Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

Just to show it can work both ways. BTW same pilot and is a good one.

1958884048_Desktop2-21-20207-19-43PM-65.thumb.jpg.29665a0ee3e4b22499caf27f2f0d5ea2.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OCA_LoneStar said:

I've seen Krup get double ace in a P51, now a G14 (thanks for pointing this out) and I'm pretty sure I've seen him triple ace in a 262.

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

I've seen Krup get double ace in a P51, now a G14 (thanks for pointing this out) and I'm pretty sure I've seen him triple ace in a 262.

Alonzo, with all due respect, I don't understand why the 262 is being treated like some god-like, red fearing machine recently. In the hands of most it is a very vulnerable machine in climb-out and isn't a super threat. Personally I do not believe for a second this hysteria that the reds will leave the server up in arms if the jet is available. As others have pointed out, a K4 Messerschmitt or Focke D9 are more threatening in the average situation. 

Regards

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

10 minutes ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Alonso, with all due respect, I don't understand why the 262 is being treated like some god-like, red fearing machine recently. In the hands of most it is a very vulnerable machine in climb-out and isn't a super threat. Personally I do not believe for a second this hysteria that the reds will leave the server up in arms if the jet is available. As others have pointed out, a K4 Messerschmidt or Focke D9 are far more threatening for the average situation. 

Regards

So you'll be flying Allied when lots of 262s are available?

I think it comes down to the fact that even a mediocrely-flown 262 is almost immune to retaliation.  

I don't want it nerfed or removed per se.  I just think that a certain map with a certain mechanic in place to potentially remove the 262 from play is designed in such a way that it's easy feed for 109 and 190 stats.  I also think that (Red) not trying to immediately take advantage of that mechanic at the beginning of the map leads to unbalanced resistance to clearing the targets once the 262s get flying.  Maybe if the winning requirement was not take out all enemy targets, it would be different.  There's no point in taking out a Jet Fuel Depot if the early-on objective has been failed anyway.  

The 262 is 200kmh faster and twice as heavily armed as any other fighter in the game.

Fact is that it's not matched by any Allied equivalent. If it were maybe we'd see more, but 262s just aren't really fun to fight against for Allied who ostensibly have no recourse for the huge speed advantage. I wouldn't have included it in BoBp at all if I had been 1C.

13 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

The 262 is 200kmh faster and twice as heavily armed as any other fighter in the game.

Fact is that it's not matched by any Allied equivalent. If it were maybe we'd see more, but 262s just aren't really fun to fight against for Allied who ostensibly have no recourse for the huge speed advantage. I wouldn't have included it in BoBp at all if I had been 1C.

It seems we share a similar sentiment about the 262's capabilities even if we're saying it in different ways. 

As far as single player goes though, hell yes I want the 262 - not only for the historical significance of it, but because it is a pwn machine.

Truth be told it's also a good tool to fly in private practice sessions to learn how to keep energy whilst BnZing and not blackout in high G turns, then go back and apply it to the prop fighters.  

Just because it's much maligned in the MP crowd, my opinion is that it's exactly right to be a part of the series. It just needs to be carefully measured out when added to MP. 

• Upvote 1

It's not fun fighting Tempests in an A8 but I have to do it many times. 

Historically, there were times there were more 262s in the air than there were K4s. I believe it to be somewhat inaccurate for the 262 to be so severely restricted. Why not try something like put 262 fields very close to the lines so that it is dangerous to even take off with one and cover is required for them to get airborne like what happened in real life? Maybe put a 262 spawn somewhere in a very far point on the map and put an allied airspawn very close to it to simulate the constant fighter sweeps being done to bases that housed 262s?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, OCA_LoneStar said:

1958884048_Desktop2-21-20207-19-43PM-65.thumb.jpg.29665a0ee3e4b22499caf27f2f0d5ea2.jpg

So it's proved : it's not the plane but the guy who makes the difference

1 hour ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

..  Maybe put a 262 spawn somewhere in a very far point on the map and put an allied airspawn very close to it to simulate the constant fighter sweeps being done to bases that housed 262s?

