-[HRAF]BubiHUN

KNIGHTS OF THE AIR Multiplayer Server

2 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I think you are missing the point. It does not matter what you do with the dead engine, the PE2 has barely enough power to sustain level flight on one engine so while it will get you home,  it will prove very tricky to land.   I did not say it wont fly on one engine and I am not saying you cannot land on one engine because as long as the other engine continues giving full power I always get home and I always land it. I simply said it "hates flying on one engine".   By contrast, the A20 does not care if it only has one engine.  Even if you lose it on the way to target you can happily continue on and  do your bombing run then fly home  🙂 

No, I got the point. My advice is that if you shutdown the bad engine on the Pe-2 early enough, you still have a chance of restarting it right before you land.  But, you are right that flying and landing a Pe-2 with 1 engine compared to an A20 is quite tricky.

2 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

You can't feather the Pe-2 engines.  What you can do is reduce the damaged engine's RPM to minimum (provided the RPM limiter isn't the engine part that's busted), close the bad engine's radiator flaps and turn off the engine BEFORE it dies.  The prop will 'windmill' a bit during flight, which is not necessarily desirable but, there's a chance of turning the engine back on if it's really needed. Of course, this is all contingent on just how vigorously the RPM gauge is doing the unhappy dance.  A little RPM wobble and lower throttle and RPM settings and keep running... Full-on vodka wobbles - cut RPM and shut down the engine as soon as possible, if possible.   

You know relation between prop pitch and rpm?

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

1 minute ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

You know what are relations between prop pitch and rpm?

If you're asking if I know how the RPM limiter changes the prop pitch to keep it's setting, then yes.  Setting the RPM limiter on the Pe-2 as low as possible changes the prop pitch to an angle that's as close to "feathered" as it can go.

11 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

If you're asking if I know how the RPM limiter changes the prop pitch to keep it's setting, then yes.  Setting the RPM limiter on the Pe-2 as low as possible changes the prop pitch to an angle that's as close to "feathered" as it can go.

Excatly....feathering, not perfect feathering but close enough to feel benefits of it :)

btw i think with prop pitch you control rpm, not otherwise.....rpm is result of changing prop pitch and throttle values.

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

14 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Excatly....feathering, not perfect feathering but close enough to feel benefits of it :)

btw i think prop pitch changes rpm values not otherwise.

I'm not sure. I think that different planes manage prop and rpm a few different ways.  It seems to me that some planes manage prop based on the rpm limit you set and others manage rpm based on the prop angle you set.  An example would be the Pe-2 vs. the P40. 

Perhaps I will start another thread to ask about it. 

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ

9 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

I'm not sure. I think that different planes manage prop and rpm a few different ways.  It seems to me that some planes manage prop based on the rpm limit you set and others manage rpm based on the prop angle you set.  An example would be the Pe-2 vs. the P40. 

Perhaps I will start another thread to ask about it. 

Well i'm far from expert on those old planes, not sure did they had governor

34 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Well i'm far from expert on those old planes, not sure did they had governor

Roger that. I'd like more clarification myself.  I think I'll go ask in a different thread, and let the KOTA thread be the KOTA thread. :salute:

Edit: New thread posted in the Manuals, Guides, and Tips section. 

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ
  • Like 1

Really enjoying the server so far, good job. Last night I came across a few planes (Germans and Russians alike) flying over objectives with their nav lights on, is it common habit on the server, and why would anyone do that? :) Anyway it helped me spot a 110 and a 190 and get a kill on the latter, so not complaining too much. But I like the fact that there's no nav help in this server, and having people signaling the objectives with their nav lights kinds of negates this IMHO... 

Edited by SYN_Ricky
  • Upvote 1

If people want to broadcast giant "please come here and kill me" messages, then I'd say more power to them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wellenbrecher said:

If people want to broadcast giant "please come here and kill me" messages, then I'd say more power to them.

Yeah sure, I just find that to be quite an immersion killer... 

