[Pb]Vapor

Vapor's Mission Editor Youtube Series

Posted (edited)

I thought it would be handy to create some videos going over the basics of the mission editor, things I have learned and troubles overcome.  This first one is basically a 20+ min overview of the basics but would also like to make a couple more over basic single player and multiplayer maps.

Any how, I hope this helps anyone just starting out with the Mission Editor:

Video over Objects and MCU's in the Mission Editor:

Video over Template creation, you can use the template in any map you wish.  This is specifically a template for a four plane AI patrol that will patrol a given route and engage any hostiles it finds:

Also added a bonus video over the AI patrol template video, it adds some improvements:

Mission Objective templates:

Video going over AAA batteries, keeping in mind system resources...

Edited by FFS_Vapor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 20

Thanks Vapour. I just started but this looks great. I've been working my way through a couple of PDF tutorials but a YouTube one is great and this looks really well done!

Posted (edited)

Added another video over Objects and MCU's.  Made a small mistake in regard to the check zone and attack area height.  You need to adjust the altitude of the "Check zone" and "Attack Area"  MCU's.  This mistake is also mentioned in the video notes.

Edited by FFS_Vapor

Added another video over Objects and MCU's.  Made a small mistake in regard to the check zone and attack area height.  You need to adjust the altitude of the "Check zone" and "Attack Area"  MCU's.  This mistake is also mentioned in the video notes.

Thanks Vapor. Going to set aside some time to watch this one too!

Added two new videos over the creation of AI patrols.  The intent of these videos was to create a template of an AI patrol that could be imported to any map you want.

• Upvote 1

Hi Vapor, nice vids. Thanks for taking the time to make them.

One quick comment on the last one regarding the placement of the Fakefield.

After creating the linked entity, check out the Edit Chart button. You have to edit the taxi waypoints for start and end and you can adjust the runway length to match the airfield exactly.

• Upvote 1

Very nice series Vapour. This should help people a lot.

Cheers!

Thanks Vapour! It's going to take me a while to wrap my head around the second and third videos but that's not your fault. Well done! Will be revisiting them frequently.

Hi Vapor, nice vids. Thanks for taking the time to make them.

One quick comment on the last one regarding the placement of the Fakefield.

After creating the linked entity, check out the Edit Chart button. You have to edit the taxi waypoints for start and end and you can adjust the runway length to match the airfield exactly.

Thanks Jade_Monkey ( and thanks to everyone for the feedback).  I admit I haven't used the return to base much in practice, I was previously only using the Land MCU.  Can you edit that taxi path to be apart from the actual MP spawn?  It would be nice to have your players spawn one place and the AI land in a parallel runway.  I have yet to test this.  I will add a note about this to the video.

I went ahead and tested this.  You can indeed set the Landing path via the "Add/Edit Chart" button apart from the actual spawn.  Pretty handy trick.

I added this to the video, and will probably revisit the topic in a future video:

EDIT: It was pointed out that you can actually also edit the taxi and landing/takeoff path via the "Edit/Add Chart" button in the airfields properties window (not advanced properties.) This is useful because you can have your planes land in a more realistic manner and also set the MP spawn apart from the AI landing path. In single player this isn't as much of an issue, it just makes your AI landings look more accurate and real.

Edited by FFS_Vapor

Also helps with SP if your mission starts from parking, the AI planes will taxi to the runway using this path.

• Upvote 1

Video five added, going over mission objective templates and very basic game mechanics.

Added a sixth video going over AAA done right :)

Cover how to enable an object when your player is near and deactivate when a player moves away from a target.  This can be used with AAA or patrols.

This is going to be hard to get my head around but certainly looking forward to having a play. Thanks for putting this series together, cheers, MP

On 8/12/2018 at 10:04 AM, SCG_DR1FT3R said:

How do you just make the same set of aircraft to respawn after death?

Two popular ways.  First, if it is a single plane you can link it to "respawn" MCU then have the plane trigger that respawn when it dies or is shot down.  You would also want that death trigger to fire your waypoints and the like for that plane.  That method can go on forever.

Second, if you want to have multiple planes that are flying in formation you need to make a "bank" of planes.  Think like a magazine for a gun.  You can not have planes respawn in formation with other planes, sadly.  You have to instead "activate" them.  In my maps I will make a magazine/bank of 10 x 2 plane elements that will fire off the next element when they die.  A picutre would probably make more sense...

image.thumb.png.2ea932dbc41424dd41d0a6f7311ee053.png

• Like 1