Jump to content

P-51 D Skins


Ouky1991
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

Let’s run a beauty pageant. Which is the prettiest Ridge Rumner 😀

I can see where that might ruffle some feathers. 😉 I like to compare skins from different artists. I've learned a lot of great ideas through the years seeing how different skinners create their skins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

336th_Ripper*
1 minute ago, Rjel said:

I can see where that might ruffle some feathers. 😉 I like to compare skins from different artists. I've learned a lot of great ideas through the years seeing how different skinners create their skins. 

I really was just kidding🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there some secret place where the "Ridge Runner" skins are kept?

 

Because i STILL cannot find any when searching.

 

If there are other skins stored at the same location I'd like to see them to see whats done and what isn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Bo_Nidle said:

Is there some secret place where the "Ridge Runner" skins are kept?

 

Because i STILL cannot find any when searching.

 

If there are other skins stored at the same location I'd like to see them to see whats done and what isn't.

Hi ,i have here:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Bo_Nidle said:

Its been a long time since I last did a skin for "IL2", about ten years I think, so I decided to have a go at this new fangled method.

 

I thought I'd cut my dentures on the P-51D and as a fan of the "Fourth" I have gone for "Ridge Runner III" flown by Pierce McKennon.

 

A bit of a learning curve but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

 

Although the quest for the realistic natural metal finish continues as always.

 

I'll post it for download soon....the question is: Where?

 

Edit: The answer is Lockon files...

 

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3729-ridge-runner-iii-4thfg-335thfs-1945/

 

 

RRunner3.jpg

Blimey, it certainly has been a long time but it's great to see you around again. Really looking forward to you figuring it all out and posting some great skins once again :)

 

One day I hope you consider redoing a collection like these that you did for the original IL2 👍

 

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/559539-Released-16-x-325thFg-Ponies-(56k-beware-16-pics)

 

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that.

 

This community definitely needs a "User Files" section like DCS, or a fan site like the old il2skins.com.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bo_Nidle said:

Thanks for that.

 

This community definitely needs a "User Files" section like DCS, or a fan site like the old il2skins.com.

Yeah, il2skins was a fantastic site. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Blimey, it certainly has been aong time but it's great to see you around again. Really looking forward to you figuring it all out and posting some great skins once again :)

 

One day I hope you consider redoing a collection like these that you did for the original IL2 👍

 

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/559539-Released-16-x-325thFg-Ponies-(56k-beware-16-pics)

 

Hey up MP,  nots sure my "tennis elbow"could take the strain of a pack like that again.

 

 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanx so much BO,  great skin !  Everytime i fly a p51 in good ol' 1946, she wear one of yours great skins, definately BEST '51 skins EVER!!!

Hope to see others masterpieces to come!

 

🛩️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been so busy lately that I haven't even been able to fly! Glad that there are so many P-51 skins out there. Excellent work! 

Specially because it is a nightmare to line them up(but, not as nightmarish as some 3rd party planes in P3D - Suffice to say, one took me a week to do it).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

336th_Ripper*
23 hours ago, Bo_Nidle said:

Thanks for that.

 

This community definitely needs a "User Files" section like DCS, or a fan site like the old il2skins.com.

This is the reason I started my thread directed to the Developpers and Forum Admins. We will see if anything constructive comes out of it!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

P-51D #44-63272 'Bad Angel' flown by Capt Louis Curdes, 4th FS, 3rd Air Commando Group. Philippines, February 1945. Curdes started the war flying the P-38G (named 'Good Devil') in North Africa and Italy where he scored victories against several German and one Italian aircraft. After being shot down in summer 1943, he was captured, escaped, then traveled south for months back to allied lines. Curdes then transferred to the Pacific theater in 1945, where he flew the P-51. After scoring a single victory against an IJA Ki-46, his final "victory" was indeed a friendly C-47 that he intentionally downed (by firing on both engines) to prevent it from erroneously landing at Japanese airfield. The story of his future wife being on board is a myth, although he did in fact previously date one of the nurses on board. By the end of the war, Curdes had one of the most interesting records, downing aircraft from Germany, Italy, and Japan (plus one American).

