LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

1 hour ago, Skin said:

Is there a difference between emergency landing  and total lose of  a plane?

If you do emergency landing on airfield, you might not lose the plane and no points deducted. Depends if the game considers the plane as destroyed or not.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Skin said:

Is there a difference between emergency landing  and total lose of  a plane?

There is only "intact" and "destroyed" currently in our logic. This is manifested as a server log line "AType:3" which means object(your plane in this case) has been destroyed. If there is no AType:3 before you land (denoted by "AType:4" in logs) then you are not destroyed, and assuming you made the emergency landing on an airfield, the airfield and the "sector points" will be returned. If you ditch in a field, even if the plane is intact, you lose the plane.

The logic when the game writes the AType:3 is not 100% clear to us. Sometimes you survive a crash landing on an airfield without a AType:3 line, sometimes not...

It would be possible to parse accumulated damage, like the statistics system does, and decide the fate of the plane based on that, but have not deemed that necessary, yet atleast...

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, CCG_Pips said:

At the begining, I was suspecting a blue player (human) to camp on red tanks side and killing all players arriving.......but after looking carefuly, it was clearly AI guns and Tanks on blue camp that fires to everything spawning or present on red camp

I now designated the area in which the AI anti-tank guns and tanks should engage enemies. It's roughly 1000 m from each of the groups and covers also the rear of the group. I hope this addresses the issue.

Edit: Aaand since I done that change, I now set the heavy AAA pieces to not fire on ground targets anymore. It seems they were the cuplrit most of the time. Effective next mission rotation.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Thanks 1

I play vr, and do not use game zoom (it is broken for pimax canted displays), but 3dmigoto zoom. It seems to me that targets are rendered differently than on other servers. I couldn´t see several buildings and AA´s until I came about 300m from them. 3dmigoto zoom just showed empty space from i.e. 500m. Later I tried ingame zoom, and I saw targets from much, much larger distance. On other servers there is small difference in those 2 zooms, but not so much like here.

Is that made as server "feature"? Some optimisation?

Ps: I was also searching enemy ships at dawn time, AA shoot all around me, I was circling and circling, but didn´t find anything. That never happends to me on other servers, 5x migoto zoom was always enough to find enemy.

3 minutes ago, Brzi_Joe said:

There's no such optimizations available as server features. I'd say report this as a bug to devs, as this is already second instance I've heard about it happening:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Brzi_Joe said:

I play vr, and do not use game zoom (it is broken for pimax canted displays), but 3dmigoto zoom. It seems to me that targets are rendered differently than on other servers. I couldn´t see several buildings and AA´s until I came about 300m from them. 3dmigoto zoom just showed empty space from i.e. 500m. Later I tried ingame zoom, and I saw targets from much, much larger distance. On other servers there is small difference in those 2 zooms, but not so much like here.

Can't comment on this one (regular monitor user). I see the ground targets (after the latest visual system changes) really far (20+ km) away.

5 minutes ago, Brzi_Joe said:

Ps: I was also searching enemy ships at dawn time, AA shoot all around me, I was circling and circling, but didn´t find anything. That never happends to me on other servers, 5x migoto zoom was always enough to find enemy.

This is something we have heard from other sources as well. This other guy saw the flak, but not the ships even when he was directly over them (me and others could see him over the ships). He couldn't see us either. So he couldn't see planes, or ships.

• Thanks 1

Thx guys, I tried again today, just  to make track for developer, but today it just works good. I can see planes and ships 20+ km away. And I hurt them hard 🤓

• Like 1

S!

We have some pretty big updates for the server:

1) Tank supply
So basically the same thing we have had for planes. The tank spawn sites have a "hangar" of tanks, from which every spawned tank is drawn from, and when they run out, you can't spawn anymore. Well, you can, but will get a warning about it, and will be kicked if you don't despawn.  The number of tanks in the hangar is replenished slowly by "factory supply" coming from the map border. This has the same rule as airfields: the further the spawn is from the map edge (west for Germans, east for Russians), the longer the resupply interval is. The tanks can be also replenished with paradrops with Ju52 into the frontline paradrop zone. You can think of this as: there are lot of tanks, but not enough crew, so the crews can be replenished by paratrooping them in ;)

2) Lost plane/tank penalty on sector health

Whenever you spawn a plane or a tank, the health value of that plane/tank is added to the sector's pool of "in flight / on mission" planes/tanks. And whenever you land/despawn your still intact vehicle at the airfield/tank spawn, the health value is removed from this pool. In the very unlikely case of you NOT returning from your mission (;)) -> the value will remain in the pool and when the mission ends, the pool will be removed the sector health, causing the enemy to advance. So, bring your vehicles home!

