AnPetrovich

Developer Diary 217 - Discussion

Attention to detail as usual. Thanks Petrovich and yes, more "insider" vids please. ūüôā

The video gave me a BIG smile. Great work on developing devs tools.

I would kindly thank the dev team for this fantastic work and those yummy DD

Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

The best thing about the update was some solid info and pix from the Arras map...

23 minutes ago, BM357_TinMan said:

For this and other reasons, I do hope that they finish the work on the fuel system management so that we have to control which tank to use on planes that require it and can push a button to see how much fuel remains on planes where this is pertinent.  {and speaking of button pushing, would be nice on the planes that require a toggle to see oil temp, modeling that toggle would be nice too}

oh, and the video was kind of cool

We have a plan to improve the fuel system for this year.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 17

1 minute ago, AnPetrovich said:

:biggrin::salute:

Une fonctionnalité très attendue par la communauté

:dance:

Edited by Pollux

We know )

UPD:

However I must say - please, don't expect from us a high-detailed level of fuel systems for all airplanes, like a "professional simulator of cockpit procedures". We are going to develop just some really important features, that could increase the interest in the gameplay, nothing more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11
  • Upvote 8

1 minute ago, AnPetrovich said:

Awesome!
And thanks for the reply

I’m so glad I bought flying circus!! This gets me hyped for the new contest. Honestly, IL 2 team is the best flight sim team out there!! Thanks for the hard work!!  More silly vids !!!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I love to see the horses and cows.
The environment got so realistic that it asked for this kind of detail. It gives live and believability to the world.
Super cool!

Jeez guys … Don't you ever sleep? :crazy:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

We know )

UPD:

However I must say - don't expect from us a high-detailed level of fuel systems for all airplanes, like a "professional simulator of cockpit procedures". We are going to develop just some really important features, that could increase the interest in the gameplay, nothing more.

Just selecting tanks for filling them up in the loadout section as well as a tank selector switch in cockpit will do.

On multi engine planes, you dont even need to do this as the sequence of filling tanks is usually standardized, same as drawing fuel from them in flight. CG changes are not as important as in fighters, where you get away with a simpler way to model fuel systems.

But it would be nice having to trim for rolling the P-51 if you just fly on one wing tank alone, things like that.

For most planes, I do not see much need for adding much functinality regarding fuel management, but especially the American planes have large tanks that affect the CG and flight performance there should be the funtionality. If you cannot do the right thing there, you have little hope in trading blows with airplane that just carry a something like single bottle of fuel like the 109.

For the first time was recreated the famous mating dance of camels Britishūüź™

Edited by II/JG17_Furias
wrong type

I've climbed that tower at Arras, and also went down into the caves below -  which was a rather surreal experience. Amongst the WW1 references was a modern art installation (that wouldn't have looked out of place on the Clangers' planet) accompanied by the theme tune from 'Futurama'.

Nice update + great news about the improved fuel management. :drinks:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Just selecting tanks for filling them up in the loadout section as well as a tank selector switch in cockpit will do.

On multi engine planes, you dont even need to do this as the sequence of filling tanks is usually standardized, same as drawing fuel from them in flight. CG changes are not as important as in fighters, where you get away with a simpler way to model fuel systems.

But it would be nice having to trim for rolling the P-51 if you just fly on one wing tank alone, things like that.

For most planes, I do not see much need for adding much functinality regarding fuel management, but especially the American planes have large tanks that affect the CG and flight performance there should be the funtionality. If you cannot do the right thing there, you have little hope in trading blows with airplane that just carry a something like single bottle of fuel like the 109.

Petrovich is just setting expectations as players dream sometimes of super complex things we may or may not do. We want to have a more complex fuel system that includes drop tanks etc. but it's not what we are actively building at the moment. Petrovich just wanted you to know that we will have a more complex fuel system that will be realistic, but fit within our design philosophy. Let's see how that development goes before we promise too much or comment further to not confuse anyone. We'll speak more about it later in the year.

