AnPetrovich

Developer Diary 217 - Discussion

On 2/22/2019 at 3:49 PM, AnPetrovich said:

We know )

UPD:

However I must say - please, don't expect from us a high-detailed level of fuel systems for all airplanes, like a "professional simulator of cockpit procedures". We are going to develop just some really important features, that could increase the interest in the gameplay, nothing more.

Of course, i think jettison dropped fuel tanks, are necessary as well as trimming the rudder, elevator and aileron in one axis, it burns me.Thanks for your work.

Peter

i'm hungry for P-51

4 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

But it is still there in FC?

Strange that... if it has been pointed out that people think it is historically wrong, and it hasn't been changed perhaps due to limitations within the game, the only other things I can think of is as already stated, they didn't want to make the alterations, or they believe their version is the more historical one... 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Strange that... if it has been pointed out that people think it is historically wrong, and it hasn't been changed perhaps due to limitations within the game, the only other things I can think of is as already stated, they didn't want to make the alterations, or they believe their version is the more historical one... 

Is a bit odd. The Hendon refurb example has the Aldis set through the centre of the small windshield while the pic of it on top of the bar was supposed to be an early test mock-up. This makes sense as the pilot head- / eye-line is aupposed to be below the wing.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, Uufflakke said:

The landmarks of Arras - Beffroi  and Hôtel de Ville- are based on post WWI situation and not pre WWI. :ph34r:

Beffroi - Arras.jpg

Not only is the FC Town Hall modelled on the rebuilt version but the tower appears to have lost an entire storey.

This is not Downtown Simulator, its just a landmark to fly over. Let's not shred it to pieces now.

Having said that, its weird that they missed those details.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:35 AM, Uufflakke said:

Well, actually houses on the square 'Petite Place' in Arras look different and are made of a yellowish and red brickstone. As can be seen in the pre-WWI images and colour images after the rebuilt of center.

https://www.geneanet.org/gallery/file/1/1b/f5/8132531/normal.jpg

I suppose the team created more generic buildings/houseblocks which can be used all over the map. Maybe it has to do with money/budget/deadlines that these specific houses are not created. The houseblock left of Grand Place is exactly the same as the block on the opposite side by the way.

But I can live with that. I was so pleasantly surprised to see how they made the city that I ordered Flying Circus a couple of minutes ago.

(While I am  rather ignorant about WWI and its planes.)

Reading it back, my post did come across as being quite negative in tone. Sorry about that, it wasn't intentional. I should have also said that it's fantastic that the team are taking the time to recreate as near as possible the actual town layout and landmarks. Thanks for sharing that photo BTW.

My comments about how it should be "dirtier" were based off photos my grandfather took whilst serving in France with the RAF in 1918-19. You can see some of them in THIS thread on the ROF forums if you're interested in that type of thing. 😀

Flying Circus needs bombers and spotters. Scouts were created to shoot down bombers and spotters, not dogfight for the sake of it.

2 hours ago, beresford said:

Flying Circus needs bombers and spotters. Scouts were created to shoot down bombers and spotters, not dogfight for the sake of it.

It's long been known that 2 two-seaters are part of the first planeset. 

2 hours ago, beresford said:

not dogfight for the sake of it.

Makes you wonder why they ever shot fighters in the first place, huh?

It's the Halberstadt Cl.II for the Germans, right? Managed to completely forget that. Only remembered about the Bristol Fighter. 

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

Makes you wonder why they ever shot fighters in the first place, huh?

He has a point from one perspective, in that the scouts were there to aid the work of the other a/c rather than in a role for their own sake.

Hopefully if FC makes enough to warrant another 'FC2' they will concentrate on the main recce/arty spotting aeroplanes.

Set in 1917 'Bloody April'...

I admittedly don't fly the WW1 kites as often as the WW2 birds, but the Bristol may change that.  It's my second favorite WW1 aeroplane (after the Sopwith Tripe), and I love their cars as well.

1 hour ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

He has a point from one perspective, in that the scouts were there to aid the work of the other a/c rather than in a role for their own sake.

True, but I was being sarcastic having the tone of a certain MvR in mind, basically saying that if it flies, he‘ll shoot it and mainly so in the order of appearance than anything else. Priorities...

8 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

True, but I was being sarcastic having the tone of a certain MvR in mind, basically saying that if it flies, he‘ll shoot it and mainly so in the order of appearance than anything else. Priorities...

Indeed, but he started flying in recce a/c as these were the actual important missions 🙂

Can the Dolphin have that silly bit of tat directly behind the pilot removed???

What ever it is It really obscures rearward vision.

Just saying!!!

1219834856_Dolphinrearvisionobscurationdevice.thumb.jpg.23fc8e508b0d8df2f12293058c9a11b0.jpg

It's the worst part of flying the dolphin bar it's mediocre performance...

Salute!

Plank. ( Yes I know I don't FC yet but I did give one copy away so go figure. )

PS. The Dolph is pretty good at defending the AF from marauding Gothas, with the extra guns, which is a point in it's favour at least....

Edited by Plank

I have been looking through a few sources (though my Osprey Dolphin book is a long way away in box): I cannot find anything saying that it had poor performance (seemed close to SE and SPAD XIII in most respects) nor that it had any vices like the strange RoF spin. Just brought Willie Fry’s book to see what he thought of it in 1918.

9 hours ago, Plank said:

Can the Dolphin have that silly bit of tat directly behind the pilot removed???