This vehicle health value is represented in your sortie score (about which you get updates about in the chat), so for example:
- You start with a plane with value of 100 points
- You kill targets worth 80 points
- You crash your plane -> Total 80 - 100 = -20 points.

So if you plan on dying, ensure that you take enough enemies with you before you do ;)

3) Hyper equality airfield placement

The annoyingly nuanced geography of the Kuban map caused some headaches for our airfield placement algorithm, so I made a system that compares the selected airfield distances to the conflict areas, and replaces them if the distances differ too much. This should result in fairer airfield placement.

4) Max distance for bridges

The bridges are positioned along a supply route(not visible to the player) and the ones closest to the conflict area are chosen. But sometimes the closest ones are annoyingly far away, so now have a cutoff distance of 65km, so the bridges won't be put into mission if they are ridiculously far away...

Disclaimer: There are bound to be bugs in these new features, so if you spot them, tell us!

Known bugs:
- Tank sorties scoring (chat message) isn't shown correctly to the player. Will be fixed soon.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

S!

We have some pretty big updates for the server:

1) Tank supply
So basically the same thing we have had for planes. The tank spawn sites have a "hangar" of tanks, from which every spawned tank is drawn from, and when they run out, you can't spawn anymore. Well, you can, but will get a warning about it, and will be kicked if you don't despawn.  The number of tanks in the hangar is replenished slowly by "factory supply" coming from the map border. This has the same rule as airfields: the further the spawn is from the map edge (west for Germans, east for Russians), the longer the resupply interval is. The tanks can be also replenished with paradrops with Ju52 into the frontline paradrop zone. You can think of this as: there are lot of tanks, but not enough crew, so the crews can be replenished by paratrooping them in ;)

2) Lost plane/tank penalty on sector health

Whenever you spawn a plane or a tank, the health value of that plane/tank is added to the sector's pool of "in flight / on mission" planes/tanks. And whenever you land/despawn your still intact vehicle at the airfield/tank spawn, the health value is removed from this pool. In the very unlikely case of you NOT returning from your mission (;)) -> the value will remain in the pool and when the mission ends, the pool will be removed the sector health, causing the enemy to advance. So, bring your vehicles home!

This vehicle health value is represented in your sortie score (about which you get updates about in the chat), so for example:
- You start with a plane with value of 100 points
- You kill targets worth 80 points
- You crash your plane -> Total 80 - 100 = -20 points.

So if you plan on dying, ensure that you take enough enemies with you before you do ;)

3) Hyper equality airfield placement

The annoyingly nuanced geography of the Kuban map caused some headaches for our airfield replacement algorithm, so I made a system that compares the selected airfield distances to the conflict areas, and replaces them if the distances differ too much. This should result in fairer airfield placement.

4) Max distance for bridges

The bridges are positioned along a supply route(not visible to the player) and the ones closest to the conflict area are chosen. But sometimes the closest ones are annoyingly far away, so now have a cutoff distance of 65km, so the bridges won't be put into mission if they are ridiculously far away...

Disclaimer: There are bound to be bugs in these new features, so if you spot them, tell us!

Known bugs:
- Tank sorties scoring (chat message) isn't shown correctly to the player. Will be fixed soon.

Thank you very much, almost perfect, why almost...look bellow!

NOOOO for the bridges distance, even it was on the other side of the map i loved those missions and flew it :).....it was only chance to fly in mountain area of the map.

I still hope if axis ever advance further that those 2 bridges between mountains are objectives.

Pinacle of il2 maps is unused!

Two weeks ago there were 35min left on the map and i went for those two bridges, on the way there AI jumped me and damaged one engine so i struggled to get there on time, destroying second bridge 2min before mission rotation.

It was best sortie i ever had!

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

1 minute ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

for the bridges distance, even it was on the other side of the map i loved those missions and flew it

Trouble was that having bridges very far away skews the frontline moving quite a bit, as the bridges are quite valuable targets.

1 minute ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Trouble was that having bridges very far away skews the frontline moving quite a bit, as the bridges are quite valuable targets.

As i noticed each bridge brings 3km to the frontline, no matter of their placement

1 minute ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

As i noticed each bridge brings 3km to the frontline, no matter of their placement

Yes, but you need to fly basically from one end of the map to the other. We don't see this as good mission content.

1 minute ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Yes, but you need to fly basically from one end of the map to the other. We don't see this as good mission content.

