BlackHellHound1

A complete guide to set up Head-tracking (Opentrack)

Posted (edited)

@BlackHellHound1

Yep, I set the CL eye settings according to your guide and fumbled around on them too. The Guides settings are the best even with IR filter still intact.

Ended up removing the Cams IR filter and installing the floppy disk IR Pass, the difference is night and day!

With the floppy IR pass, the IR LEDs are very visible and it tracks marvelously now!

There are also 2 things I had to figure out the hard way:

1.) The clip is meant to be mounted vertically only, if its mounted horizontally the tracker gets confused. But with Dynamic pose enabled it bearable.

2.) There is a reason the middle LED has to be closer to the the one on the short stick than the long one lmao

Now the final question is how to mount it elegantly on the Headphones, duct tape keeps coming off, gonna try hot glue later.

977328249_Ducttape.thumb.jpg.8740769554bb4da0cb7d24176533333b.jpg

Edited by [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

41 minutes ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

With the floppy IR pass, the IR LEDs are very visible and it tracks marvelously now!

Now the final question is how to mount it elegantly on the Headphones, duct tape keeps coming off, gonna try hot glue later.

Great to hear you got the camera sorted. 

As for a mounting solution. Try to get some velcro. I used it for a long time and worked really well. 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

• Like 1

Like BlackHellHound said, velcro works pretty good. Another way could be a couple of zip ties.

Posted (edited)

@No_85_Gramps @BlackHellHound1

Velcro was a issue, since the ear muff of the headphone was just curved enough to keep flopping around.

Ended up opening fire on the clip and headphone with the hot glue pistol, seems to stick pretty well the last few hours.

I think I´m done building the tracker now, thanks for all the help you two!!!

Edited by [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier
  • Upvote 1

I have one that is also glued for the same reason. Somewhat permanent, but whatever works!

Greetings my fellow pilots and big thanks to @BlackHellHound1 for his detailed guide. I want to ask a question because I have very little to no knowledge and I'm new into Flight Simulators. Just few days ago I bought my first joystick ever and this morning I've downloaded Il2 BoS from the website and now I want to get myself a TrackIR. So I will appreciate if someone can just confirm (yes/no) that this one is good to go: "S18 - OpenTrack Camera (PS3 eye) + IR Track Clip Pro Head Tracking" / for $55. Everything is new to me and a bit overwhelming so it would mean a lot. Thanks, guys.

20190912_121746.png

@Zyklon

I dont know the seller so that is your risk to take. If you want to buy from a reputable seller, then go with TrackHat or DelanClip. I can guarantee those two are trustworthy. 

That said: from the images, it looks like it is a complete setup and should get you up and running quickly. 

BlackHellHound1

• Like 1

@BlackHellHound1

I was so excited (still am!) and I wanted to get myself a HeadTrack device right away so I've just typed it in e-bay search box and went with the first item haha. The Il2 BoS is amazing simulator and I'm fascinated and I really love it and until now I've only played WT (mose and keyboard) which was a poor substitute to the closest thing to flying War Birds. So I will most definitely go with DelanClip Gamer. I know that it can be flown with out the HeadTrack (hat switch / Num Lock) but I think it lacks the "depth" which X, Y and Z axis of the HeadTrack provide. Thank you again, my friend, I really appreciate it!

great article .

Edited by dog1

On 9/14/2019 at 12:03 AM, BlackHellHound1 said:

it looks like it is a complete setup and should get you up and running quickly. 

In fact it looks pretty much like the TrackHat clip, doesn't it?

35 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

In fact it looks pretty much like the TrackHat clip, doesn't it?

Very similar but not the same. Looks like either a predecessor or rip-off. But the TrackHat Clip itself is an evolution of various home made tracking clips. 

1 hour ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

But the TrackHat Clip itself is an evolution of various home made tracking clips. 

Yeah. You can tell. I've got one meself and I've had it since I started Il-2 and it's absolutely brilliant (and was very cheap). Absolutely NO complaints at all.

Edited by Raptorattacker

just received my first opentrack and was surprised at how easy it was to get going . installed the 2 softwares , velcro , plug in and go . No reduction in FPS  . Need to follow carefully the curves explained above to get it all tuned in to your liking . would like to thank black hell hound for the trouble in writing this extensive article without which i would'nt have dared venture into .   I can now dogfight online with much ease . 

Edited by dog1
  • Like 1

i need help increasing  my view to my left . I have gone over the tutorial but unfortunately its different from what i see in TRACK HAT ,maybe its changed since this article . I cannot adjust the degrees i can turn my head with when in mapping .  what other method can i use to do that ? further the gunsight seems to stick slightly to my left , i have to move my head to have a center , is this normal ?  

4 minutes ago, dog1 said:

i need help increasing  my view to my left . I have gone over the tutorial but unfortunately its different from what i see in TRACK HAT ,maybe its changed since this article . I cannot adjust the degrees i can turn my head with when in mapping .  what other method can i use to do that ? further the gunsight seems to stick slightly to my left , i have to move my head to have a center , is this normal ?  

Is your gunsight also to the left if you have Opentrack turned off?

and secondly, are you using the "TrackHat Opentrack" software or the original Opentrack software?

BlackHellHound1

Black Hell Hound 1

Hello

GUNSIGHT

When in game  online or offline the gunsight starts up perfectly centered and bright . When in Opentrack it moves  to my left . if i move my head to meet the center point then 'm ok but 'm not sitting straight .

Angle of View :

I need to adjust looking to my left only the rest by default is fine . I need to increase the angle to be the same as my right side view . Unfortunately what you show in the tutorial where you can adjust the degrees is not opening  with this model . Not sure which axis it is and how to modify the curve manually .