8 hours ago, SYN_Ricky said:

Really enjoying the server so far, good job. Last night I came across a few planes (Germans and Russians alike) flying over objectives with their nav lights on, is it common habit on the server, and why would anyone do that? :) Anyway it helped me spot a 110 and a 190 and get a kill on the latter, so not complaining too much. But I like the fact that there's no nav help in this server, and having people signaling the objectives with their nav lights kinds of negates this IMHO... 

I bet you give them a lesson about that 😄 Most players dont do that, as far as i know.
We are glad you like it.

See you around.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen it very often, but when I do I polity kill them. I think it comes from the encouraged practice of using nav lights while in the airbase area. Some don't do that, or don't do it often, on other servers and try to conform to the norms here and forget that they did it so then haven't turned them off.

3 minutes ago, Disarray said:

iuI haven't seen it very often, but when I do I polity kill them. I think it comes from the encouraged practice of using nav lights while in the airbase area. Some don't do that, or don't do it often, on other servers and try to conform to the norms here and forget that they did it so then haven't turned them off.

I am a bit confused by recent emails on the subject of whether we can attack active airfields or not.  It used to be that using lights in the circuit was encouraged because it signals your intent to land so reduces the chances of someone trying to take off just as you are landing.   When attacking active airfields was forbidden then this was OK but recently they seemed to say it was OK to attack fields.  I am hoping they just meant it was OK to bomb them but not to vulch them.     Of course that does not excuse the people who use navlights when forming up then forget to turn them off 🙂

Can anyone from KOTA confirm exactly what is now allowed?

2 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I am a bit confused by recent emails on the subject of whether we can attack active airfields or not.  It used to be that using lights in the circuit was encouraged because it signals your intent to land so reduces the chances of someone trying to take off just as you are landing.   When attacking active airfields was forbidden then this was OK but recently they seemed to say it was OK to attack fields.  I am hoping they just meant it was OK to bomb them but not to vulch them.     Of course that does not excuse the people who use navlights when forming up then forget to turn them off 🙂

Can anyone from KOTA confirm exactly what is now allowed?

Since the beginning of this year, we have no rules wich forbids that. 
But, we do not support that behavior.

14 hours ago, II/JG11_Terzerole said:

Hallo, nice Server, but:
why did you turn on external view ?

It is ready, but the award system still needs some time. 

BubiHUN. A variant of KubanSummer1944 without the 109K (190D and Tempest), just with "underdogs" would be attractive and very popular. The 109K against Spitfire IX is disproportionate, are versions in different stages the equivalent of Spitfire would be the XIV version. With the Tempest V and P-51 battles involving the 109K and 190D would be very interesting, but the 109K against these other models is disproportionate and eventualy this moves away Red players

19 minutes ago, LUZITANO said:

BubiHUN. A variant of KubanSummer1944 without the 109K (190D and Tempest), just with "underdogs" would be attractive and very popular. The 109K against Spitfire IX is disproportionate, are versions in different stages the equivalent of Spitfire would be the XIV version. With the Tempest V and P-51 battles involving the 109K and 190D would be very interesting, but the 109K against these other models is disproportionate and eventualy this moves away Red players

There is a '43 version of that mission. let me rework it, and it will be in the rotation soon! 🙂 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

Since the beginning of this year, we have no rules wich forbids that. 
But, we do not support that behavior.

So what exactly does"we do not support that behaviour'" mean?    Does it mean 'I would rather you did not do that but nothing will happen if you do'?  or does it mean "If someone sends us evidence of you vulching an airfield then you will be penalised"?

Thank you guys for the flyout yesterday, it was great fun. :fly:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

So what exactly does"we do not support that behaviour'" mean?    Does it mean 'I would rather you did not do that but nothing will happen if you do'?  or does it mean "If someone sends us evidence of you vulching an airfield then you will be penalised"?

