BlackHellHound1

A complete guide to set up Head-tracking (Opentrack)

8 hours ago, Adept_Suit said:

SOS! 

Hey. I got a new pc and now opentrack doesn't track my ir leds. Default profile works, but if I use my old profiles opentrack just doesn't see the IR leds. And if I copy paste some text lines from old profile to a new one, it also doesn't work. But the clean default one works. here it does the tracking. Once I start adding curves or settings, doesn't work.

SOS!

Hey mate,

No need for the SOS :P We will help you regardless.

Your old profiles are probably from an older version of opentrack which would explain why they aren't working.

Try to find the same version of Opentrack as you had on your old PC, or you will have to make a new profile within your new Opentrack.

Also, just to clarify. If you just start with a clean profile and add curves in opentrack itself as usual, does it still work then?

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

@BlackHellHound1

I still have some problem with open track axis...

Especially X axis give me a lot of problem...

I put some death zone, so now I have to move close to the camera limit angle to move my head in the game, but still it confuse X with yaw...

Do you have some idea how to fix it?

1 hour ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

Hey mate,

No need for the SOS :P We will help you regardless.

Your old profiles are probably from an older version of opentrack which would explain why they aren't working.

Try to find the same version of Opentrack as you had on your old PC, or you will have to make a new profile within your new Opentrack.

Also, just to clarify. If you just start with a clean profile and add curves in opentrack itself as usual, does it still work then?

BlackHellHound1

It's the same version. The last beta one. I added curves etc. on a default profile and it works. 

BUt with older profiles it doesn't work. I swear it's same version.

Hello virtual pilots,

First of all, thanks @BlackHellHound1 for this fantastic guide on how to setup OpenTrack. The best one that I have seen so far. I have created from scratch my own TrackHat with IR LED lights (see the picture), so I may eventually make a guide on how to make it and share it in the forum 😃

However I am getting issues trying to link IL2 launcher and OpenTrack. I bought BoS via Steam, and then BoM and BoK via IL2 website, so in order to access all of my content, I have to always start the game from Steam and not from the .exe launcher. The thing is that Steam launches IL2 using a BootScrapper (I don´t even know waht this is) and this is not recognized by OpenTrack (I have tried to create a shortcut in the desktop). Do you guys know how to link OpenTrack and IL2 in the Steam Client? Or have experienced similar issues?

Thanks in advance 👍

48138805-baa8-45fa-abff-2b039ffeb086 (1).jpg

22 hours ago, ppinto94 said:

Hello virtual pilots,

First of all, thanks @BlackHellHound1 for this fantastic guide on how to setup OpenTrack. The best one that I have seen so far. I have created from scratch my own TrackHat with IR LED lights (see the picture), so I may eventually make a guide on how to make it and share it in the forum 😃

However I am getting issues trying to link IL2 launcher and OpenTrack. I bought BoS via Steam, and then BoM and BoK via IL2 website, so in order to access all of my content, I have to always start the game from Steam and not from the .exe launcher. The thing is that Steam launches IL2 using a BootScrapper (I don´t even know waht this is) and this is not recognized by OpenTrack (I have tried to create a shortcut in the desktop). Do you guys know how to link OpenTrack and IL2 in the Steam Client? Or have experienced similar issues?

Thanks in advance 👍

I am not sure what you mean by "link opentrack and IL-2 in the steam client". Can you clarify this in more detail? 

For me, it works fine having Opentrack not linked to steam. I just open OpenTrack from my desktop and then IL-2 through steam. 

BlackHellHound1

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

I am not sure what you mean by "link opentrack and IL-2 in the steam client". Can you clarify this in more detail? 

For me, it works fine having Opentrack not linked to steam. I just open OpenTrack from my desktop and then IL-2 through steam. 

BlackHellHound1

Ok nevermind, is working fine now 😆 very strange though... the first attempt wasn't successful 

I basically got confused in the step for Game Detection because I have experienced that when launchig with IL2.exe I could only play the content I bought on IL2 website. So I tried to make a shortcut in the desktop from steam, but this redirects to a web server client which OT doesn't recognize.

