Posted (edited)

@[Pb]Vapor and I are creating a cooperative weekly event on Saturdays at 2pm EST. Additionally, we want to help newbie mission designers by having them build just the objectives that will be used in these cooperative events. Then, each week the mission will randomly select (via @JimTM's random generator) one of the objectives built by the community. Our missions normally run 40-50 minutes, so we can run two or three missions per week; allowing multiple objectives to be attempted each week. Think about how awesome it would be to have your stuff played by players each week; this isn't always a common occurrence! Additionally, you'll get feedback right away about your objective, and can learn and grow from it. And for us pilots, it'll give us a ton of variety - just as it was in the real war.

What about those auto-magical mission generators? I can press a button and make a mission very easily with them!
There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, and as a matter of fact they make great missions. However, there's something about having different humans making missions. Its variety that can't be patternized like a pre-generated missions an become. Plus, there's something rewarding about mission designing that you can't get pressing a single button to make a mission.

Okay, how does this work then?

We give you a "Play Area" template. This template has the spawn locations of both the German players, and the American/Russian players. It also has the front lines, and the play area mapped out for you. All you have to do is design an objective for one side to attack, and the other side to defend. Don't worry, we have a template for that too. You'll upload your template to us, we'll then check it out, add it to the mission, and then on that Saturday have the guys play out the mission. If we get enough entries, we could have two or three objectives per mission.

Where can I get this "Play Area" template?

Play_Area_Template.zip  <-- Right here.  This is the play area where you'll set your objective up within. It's important that you use the Kuban map when importing the template in the editor, or it will not place the template in the correct location. Again this template gives you the following:

• The 'Play Area' boundaries 
  • German and American start locations
  • The current frontlines
  • The health board location (to place your objective's current health)

What about the objective template you mentioned earlier?

Intermediate_Example_Objective_Template.zip <-- Here you go... This is an example objective template that you can tear apart, or just replace certain parts of it. For the newer designers, this template may be a little daunting to tackle because of all the little pieces it has that make it complete and because it's a moving convoy versus a non-moving entity such as buildings. Don't worry! We'll help you out here on the forums, or on our Discord, and we intend on providing a video tutorial series, that I'll explain in a moment. However, those that have used the editor should totally understand what's going on in this template. It includes:

• an input for the random generator, 
  • an output if we want to link multiple objectives (back to back) from different designers
  • an on attack sub group for when the objective is attack
  • a 'health bar' system with included health bar icons so everyone can know via the map the health of the objective,
  • a 'primary mission' complete tasker for both Axis (if convoy is destroyed), and Allied (if convoy escapes)
  • subtitle messages for when events fire, such as when the convoy is attacked, when a vehicle in the convoy is destroyed, when the convoy gets to various waypoints (to escape), and so on
  • vehicle movement logic for when enemy planes get near (the convoy will panic and stop/shoot at enemy planes) and when enemy planes fly away (the convoy will continue on mission).
  • everything labeled in clear English (as best as I could) and placed in logical and clean locations so that other designers can understand how I built the convoy template.

Here's an image of the example objective template:

unknown.thumb.png.7cbd2ca1f5ea1154d8eac6b80bfb4c91.png

Cool, so how can I get my objectives into the Saturday events?

We have to set some standards for an mission to be fun for pilots to attempt. We want pilots on both sides to know what's going on with an objective, we want the objectives to be fair, and we want them to be cool looking too. With that in mind, to get your objective in the Saturday cooperative mission, your objective must:

• have an input for the random generator. This is to "start" that objective if the random generator selects it
  • Have a win condition(s) for both sides,
  • Use the Damage Display Switch with icons to represent health of the objective for both sides,
  • Have a subtitle message display in 3 minute intervals for when the objective is being attacked (and stop messaging when the objective is not attacked),
  • Use subtitles to let players know the progress of the objective if said objective moves,
  • Be fair and realistic for win condition(s); preferably 6-8 100kg bombs or 4-6 250kb bombs are needed to HIT to destroy your objective,
  • Assume that the mission will last 40-50 minutes and require only one flight to target,
  • Objective must be placed inside the boundaries of the play area,
  • Make it look cool as hell, but not hinder performance; 1-2 grounds smokes  are okay, but 50 isn't. However, lots and lots of static objects are okay!
  • Must save and export **ONLY** the objective as a group. We already have the play area, and all the static objects of the map setup. We only need your objective saved as a group.

Basically, everything listed here is in the included example template. To get your objective into the next Saturday event, you'll need to turn it in by Wednesday at 8pm EST. The more participation we have in objective building the more fun Saturday's event will be. 

What about those tutorial videos series you talked about earlier?