Let 262s fly but check most time your 6 and scan the sky around, it will be most efficient. 262 is dangerous for pilots who let themselves to surprise at most part of time (it can't turn in fight).

3 hours ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I believe it to be somewhat inaccurate for the 262 to be so severely restricted.

When the 262 arrived we had higher numbers. At first unlimited, eventually dwindling to 6 per airfield.

The result was that Red stopped logging in to fight them. It's very easy for a second jet to pick off a prop that's busy fighting the first. If you want Red to keep joining the server, you're gonna have to accept that they'll only do it against a small number of 262s.

Edited by Talon_

6 hours ago, Talon_ said:

It is much faster than any other fighter in the game, but in order to retain that speed advantage it must not climb aggressively or turn hard. While going that fast, it is nearly impossible to land hits on an evasive opponent (not just the speed - the ballistics of the 30mm are very tricky). As such, it must rely almost exclusively on stealth to get kills and stay alive.

The point I am trying to make is that it is not without it's disadvantages, so please do not paint it as some invincible plane that is grossly unfair for those that are flying Allied. It is possible to set up traps to catch a 262 - I have done it on several occasions while working with others on comms. If you ever want to wing up and go hunting 262s with me, send me a PM! :)

7 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

The result was that Red stopped logging in to fight them. It's very easy for a second jet to pick off a prop that's busy fighting the first. If you want Red to keep joining the server, you're gonna have to accept that they'll only do it against a small number of 262s.

Where is the data to support this? Almost any time I log into CB, the Allies outnumber Axis regardless of the map. Maybe this has more to do with the time zone that I am in, but I doubt it.

10 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

Where is the data to support this? Almost any time I log into CB, the Allies outnumber Axis regardless of the map. Maybe this has more to do with the time zone that I am in, but I doubt it.

This was before the official release of BoBp so when the server was less well known. It still happened though - it's one of the reasons @Alonzo had to build AI spawning mechanics based on player count.

Edit: for the last 3 months the playerbase has favoured Axis overall by 2-300 users. Just go back though the website tour page for each month.

Edited by Talon_

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

This was before the official release of BoBp so when the server was less well known. It still happened though - it's one of the reasons @Alonzo had to build AI spawning mechanics based on player count.

Edit: for the last 3 months the playerbase has favoured Axis overall by 2-300 users. Just go back though the website tour page for each month.

It doesn't matter how many player do axis only, what matters is the hours of flight per side. Allies have been several hundred more per month the last three months. My dad only play axis but he gets on for 2 hours a month if that. So does he count? Not really.

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

Ah okay, I didn't realize that you were referring to a time when the 262 was completely unrestricted. I thought you were referring to the restrictions that were in place for the last few months, but before the most recent limitations which were added recently. As @III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson stated, there are more Allied flight hours getting racked up. Take January for example - for the entire month, the 262 was restricted, but not quite as much as it is now. Allied logged 519965 total hours while Axis logged 508163 total hours. 

Edited by QB.Creep
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, QB.Creep said:

It is much faster than any other fighter in the game, but in order to retain that speed advantage it must not climb aggressively or turn hard. While going that fast, it is nearly impossible to land hits on an evasive opponent (not just the speed - the ballistics of the 30mm are very tricky). As such, it must rely almost exclusively on stealth to get kills and stay alive.

The point I am trying to make is that it is not without it's disadvantages, so please do not paint it as some invincible plane that is grossly unfair for those that are flying Allied. It is possible to set up traps to catch a 262 - I have done it on several occasions while working with others on comms. If you ever want to wing up and go hunting 262s with me, send me a PM! :)

Side numbers has to do with the timezone you are in and the time of day and the phase of the moon.

The server has more dedicated Axis players than dedicated Allied players, and a smaller number of people who switch between sides basically evenly. honestly the side balancing when I play is only rarely one-sided. But there have been a number of occasions just in the past month where I have played Allies during NA evening times and been outnumbered 40-32 or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

Ah okay, I didn't realize that you were referring to a time when the 262 was completely unrestricted. I thought you were referring to the restrictions that were in place for the last few months, but before the most recent limitations which were added recently. As @III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson stated, there are more Allied flight hours getting racked up. Take January for example - for the entire month, the 262 was restricted, but not quite as much as it is now. Allied logged 519965 total hours while Axis logged 508163 total hours. 