 

Spoiler

QMuYzXW.jpg

Spoiler

wTn3z7Y.jpg

Spoiler

r4uHwMK.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jj-ClMq7HawFg5M-rSZxvEDjWjFQ2NNy

  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mustang Mk IV, KH661, flown by Flying Officer P. Bremner. This is a US P-51D, s/n 44-11188, fitted with a cuffed Hamilton Standard prop, Inglewood style canopy, and shrouded exhaust. This aircraft is finished in the correct MAP colours of Dark Green and Ocean Grey with Medium Sea Grey undersurfaces. The spinner, antiglare panel and canopy frames are yellow. The aircraft is well kept and shows few signs of wear.

 

Note that I based this mostly on the original KH661, not the current replica that you can find pictures of on Google. Still had to resort to that replica and imagination for some details, though. This is my first ever skin, so it's bound to have a couple issues, I'll take all feedback and update the thing if needed!

 

RenderKH661.thumb.png.6038c5bbd11b0382c667151a78fc9b21.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rzl3f2QqbprotOTBeh5HIq_zaOgEanEb/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Quinte
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's taken far too long to complete but this is my first P-51 skin. I've already mentioned it in a previous thread. I'm pleased with how it turned out. It's weathered the way I like it, others may disagree. Took forever to line up the D-Day stripes and ETO bands. If any glaring errors are found, I'd appreciate the heads up. I'm planning on doing the later version of this plane when it had the white rudder and red canopy rails in October 1944. Cudos to ICDP for the template.

 

There isn't much more to say about Don Blakeslee that hasn't been said before. If anyone doesn't know of this man, take the time to do some reading about him and his leadership, accomplishments and abilities. An incredible man.

 

2019_11_9__21_11_51

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hb6b4rvzhoc6xhr/4thFG_P51D5NA_WD-C_Blakeslee.7z/file

Edited by Rjel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

336th_Ripper*

@RjelI like it, when you mentioned above you spent a long time lining  up the invasion stripes, did you mean when you imported them from ICDP into your template? If so, I made this quick tutorial on how to align them when importing. Also I knw the template has half a pixel of misalignment from the upper/lower nose cowling, just check again, but it seems that might still be one pixel off (not that it really shows). Great job !

 

Spoiler

 

 

 

Edited by BSS_Ripper*
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

@RjelI like it, when you mentioned above you spent a long time lining  up the invasion stripes, did you mean when you imported them from ICDP into your template? If so, I made this quick tutorial on how to align them when importing. Also I knw the template has half a pixel of misalignment from the upper/lower nose cowling, just check again, but it seems that might still be one pixel off (not that it really shows). Great job !

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

 

I didn't see ICDP's release of the additional layers with the D-Day stripes and ETO bands until after I spent hours doing my own ETO bands. What a PITA. Even using his D-Day stripes was still a lot of trial and error as Blakeslee's plane had them aligned a little bit differently than the templates does. This isn't the best laid out template I've ever worked with. How I wish there was a way to imported the Sim's 3D viewer into Photoshop and paint the planes as a complete airframe. I'd pay extra for something like that. 
 

Thanks for the compliment.

 

edit: I looked at the skin in game. It's hard to tell as I can't get close enough to tell. I'll look tomorrow in the 3D viewer to check. 

Edited by Rjel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

336th_Ripper*

@RjelAhh understood Rjel. Yes this template is very painful!  Look at my progress on with Happy Jack's Go Buggy!  I made comments on the challenges thus far!  I am working on the Camo at the moment!

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

@RjelAhh understood Rjel. Yes this template is very painful!  Look at my progress on with Happy Jack's Go Buggy!  I made comments on the challenges thus far!  I am working on the Camo at the moment!