I understand that, it was good only for a freak like me 😜 hehe

• Upvote 1

I came to like the server but the frequent map restarts due to frontline movement make it a bit pointless to try to bring the plane back home from long flights or fly red supply missions. Two times while trying to supply an airfield the map restarted. That Junkers takes a week to reach the airfields. 

But I do not want to complain. It is imho the best server so far.

Still I have some questions as to what could be added.

1) The ships aren't moving. Would it be possible to have a convoi moving across the map so that the map icon only represents the last sighting report? So it would be up to the pilot to plot the course of the ships thus recon missions would become a thing in the game. 

2) The U-2 could use some meaning in the game. While it may be put to use in an anti tank role it is not exactly made for daytime attacks or frontline service at all. Having it on a rear airfield flying courier service or something like this would be great for that little bird. Maybe having it supply spare parts to frontline airfields to add one plane to the airfield pools.

29 minutes ago, Majakowski said:

I came to like the server but the frequent map restarts due to frontline movement make it a bit pointless to try to bring the plane back home from long flights or fly red supply missions. Two times while trying to supply an airfield the map restarted.

We now changed the logic so, that the front troops and artillery of both sectors need to be destroyed at least 75% to trigger the mission rotation.

Moving ships would be nice, so you would need to search for them at least a bit.

We've been thinking about doing some artillery spotting for the U-2.

• Like 1

Ouuuh artillery spotting would be a blast (no pun intended)!

Hopefully not inbetween the furball areas 😄

Looking forward to it.

For supply its only JU-52 , why not Pe-2 for Allies . Joined twice today yet could not take off well got kicked , asked why and the AF needed supply . Yet i dont own the 52 so how do i supply the AF . 

Also map ended very quick , less than an hour why is that . Whats causing maps to roll so quick . If on long flight no point . 

S!

The Lisunov Li-2(russki C47 with domestic engines) wil be added as supply plane whenever devs decide to include it.

12 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

The Lisunov Li-2(russki C47 with domestic engines) wil be added as supply plane whenever devs decide to include it.

Not sure I understand . So we have 14 players that can not take off because of no supply , three AF changes later I can take off , but 10 minutes into flight I am yet again kicked because the AF I took off from has ran out of planes . This also happen to another player .

I'll be honest here it's a Sunday night and I spent more time rejoining the server than actually playing it . And I'm not the only one . Lots of players were getting kicked. 

So if we don't own ju-52 we can't supply . 

Why not give Pe-2 as supply plane . 

Why is axis supply closer than Allies . ?

Edited by KoN_

S! 

Pe-2 will be added as a supply plane, but with less supply capability than Ju-52. Should meet the demands.

Location of supply air start is at both ends of the map and does not move. Blue side being pushed against the wall means shorter supply route and vice versa. 

Being disconnect midair if the base you took off from runs out of planes sounds like a clear bug. If server can do something about it it will be done ASAP. If requires devs to do something then we need a workaround. 

I has been posted that if having problems with connection then empty the moscowwb folder under data\multiplayer. It can help. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KoN_ said:

but 10 minutes into flight I am yet again kicked because the AF I took off from has ran out of planes

If this happened, then it's a bug. However, looking at the logs, the takeoff and kick events don't have this 10 minute gap.

We'll add the Pe-2s, Ju-88, and He-111 as supply planes.

6 hours ago, KoN_ said:

Why is axis supply closer than Allies . ?

The ground supply (that comes automatically) is calculated according to the distance to the west and east sides of the map, to simulate long supply lines. For the same reason, when advancing further from the side of the map, the supply spawn is further from the front.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

Location of supply air start is at both ends of the map and does not move.

It does move. It follows the center of mass of the controlled area, but is set 2/3 back in the east-west axis, so it's a bit further from the front.

13 hours ago, KoN_ said:

Also map ended very quick , less than an hour why is that . Whats causing maps to roll so quick . If on long flight no point . 

There was a rule in the logic:

- If >75% of both sectors' COMBINED frontline units (front+arty / ships) on one side have been destroyed -> rotate the mission to give the players more stuff to do.

Recently we've had an unprecedented amount of players (which also seem to be really good ground attackers as well) on the server. This caused the mission to rotate (because of the forementioned logic) too quickly. We have now changed the rule to:

- If >75% of both sectors' frontline units (front+arty / ships) on one side have been destroyed -> rotate the mission.

...the "combined" missing from the latter. In the former case you needed to destroy, for example 100% + 50% to reach >75% combined. Now you need to destroy >75% + >75%. We'll see if this has the desired effect, or if the mission still rotates too fast, and tune it more if needed.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Effective now.

Thank you very much . Looking forward to flying this server sounds interesting .  