The difference in flight hours between sides is 4.4% in favour of the allies right now and is not really being racked up - the disparity in flight hours has closed hugely since October, and before then it swung back and forth.

The advantage the allies have now in proportion of flight hours is basically the same as the Axis had in April and June of 2019.

image.png.4793348097874e7063c74a8a0419b39c.png

And when we look at the total hours...
image.png.290b9159eab23aaa8a34ccfa2ab40fe3.png

The side balance doesn't swing massively except in October, when everyone was flying their new toys on the allied side. In July we see the flight hours nosedived-  The Allies, already getting stomped by K-4s and D-9s, just said to hell with it when the 262 came on the scene, and it was exacerbated by TAW and the Summer weather. The 262s had no targets and so few people flew axis either. The less-restrained 262 has no impact on side balance, it just drives people off the server.

Monthly flight hours have been basically stable since the end of 2019. Note that we aren't even done February yet and the total flight hours is almost equal to December. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

It sounds to me like we are in agreement that the 262s have not caused people to stop playing Allied over the last 3-4 months. Which makes me wonder why it was necessary to limit their availability even further on Eindhoven. Not a big deal but I just think it was an unnecessary change.

Are you arguing to not fly against 262. I still do not have BoBP, my best aircraft is G6 and FW190. I can't fight P-51, P-38 and tempest. I switched to ground attack more to sbe usefull to my team. BoBP is more than one hundred "bonoros" and I am spending bonoros to upgrade my rig. My processor is still 2011.

Edited by =BLW=Tales

On Eindhoven the priority target is the Jet Fuel Depot.  It's a priority target, plain and simple.  Once 262s can launch, it's essentially a failed objective, but still one that needs to be destroyed to win the map. 

>>The Jet Fuel Depot is a slaughter pen designed to favor the 109 and 190 stat padders. THAT's the main issue I have with the map<<.  If you save it for later, then 262s get added to the mix.

Even if it's easy to dodge a 262 (if you spot it in time), it makes great bait for the 109s and 190s to stroll up behind and smash you.  Usually the quick dodge or break turn you had to do to avoid the 262 is just enough energy bleed to make the following 109's and 190's job all the easier.  When it comes to D9s and K4s, the allied planes are only equal in certain situations, slightly underperforming in most, and only superior on very specific instances.  Tipping the balance against them isn't really all that hard.   

You can argue that the 262 is not the killer it's made out to be all you want, but that totally discounts all the kills by other planes it facilitates.  Also, flown well, the 262 is actually the killer it's made out to be. 

Still, I don't mind that the 262 exists or gets used.  The part of my statement that's in-between the  >>    << was my original point and my argument against the Battle of Eindhoven map design.  The 262 just happens to be related. 

14 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

When it comes to D9s and K4s, the allied planes are only equal in certain situations, slightly underperforming in most, and only superior on very specific instances.  Tipping the balance against them isn't really all that hard. 

You have made this point a few times and I very strongly disagree with it. Ask @Krupinskii if he thinks that the D9 and K4 are superior to the P-51 in all but "very specific instances".

Edited by QB.Creep

12 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

You have made this point a few times and I very strongly disagree with it. Ask @Krupinskii if he thinks that the D9 and K4 are superior to the P-51 in all but "very specific instances".

Oh yeah, I never did get back to you on that post a few pages back where you originally said "I agree!" then stealth edited it a day later....   

Check out ~ 3 minutes on..