What ever it is It really obscures rearward vision.

Just saying!!!

1219834856_Dolphinrearvisionobscurationdevice.thumb.jpg.23fc8e508b0d8df2f12293058c9a11b0.jpg

It's the worst part of flying the dolphin bar it's mediocre performance...

Salute!

Plank. ( Yes I know I don't FC yet but I did give one copy away so go figure. )

PS. The Dolph is pretty good at defending the AF from marauding Gothas, with the extra guns, which is a point in it's favour at least....

That fitting was more common than a big bag of common things...

1-HN-Ac-kits-Wingnut-Wings-Sopwith-5-F-1

Dolphin1.jpg

Dolphin2.jpg

Dolphin4.jpg

Dolphin5.jpg

Dolphin6.jpg

• Haha 1

That fitting was more common than a big bag of common things...

The pic of the guy looking back at the camera is sitting up quite high in the seat, I think, given the position of the [standard] Aldis fitting.Looks like that canvas flap was more or less the back of the head-rest with the eyes at / just below the wing-line.

One thing's for sure, the flipper will be a good flamer as well with the tank in the back. Flamin' Flipper.

It is still an abomination..

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Plank said:

It's the worst part of flying the dolphin bar it's mediocre performance

For me it was always the spin.

The dolphin rear vision obscurator.

Due to the way video game vision operates and the inherent distortion we all have learned to live with, sigh,

things close up block WAY more FOV than IRL. Way more. ( Ignore the reality if you like but don't argue.)

So in removing the silly bit of material that is directly behind the Dolph pilot we mitigate some of the

effect of the video games artificial vision issues.

Sure it's not "historically correct" but then a video game is but a facsimile of the real thing,

and won't every be 100% real, ever. 

3D game vision is cheap and nasty. It's archaic and so widely used it will only be changed

when someone makes a really good game with a better system. Then everyone will jump ship.

If the real thing has features which are not compatible with the 3D game vision... well that is tough.

( in real life no one ever had most of their FOV compromised by a one inch strut a foot away)

What about visual foreshortening ? It's only a basic fundamental 13 year old technical drawing student's learning but ...

completely ignored in 3D modeling. ( I guess the first 3D programmers never excelled at tech drawing...)

Any real pilot who had to struggle with what we have to would remove the blinking thing in seconds, no question.

So, just to give the Dolph back some actual tiny advantage gain lets just do away with the stupid bit of rag!

Heck. And while your at it can we have hecking iron sights for pistols? And range them for 100yards at least!

Salute!

Planky.

• Confused 1

Whenever dev. 1C team will not start to -really-  improve A.I. of this flightsim this is just another boring D.D. edition x me.😫

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, EAF_51_FOX said:

Whenever dev. 1C team will not start to -really-  improve A.I. of this flightsim this is just another boring D.D. edition x me.😫

Called Mutiplayer

On 2/26/2019 at 6:29 PM, Plank said:

The dolphin rear vision obscurator.

Due to the way video game vision operates and the inherent distortion we all have learned to live with, sigh,

things close up block WAY more FOV than IRL. Way more. ( Ignore the reality if you like but don't argue.)

So in removing the silly bit of material that is directly behind the Dolph pilot we mitigate some of the

effect of the video games artificial vision issues.

Sure it's not "historically correct" but then a video game is but a facsimile of the real thing,

and won't every be 100% real, ever. 

3D game vision is cheap and nasty. It's archaic and so widely used it will only be changed

when someone makes a really good game with a better system. Then everyone will jump ship.

If the real thing has features which are not compatible with the 3D game vision... well that is tough.

( in real life no one ever had most of their FOV compromised by a one inch strut a foot away)

What about visual foreshortening ? It's only a basic fundamental 13 year old technical drawing student's learning but ...

completely ignored in 3D modeling. ( I guess the first 3D programmers never excelled at tech drawing...)

Any real pilot who had to struggle with what we have to would remove the blinking thing in seconds, no question.

So, just to give the Dolph back some actual tiny advantage gain lets just do away with the stupid bit of rag!

Heck. And while your at it can we have hecking iron sights for pistols? And range them for 100yards at least!

Salute!

Planky.

It's already here it's called VR. Turns planes like the p-39 from a coffin to a decent SA plane.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

It's already here it's called VR. Turns planes like the p-39 from a coffin to a decent SA plane.

Withe current Rift VR I can't turn around that much anyhow ...in other words I'll never see it or for that matter rather more importantly no Hun D-VII bus on mt tail...😳

On 3/1/2019 at 2:02 AM, JonRedcorn said:

My good chap,

Never having tried VR I am not able to comment on it.

Essentially some of the problems in normal 3D in real time rendering are just

low tech nonsense that should have been fixed ages ago ie:

"things on the edges of the frame are bigger" being one of them.

That sort of problem is just slack engineering.

Also I can imagine that "real" stereoscopic vision should mitigate the

"a blinking pencil is blocking my whole FOV" problem.... but I have not tested it myself.

The whole point though is that ANTHING close up will block a @#$% ton of FOV

due to the whole flat picture plane conundrum and so a little bit of utterly useless cobblers

on the DOLPHIN will A) not add anything to the usability of the plane and B) block a huge chunk of rear view.

So we could rip it off and fly safe in the knowledge that if needs be we can whip about and check out six.

Not, whip about and then peer past either side of said bit of tat. ...

but hey... I am only speaking from boring old head tracking experience...

Salute!

Planky.