jozeff

newbie here: are there thrustmaster TARGET profiles available

Hi guys,

Starting with il2 in VR. It's great but I need some thrustmaster TARGET profiles. I use these for dcs but I cannot find any for il2 bos.

Thanks

Jozeff

Save yourself massive headache by ditching the horrible target program. Instead either set up the controls in iL-2 or use joystickgremlin. Target has a long history of causing issues in iL-2 and you will be looking at massive amounts of time to configurate it correctly. However some people do still actually use it and perhaps they would be willing to share their profile to you.

• Upvote 1

Thanks!

Will the controls in il2 be sufficient? I played around with joystick gremlin for a couple of hours but I found it too complicated and I couldn't get it working correctly in il2 bos.

Target is also very complicated and perhaps a little overkill for someone like me who plays am hour here and there.

Will il2 remember my settings even if I disconect my hardware?

Is joy2key a nice supplement to use add more functions to the game?

Thanks for your help

Jozeff

Unfortunately JoyToKey is not option for IL-2:Sturmovik: Great Battles, I have tried several times, and although in some game updates JoyToKey work OK in others don't work.

With the latest update, if you program a joy button to send LShift+F game understand F and LShift+F, and so you have unwanted commands.

Since JoyTokey don't have advanced features like "hold", "pause/delay", no way to circumvent this problem.

XPadder (shareware $10) has this feature, but their GUI is very cumbersome at start.

Stick with TARGET or try Joystick Gremlin, has simple interface, but require install first Vjoy - what can be PITA in Windows 10.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 4:18 PM, Sokol1 said:

Unfortunately JoyToKey is not option for IL-2:Sturmovik: Great Battles, I have tried several times, and although in some game updates JoyToKey work OK in others don't work.

With the latest update, if you program a joy button to send LShift+F game understand F and LShift+F, and so you have unwanted commands.

Since JoyTokey don't have advanced features like "hold", "pause/delay", no way to circumvent this problem.

XPadder (shareware $10) has this feature, but their GUI is very cumbersome at start.

Stick with TARGET or try Joystick Gremlin, has simple interface, but require install first Vjoy - what can be PITA in Windows 10.

A trick I learned with IL-2 GB and 3rd party key mapping, is to use one simple rule. Any key that is modified (e.g. LAlt+R), will only be interfered with, if you also map the key as stand alone (e.g. R only).

Knowing this, you can have LShft+R, LAlt+R, RShft+R, etc., all mapped without them interfering with each other. If I were to also map a command to R alone, any one of the previous combos would set it off. So in this situation, just don't map R to anything, and there shouldn't be any problems.

Edited by Warpig

Posted (edited)

Warping,

Yes, a good solution, are too some keyboards keys unused in default keymap.

The thing is that many players consider "sacrilege" make changes in the default controls assignment. See the F10 example, they prefer mess cockpit view accidentally than add a modifier, e. LAlt+F10 what will minimize the risk. 😏

I ask for JoyToKey developer about add pause/delay or hold between key press to address Bo'X issue,  but he don't give positive a answer, just for try with available "timer" options, that is just for repeat key press...

Edited by Sokol1

On 5/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, Geronimo553 said:

Save yourself massive headache by ditching the horrible target program.

TARGET script editor actually makes me stick only to Thrustmaster hardware (hotas + rudder) 😉 

@jozeff When I come home and won't forget about it, I can upload my target script (I don't use the graphical UI) + macros for throttle, stick and rudder, so if you don't mind you will have to read the script to check which button does what.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrueGrey said:

TARGET script editor actually makes me stick only to Thrustmaster hardware (hotas + rudder) 😉 

Meanwhile, mostly everyone else does not bother with its endless frustrations and recommend newer pilots to just set up their controls through the game itself. 😉🤷‍♀️

Posted (edited)

@Geronimo553 Completely agree that new players (if they were not using target before) usually should try the ingame setup first as it is simpler.

What I like in Target script is that it gives you way more options/freedom in setting everything up, also some games (for example Elite Dangerous) tend to clear/messup the in-game configs often, making you reconfig everything frequently.

The frustration ends when you know what you are doing and how the software behaves in certain situations ; )

BTW. @jozeff I am not playing in VR, I don't know if it matters, but my setup was created for normal screen with TrackIR.

Edited by TrueGrey

3 minutes ago, TrueGrey said:

@Geronimo553 Completely agree that new players (if they were not using target before) usually should try the ingame setup first as it is simpler.

What I like in Target script is that it gives you way more options/freedom in setting everything up, also some games (for example Elite Dangerous) tend to clear/messup the in-game configs often, making you reconfig everything frequently.

The frustration ends when you know what you are doing and how the software behaves in certain situations ; )

Yes I also agree with that assessment. That is a nice feature of target, the ability to have controls saved outside of the confines of the game and apply the same control/sensitivity across many games. But without knowing all the ins/outs and quirks I never use it. Instead I use joystick gremlin, 100% better. 

3 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Instead I use joystick gremlin, 100% better. 

Since I was always using target I haven't bothered looking for something else, never seen joystick gremlin, so gotta check it as would be nice to have something company-independent.

Hi truegray, that would be awesome!!

Looking forward to your profile!

Cheers

Jozeff

Wow thanks a lot! 

Is this a general profile or is it plane specific? I want to fly the ju52 in particular.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Jozeff

Posted (edited)

@jozeff try to quote/react to my posts as I don't get notification about you asking ; )

Well it's rather general, I don't really fly multi engine planes, but all you need is to map the buttons to change the engine or use keyboard for that, rest should work the same (propeller feathering is already mapped).

Edited by TrueGrey

Hi, where do i place/load the .ttm file??

thanks!!

Jozeff

@jozeff

Same folder as .tmc, when you run .tmc file in the script editor, it will load .ttm.