Jump to content
Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

Recommended Posts

One of our mega talented admins has written a tool to gather mission results for balancing purposes so we don't have to parse everything manually anymore. This is so cool I just had to share it with you guys!! 😁

2019-11-22_14_39_15-Window.jpg

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Talon_ said:

One of our mega talented admins has written a tool to gather mission results for balancing purposes so we don't have to parse everything manually anymore. This is so cool I just had to share it with you guys!! 😁

 

 

Wait wait wait. Does this mean Copy Box is trying to ditch its Red-bat Box Talon Flight heritage and actually balance maps so blue can win too? I like my Bias Box as it is, thank you, don't change it!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few of us were attacking the Arnhem Bridge in "A Bridge Too Far" today and we were trying to figure out what objects remained to be destroyed. We were not sure if the center span was the only bridge object to be taken down, but it turns out you need to take down 2 out of 3 spans to take care of that part of the target.

 

I was thinking that it would be very helpful to have a short target objective summary when you mouse over any target icon. A summary like the following could be written in the Description field of the icon translator for the target icon:

 

        Elevation: 12m ASL // Objective: 2 out of 3 bridge spans / Two bunkers, 4 tents, SW side / 4 bunkers, 2 nets, SE side

 

This is just a rough example and is not complete for Arnhem Bridge.

 

I also included an elevation for the benefit of the level bomber folks. You could even enable the info if a recon flight overflew the bridge (if you wanted to get really fancy) by using two duplicate icons, one with the info and one without.

 

An added benefit would be that the "documentation" would help make missions easier to maintain as some of the target destruction logic can get pretty complex.

 

Anyway, just an idea to make life easier for attackers.

 

Cheers!

 

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

Combat box 11-23-19.  Trashing the place :)

That was awesome! Now all we are missing are ground personnel running frantically to ready up aircraft and manning guns!

Edited by -332FG-Hank_DG
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, I'm very excited to announce we have a new map launching tomorrow, Black Friday, at 21:00 UTC / 16:00 Eastern / 14:00 Mountain

 

The mission is Crossing the Rhine and centers on the legendary events surrounding the town of Remagen, as a US Army Division captures the only intact bridge across the Rhine. We've re-imagined this scenario for IL2 multiplayer. Here's the mission text to whet your appetite:

 

Remagen, March 1945. Allied forces are swarming across Europe, liberating territory from the Reich. After capturing the Seigfried Line the 9th Armored Division of the US Army unexpectedly captures the only remaining bridge across the Rhine. Ludendorff Bridge is wired with six thousand pounds of high explosive, but as the Germans try to demolish the bridge half the explosives fail to detonate, leaving the bridge intact.

 

The GIs quickly take advantage of the situation, securing and repairing the bridge and building tactical pontoon bridges to support their operation. "Cross the Rhine with dry feet, courtesy 9th Armored Div" is proudly painted on a sign across the bridge, with hundreds of tanks and thousands of troops making the crossing safely.

 

Hitler orders all possible measures be taken to destroy the bridge, including the use of artillery, heavy bombing, V2 rockets and even underwater frogmen equipped with explosives.

 

Mission conditions:

  • 0900 hours, 14th March 1945
  • Cloudy skies with winds from the west

Victory conditions:
Germany must destroy the bridges at Remagen at any cost. Additionally, orders have been given to "search and destroy" Allied troops in the bridgehead on the east side of the Rhine. The Allies must destroy German defences and strategic targets. The first side to destroy four objectives will win the map.

 

German airlift operations:
Despite Hitler's orders to fight to the last man, German troops are falling back. The airfields at Bonn and Asbach are dispatching transport flights to Breitscheid and Limburg. If enough transport planes arrive safely, Germany will be one step closer to victory.
 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Hey everyone, I'm very excited to announce we have a new map launching tomorrow, Black Friday, at 21:00 UTC / 16:00 Eastern / 14:00 Mountain

 

The mission is Crossing the Rhine and centers on the legendary events surrounding the town of Remagen, as a US Army Division captures the only intact bridge across the Rhine.

 

And here's a screenshot to hopefully get people hyped.

 

remagen-262-bridge.thumb.jpg.dca471550c94238d2dfecab391d9f65f.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I helped with the testing of Crossing the Rhine, and in my opinion it's easily the most beautiful setting of all the Combat Box missions so far. I'm certain it will quickly become a favourite with many players 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alonzo said:

 

And here's a screenshot to hopefully get people hyped.

 

remagen-262-bridge.thumb.jpg.dca471550c94238d2dfecab391d9f65f.jpg

I am filled with both hype and blinding rage, because I'm unlikely to be able to play at all for like a friggin month.

