P-51 D Skins

Ouky1991

12 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

How is it going? Are you still working on this?

Just gotta fix some things then I'll upload it along with my other to skins with some fixes.

• Like 1

336th_Ripper*

Hello @onlyforbrian I am still not finished Frenesi since there is still so work to make it 100 % proper and my day job requires me to have my face in front of two computer screens almost all day so as you can imagine I am not always on the computer after work!

Moose is easy to do since it shares much from Frenesi so sure I can do it but I also have Happy Jack’s Go Buggy to complete and Shangri-La.

No time frame.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullets said:

New fav skin! Where did you get the invasion stripes for this template? They  were not on the version I downloaded :( ? 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/54579-p-51d-mustang-4k-skins/page/3/

2 hours ago, thunderboltz said:

Could one of the talented skinners here make one of these Iwo Jima P-51 skins? 

s-l1600.jpg

This one looks interesting. I have some other skins waiting in line so if no one else does this till then, I could try. Aligning all those stripes though 😵

Edited by Ouky1991
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/22/2019 at 5:35 PM, Tomi_099 said:

P-51D 44-63279 HL-Z 'Mr. Ted III

What a coincidence - but this beautiful plane has already been made.

3.jpg.2a600ee892616db844ce48dd5c0cd1db.jpg

A North American P-51 Mustang aircraft (HL-Z, serial number 44-63279) nicknamed "Mr. Ted III", of the 83rd Fighter Squadron, 78th Fighter Group, Duxford. This aircraft was piloted by Colonel Frederick C. Gray, Jr., who from May 1944 was Commanding Officer of the 78th Fighter Group

Reveal hidden contents

HLZ_Color_NH-745x489.jpg.ad0bcaba7720bc64f57cbc8aaf81674e.jpg

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t5svlehbio7kui9/Mr_Ted_III.dds/file

Ted_III_59.jpg

Ted_III_53.jpg

Ted_III_57.jpg

Ted_III_1.jpg

Ted_III_36.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

p-51d-mr-ted-III-44-63279.thumb.jpg.5bfd221dbe18b25594fdc1782b7072cc.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

HLZ_Mr_Ted-742x505.jpg.8796344f43a366acea80c63c908c128f.jpg

Ted_III_3.jpg

Ted_III_2.jpg

Great Skin, would you consider doing Twilight Tear?

7 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Cripes A Mighty 3rd with updates to Cripes A Mighty and Hun Hunter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b4kgq3n3vpi59w/P-51 Skins.zip?dl=0

MlIPKmi.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

XsAgpsO.jpg

lghfJsT.jpg

Looks great. Wonder if his final paintscheme would be up for consideration? 

https://sites.google.com/site/paperjerry/mustang16

2 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Already did it, hit the spoiler. It's included in the skin files.

Noted..... would it be possible to add the striping to the antenna? 

P-51D #44-14467 'Mary Mac' flown by Capt Gordon H. McDaniel, 318th FS, 325th FG, 15th Air Force. Italy, March 1945. Capt McDaniel downed 5 FW-190s in a single engagement to become an "Ace in a day".

**UPDATED** Fixed the position of the "40" to be closer to the roundel. Increased reflectiveness of the bare metal.

nu9sazf.jpg

mFufRmA.jpg

CCvWOQo.jpg

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hP8_Qg8N4F-9PMKQNBN6NgrxZpQtiXoe

Edited by thepiespy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Gorgeous!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Years ago my father started building a 2/3 scale P-51D in his basement. His plan was to paint it 'Big Beautiful Doll'. He had already built an Emaurade, won best home built plane in Canada in mid 70's (EAA/FAA). I was 11yrs old when he finished his 50hrs solo and when he took me up we did aerobatics (rolls/loops). I almost puked but held it in. 😉  

He died before finishing the P-51. I'll miss miss him but Ouky1991 's skin will help me celebrate his life.

45 minutes ago, thepiespy said:

P-51D #44-14467 'Mary Mac' flown by Capt Gordon H. McDaniel, 318th FS, 325th FG, 15th Air Force. Italy, March 1945. Capt McDaniel downed 5 FW-190s in a single engagement to become an "Ace in a day".

axhhm9n.jpg

LASyilV.jpg

eBiICvc.jpg

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hP8_Qg8N4F-9PMKQNBN6NgrxZpQtiXoe

Thanks for a nice skin, but a footnote to his "Ace in a Day" He did it on March 14th, 1945. By that time, most German experienced pilots were already dead, and out of desperation, the Germans were throwing kids into the air with zero flying time and had no clue what they were doing. I doubt he would have achieved that in 1942-43

1 hour ago, onlyforbrian said:

Thanks for a nice skin, but a footnote to his "Ace in a Day" He did it on March 14th, 1945. By that time, most German experienced pilots were already dead, and out of desperation, the Germans were throwing kids into the air with zero flying time and had no clue what they were doing. I doubt he would have achieved that in 1942-43

I'm simply giving a quick background on the source of the skin, neither you nor I know the level of experience of those pilots.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, thepiespy said:

I'm simply giving a quick background on the source of the skin, neither you nor I know the level of experience of those pilots.

seriously? Nuff said...you sound like a Democrat lol

13 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

Firstly thanks for attempting this, very much appreciate it. 