Comparing the fight between the 262 and anything the Allies have to counter it to fighting 51's in 190 A8's and 109 G14's is silly. It is in no way similar. Yes the 51 is faster than those planes but the gap is nowhere near the same. If you are attacked by a 51 or attack the 51 in either the G14 or A8 you have options that can maneuver the fight to your advantage. I have seen that particular fight from both sides and come away winner and loser from both sides. I have also seen the fighting against 262's. The only hope of winning that fight as the Allied ride, even in the much feared Tempest, is for the 262 to let you win it. How they can let you win it varies based on situation but at the end of the day it is in their hands, not yours. And even a player of moderate skill can figure out how to avoid letting the other guy win. It is very much like fighting G4 109's in a Yak 1: Yes you can win but only if the 109 botches things horribly.

I also find it interesting that when I ask for more closely historic availability of 150 fuel for Allied rides I'm told off for 'trying to engineer a fight I can always win' or 'campaigning for red side advantage'. But when these guys rock up asking for an obvious blue advantage the issue is debated as if it has some other merit than that.

24 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Check out ~ 3 minutes on..

He got bogged down in a turn fight and got killed. Is that what you wanted me to see? That can happen regardless of the airframe you are in. That does not mean that the P-51, Tempest, or Spit IX are "slightly underperforming in most [circumstances], and only superior on very specific instances". Or are you referring to the "cons" of the P-51 he went over (high risk of accelerated stall at high AoA, mushy controls and poor performance at low airspeed)? Every plane has cons - the K4 bleeds a lot of energy once the slats come out, the pilots do not have a G-suit, poor rear visibility, very fragile damage model, etc. 

Did you listen to his words?  You know, the things he's saying?  Things like the 51 out accelerates none of the 109s nor the D9 and gets out climbed by even a 109 G4....  

Lol, K4 "has a fragile damage model".  

Edited by Mobile_BBQ

The K4 is fragile, especially compared to the P-51. You have to have enough distance between you and your opponent in order to outclimb them, so that is very situational. Same goes for acceleration. In all of these measures there are tradeoffs - I think it is unfair to pick on on just the cons of the P-51 and use those to support this notion that in general it is not as good as the competition. 

@-SF-Disarray I am not saying that Allied planes have an easy time defeating a 262 (although it is possible), but avoiding one is quite easy. My point is that they were already restricted quite a bit... and then in the last few weeks a decision was made to restrict them even more. I disagree with that position. I do not believe that I am campaigning for blue advantage, just a return to what existed since roughly November on the Eindhoven map.

So you don't see getting a plane that has no counter, out side of some very specific circumstances that can be avoided or circumvented with proper planning and coordination, in greater numbers as a blue advantage? Interesting. What would qualify as an advantage, if that doesn't?

37 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

The K4 is fragile, especially compared to the P-51. You have to have enough distance between you and your opponent in order to outclimb them, so that is very situational. Same goes for acceleration. In all of these measures there are tradeoffs - I think it is unfair to pick on on just the cons of the P-51 and use those to support this notion that in general it is not as good as the competition.

I've pumped 2-3 second burst of .50 cal at 250m into K4s with little effect.  I've also been side by side with a K4, both of us at low speed and both slamming to full throttle and diving.  He was out of gun range before I could even get the sight on him.  He was literally at my 3o'c and I at his 9 at less than 50m distance between us. 

At equal energy the K4 wins every time.  It out climbs. It out turns. It out accelerates. It out rolls - unless the 51 is low fuel.  I has better rudder authority. It's much more stable when slow.   Even when a 51 is at it's top safe speed, before it loses parts, the K4 can still slowly, but surely, gain on it.  What more do you want?  

Edited by Mobile_BBQ
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -SF-Disarray said:

So you don't see getting a plane that has no counter, out side of some very specific circumstances that can be avoided or circumvented with proper planning and coordination, in greater numbers as a blue advantage? Interesting. What would qualify as an advantage, if that doesn't?

I am not asking to have 262s in greater numbers on the server. Just pointing out that limiting them even more than they already were on the Eindhoven map seems like a bit much.

On the Eindhoven map for the last several months, Axis got access to two 262s once Allied gets approximately 20 players in the air and after a roughly 20 minute delay. After that, they are able to unlock 3 more 262s for every train that arrives at Venlo for a maximum of 11 aircraft. In a full 2.5 hour map you will typically see 300+ sorties flown by all players, which means the 262 is capped at a little over 3% of the available aircraft total. Again, this is assuming all three trains get through, which is very rare. 