I have just found out that something I thought was not possible in IL2 actually is.      You can set the AAA at the airfield to be very deadly but also set it to not spawn until a specified number of minutes after an enemy enters the area then 10 minutes later switch off again and reset for the next enemy.  That way you can allow an enemy bomber or fighter bomber a short time, eg 1 minute, to get in fast, drop its bombs and get out of range again before the guns wake up and kill it but the enemy cannot come back for a second attack or to vulch for another ten minutes by which time some defenders should have taken off and climbed to a good height defended by the guns to defend the field from further attacks.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

No they wont be penalized for doing it.

Edited by -[HRAF]BubiHUN

8 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I have just found out that something I thought was not possible in IL2 actually is.      You can set the AAA at the airfield to be very deadly but also set it to not spawn until a specified number of minutes after an enemy enters the area then 10 minutes later switch off again and reset for the next enemy.  That way you can allow an enemy bomber or fighter bomber a short time, eg 1 minute, to get in fast, drop its bombs and get out of range again before the guns wake up and kill it but the enemy cannot come back for a second attack or to vulch for another ten minutes by which time some defenders should have taken off and climbed to a good height defended by the guns to defend the field from further attacks.

Give a good player a Yak-7 or 109 F series and 1 minute of 'free' no-AAA time over an airfield, and you'll see an airfield that's been totally stripped of AAA. 

9 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Give a good player a Yak-7 or 109 F series and 1 minute of 'free' no-AAA time over an airfield, and you'll see an airfield that's been totally stripped of AAA. 

Rubbish, 🙂, because that minute starts when even a flat out 190 is 20 seconds out from the airfield airfield and when it ends you die if you have not got out of range of the  guns, good luck doing that  when you are throwing away all your speed to make multiple passes!,   but lets ignore that specific time because that was just an example.   The idea is to set the trigger range and the spawn delay such that a fighter or bomber going reasonably fast, eg 400kph,  has just enough time to cross the airfield without deviating and be mostly out of range of the nearest guns before the Ace gunners start firing.   You could possibly set it up so the attacker would need to dive in and be doing nearer to 600kph to be safe but I don't want to discourage people (like me 😋) that enjoy doing raids at treetops.   You could not really go higher than 400 for  Kuban maps with 190s and Yak7s because people will still be bombing with He111s and IL2s which barely reach 400 at sea level but even with those faster fighters I doubt they would have time to scrub off all their speed in order to make a second pass and still get out of lethal range before the Ace level guns open up and kill them.

16 x AAA + 6 x FLAK Around Spawn AF.
All set to Ace skill.
All Set To Max Detection Range.
Also Indestructible with guns or cannons.

Would be the best idea 😄 

So much extra stuff for the already struggling DServer shite to do in the background just so people don't have to watch out which AFs are under attack when spawning in... 😕

• Upvote 2

Our statistic website is back online, with the award system! 
Please, keep in mind there could be some problems with the award pictures, they will be fixed as soon as possible!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, wellenbrecher said:

So much extra stuff for the already struggling DServer shite to do in the background just so people don't have to watch out which AFs are under attack when spawning in... 😕

Not really.  The airfields already have AAA.  All that would change is that the AAA would be stronger but would not spawn until X seconds after someone gets in range.   Not spawning until someone is in range is something most servers do anyway because it *reduces* the load on the server.      As for people being too stupid to spawn from a different field,  we usually only have one bomber base and two fighter bases!  It is quite easy for one side to sit over *all* your fighter bases (ie both  🙂 )

I have just been on the pre-boddenplatte winter fantasy map and had to leave your server because the map is bloody awful and I won't be flying it again. You should change it to Spring or Autumn map as there was hardly ever so much snow around to make it total white out conditions in real life on the western front, and when it was, aircraft were grounded 99% of the time.

Here is a real image of Metz airfield after it was attacked in Operation Boddenplatte, and these conditions are typical of war on the west front in "snowy" conditions when aircraft were able to operate.

Metz_Airfield_-_Destroyed_P-47s_Operation_Bodenplatte.jpg

Edited by 334th_KMA

29 minutes ago, 334th_KMA said:

I have just been on the pre-boddenplatte winter fantasy map and had to leave your server because the map is bloody awful and I won't be flying it again. You should change it to Spring or Autumn map as there was hardly ever so much snow around to make it total white out conditions in real life on the western front, and when it was, aircraft were grounded 99% of the time.