 

 

 

 

 

13 minutes ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

@RjelAhh understood Rjel. Yes this template is very painful!  Look at my progress on with Happy Jack's Go Buggy!  I made comments on the challenges thus far!  I am working on the Camo at the moment!

 

 

Better to take your time than just rush something out that's half a$$ed. I get frustrated and have to walk away for a day or two when I run into a problem area on a template that I can't figure out.Then the solutions comes to me after I mull them over. Lots of helpful people here to help too.

 

  • Drag files here to attach, or choose files...
    Accepted file types jpg, png, zip, rar, txt, 7zip, gif, jpeg · Max total size 5MB
  •  
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Rjel said:

It's taken far too long to complete but this is my first P-51 skin. I've already mentioned it in a previous thread. I'm pleased with how it turned out. It's weathered the way I like it, others may disagree. Took forever to line up the D-Day stripes and ETO bands. If any glaring errors are found, I'd appreciate the heads up. I'm planning on doing the later version of this plane when it had the white rudder and red canopy rails in October 1944. Cudos to ICDP for the template.

 

There isn't much more to say about Don Blakeslee that hasn't been said before. If anyone doesn't know of this man, take the time to do some reading about him and his leadership, accomplishments and abilities. An incredible man.

 

2019_11_9__21_11_51

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hb6b4rvzhoc6xhr/4thFG_P51D5NA_WD-C_Blakeslee.7z/file

This is a beautiful, classic Mustang skin.  Many thanks!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, smink1701 said:

This is a beautiful, classic Mustang skin.  Many thanks!!!

Thanks smink1701.

 

Here's the P-51 with the late October paint scheme with the red canopy rail and white with red outlined rudder while still retaining the original 12 inch red nose band.  While the scanned picture above doesn't show it with the the red outlined rudder, according to the book (where this picture appeared) Escort To Berlin by Garry Fry and Jeff Ethell, on 10/27/1944 the three squadrons of the 4thFG had the rudder colors applied as shown on my skin. I also chose not to include the OD portion of the wing fillet shown as I can't imagine the ground crew would allow the group commander to fly the plane in such condition. So I look at this picture as a work in progress as such. P-51D-5 s/n 44-13779 flew on to the end of the war after Col. Blakeslee was grounded on 10/30/1944.

BW P-51 WD_C.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jw7rf2wqudbwq65/4thFG_P51D5NA_WD-C_Blakeslee_Red_Canopy_White_Rudder.7z/file

2019_11_10__20_41_11

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zg2u3p4tr6pik1z/4thFG_P51D5NA_WD-C_Blakeslee_Red_Canopy_White_Rudder.7z/file

 

Edited by Rjel
Download link updated
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WIP: "Man O' War". One of my personal favourite schemes. I always intended to do this one for "IL2:46" but the lack of a model viewer made it too much of a pain.

 

Still a little work to be done. Green stripes need to be darker, (their crude appearance is deliberate as they were brush painted on by his ground crew) ETO IFF stripes are too matt and "dead" looking, and a bit more wear and tear to be added but should be available soon.

 

Does anyone have any information/images of Kinnards distinctively camoflaged 4th Fighter Group Mustang with a RED tail?

 

I'm working from 5 period photos of varying quality to say the least!

 

There are lots of illustrations, decal sheets and an airshow warbird that display a red rudder, but I cannot find any period photos of his Mustang with anything other than a baremetal rudder.

 

Any help appreciated.

 

It uses the @icdp template with a few minor alterations, the main one being new resized (slightly smaller) insignia, as I believe the included ones are too big.

 

Lining up the invasion stripes on the belly was an experience!

 

 

 

 

Man O War.jpg

Edited by Bo_Nidle
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll have to track it down but a late '70s copy of Air Classics had a story about the restored Man O' War with some pictures of the original. None showed it as having a painted rudder that I recall. The story did state that the paint scheme was short lived as it attracted too much attention from friend and foe alike. I'd doubt it was still on Man O' War when the Fourth started using squadron rudder colors in October.