Recently, a change was made to keep the Venlo airfield locked until a train arrives. That means it is more difficult for Axis to defend Deurne and the route that the train takes to Venlo. It also means that they do not get the first two 262s that used to unlock after a delay and 20 Allied players joining the game. All the Allied team has to do is strafe the train to prevent a single 262 from becoming available, which is what has happened on many of the Eindhoven missions I have seen lately despite a coordinated effort to protect the train. 

15 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

I've pumped 2-3 second burst of .50 cal at 250m into K4s with little effect.  I've also been side by side with a K4, both of us at low speed and both slamming to full throttle and diving.  He was out of gun range before I could even get the sight on him.  He was literally at my 3o'c and I at his 9 at less than 50m distance between us. 

At equal energy the K4 wins every time.  It out climbs. It out turns. It out accelerates. It out rolls - unless the 51 is low fuel.  I has better rudder authority. It's much more stable when slow.   Even when a 51 is at it's top safe speed, before it loses parts, the K4 can still slowly, but surely, gain on it.  What more do you want?  

I suspect that you are saying these things because you lack experience flying late-war Axis planes against late-war Allied planes. I don't say that to be rude, just an observation based on your CB stats. I want you to fly some friendly 1v1s with me in Berloga so I can show you how the P-51 can exploit the weaknesses of the K4. It isn't a one-sided match up at all. Hit me up on Discord! Creep#7242

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

I suspect that you are saying these things because you lack experience flying late-war Axis planes against late-war Allied planes. I don't say that to be rude, just an observation based on your CB stats. I want you to fly some friendly 1v1s with me in Berloga so I can show you how the P-51 can exploit the weaknesses of the K4. It isn't a one-sided match up at all. Hit me up on Discord! Creep#7242

My CB/multiplayer stats don't reflect all of my flight time and what I fly.  

I don't use discord. Sorry I don't care for bloatware.  

I have no problem with 1v1 provided there is enough time and distance to get the plane properly trimmed before engaging.  Starting at less than 10km away and running at each other with our hair on fire without being able to pre-trim the planes (especially the 51) is for lack of a better term, artificial. 

• Upvote 1

CB has a training/dogfight server separately, steelskies is also available to 1v1 on, so if you really wanna measure who‘s got the longest, there‘s always opportunities.

31 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Starting at less than 10km away and running at each other with our hair on fire without being able to pre-trim the planes (especially the 51) is for lack of a better term, artificial. 

there is enough time to trim it properly, but i guess some just need excuses ;)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

CB has a training/dogfight server separately, steelskies is also available to 1v1 on, so if you really wanna measure who‘s got the longest, there‘s always opportunities.

there is enough time to trim it properly, but i guess some just need excuses ;)

And some need to put a dog in the fight that's not theirs.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Here's the thing - the 262's that are available wouldn't be instantly snapped up if they weren't amazing. People aren't snapping them up because they are so challenging.

Trying to convince the rest of us that the 262 is actually hard to fly, and/or actually easy to fight against, is silly.

Likewise, the number of 262's available is already too high from a historical perspective. Countering that the number of K-4's is even less historical, while true, is laughably illogical.

Let's put it this way - you guys wouldn't be arguing so desperately to get more 262's if it wasn't an amazing plane. And red pilots wouldn't hate it so much if it wasn't.

I've shot down a handful, I know it can be done. I've evaded them a bunch of times, when lucky enough to see them coming. I've also had one come in behind me and blow me out of the sky in the 5-10 seconds between checking 6, then proceed to do the same to a bunch of other people, more times than I can remember.

The admins are right on this one. Can't wait to have this argument again over the Ar-234.

I only know Im pked by tempest and P51 fairly often, lose control and get in Flames with single shots. Subjective? Maybe since i do write down my loses. I pump two or three 20mm grenades at allied and they resist fairly often. Subjective? Maybe.

I will not complain, just trying to not get a single bullet next time. Devs say will touch DM but does not explain what is modeled wrong. Im still out BoBP so inferior Edge here. Im sharping my Ground attack. Im optimistic i can perform better. Im not planning to go BoBP or BoN for a while.