Here is a real image of Metz airfield after it was attacked in Operation Boddenplatte, and these conditions are typical of war on the west front in "snowy" conditions when aircraft were able to operate.

Yeah, Moscow map in winter conditions is really challanging. It is frustrating even for me to navigate trough those fileds. 
I think I will rework it in the next few days.

Edited by -[HRAF]BubiHUN

I have not problem to navigate but since last update I've been recieved the "lost connection" error. =(

That is really frustrating :(

Edited by 3./JG15_HansPhilipp

36 minutes ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

Yeah, Moscow map in winter conditions is really challanging. It is frustrating even for me to navigate trough those fileds. 
I think I will rework it in the next few days.

Edited 29 minutes ago by -[HRAF]BubiHUN

I think that's going to please a lot of people. Nice to know you are willing to have open ears when players find issues with the maps. Thank you.
On the whole I think your maps are very good.

I flew it last night too on a few sorties getting incredibly frustrated and other people were saying the same thing in server chat. My last sortie I was flying around for 45 mins not knowing where I was and ended up ditching in a field after I ran out of fuel.

1 hour ago, 334th_KMA said:

I actually enjoyed that map a lot, it was like a little teaser of boddenplate. As for the snow you are aware that winter 44-45 was one of the coldest in belgium. This is a quote of an american soldier who participated in the battle of the bulge and onwards " Much of the battle was affected by the weather. Great snowstorms were a big problem. Trucks had to be run every half hour to keep the oil in them from freezing. Weapons froze, so men urinated on them to thaw them. The temperature during January 1945 was the coldest on record, and casualties from exposure to the cold grew as large as the losses from fighting. The Germans attacked in white uniforms to blend in with the snow.." I don't see how the spring map will make it more realistic (the snow is supposed to be patchy but having no snow is just worse)

36 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

I actually enjoyed that map a lot, it was like a little teaser of boddenplate. As for the snow you are aware that winter 44-45 was one of the coldest in belgium. This is a quote of an american soldier who participated in the battle of the bulge and onwards " Much of the battle was affected by the weather. Great snowstorms were a big problem. Trucks had to be run every half hour to keep the oil in them from freezing. Weapons froze, so men urinated on them to thaw them. The temperature during January 1945 was the coldest on record, and casualties from exposure to the cold grew as large as the losses from fighting. The Germans attacked in white uniforms to blend in with the snow.." I don't see how the spring map will make it more realistic (the snow is supposed to be patchy but having no snow is just worse)

Not having flown any Moscow or Stalingrad maps, I wouldn't know if Spring or Autumn would be any better, but at least navigating might be easier.
I could, if I was here to argue, drag up dozens upon dozens of squadron histories showing the numbers of flying days lost and missions scrubbed for Allied squadrons during Winter due to weather conditions throughout the entire war, which in itself would be more relevant to a flight sim than a quote from ground troops. The effects on the ability of aircraft operations are different to those for Mechanised ground forces or infantry.

If you're saying Moscow is a crap map anyway, I'll probably let you be the judge of that. I'm not really interested in those maps in any case. I only got this sim after Pacific was scrapped and development of West front was announced.

The whole point of my comment was to let the server owners know my feelings, the feelings of my entire squadron, and the feelings of many other experienced sim pilots as evidenced by what was said in chat on the map, not to start an argument with another user. Sometimes you have to compromise on mission building for the sake of the masses rather than individuals in terms of playability.

As a former server admin in a previous sim, I recognise what makes people come to a server, and can recognise what drives them away. The player numbers on the server being so low on that map is a clear indicator the majority of people do not like it, especially when the server is usually full. People vote with their feet.

Edited by 334th_KMA

You do understand that cold ≠ snow right? What causes snow is moisture in the air (rain). So 1st accounts from a US GI from Southern part of USA isn't something I would hang my hat on as being onpoint when it comes to historic weather in europe.