Anyway thanks for the help 😉

Good work BlackHellHound1,

I've been using homemade IR headtracking for over a year, works great!  However being of the type that we are we always like to tweak/experiment.

One thing I have found for visible light filter that works better than other methods I've tried is polarized lens rotated 90 degrees (old sunglasses).  Blocks all visible light (99%+) but is basically completely transparent to IR so I get a better s/n ratio.

Also, I believe if you increase the distance between the IR leds the scaling (curves) will allow for more precision because less scaling factor (due to resolution tolerances really).  I'm going to make one 45, 60, 105, 120.  Basically 1.5 times the size of the canned values.  Has anyone tried this?

Also I believe smaller leds that give a smaller point size will improve precision too, if your use environment will tolerate it (still needs to be larger than other possible IR sources in the room).  Thoughts?

Also thought about putting a pot on led power source to see how power levels affect the system as a whole.  Anyone experimented with this? 

What I'm trying to improve is slight drift when not at stationary centered position.  Seems there's some under-dampening somewhere.  Basically I'm want to move my head fast and stop and have NO drift.  My system works very well, as said, and I can turn accela off and it's not that jittery at all (still wouldn't fly that way tho but easily can).  Watching the numbers (in FTNoir because of extra digit resolution) you can see the input values drift (using a stand with stop points, not my head) and of course this causes output to drift (curve multiplied)(I tested with accela off btw).  My current conclusion (maybe incorrect) is there's some math happening in pointtracker doing this as cl driver should just be the camera operator/driver).  Thoughts?

Anyway, just been looking for any experience others have with tinkering, as that's as much fun to me as the flying ; )

Thank to everyone, especially  BlackHellHound1,  for the input,  to this thread. It's been very helpful. I've been struggling to get opentrack set up with a Delan clip for a couple of days.

If I open an empty profile, a small tilt of my head is translated into a move in the Z-axis. Is this normal?  I'm not moving my head closer to the camera. I'm keeping it perfectly still, apart from a very small tilt. This causes the octopus to recede into the background.  This movement is shown in the raw data. It's not being introduced by mapping.

Edited by flipside
clarify the movement is in the raw data.

What is your camera position in relation to IR clip?  Also, do calibration.   Turn z axis off to help troubleshoot. I'm up for a bit so if you want to talk realtime on TS, discord etc, let me know.

Hi. First of all thanks for this awesome guide. 

I have some strange problem. I have trackhat clip attached to the left side of my headphones and the PS3 camera on the top of the monitor, at the centre more or less.

At the beginning I had issues when I looked at my right. It was too slow with no sensitivity at certain point and so I couldn't look back on my right side. I could turn my head only 45º to me right. On the other side, the left, I had no issues and I could turn my head beyond 45º and look back. A few days ago that issue changed and it was the left side which was slow and with lack of sensitivity while the right side worked perfectly. 

I have the X52 joystick in front of me but the LED lights are set to a minimum level of intensity. I have a window in front of me but there's only moderate light getting into the room. I have no idea what's causing it. 

On 3/6/2020 at 9:17 PM, BananaJoe_ said:

Hi. First of all thanks for this awesome guide. 

I have some strange problem. I have trackhat clip attached to the left side of my headphones and the PS3 camera on the top of the monitor, at the centre more or less.

At the beginning I had issues when I looked at my right. It was too slow with no sensitivity at certain point and so I couldn't look back on my right side. I could turn my head only 45º to me right. On the other side, the left, I had no issues and I could turn my head beyond 45º and look back. A few days ago that issue changed and it was the left side which was slow and with lack of sensitivity while the right side worked perfectly. 

I have the X52 joystick in front of me but the LED lights are set to a minimum level of intensity. I have a window in front of me but there's only moderate light getting into the room. I have no idea what's causing it. 

It could be that something is obstructing the lights on your clip or that you move the lights outside of the FoV of your camera. 

Try placing your camera slightly to the side. So that it is right in front of your tracking clip. 