 

This picture doesn't show the rudder but I stumbled onto it a few months ago. I'd never seen this one before.

 

FRE_005314

 

Edited by Rjel
Added photo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

336th_Ripper*
35 minutes ago, 361st_Bugsy said:

It’s a great book and every color was researched to give an exact match

I just ordered it and should receive it this week!

I can’t wait! I guess I will have to scan the Colors and use 3x3 colour picker to get the right colours in photoshop? Is that what you plan to do Bugsy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rjel said:

I'll have to track it down but a late '70s copy of Air Classics had a story about the restored Man O' War with some pictures of the original. None showed it as having a painted rudder that I recall. The story did state that the paint scheme was short lived as it attracted too much attention from friend and foe alike. I'd doubt it was still on Man O' War when the Fourth started using squadron rudder colors in October.

 

This picture doesn't show the rudder but I stumbled onto it a few months ago. I'd never seen this one before.

 

FRE_005314

 

Thanks Rjel.

 

That gentleman is Kinnards crew chief Rod Lonier. I have the same photo in a couple of books but nowhere near the size and detail of that one. Very useful.

 

From the height of the invasion stripe in this photo compared to the period photos I have of "Man O' War" with its stripes, which were taken in September 1944, they show that white stripe had been reduced in height to immediately below the bar on the insignia. That indicates this photo was taken prior to the application of the green stripe scheme rather than after.

 

Kinnard returned to the 355th in December 1944 so it is conceivable that it did wear a red rudder, I'd just like to see confirmation. I might do two versions just for the hell of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

336th_Ripper*
55 minutes ago, 361st_Bugsy said:

No they have a PDF that has all their colors Ill send it to you

http://www.ak-masters.com/app/pdf/RCEquivalenceDIG.pdf

Its worth its weight in gold...

What I did was use a screen shot program to take bitmaps or Jpegs of it then open those up in paint program...

Ooo Gold indeed! You can actually convert the PDF to PNG straight away😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bo_Nidle said:

Thanks Rjel.

 

That gentleman is Kinnards crew chief Rod Lonier. I have the same photo in a couple of books but nowhere near the size and detail of that one. Very useful.

 

From the height of the invasion stripe in this photo compared to the period photos I have of "Man O' War" with its stripes, which were taken in September 1944, they show that white stripe had been reduced in height to immediately below the bar on the insignia. That indicates this photo was taken prior to the application of the green stripe scheme rather than after.

 

Kinnard returned to the 355th in December 1944 so it is conceivable that it did wear a red rudder, I'd just like to see confirmation. I might do two versions just for the hell of it.

I found that picture on the Imperial War Museum website. What a treasure trove that site is.

 I noticed the cowling panels have the last four digits of the airplanes serial number stenciled on them. I'm going to start adding that to my skins.

 

Looking forward to your Man O' War.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

336th_Ripper*

So I am finally able to seamlessly join the Nose Art on the P-51 when it needs to be positioned on the Upper and Side Nose Cowling.😀 as demonstrated in my Boise Bee Remembrance Day release on my skin thread! I am glad I finally got over that hurdle! Now I can do it easily if in need for future releases! 

Edited by BSS_Ripper*
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Man O' War" 4th Fighter Group, September 1944.

Flown by Lt Col Claiborne Kinnard when when he was acting C.O. of the 4thFG.

 

Uses the @icdp template with some tweaks by me. I've tried a lighter tone to the bare metal, darkened the green from my earlier post, added a little bit of shine to the ETO IFF stripes.

 

I still don't like the gloss finish to the metal but can't seem to shake it without killing the metal effect....yet.

 

Still learning Alpha Channels. Interesting.

 

Its up now at LockOn Files:  http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3742-man-o-war-4th-fg/

 

 

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...