Above is another shot from that day and the snow cover on the ground matches the 1st picture. This means that for the developers to get the map textures correct, the terrain will not be a dense with snow as russia.

Image result for operation bodenplatte

But! There is a cavaute - snow melt depends on several factors as well, as you can see from the picture above of  IV Gruppe JG 53 late model 109 brought down during Operation Bodenplatte on January The pilot, Gefreiter Alfred Michel, was on his first and last mission.

KoA is a very good server - I don't fly it much because I like to make recordings and they turned that functionality off. However, plenty of others like is so no big deal. Certain  maps are hit and miss on all servers. Example, I dislike all WoL maps that disable the removal of the bulletproof hood  mod so I just don't fly with they rotate in. If I were you - just pop in on other maps and you maybe presently surprised. 

The Moscow map is the hardest to navigate in regardless of weather, maybe with the exclusion of the very southern bits of the original Stalingrad one.

But yeah, winter on the Moscow one means guiding yourself from town to town and knowing the location and layout of some few key location beforehand. Some of the towns have really cool unique shapes that help a ton with finding your way. As does the large lake area to the north and certain very visible town/airfield combinations in general.

(Imagine pre-dawn, dense fog and winter on the Moscow map as happened regularly early last year on the Finnish server. Now those were sorties...😁)

2 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

You do understand that cold ≠ snow right? What causes snow is moisture in the air (rain). So 1st accounts from a US GI from Southern part of USA isn't something I would hang my hat on as being onpoint when it comes to historic weather in europe.

Above is another shot from that day and the snow cover on the ground matches the 1st picture. This means that for the developers to get the map textures correct, the terrain will not be a dense with snow as russia.

But! There is a cavaute - snow melt depends on several factors as well, as you can see from the picture above of  IV Gruppe JG 53 late model 109 brought down during Operation Bodenplatte on January The pilot, Gefreiter Alfred Michel, was on his first and last mission.

KoA is a very good server - I don't fly it much because I like to make recordings and they turned that functionality off. However, plenty of others like is so no big deal. Certain  maps are hit and miss on all servers. Example, I dislike all WoL maps that disable the removal of the bulletproof hood  mod so I just don't fly with they rotate in. If I were you - just pop in on other maps and you maybe presently surprised. 

Went I meant is I rather have a lot of snow than no snow to represent bottenplate in an eastern theatre map.

3 hours ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

I like to make recordings and they turned that functionality off.

Only Tacview is off right now. You can still make records with the key Lctrl+R

I had no issues navigating the pre-BoBP fantasy map - in fact following landmarks and raillines was part of the fun.

We even joked on Discord about our differing "skills" when being lost on the map after an engagement (well.. the others.. my engagements tend to be very very brief... and end in a certain way :) ) and then looking for distinctive towns and other marks and piecing your location together made the game better than it is.

Same goes for the variable weather patterns (finally) and especially the night/dawn mission.. all the searchlights, twilight navigation, airfield ops with all planes running all lights.. this makes the game far more interesting and fun - despite its myriad of technical issues for multiplayer... and way more rewarding (even for target drones such as myself) than the usual no-brain-CallofDuty-GPS-central-grindzone-in-perfect-conditions we had to deal with for years.

Especially since it gives both sides the added layers of actual SaD, of attackers slipping through.. or not.. of deciding whether you can interecept when a target gets attacked.

I hope that as new BoBP content becomes available (aka Tempest, Mustang, Lighting aso) the population will continue to grow/even out... and attract even more players interested in a more diversified experience.. they do exist.
Of course we are in a role we should not be in.. aka this game forces players to bear the mantle of gamemaster.. and we all too easily give in to our subjectivity and cognitive dissonances about the preferred pacing and loop experience... so be carefull with the concessions.. a stable server population takes time to grow (just as the technical difficulties take time to overcome.. especially given the tools our gamemasters have to suffer in).

So thanks again to HRAF for giving so many of us a place to enjoy this game again!

Also.. that guy looks oddly familiar...

1.jpg

Edited by RogoRogo
typos.. oh so many typos...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2