BlackHellHound1

• Like 1

Hi all, 

With Opentrack working is there any option to keep using the Z axis with buttons?

With Trackir if pressing the pause button it is possible but Opentrack no even if you stop tracking.

Any idea around?

If you are talking about the in-game zoom in/out, I have it mapped to a hat switch on my joystick and with the z axis working in opentrack I have no problems.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, No_85_Gramps said:

If you are talking about the in-game zoom in/out, I have it mapped to a hat switch on my joystick and with the z axis working in opentrack I have no problems.

Same here,  I have zoom on a hat switch and no need to pause anything (I use EDTracker & Opentrack)

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Posted (edited)

No I'm not talking about zoom, I'm talking about move pilot head forward / backward that by default on game are INSERT / HOME

Edited by ITAF_Lynx11

2 hours ago, ITAF_Lynx11 said:

No I'm not talking about zoom, I'm talking about move pilot head forward / backward that by default on game are INSERT / HOME

Ok. Isn't that the same movement you get when you lean in/out on the z axis? Looks the same to me, but I do see your point in that ins/home will not function w/OT running.

Exactly, I don't like to lean in/out, I prefer to have it on buttons. 

Is there any option?

14 minutes ago, ITAF_Lynx11 said:

Exactly, I don't like to lean in/out, I prefer to have it on buttons. 

Is there any option?

As far as I know, there isn't. Opentrack takes over your 6 DoF and I dont know of any way to disable only 1 DoF. All or nothing.

BlackHellHound1

Ok thank you.

Btw TrackIR by selecting pause button gives back to the game the option to use Dof Axis with buttons. Unfortunately TrIR has no the dynamic deadzone (Acella filtering) that is a real plus in terms of stability and contact detection.

I'm having a weird issue that I can't find a fix for on google. I've got opentrack and a Track Hat clip. In opentrack the pitch axis output goes from -90 to 90 as I move my head. In DCS world the camera goes from looking straight down to straight up. But in IL2 its about 45 degrees down to 45 degrees up. Does anyone know what might be causing that?

32 minutes ago, DracoArgentum said:

I'm having a weird issue that I can't find a fix for on google. I've got opentrack and a Track Hat clip. In opentrack the pitch axis output goes from -90 to 90 as I move my head. In DCS world the camera goes from looking straight down to straight up. But in IL2 its about 45 degrees down to 45 degrees up. Does anyone know what might be causing that?

In the opentrack mappings make sure the pitch is set to max 180.

15 minutes ago, No_85_Gramps said:

In the opentrack mappings make sure the pitch is set to max 180.

That was it, thanks heaps.

That's very counter intuitive having +180 in the UI mean looking 90 degrees up.

14 minutes ago, DracoArgentum said:

That's very counter intuitive having +180 in the UI mean looking 90 degrees up.

I always found that strange myself.

Hello,

first of all, many thanks for your guide.

Just a question if you don’t mind.

The head movements (I mean tilting) are too difficult to adjust. When I try to focus on the aim, my view goes from the left to the right, etc.

Can you tell me how to have the movement not so quick and difficult to adjust?

i think there should be a dead zone to adjust but I don’t know how to do that.

I need help

Hey guys!

I am a TrackIR user but I was a bit bored and saw that the PS3 eye camera + the monitor stand + shipping in Trackhat website cost only 20 € so I decided to get one. First just in case my TrackIR brokes, and secondly because TrackIR when using trueview has a drift so after checking your 6, moving the head around for a while, your head does not return to center which is very annoying.

Does opentrack have the same issue? Also I like that the software keeps being updated whereas the las TrackIR update was back in 2016.

11 hours ago, DN308 said:

Hello,

first of all, many thanks for your guide.

Just a question if you don’t mind.

The head movements (I mean tilting) are too difficult to adjust. When I try to focus on the aim, my view goes from the left to the right, etc.

Can you tell me how to have the movement not so quick and difficult to adjust?

i think there should be a dead zone to adjust but I don’t know how to do that.

I need help

You can learn how to set up the curves correctly, including dead zones, in the chapter "How do you set your “curves”?".