I'm frothing at the beak here!

Somebody, please make repeated, ineffectual attacks on ground targets while getting constantly shot down on my behalf. Do it for Red!

Edited by RedKestrel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Valkyrie77 said:

Server is down 

 

Server is down for hardware tuning, and will be back up in a couple of hours at the longest.

Always check our Discord server for announcements 😉

https://discord.gg/Rcjj33E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Valkyrie77 said:

Some of us don’t use discord 

 

Maybe most of us don't use discord; hate the thing and won't touch it.

 

Happy landings,

 

56RAF_Talisman

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Valkyrie77 said:

Thanks for the new map. I love it 

 

+ 1 but the Rheinland winter map is unplayable for me : I can't see the other planes. I gave up to fly on now (like many guys)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Valkyrie77 said:

Some of us don’t use discord 

 

That being the case we will consider alternative ways to inform everyone in advance about planned server downtime, or during times we experience issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 5:54 PM, haluter said:

 

Server is down for hardware tuning, and will be back up in a couple of hours at the longest.

Always check our Discord server for announcements 😉

https://discord.gg/Rcjj33E

 

8 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

 

+ 1 but the Rheinland winter map is unplayable for me : I can't see the other planes. I gave up to fly on now (like many guys)

 

8 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

 

+ 1 but the Rheinland winter map is unplayable for me : I can't see the other planes. I gave up to fly on now (like many guys)

Shall I cry for you? Nobody can see other planes on expert mode.  Dry your eyes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I can see planes that are in line to reflect sunlight up to 30km away, even with expert spotting mode. (ie; sun at my back and the contacts out in front of me) 

I know this because I can work out where I am on the map and compare it to where I can see they are. 

The problem I have is actually I.D.ing them when I get close enough.  It leaves me having to fly up to each plane and inspect it with nearly no ability to stay out of their situational awareness and do that for almost every plane I see. In order to pick the right target, I'm constantly trading any energy/altitude/position advantage I might have to avoid commiting friendly fire  Needless to say, even if I do get a kill, I don't get away with it because every other opponent plane in the immediate area has been onto me for the last 30 seconds and are already shooting.  I hate to say it but, as much as I think the visibility changes are a step in the right direction, it seems to me there is something wrong with the scale size of the models in the 2km to 5km range. 

It doesn't help that those damned clipped wing Spits look like impostor 190s.

Edited by Mobile_BBQ
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Combat Box Summary for November 2019.

 

IL2 Stats tour report: http://combatbox.net/en/?tour=15

3,504 unique players / 15,779 hours flown / 16,523 air-to-air kills / 114,780 ground kills

 

This month we released three new missions—Closing of the Ruhr Pocket, The Legend of Y-29, and Crossing the Rhine—all based on historical events during the Allied campaign in Europe. This brings us to 5 missions on the new Rhineland map, spanning a time period from late 1944 through early 1945, with a variety of aircraft, configurations and loadouts on each mission to reflect what was historically available (and sometimes tweaked for balance reasons).

 

2019_11_29__5_47_43.thumb.jpg.2a7146d206aab4cdabf7e076b70fda4d.jpg

 

Speaking of balance, the overall win rate was about two-thirds Allied, one-third Axis if you count all the missions flown. We typically focus our balancing on missions where at least 100 players flew the mission, so these numbers are slightly different (at a low-population time of day, just a few players can win a map, and so we discount those missions when working on balance). We have a new internal tool to analyze map results thanks to @haluter.

 

We continue to expand the mechanics available to pilots on our multiplayer maps. Crossing the Rhine features a heavily fortified bridge at Remagen with Allied armor crossing it, as well as an "area objective" target and evacuation transports flown by Ai or players. The Legend of Y-29 uses around 20 Ai fighters and fighter-bombers to kick-start the mission and provide some sense of what the events at Y-29 might have been like.

 

The admin team has expanded to four; thank you very much to the rest of the team for all your help and support. You can find us on our Discord with the @admin tag; the Discord currently has 1,190 members. We have re-overclocked our server to support larger player counts and maps with Ai and additional SFX, and we currently support an 80 player limit on the server. We used about 2,500 GB of traffic in November.

 

We gave away a copy of Battle for Bodenplatte, premium edition in October, and did so again for our November pilots. Any pilot who has flown at least 12 hours on Combat Box during the month was eligible for the prize draw. I'm happy to say @=ABr=BR_Boaventura won the giveaway and just needs to claim their prize!