Hopefully this won't be too hard to rectify but the Checkertail pattern squares are currently too small. 

Looking at the run of black squares from top of the fuselage to rear if the tail is 7 full squares and a partial square. Yours has 8 and a partial square. 

The elevator has a line of 4 black squares on each side, yours has 6. 

Here is a great reference link:

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/559539-Released-16-x-325thFg-Ponies-(56k-beware-16-pics)

Lastly is it possible to have a more polished metal version? 

Great work, hope it is possible to tweak the skin. Thanks, MP

25 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Firstly thanks for attempting this, very much appreciate it. 

Hopefully this won't be too hard to rectify but the Checkertail pattern squares are currently too small. 

Looking at the run of black squares from top of the fuselage to rear if the tail is 7 full squares and a partial square. Yours has 8 and a partial square. 

The elevator has a line of 4 black squares on each side, yours has 6. 

Here is a great reference link:

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/559539-Released-16-x-325thFg-Ponies-(56k-beware-16-pics)

Lastly is it possible to have a more polished metal version? 

Great work, hope it is possible to tweak the skin. Thanks, MP

Some differences in angle and position of the squares may distort the view, I tried to use the leading edge of the vertical stab for reference to scale (3 black and 3 yellow squares) I try not to use artist or game renders as a source, as those artists also are extrapolating what they can from limited sources. (I enjoy how that artist also bemoaned the tediousness of lining up the pattern on the P51s complex control surfaces)

Regarding the reflectivity of the metal, I use reshade and I suspect it may be messing with it in my screenshots. I'm using the default alpha values that IDCP provided with the template. I recommend you download it and try it on your end ingame.

58 minutes ago, thepiespy said:

Some differences in angle and position of the squares may distort the view, I tried to use the leading edge of the vertical stab for reference to scale (3 black and 3 yellow squares) I try not to use artist or game renders as a source, as those artists also are extrapolating what they can from limited sources. (I enjoy how that artist also bemoaned the tediousness of lining up the pattern on the P51s complex control surfaces)

Regarding the reflectivity of the metal, I use reshade and I suspect it may be messing with it in my screenshots. I'm using the default alpha values that IDCP provided with the template. I recommend you download it and try it on your end ingame.

I was working of this image from WW2 which shows 7 and a bit checks? 

scan0013.jpg.809fd8c508f66dc21bf3dade6d781e44.jpg

Here's a better image of the tail markings, modern day and WW2 :)

FB_IMG_1572028353693.thumb.jpg.d7ec01360f184e9ee7d1b1bc81e70d3e.jpgFB_IMG_1572028390338.thumb.jpg.f42294718234a2c7b741c4d4b3d4b252.jpg

15 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

How are you so sure of this and why doubt he could do it if in 42-43? The fact is he still shot down 5 aircraft in a single day which is no easy feat. George Preddy achieved ace in a day in 44, was he fighting inferior pilots? How about Jefferson DeBlanc who shot down 5 Japanese aircraft in a F4F Wildcat in early 43 and won the Medal of Honor for the action?

You do a disservice to the man by claiming the only reason he was able to become ace in a day was inferior pilots. 

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Legioneod said:

How are you so sure of this and why doubt he could do it if in 42-43? The fact is he still shot down 5 aircraft in a single day which is no easy feat. George Preddy achieved ace in a day in 44, was he fighting inferior pilots? How about Jefferson DeBlanc who shot down 5 Japanese aircraft in a F4F Wildcat in early 43 and won the Medal of Honor for the action?

You do a disservice to the man by claiming the only reason he was able to become ace in a day was inferior pilots. 

just stating facts..US pilots also skewed their kills. They counted destroying parked planes as a kill. I'm more impressed by guys like Barkhorn, Galland, Rall, and Hartmann... he was once alone surrounded by 6 P51s and managed to survive,  

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

just stating facts..US pilots also skewed their kills. They counted destroying parked planes as a kill. 

Facts? German pilots were no more superior than American or any other allied pilots. I've never seen any American with ground kills counted as an air kill, in all accounts I've seen the kills are seperated.

To say that an American pilot couldn't have achieved ace in a day against trained German pilots is foolish and shows a level of bias. Fact is you have no clue on the skill level of the pilots that McDaniel shot down that day, so to make assumptions and ridiculous claims on an unknown thing is foolish.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1

Hello OUKY

Many thanks for these now lovely P-51s. Your " operational" natural metal "shine" correction is mostly welcome, and I must say that I was hoping this would happen. It should be the norm. Now, If you could still lessen the shine on the wings I assume it would be perfect. (My humble perception of the reality)

Do not forget that these wings were painted, so prone to wheather. You could  keep the actual shine on the outboard part of the wing and have a semi gloss or dull  inner part.