If you still have issues, you can disable an axis in the "Options/Output".

12 minutes ago, III/JG52_Al-Azraq said:

Hey guys!

I am a TrackIR user but I was a bit bored and saw that the PS3 eye camera + the monitor stand + shipping in Trackhat website cost only 20 € so I decided to get one. First just in case my TrackIR brokes, and secondly because TrackIR when using trueview has a drift so after checking your 6, moving the head around for a while, your head does not return to center which is very annoying.

Does opentrack have the same issue? Also I like that the software keeps being updated whereas the las TrackIR update was back in 2016.

I am not aware of any drift in Opentrack. In my years of use, I haven't noticed anything of the sort. 

BlackHellHound1

1 minute ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

You can learn how to set up the curves correctly, including dead zones, in the chapter "How do you set your “curves”?".

If you still have issues, you can disable an axis in the "Options/Output".

I am not aware of any drift in Opentrack. In my years of use, I haven't noticed anything of the sort. 

BlackHellHound1

Thanks a lot! I am happy to hear that and if true, it will replace my TrackIR. Anyway, for 20 € I wanted to give it a try and worst case scenario, I will have a replacement for my TrackIR just in case.

Thanks also for the guide by the way!

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone. 
Is it normal to have the headtracking disabling the HAT buttons assigned for view in game? 

Even with the tracking stopped?

Or Opentrack application not running?

Or uninstalled?

Where is the tracking.dll file registered? Any way to simply turn off headtracking in game or system wide?

Sorry for the cascading questions 😃 . I am asking on behalf of a friend who panicked in that order  😁

Edited by D13th_zaelu

On 3/24/2020 at 3:22 AM, III/JG52_Al-Azraq said:

Thanks a lot! I am happy to hear that and if true, it will replace my TrackIR. Anyway, for 20 € I wanted to give it a try and worst case scenario, I will have a replacement for my TrackIR just in case.

Thanks also for the guide by the way!

I actually disabled my Y axis currently because it was making it difficult to keep the sights up for whatever reason. Maybe I'll re-enable when I get more comfortable with head tracking. I noticed it when trying to copy someone else's curves.

Speaking of curves, after straining my neck last night fiddling with opentrack and trackhat clip plus, I went back to basics and the most I am comfortable turning my head right is about 15 degrees. Are you guys really turning 40+? Or is that just so you can get smoother movement as you look around? Even the screenshots in this thread look like a 30 degree head movement just to see upper or lower six. I feel like I am still missing something.

Also, is there a way to make it less sensitive when zooming in? I zoom in too look at a ground target and the smallest movement of my head is massive in game.

Thanks for helping a rookie pilot.

I am trying to get this to work on Steam il2 BOS and having a hell of a time.  Will not control my pilots head in game, but works perfectly while configuring in open track.  Is there a setup for steam games not included here that I haven’t found online?

4 hours ago, Jakey-Poo said:

I am trying to get this to work on Steam il2 BOS and having a hell of a time.  Will not control my pilots head in game, but works perfectly while configuring in open track.  Is there a setup for steam games not included here that I haven’t found online?

Try to open startup.cfg and change the value in old_Trackir (or 1 or 0)

7 hours ago, Jakey-Poo said:

From the first post in this thread.

On 3/2/2018 at 11:04 AM, BlackHellHound1 said:

Headtracking does not work in IL-2

(But headtracking does work in other games)

1. Check the "Important notes" below and make sure your "Run as admin" is set up propperly. (If that fixes the problem: Skip 2 and 3)

2. Go into your IL-2 instalation folder and go to "data". Find a file called "startup.cfg" and open it with notepad. Find a section called [KEY = input] and set "old_trackir = 0" to "old_trackir = 1" save it and close. Restart IL-2. (If that fixes the problem: Skip 3)

3. Still doesn't work? Close IL-2 and open the file "startup.cfg" again. Set "old_trackir = 1" back to "old_trackir = 0" save it and close. Restart IL-2 again. It should work now.

Here

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

From the first post in this thread.