 

We very much appreciate our server donors and Patreon supporters. If you like what we're doing and would like to support us, please visit patreon.com/combatbox

  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big thanks to Red Flight for the fantastic server! Absolutely loving flying on there - it has become my go-to server for BoX!

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the Crossing the Rhine mission!

 

Couple of questions/observations:

 

1.  Watching a recorded track back in replay mode, with icons on I spot Allied (red) units deep inside Blue territory.  These include vehicles but also what appear to be flak or arty positions inside city limits, sometimes mixed among the blue and not where an advance patrol would be expected.  Is this intentional or would you like more info on what is found, in order to address?

 

2.  Speaking of flak, man there's some truly deadly stuff at Arnhem on the AB2F mission.   Approaching from the far north at 5+K altitude in an He111, I was taken out before the city and bridge even came into view of the bombsight.    All was quiet, I was lining things up with a long way to go and Arnhem visible in the distance, suddenly the world is spinning around in the bombsight, wing was taken completely off by one burst of flak, it was like a one-shot, one-kill kinda thing.  Not complaining but, Yow!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

1.  Watching a recorded track back in replay mode, with icons on I spot Allied (red) units deep inside Blue territory.  These include vehicles but also what appear to be flak or arty positions inside city limits, sometimes mixed among the blue and not where an advance patrol would be expected.  Is this intentional or would you like more info on what is found, in order to address?

 

2.  Speaking of flak, man there's some truly deadly stuff at Arnhem on the AB2F mission.   Approaching from the far north at 5+K altitude in an He111, I was taken out before the city and bridge even came into view of the bombsight.    All was quiet, I was lining things up with a long way to go and Arnhem visible in the distance, suddenly the world is spinning around in the bombsight, wing was taken completely off by one burst of flak, it was like a one-shot, one-kill kinda thing.  Not complaining but, Yow!

 

For 1, it's not expected to have Allied units outside of the "bridgehead" area (so not 'deep' in blue territory, only along the river the other side of Remagen, from Remagen to Koblenz). If you have a grid or replay I can check what's there.

 

For 2, were you on auto-level or near a player airfield? Puffy flak should be on 'normal' skill near objectives, 'high' skill at player airfields. It's only the player airfields where you should need to worry about laser-guided flak, the rest of it should be more reasonable. But even normal skill puffy flak + autolevel can cause a problem because if you're not varying your flight path it may hit you. It might also be plain bad luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alonzo said:

 

For 1, it's not expected to have Allied units outside of the "bridgehead" area (so not 'deep' in blue territory, only along the river the other side of Remagen, from Remagen to Koblenz). If you have a grid or replay I can check what's there.

 

For 2, were you on auto-level or near a player airfield? Puffy flak should be on 'normal' skill near objectives, 'high' skill at player airfields. It's only the player airfields where you should need to worry about laser-guided flak, the rest of it should be more reasonable. But even normal skill puffy flak + autolevel can cause a problem because if you're not varying your flight path it may hit you. It might also be plain bad luck.

 

Thanks for the reply, Alonzo!   Yeah I'll get you grid coordinates when I can.

 

And yes I was on auto-level because I'd moved to the bombsight position.  Prolly bad luck as you say.  No biggie, my crew and I knew the chances when we climbed on board and took off... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot down twice directly over the bridge (I forget the name) that's in the bridgehead area for the new bridgehead map.  Pilot was literally going to land next to the Allied bunkers on the west side of the bridge both times.  End result was "captured" both times.  I guess this can be justified that it would take a day (or 3) to get the pilot back to the airfield but, we can transfer pilot(s) from airbase to airbase between fights, sometimes 100+km away, with the click of a button.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mobile_BBQ said:

Shot down twice directly over the bridge (I forget the name) that's in the bridgehead area for the new bridgehead map.  Pilot was literally going to land next to the Allied bunkers on the west side of the bridge both times.  End result was "captured" both times.  I guess this can be justified that it would take a day (or 3) to get the pilot back to the airfield but, we can transfer pilot(s) from airbase to airbase between fights, sometimes 100+km away, with the click of a button.  

I think that by default there is a buffer zone on either side of the front line displayed on the mission, where there is a chance of being captured if you are in friendly territory and a chance to escape if you are in enemy territory. But I'm not 100% sure on that. 

19 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

 

 

2.  Speaking of flak, man there's some truly deadly stuff at Arnhem on the AB2F mission.   Approaching from the far north at 5+K altitude in an He111, I was taken out before the city and bridge even came into view of the bombsight.    All was quiet, I was lining things up with a long way to go and Arnhem visible in the distance, suddenly the world is spinning around in the bombsight, wing was taken completely off by one burst of flak, it was like a one-shot, one-kill kinda thing.  Not complaining but, Yow!

