero said:

Company would last longer if they just burn money then made some DLCs like this...

I know. But still. I can dream. (You can hate.) 😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Well if they want to fly eastern front they've got three titles to choose from already.

4, actually. And I wasn’t saying that we should have another Eastern Front expansion next (I think we should have the Pacific), I was just pointing out that most people my age with an interest in WWII seem to focus on the Eastern Front.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

4, actually. And I wasn’t saying that we should have another Eastern Front expansion next (I think we should have the Pacific), I was just pointing out that most people my age with an interest in WWII seem to focus on the Eastern Front.

Eastern front suit combat sims. 

14 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

Just remember. There is rarely ever balance in history. 😉

And you would see no balance in sides if you transfere that to mp. In fact lw would be alone

5 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

I was just pointing out that most people my age with an interest in WWII seem to focus on the Eastern Front.

And I was pointing out that they have three titles to choose from, so there's nothing stopping them from coming to join us.

6 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

And you would see no balance in sides if you transfere that to mp. In fact lw would be alone

Well, its a good thing we have single player missions and campaigns and aren't all forced to play MP isn't it.

I mean you could add some prototype Polish planes or some leased planes from the British that the Poles never used into the mix for the sake of "balance", of course at the cost of historical accuracy. But then it would just start to look like that other game...

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

And I was pointing out that they have three titles to choose from, so there's nothing stopping them from coming to join us.

Four titles. And I didn’t explicitly mention that because it’s so obvious that it would have been redundant.

7 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

Well, its a good thing we have single player missions and campaigns and aren't all forced to play MP isn't it.

I mean you could add some prototype Polish planes or some leased planes from the British that the Poles never used into the mix for the sake of "balance", of course at the cost of historical accuracy. But then it would just start to look like that other game...

Dont get me wrong I love those polish planes. And I would love to fly them all

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Dont get me wrong I love those polish planes. And I would love to fly them all

I'd love to imagine what we would see if the likes of 1C 777 had a huge AAA budget and staff. So many limitations would be gone.

But as long as this is going to be a niche thing. Its nice to see at least one sim is on the razors edge of profitability and quality like Il-2 is.

I'm careful what I wish for though. If Il-2 becomes "more popular" in the sense most people mean, we'd see the same nonsense in Battlefield 1 and Battlefield V and Warthunder.

Our planes would all fly strait up, we'd have a million planes but with horrible, inaccurate models. Our Fw190s could shoot heat seeking missiles. And sure, we would have maybe some obscure stuff down the line. But the cost wouldn't be worth it. At least not for me.

So I play what if and imagine. It bothers some people and hurts their sensibilities and makes them have this silly worry that if the devs see it they would actually do it and ruin their own silly vision of what the game is. But I do anyway. 😄

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

il2_invasion_of_poland.jpg

All theaters of aviation are most welcome, this one especially as it was where it all started really, the early phase of Hitler's onslaught through Europe.;)

Why is it that some always say a particular module has no place economically or whatever, truth is that to those really interested in all forms of aviation

they matter each as much as another, not more so or to a lesser degree but equally, from Spain to the final push on Germany, even before and after.:thank_you:

Flight simulation be it civil or military or a mix of both will always be a challenge to any company financially or otherwise because of the technology involved

and the niche it occupies, however, it is those with the foresight to take the step forward against the nay sayers who will prevail.

The Eastern front will always be the largest area ever contested in a military struggle, hence the keen interest, as much as anywhere else the doctrines of

warfare and the new technologies to fight them were as much developed in that theater as anywhere else, the sheer size and variety of that area makes it

enthralling, and that is why people will always buy into any game developed there, the old 1946 and this modern iteration carry on that portion of European

history that is so entwined with all the other battles on this vast continent from Spain to that final defeat of the most evil person ever to become a national

leader.

The Pacific area also is interesting but no more so than anywhere else, it had its own battles and aircraft and was itself a place where many turning points in

the history of that time occurred, however, it is of equal importance to all others and to all the men and women who fought and died in each theater so should

be represented if possible but so should they all.

The solution is with the map makers, first of all make a few areas to represent different parts of the world, they do not have to be large or particularly accurate

just representative of the area you want, the old IL-2 did it and to a certain extent Cliffs off Dover has its own online maps or whatever they are called, try first of

all to use the existing aircraft within the simulator and add others as collector types to build a particular theater as and when the opportunity presents itself.

You could cover events in Spain and China by building types such as the SB-2 bomber and I-153 fighter to go with the existing Soviet types, these could be used

for maps we already have as well as giving us the chance for a new theater, Finland any one?  Adding in such as the Hs-123 to German types with the early 109

as a collector and slowly but surely with early versions of P-40 (Flying Tigers anyone?) and you can create a steady expansion to all tastes, not rocket science or

really difficult financially with the participation of the 3rd party builders.  Japan maybe is the difficult part, however, surely there must be enough information available

in English from the captured examples and the notes from pilots who actually flew them, test pilots or any other.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

On 11/15/2019 at 9:11 PM, J28w-Broccoli said:

I would go with a pacific expansion for the simple reason that every idiot knows about the Americans fighting Japan in WW2.  People who might be interested in flight sims and history, but just don't know it yet.  The community around these games is so damn old.  It might be worth extending a branch to the next generation, rather than expecting everyone who might be into this genre be interested in the esoteric details or every niche theatre of operations.  Go with something well known and recognizable to a wide audience, regardless of how dumb that audience may seem to you.

Good point, actual Bf 5 Pacific Theater van help showing then  "Joe's x Jap's" war.

https://youtu.be/LCZLabOywYU?t=184

Pacific now and Korea after. 😀

35 minutes ago, Missionbug said:

The Pacific area also is interesting but no more so than anywhere else, 

From a gameplay perspective, the Pacific would be something very new and exciting. Carrier operations, anti-capital ship strikes, torpedoes, etc.. Not to mention a completely new planeset, rather than more variants of planes we already have.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

From a gameplay perspective, the Pacific would be something very new and exciting. Carrier operations, anti-capital ship strikes, torpedoes, etc.. Not to mention a completely new planeset, rather than more variants of planes we already have.

Agreed, but again I will say no more so than anywhere else, each conflict brings with it specifics to that area be it in technology or the variety of aircraft, ships, guns, tanks and everything else that makes each individual theater interesting in its own way.;)

Would I turn my nose up at buying Pacific, certainly not, maybe not the place I most want to go, however, still equally varied and important as anywhere else and worth my money, which is why I would buy that module, then again I have no problem with Spain, Poland or France because they are all unique in the aircraft and variety of environment and tactics in there own way, so for that reason nowhere should be considered with any lesser importance and off limits to any development team.

8 minutes ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

As much as I love all these aircraft, you and me might be the only ones who would play this expansion. 

That makes three of us to start with.:cool:

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree it would never happen.  Although I have to say that flying the P.11c online in invasion of Poland missions in the original Il-2 was some of the very best fun that I’ve had in MP.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

As much as I love all these aircraft, you and me might be the only ones who would play this expansion. 

They would just have to sell the expansion for $40'000 a pop. That way the three or four of us could cover it. 😉

Set up some kind of payment plan. It'll work out. 😄

• Haha 3