Here

These were the first troubleshooting steps we took, unfortunately.  As of now:

- both open track and steam are being run in admin mode

- we have changed “KEY = input” and changed “old_trackir = “ from 0 to 1 and back to 0

- we have tried downloading different (older) versions of open track

- I have reset my keybindings back to default (unfortunately losing ALL my key bindings for no reason)

- I have added both “il2.exe” and “steam.exe” to executable in the game detection tab

I’m at the point where I am grasping at straws trying to find something else to modify/check, so any further input or troubleshooting suggestions would definitely be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your input. 

7 hours ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

Try to open startup.cfg and change the value in old_Trackir (or 1 or 0)

Unfortunately, we’ve already run through the whole gambit of troubleshooting, both on this forum and anything else I’ve found on google.

Edited by Jakey-Poo

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jakey-Poo said:

- both open track and steam are being run in admin mode

This is incorrect. You need to run Opentrack and THE GAME (thus il2.exe) in admin mode. Steam is irrelevant. 

BlackHellHound1

Edited by BlackHellHound1

2 hours ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

This is incorrect. You need to run Opentrack and THE GAME (thus il2.exe) in admin mode. Steam is irrelevant. 

BlackHellHound1

Frustratingly, the problem and solution was something even more simple and self explanatory - the box for "start profiles from game executable..." in the game detection screen was unchecked.  Two adults fumbling with this for the better part of 2 days completely undone by an unchecked box.  I'll be back later after I get my palm surgically removed from my face.

2 hours ago, Jakey-Poo said:

Frustratingly, the problem and solution was something even more simple and self explanatory - the box for "start profiles from game executable..." in the game detection screen was unchecked.  Two adults fumbling with this for the better part of 2 days completely undone by an unchecked box.  I'll be back later after I get my palm surgically removed from my face.

Damn, that sucks. But good to hear you found the issue.

I added a line to the guide so that the next person won't miss it.

BlackHellHound1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for this.

I am new to il-2 and flight sims in general and this was very useful to help me get opentrack up and running.

Regarding 6DoF, I find the terminology X, Y, and Z less intuitive than pitch, yaw, and roll. The wikipedia article for 6DoF indicates that the terms surge (x-axis), sway (y-axis), and heave (z-axis) are widely in use. I think these terms more vivid.

Thanks again.

AwedBaal

Edited by Awedbaal
Correct repetitive phrasing.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the informative article. I set up my new DelanClip Gamer two weeks ago and started to encounter some severe chop just today.

While running - if I open up OpenTrack and go to pointtracker settings, I see at the bottom that my camera FPS stutters between 5-75 FPS.  This seems like a good lead for the source of the problem... 

Is this normal? If not, is there any known fix?

Thanks.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:58 PM, BlackHellHound1 said:

Damn, that sucks. But good to hear you found the issue.

I added a line to the guide so that the next person won't miss it.

BlackHellHound1

Hello there, I’m having a problem with opentrack, in that when I click on start the window where it states ‘ TRACKING NOT STARTED’ goes blank and after 5 seconds the program shuts down! I have tried to calibrate my trackhat but the button is greyed out and won’t let me! 

any ideas??

taxi2.

15 hours ago, ThudThunder said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the informative article. I set up my new DelanClip Gamer two weeks ago and started to encounter some severe chop just today.

While running - if I open up OpenTrack and go to pointtracker settings, I see at the bottom that my camera FPS stutters between 5-75 FPS.  This seems like a good lead for the source of the problem... 

Is this normal? If not, is there any known fix?

Thanks.

The FPS issue doesn't sound normal. Haven't heard about it before. All I can do is recommend reinstalling your CL-Eye Driver. 

11 minutes ago, taxi2raynor said:

Hello there, I’m having a problem with opentrack, in that when I click on start the window where it states ‘ TRACKING NOT STARTED’ goes blank and after 5 seconds the program shuts down! I have tried to calibrate my trackhat but the button is greyed out and won’t let me! 

any ideas??

taxi2.

Do you use the TrackHat provided "TrackHat Opentrack"? Or the original opentrack?

BlackHellHound1