Jason  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Upvote 9

I really hope the P-51D gets 150oct fuel and is able to use MP settings of 72‚ÄĚHg or 75‚ÄĚHg. This was standard from June 1944 and onward and would allow the P-51 to be very competitive with the K-4 and D-9. The 67‚ÄĚHg P-51D would be relatively underpowered, I‚Äôm afraid.

• Like 2

It still sounds very promising. And droppable fuel tanks would already be music to my ears. I stay curious!

SD_04.jpg

Jiminey Cricket there are a lot of guns on that Dolphin!! 

Thanks, great job like always, hoping for the Tempest also... but I am never satisfied. Thanks. :salute:

The graphics in IL*2 Sturmovic never ceases to amaze me. You people are are talent +. Well done. 

Not to belabor the fuel system discussion, but even something as simple as 50%(or whatever percentage of total it held) or less fuel taken would keep the P51 fuselage tank empty, would be a good solution.  I have no issue really with the current model on the A20 of the fuel gauge switching automatically to show the level in all tanks in sequence.

Thanks again for all the great work.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

Ha! Ha! I think I may have experienced all bar one of those undercarriage collapses in the Camel!! GREAT work as ever guys and thankyou!!

Cannot wait for the Mustang! And looks like I'll have to buy 'Flying Circus' soon.

Do you guys plan to support tessellation to make the surfaces look more smooth and realistic? 

Great job! @AnPetrovich, just like the loose locknuts @Elem pointed out, there is something else about the Dolphin that's always bugged me: the position of the Aldis sight is too high. The way it is modeled here and in Rise of Flight was on 1 or 2 prototypes. In reality, production machines had the sight fitted through the windscreen, below the bar:

sopwith-5f1-dolphin-cockpit-9887767.jpg

SD_03.jpg

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, AnPetrovich said:

I'm extremely glad to hear that!

In my opinion this is a must checking how much fuel you have left with a push button or having properly modeled fuel tanks that don't all leak from one side...etc

Would love to see livestock added to Bodenplatte.

@ZachariasX The P-51 would still work ok with the current implementation. If i'm correct currently in the P-40 and P-47 the fuselage auxiliary tank is the last one to fill up when selecting fuel amount, and the first one to be emptied when operating the plane.

1 hour ago, sonnykims said:

The graphics in IL*2 Sturmovic never ceases to amaze me. You people are are talent +. Well done. 

Second that!!!  

P-51D soon.... drool...

Can't wait for the DVII and the Dolphin. Everything is looking good. Enjoyed the Camel test and would like to see more testing tool vids. On a serious note, those cows are about 10CMs to long, and I have to think this will effect there WM quite adversely. Keep up the good work!

S!Blade<><

As I watched the Sopwith Camel Video i couldn't help but thinking about Doing the Hokey-Pokey...and of course immediately humming the song as the Camel seemed to begyrating along to the tune...

giphy (2).gif

Just now, unreasonable said:

The only concern I have about this DD is that Arras in 1917-18 looked more like the Stalingrad map than what we see in the DD's pictures.  It was very badly damaged. I hope the final product incorporates this. For example:

https://www.alamy.com/arras-1917-image65977617.html

Yup same goes for bodenplatte.

Hopefully most buildings are placeholders while damaged buildings are being modeled.

I am so happy to get some news about our BoBp planes, Dora,¬†Mustang etc. Maybe a little more on where the map stands would also be nice, with some pictures. Maybe next week ūüôā¬†?

I loved the funny Landing Gear Dance. The physics are excellent with elasticity and deformation very well simulated. Magnifico ! 

Just really hoping for the 150 octane. Allies need something to close the gap in multi-player. 

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, AH_Hollywood said:

P-51D soon.... drool...

I'd only drool if the B or C version with or without the malcolm hood was coming.

The teardrop canopy on the D version does nothing for me...