 

 

 

I'm afraid you've run afoul of Jim "Tex" Sanderson, the fastest flak gun in the West. I'll tell him to tone it down a bit when we talk next, but he's never been the same since he did that tour as a Pe-2 gunner at Stalingrad.
 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I think that by default there is a buffer zone on either side of the front line displayed on the mission, where there is a chance of being captured if you are in friendly territory and a chance to escape if you are in enemy territory. But I'm not 100% sure on that. 

 

 

Then the territory line should be moved as the Allied bridgehead 'pocket' is on the Axis side of the Red/Blue line.  To be captured when the Allied pilot, in his chute, touches down literally within walking distance of an Allied bunker complex on the west side of the bridge is supremely unlikely.  The Axis would have had to fight literally everyone (queue Gary Oldman meme) to capture the pilot and get him back to real Axis territory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're making a change to our map rotation. Every week or so we will feature one "classic" mission in addition to our new BoBP missions. This will make 6 missions in rotation and help avoid the "always same mission at same time of day" problem. This week we're adding Operation Frantic back into the mix, updated with new planes and a new "shuttle bombing" unlock mechanic.

 

frantic-promo-1k.jpg.df7916645e4ab0535cd9c034407e7242.jpg

 

 

12 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Shot down twice directly over the bridge (I forget the name) that's in the bridgehead area for the new bridgehead map.  Pilot was literally going to land next to the Allied bunkers on the west side of the bridge both times.  End result was "captured" both times.  I guess this can be justified that it would take a day (or 3) to get the pilot back to the airfield but, we can transfer pilot(s) from airbase to airbase between fights, sometimes 100+km away, with the click of a button.  

 

Nope, it's a bug. I set the influence zone before finalizing the bridgehead, and the German "capture" zone was indeed extending into the bridgehead. I've fixed this, but you don't get much wiggle room -- there's about a thousand meters "no man's land" before you'd get captured. Thanks for the bug report!

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

 … but you don't get much wiggle room...   

 

Thanks for the bug report!

 

Thanks for the fix!   

It's totally plausible to be the ground forces left helpless to watch a downed pilot dragged off by the enemy and not be able to do much about it but, any room is better than none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night, one of our TeamSpeak regulars pointed out that there are Russian ground crew walking around the Western Allies bases.  I told him it was an officer exchange program. If our airfield gets overrun, we "exchange" them to the Germans for our own freedom! :P

 

Anyway, was this a mis-selection of soldier type or does BoBp still have missing "detail assets" such as American and British uniformed ground crew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what is up with the server? I can see it in multiplayer but it shows 0 players which is really odd and I can't seem to connect. It downloads the files and goes through the loading screen and then drops me back out. I assume this is why no one else is connected

 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AlphaZulu said:

Anyone know what is up with the server? I can see it in multiplayer but it shows 0 players which is really odd and I can't seem to connect. It downloads the files and goes through the loading screen and then drops me back out. I assume this is why no one else is connected

 

Thanks. 

According to discord, it should be working again. Just to let you know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Last night, one of our TeamSpeak regulars pointed out that there are Russian ground crew walking around the Western Allies bases.  I told him it was an officer exchange program. If our airfield gets overrun, we "exchange" them to the Germans for our own freedom! :P

 

Anyway, was this a mis-selection of soldier type or does BoBp still have missing "detail assets" such as American and British uniformed ground crew?

 

The soldiers are associated with certain airfield objects like aircraft revetments or ammunition bunkers. As far as I can tell, the developers have not yet added any Western Europe-specific objects that have soldiers.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JimTM said:

The soldiers are associated with certain airfield objects like aircraft revetments or ammunition bunkers. As far as I can tell, the developers have not yet added any Western Europe-specific objects that have soldiers.

 

Yep, I think that's what's going on. I've tried to include Allied (as opposed to Soviet) ground objects where possible, for example static aircraft at US or British bases should be Spitfire / Tempest / P51 / P38 / P47, but this is not possible for all assets yet.

15 hours ago, =gRiJ=Oversturm said:
152/5000
 
 
 
Please, could you confirm that the points of this pilot are correct.
http://combatbox.net/es/pilot/6882/=gRiJ=Aty2/?tour=16

 

Looks like the pilot destroyed 416 tents and a jeep. We have changed the way the points work because players were farming the easily destroyed camp tents. Some targets require the tents to be killed, but for many they are decoration and "too easy". So to get the most points you need to kill real ground targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regularly now, idiots clutter the chat to insult and endless trash talking. Is it possible to do something about it? It becomes ... painful. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...