It looks now weird that we can still read the reflection of the nose art on the very well wheathered inner wing !

But this is , of course , just my 2 cents as I AM NOT A SKINNER, and as I would be very embarrassed if I had to do myself what I am asking you , technically possible or not....

Congratulations to the Artist and to ICDP....

Madcop :fly: 

4 hours ago, Madcop said:

Hello OUKY

Many thanks for these now lovely P-51s. Your " operational" natural metal "shine" correction is mostly welcome, and I must say that I was hoping this would happen. It should be the norm. Now, If you could still lessen the shine on the wings I assume it would be perfect. (My humble perception of the reality)

Do not forget that these wings were painted, so prone to wheather. You could  keep the actual shine on the outboard part of the wing and have a semi gloss or dull  inner part.

It looks now weird that we can still read the reflection of the nose art on the very well wheathered inner wing !

But this is , of course , just my 2 cents as I AM NOT A SKINNER, and as I would be very embarrassed if I had to do myself what I am asking you , technically possible or not....

Congratulations to the Artist and to ICDP....

Madcop :fly: 

I wanted to change the lapha layer on the rest of the 78th anyway, they are way to shiny. I just don't have time right now, so probably tomorrow. But I'm not gonna do anything crazy with wings, I like how it is now on the last couple skins I made, even if that means they are not gonna look realistic. I'm not trying to do exact copies of those planes, I'm not even using correct colors most of the time. I just make the skin look how I like them to look, that's all.

Thanks for the feedback though. Even if I choose to ignore it this time, I welcome any suggestions when it comes mistakes I made or tweaks I could do to make them look better.

336th_Ripper*
3 minutes ago, Madcop said:

Hi BSS

When downloaded I can't extract because the archiv is corrupt.

Can you check this please ?

Nice work.

Thanks.

standby I see that!

5 minutes ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

standby I see that!

Fixed

On 10/25/2019 at 5:33 PM, Legioneod said:

Facts? German pilots were no more superior than American or any other allied pilots. I've never seen any American with ground kills counted as an air kill, in all accounts I've seen the kills are seperated.

To say that an American pilot couldn't have achieved ace in a day against trained German pilots is foolish and shows a level of bias. Fact is you have no clue on the skill level of the pilots that McDaniel shot down that day, so to make assumptions and ridiculous claims on an unknown thing is foolish.

Take note of 3rd paragraph, and the list speaks for itself...no bias  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_flying_aces

Edited by onlyforbrian
correction

4 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

Take note of 3rd paragraph, and the list speaks for itself...no bias  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_flying_aces

I'm not gonna get into this on discussion of this thread but have you ever sat down and analysed some of the pilots and their kills? I have and the results are very interesting and you can immediately see why the German pilots got extremely high scores compared to everyone else. Take the time one day and go through the pilot accounts, it's an eye opener, numbers don't tell the whole story and should not be the only judge when t comes to who is a "good" or "skilled" pilot. 

German pilots aren't supermen, they just had situations that helped them get extremely high scores.

I'll start a topic in the free section of the forums if you'd like to continue this discussion in a civilized manner.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I'm not gonna get into this on discussion of this thread but have you ever sat down and analysed some of the pilots and their kills? I have and the results are very interesting and you can immediately see why the German pilots got extremely high scores compared to everyone else. Take the time one day and go through the pilot accounts, it's an eye opener, numbers don't tell the whole story and should not be the only judge when t comes to who is a "good" or "skilled" pilot. 

German pilots aren't supermen, they just had situations that helped them get extremely high scores.

I'll start a topic in the free section of the forums if you'd like to continue this discussion in a civilized manner.

I am enjoying the discussion, and thanks for a great skin

2 hours ago, Ouky1991 said:

All 5 skins of 78th FG have been edited (changed alpha layer to less shiny). I've also created new page with all of my BoBP skins here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/55389-oukys-bodenplatte-skins/

The links work both here and on the new page.

I like the setup on your download page. Very slick.

• Thanks 1

8ELT_Grzesiek
3 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

I only get an emtpy rar file when downloaing.

I tried 4 times.

Could you please check?

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Hello, thank you for recognition :)
I just checked the link and it works, you just need to unpack it with 7zip. If something still goes wrong please let me know.
                                                  Regards, Grzesiek.

On 10/23/2019 at 1:11 AM, onlyforbrian said:

I just found a cool link to some of Tom Weiss's excellent P51D skins including a clean and dirty version of Petie 2nd http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/category/752-p-51d-15-skins/ Here's a screenshot (bottom of post, I hate merged posts)

Have you finished this? Link please

Have you finished this? Link please and could you please do "moose" if you take requests.

rogerfs.jpg

petie.jpg

Yep, https://www.mediafire.com/file/hueu7o5c1y5x6m3/Dallas_Doll_414_495_A_V1-_B_V1-_C_v1.7z/file
Although the shine, based on some modern pictures, seems to be wrong. But I can't find any non-cloudy picture of the plane to fix it.