We intend on making some helpful videos for you guys to build your own templates. Our first phase of videos will cover:

• importing the play area base template
  • removing my vehicle entities
  • replacing said vehicle entities with your own cool stuff
  • connecting up your cool stuff to the on attack group, and the damage display switch
  • renaming any icons and setting up subtitles
  • adding your own invincible plane and testing it out in single player
  • adding cool static objects to make your objective pop
  • exporting your objective correctly

BONUS (nice to haves):

• adding checkzone enabled effects (smoke, siren, flares, etc)
  • making AAA shoot at bad guys but be fair
  • making icons appear as a vehicles move around on the map

Some of these topics have been covered already in JimTM's Mission Editor GuidePrangster's Mission Building GuideVapor's Youtube Tutorial Series, and in some of my own Youtube videos

TLDR: To sum up, you now have everything you need, aside from tutorial videos (which are coming very soon), to make your own objectives. If you need any help while you're working on your own objectives, message me or Vapor. I'm pretty much on here and Discord 24/7. I'm super excited to see what you guys make, and I can't wait to get shot down while checking out your objective. 😄 

Our first Saturday event will be March 30th at 2pm EST. This gives you mission designers two weeks time to build your first objective template and get in the very first community built cooperative campaign.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
clarity
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Leon_Portier said:

Sooo basically its, you submit a map to be played in a event?

Not a map, or even a complete mission. Just a small part of the mission... The thing you want 'attacked'!

Posted (edited)

Okay as promised here are the first phase of tutorial videos for creating your own objective, as well as the basic templates needed to make it as simple as possible.

First up, the templates used:

Damage Display Template.zip

On Attacked Message Template.zip

Input and Output Template.zip

Simple AAA Template.zip

Now for the videos... (Each of these videos are less than 10 minutes long... Many less than five minutes too!)

As always, if you need help with building your objectives just shoot me a message, or reply to this thread. Let's see what you guys build!

Edited by [TWB]Sketch-
  • Upvote 2

I always learn something watching someone else work with their IDE (in this case the mission editor). Did not know you could do Selected Object Menu > Add OnKilled (etc). Will save me a bunch of time in future. Thanks!

Also that there's a mini map somewhere in a menu option. Also that you can somehow drag items and move the map too -- I find I do this accidentally but haven't figured out how it really works. I do a lot of select - drag to edge - drag map - drag item - drag map - drag item and it looks like you're doing a more fluid thing where the item stays dragged while you move the map.

Extra question @[TWB]Sketch- - when you are adding static objects, you're not creating linked entities (since they aren't objectives and you don't need OnX reporting) but you're also leaving them as the neutral country. I was under the impression that I needed to make them linked entities, then set Coalition, then unlink, in order to avoid "friendly fire" problems on neutral objects. Am I wrong on this if the objects are not linked entities? That would also save me some time in future.

Posted (edited)

If the static objects are neutral, then they won't report friendly fire to either country. Basically, the static objects are there for 'pretty' and nothing more. 

It's part of the illusion, see? Players think they're destroying a huge base or whatever, but really they're just destroying eight little objects somewhere inside the large base. Helps with performance, and as a designer; I only have to worry about eight objects instead of 100s.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch-

1 hour ago, [TWB]Sketch- said:

If the static objects are neutral, then they won't report friendly fire to either country. Basically, the static objects are there for 'pretty' and nothing more. 

It's part of the illusion, see? Players think they're destroying a huge base or whatever, but really they're just destroying eight little objects somewhere inside the large base. Helps with performance, and as a designer; I only have to worry about eight objects instead of 100s.

Unless something has changed, neutral objects are considered friendly to players and enemy to the AI. So, if you blew up the tower in your oilfield objective, you would get a "fired on a friendly" message. However, I have not tested this in quite awhile, so maybe this behaviour has changed.

I'm impressed with your videos Sketch. Kudos to you and Vapor for designing the templates.  :salute:

I think this is a little miscommunication on my part. I'm pretty certain static objects that are not a linked entity do not give friendly fire messages to players because they're not linked. I misquoted and said they were neutral (because well, they are neutral). Static objects that are linked and are set to neutral will give the friendly fire message.

2 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch- said:

I think this is a little miscommunication on my part. I'm pretty certain static objects that are not a linked entity do not give friendly fire messages to players because they're not linked. I misquoted and said they were neutral (because well, they are neutral). Static objects that are linked and are set to neutral will give the friendly fire message.

Thanks; that makes sense.

Posted (edited)

It seems like we haven't received much of a response from mission designers, so @[Pb]Vapor and I are rescheduling our first event for April 6th at 2pm EDT.

We need mission designers to turn in their groups to me or to Vapor by April 3rd at 6pm EDT.

Edited by No.610_Sketch

Reminder, tonight is the last day to turn in your mission objectives for this Saturday's event! Be sure to get those objectives turned in. You can pm me, Discord me, or post the group here.