JimTM

IL-2 Sturmovik Mission Editor and Multiplayer Server Manual

Hi Everyone,

I'm very pleased to announce the availability of the new "IL-2 Sturmovik Mission Editor and Multiplayer Server Manual" (pre-release edition one) and a package of missions and groups to go with the manual. This has been a spare-time, labour-of-love for me and I am very grateful for the help from many of you in the mission-building community and product development team. A special shout out goes to those documentation authors, mission builders, utility builders, and skin makers who have added so much to the IL-2 Sturmovik community over time. I hope that this latest offering helps to bring even more people into the community.

Pre-Release Edition One, published 2016-11-24

Manual del Editor de Misiones y Servidor Multijugador.pdf

Spanish Translation by -=PHX=-Trenkos, published 2018-06-05

* * * NOTE: Be sure to check the following:
  - Post Changes for IL-2 Sturmovik v 3.0001, which affect some of the editor features
These changes will be included in the next version of the manual.

A mix of English/Spanish missions. Currently, the only Spanish content is a Spanish "readme" file and the mission FMEManualDestroyTwoFactories.

I decided to publish a pre-release edition and "crowd-source" the review. That way, we all get the benefit of a wide range of reviewers, with various experience levels. I don't pretend to be a mission-building guru so please join in and help improve the manual with your issues and feedback.

Please submit any issues and feedback in IL-2 ME and MP Server Manual - Issues. Thanks!

Note: The acknowledgment section is wip right now. I'd like to make sure that everyone who helped me out gets kudos in the manual.

Cheers!

JimTM

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 46

Fantastic work. I am building missions since the release of the mission builder, but lots of the information in the manual is still new to me.

This is EPIC (well it literally is, weighing in at 350 pages), thank you for putting this together!

Awesome, good to finally get to see this as I know you been at this for a while.  What a massive amount of work. Outstanding initiative, and at first glance stellar results! Now to dive in and learn stuff. Thanks Jim!

Brilliant - thankyou very much. Massive coincidence but I've just started on my first tentative steps in using the ME today... and now along comes this! Great timing! Cheers.

Thanks everyone! Over 40 downloads so far. Hopefully we'll get lots of new people building missions for their friends and getting more people interested in IL-2 Sturmovik.  :salute:

Finally it's out, I only had time to have a quick look at the content table, and I must say I'm impressed. Not really surprised, because I noticed you were thorough and patient in your experiments and writing, but impressed nevertheless. :good:

Thanks again folks! Up to 97 downloads now. Great! Remember to post issues while you are using the manual, and help make it better and better.

Cheers!

Jim, if I remember correctly a few month ago you posted information on how to make a ground controller report enemy planes in an area. I can't find this information in your manual. Was it left out?

Jim, if I remember correctly a few month ago you posted information on how to make a ground controller report enemy planes in an area. I can't find this information in your manual. Was it left out?

The last time I tested that function, it had stopped working so I removed the topic from the manual. I can post the topic later on if you want to test it. Maybe it will work again some time.

Great, thanks! I'll put the ground controller topic back in the manual then.

Excellent work JimTM. I remember the early days of BoS when we were told by Devs the ME was too complicated to share to Jo public.

This is nothing short of incredible! Would give 5 thumbs up if I could! outstanding work :salute:

Because I'm curious: How long did it take you to do this?

This is nothing short of incredible! Would give 5 thumbs up if I could! outstanding work :salute:

Because I'm curious: How long did it take you to do this?

Thanks! I really appreciate all the kudos from everyone. Please let me know if you find any issues with the manual or you have any suggestions.

It's hard to say how long I actually worked on the manual and learned to use the editor because it was part-time work, when I wasn't busy with freelance writing and other commitments. However, I first proposed the idea to Jason almost two years ago. Needless to say, it's great to finally have it out there and working for people.

Cheers!

Edited by JimTM

Brilliant work JimTM. I'm learning so much.

Thanks!

Thanks Prangster! Your wonderful guide helped me out in many ways during my journey of learning the editor and multiplayer server. I mentioned earlier that my acknowledgments section is wip but you definitely deserve a place on that list.

Cheers!

Edited by JimTM

Thanks for doing this.

I just downloaded it and will nose dive in it the coming week(s?).

Seriously above and beyond the call of duty, Jim! You must have the patience of Job to tease out all these features and behaviours. Amazing work. :cool:

I think that after Sunday's effort I probably should get studying over the Crimbo break - this is probably just the ticket :)

Seriously above and beyond the call of duty, Jim! You must have the patience of Job to tease out all these features and behaviours. Amazing work. :cool:

Thanks Swallow and everyone! Sometimes I had the patience of Job and other times I had the patience of Jobs. With that in mind, be sure to report any boo-boos and suggestions:salute:

Good grief, just bumped into this. What an amazing work. I hope to finally get learning the FME from January so this will be a great learning and reference tool.

Straight up first impressions:

1. Get someone to do a title page which better matches this epic feat and quality.

2. Nice formatting. 

3. An IL2 legend is born. :-D

S! JimTM

PS You wouldn't happen to know the mission file in equal detail would you? I'd love to have a manual for that (for coding).

3. An IL2 legend is born. :-D

Well, you would know all about that Mr.Nutcase.

Those IL21946 FMB videos you made were the catalyst for my mission building back in the days.

Well, you would know all about that Mr.Nutcase.

Those IL21946 FMB videos you made were the catalyst for my mission building back in the days.

Too awesome. And thanks for mentioning it; it's nice to hear such things. [|':-)

Time to start again from zero; joy and frustration ahead, lol.

[Oh, you're from Noo Zuland/Noiseyland too. Tui-riffic]