Whenever i get shoot I reduce speed, flip and bail out before pked or lose controls so my ac roars to earth without a chance to bail. No way i can fight in a crippled plane, and it get crippled fast. I do not see the same effect on allied planes. I am not sure, but o guess bail out after some strikes is historical, aircraft are fragile. But i do not see our counterparts as fragile as well, from my perspective.

Edited by =BLW=Tales

2 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

Recently, a change was made to keep the Venlo airfield locked until a train arrives. That means it is more difficult for Axis to defend Deurne and the route that the train takes to Venlo. It also means that they do not get the first two 262s that used to unlock after a delay and 20 Allied players joining the game. All the Allied team has to do is strafe the train to prevent a single 262 from becoming available, which is what has happened on many of the Eindhoven missions I have seen lately despite a coordinated effort to protect the train.

We've just reverted this change. Two jets should now unlock when enough Allied players get in the air, regardless of whether the train makes it to Venlo.

• Thanks 1

The inimitable @ShamrockOneFive has written a piece about Combat Box on his StormBirds blog! Check it out if you want to know more about what's behind Combat Box and the team. The piece also features some absolutely epic screenshots from sorties on the server. Thanks Shamrock!

https://stormbirds.blog/2020/02/24/community-qa-with-red-flight-and-the-combat-box-server/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

just read the stormbirds blog.  great stuff about combat box and the team. great job, guys.  stick with what you are doing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

A Very odd thing happen tonight . weird . !!!

Bridge too far . 

Seen a 190 low heading towards one of the bridges , dive down came up behind and opened fire  but all the rounds went through him ,  i got so close and a quick (freeze ),  i had to pull up very quick or collided  and had black out ,  I came too and i could not find him , no smoke , no wreckage . Nothing was like he disappeared . I circle but nothing, looking every where , checked state no kill , Surly got kill that close . 

Checked website and no log and no person . I did not imagine this . 

What could of caused this .  ???

Any thoughts anyone . Very strange . 

Edited by KoN_

3 minutes ago, KoN_ said:

A Very odd thing happen tonight . weird . !!!

Bridge too far . 

Seen a 190 low heading towards one of the bridges , dive down came up behind and opened fire  but all the rounds went through him ,  i got so close and a quick (freeze ),  i had to pull up very and hard black out , came too and i could not find him , no smoke , no wreckage . Nothing was like he disappeared . I circle but nothing, looking every where , checked state no kill , Surly got kill that close . 

Checked website and no log and no person . I did not imagine this . 

What could of caused this .  ???

Sounds like it could be a guy with extremely high ping. Your shots may appear to you to have landed, but the position you saw was out of sync, so the server registered no hits. Then, if his ping got too high, he would get disconnected and would seem to disappear. If you never landed hits on him then his plane would disappear and count as 'crashed' but you wouldn't get the kill. Did you notice in the chat if anyone got kicked for high ping shortly after?

Of course, it could also be a bug or something more sinister. Did you get a track or a recording? Might be worth submitting to the devs if so.

20 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Sounds like it could be a guy with extremely high ping. Your shots may appear to you to have landed, but the position you saw was out of sync, so the server registered no hits. Then, if his ping got too high, he would get disconnected and would seem to disappear. If you never landed hits on him then his plane would disappear and count as 'crashed' but you wouldn't get the kill. Did you notice in the chat if anyone got kicked for high ping shortly after?

Of course, it could also be a bug or something more sinister. Did you get a track or a recording? Might be worth submitting to the devs if so.

The ping thing has crossed my mind , as i did have a freeze when really close to him . My internet is fibre 100 . Guess it was a ping thing . Did have a 109 warping later also . 

I fly whichever side I feel like on a particular evening. The K4 and G14 do feel fragile compared to the P51. But in my experience the bigger issue is the odd damage modeling on the P-38 elevator/tail and the P-47 engine. There's also something odd about the endgame damage model on the 38 where the plane just breaks in half catastrophically.