Brand   I bought this from a reseller in the USA online  , to my surprise it did not come in the HATTRACK blister box as advertised . Just the parts and 2 photocopies for instructions . It certainly looks like the parts from HATRACK looking at images . The eye software is from your link however the link for the Opentrack takes you to a site which does'nt have the software or at least i could'nt trace it in their website , there is abutton to download but nothing happens . so i downloaded HATRACK .

Edited by dog1

The TrackHat Opentrack software is incredibly buggy and should be avoided. I suspect that the TrackHat version of Opentrack is causing the issue. You should uninstall it and switch to the original.

It sounds like you don't know GitHub so let me talk you through it.

That download link in my guide will take you to a GitHub page. On that page, you see several releases of Opentrack. New released on the top of the page, older ones below that.

Scroll down until you see a blue header "Opentrack 2.3.10" (or just click this link).

If you want the same version that I use in the guide. Scroll down more and find "opentrack 2.3.1.5" (or just click this link)

Click on the blue name and scroll down to a section called "Assets". You should find 4 download links in this section. Download the one that ends with .exe. That is your Opentrack installer. Install it. Follow my guide again and that should fix it.

BlackHellHound1

hello

installed the 2.3.1.5   version , did all what needs to be filled or ticked as per tutorial  except mapping , camera , output , relative translation , shortcuts . i did add detection which is just this game  . its not activating in game for some reason though you can see in the image all is functioning  , i did try the trouble shoot with cfg but no changes . Point extraction , i set the slider in the middle , 3  ok , and increased the minimum size to 2.5  max was  at 20 . i dont know how to set it in the day .

opentrack.jpg

Edited by dog1

in the meantime i tried version 2-3-11 with same result . all seems to work but wont activate in game . i did not reinstall the eye is this correct ?

Edited by dog1

By any chance are you running IL-2 in admin mode and Opentrack without admin mode? You have to run both in admin or neither in admin. 

BlackHellHound1

hello

runing both in non admin , i did read the warning in the end under trouble shooting . Its strange all appears normal but wont appear in game . 

Does Opentrack not start automatically when the game is started? or does Il-2 not detect any input from Opentrack at all even if you start opentrack manually?

BlackHellHound1

2 hours ago, dog1 said:

hello

runing both in non admin , i did read the warning in the end under trouble shooting . Its strange all appears normal but wont appear in game . 

Have you tried running both with admin privileges?

open track is open on the desk top and functioning before i go to game , i dont reduce it . Then in game there is no input  . same reaction with 2 versions . wonder if because they were made for windows 32  is the issue , or something to do with windows 10 since opentrack existed already .  

GRAMPS

Steam has open as admin but when you go to library it just says load game i dont know if it opens as admin the game .My desk top opens with open only .I will try starting the game through Steam as admin priv together with opentrack and see what happens .

Edited by dog1

does not open in admin priv mode

3 hours ago, dog1 said:

does not open in admin priv mode

Which program IL2 or OT?

Not a windows 32 issue for sure, I've been using OT on Win 10 64 since it was released. Another old issue that used to come up had to do with a setting in the startup.cfg file for IL2. This is the entry:

[KEY = input]
    exclusive = 0
    input_map = "input.map"
    mouse_plane_control = 0
    old_trackir = 0

If your old_trackir entry is 1 try changing it to 0, or to 1 if it is currently 0. Have not heard anything about this in quite a while, but you never know.

Edited by No_85_Gramps

On 8/10/2019 at 12:56 PM, No_85_Gramps said:

Yes, a filter made from a piece of floppy disk, or exposed film, will help kill the background lighting issue. I haven't tried modifying the newer PS3, I would just try the filter first. I am in the process of building a new clip myself. My SIL printed a 3d clip for me, now to wire it up. Lots of satisfaction to be had when making your own.

I'm in the process of making the kit and am having real difficulty finding a floppy or film (it 2019 for goodness sake, not 2001). I read on one site that VHS tape would work and found one for 0.25 USD at a thrift store, but wanted to see if that was an option. I really don't want to spend $20 on an IR Pass filter, but if I need to I will. Anyone confirm that VHS tape will work as an IR pass filter like a floppy/film piece?

Edited by cardboard_killer

5 hours ago, No_85_Gramps said:

Another old issue that used to come up had to do with a setting in the startup.cfg file for IL2. This is the entry:

[KEY = input]
    exclusive = 0
    input_map = "input.map"
    mouse_plane_control = 0
    old_trackir = 0

If your old_trackir entry is 1 try changing it to 0, or to 1 if it is currently 0. Have not heard anything about this in quite a while, but you never know.

I added this to the troubleshooting thread just two months ago. But from what I understand from dog1, that didn't work. 

@dog1 I am really trying to think of another solution but cant come up with anything. Hope it gets fixed but for now, I am drawing a blank.

2 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

I'm in the process of making the kit and am having real difficulty finding a floppy or film (it 2019 for goodness sake, not 2001). I read on one site that VHS tape would work and found one for 0.25 USD at a thrift store, but wanted to see if that was an option. I really don't want to spend $20 on an IR Pass filter, but if I need to I will. Anyone confirm that VHS tape will work as an IR pass filter like a floppy/film piece?

I have never heard of that before but if you can get a tape for only 0.25 USD, just try it.

BlackHellHound1

• Like 1

i did mention above that i did go through the trouble shooting section at the end of the tutorial , i did the CFG  test with 0 and 1 .

3 hours ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

I have never heard of that before but if you can get a tape for only 0.25 USD, just try it.

After doing some more research the VHS tape is out--it isn't really an IR pass through material, so it filters the IR too much to be worth it being used to filter the visible light. I finally just bit the bullet and ordered an IR pass through camera lens cap. 14 USD from Amazon.