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

These planes will give half the supply that a Ju-52 gives.

Changed the time interval of the "no planes available" warning from 5 s to 10 s.

Effective now.

Replenishing airfields with the Pe-2 is a great improvement.

But sadly the map restarting still is a bit heavy. Making long flights only makes sense immediately at the start of the map. Just now I was on my way back from the target area and the map reset again. So no points for landing because you don't get to land. And the mission duration also isn't an indicator at all as to wether or not start a flight. In my case a flight from takeoff to landing takes about 45-60 minutes. The risk of getting kicked out of flight without having anything accomplished is still too high imho.

The adding of other planes for supply is great, but I think there might be an error in the planes available. There are 2 types of PE-2 but they are both the older version. Surely you meant for one of them to be the newer version of the plane?

11 hours ago, Majakowski said:

So no points for landing because you don't get to land. And the mission duration also isn't an indicator at all as to wether or not start a flight. In my case a flight from takeoff to landing takes about 45-60 minutes. The risk of getting kicked out of flight without having anything accomplished is still too high imho.

Your flight still has meaning. Everything you have destroyed is taken into account, even if you don't make it back home, AND your plane is returned to the airfield you took it off from when the mission rotates while you were airborne.

You can guesstimate the remaining time using the "<s" -command, which tells you the statuses/health of the sectors.

But yes, the mission seems to be rotating a bit fast for my liking too. We'll see if there's an easy way to tune stuff, or if we need bigger changes....

8 hours ago, -SF-Disarray said:

The adding of other planes for supply is great, but I think there might be an error in the planes available. There are 2 types of PE-2 but they are both the older version. Surely you meant for one of them to be the newer version of the plane?

Sounds like a mistake, will check.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

9 hours ago, -SF-Disarray said:

Surely you meant for one of them to be the newer version of the plane?

Well yes.  🤦‍♂️

I'll correct that.

I guess the mission rotates faster than the timer mostly due to the increase in population throughout the whole day. As the server becomes more and more popular, and now planes have an impact on sectors, the sector health just depletes much faster, leading to more shifting frontlines

3 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

I guess the mission rotates faster than the timer mostly due to the increase in population throughout the whole day. As the server becomes more and more popular, and now planes have an impact on sectors, the sector health just depletes much faster, leading to more shifting frontlines

The impact from planes doesn't factor into the >75% rule. Only the damage done on the front+arty on land sectors and all ships on sea sectors matters for this rule.

But you are correct about the increase in population. More people -> more damage, and faster.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

2 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

and now planes have an impact on sectors, the sector health just depletes much faster

No. Planes depleting sector health has nothing to do with mission rotation. Frontline & artillery and ships being destroyed faster has.

• Thanks 1

It seems a bit tricky to cope with the changes in player numbers.

Maybe a few more objectives would do the trick? If I am right the map reset is for the players to have something to do. So adding more targets will not compromise that goal as there is still something to be done even if the map lasts a bit longer.

On the other hand supply flights would become more necessary when the map lasts longer adding to the logistical element.

The problem is: we're already on the brink of having too many objects in the mission 😕  ... We disabled the AI planes to get off the edge, but increasing the amount of targets would take us back there...

Oh that's bad. Maybe other types of missions that do not need 3D objects? Like reconnaissance over towns and villages? To have them to be flown over by planes of the opposing coalition (and maybe for a certain amount of time). This would also give purpose to the U-2 :)

To move the frontline early, do only the front objects of both sectors have to be destroyed?

if yes, would it make sense to have players destroy all objects (even rear depots / bridges / train stations) to a certain % in order to move frontlines before the mission timer runs out?

this would make players attack train stations and rear objects a bit more, as often (imo) those are untouched. Maybe they are sometimes too close to a spawn field, so that flak coverage is basically suicide. If this could be adjusted to have a minimum distance to a spawn field (let‘s say no closer than 15km) it would make the targets more attractive.

We can set there to be three conflicts instead of the two. Let's see if that's too heavy.

6 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

To move the frontline early, do only the front objects of both sectors have to be destroyed?

if yes, would it make sense to have players destroy all objects (even rear depots / bridges / train stations) to a certain % in order to move frontlines before the mission timer runs out?

this would make players attack train stations and rear objects a bit more, as often (imo) those are untouched. Maybe they are sometimes too close to a spawn field, so that flak coverage is basically suicide. If this could be adjusted to have a minimum distance to a spawn field (let‘s say no closer than 15km) it would make the targets more attractive.

This is one option, and yes, would need the spacing between the active airfields and targets.

• Upvote 1