LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

On 8/16/2018 at 6:13 PM, MeoW.Scharfi said:

Even I don't know this guy, maybe I hurt him before? 💔

Oh... I didn't know he was pretending you.

I am jealous

Server is now running the Kuban implementation and a new tour has started on the stats site.

Due to the map having only two factories per side, we've halved the time a factory object stays destroyed to 24 hours. I also adjusted the depot object repair time down a bit (from 20 to 15 minutes per "hop").

One notable change was done to tank bases. We replaced the machine guns in the tank bases with heavy AA, so each base now has one heavy AA.

Couple of known issues:
- The situation map in il2missionplanner is offset somewhat

- There are some "zavod" blocks containing buildings that don't seem to get destroyed no matter what. I don't yet know if it is really the case or is it just that the representation is mismatched with the actual destroyed status. This seems to be a game bug.

Now that we don't have the moving tanks anymore, it's possible to extend the battle over the Kerch strait. That will be done later this year.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The lack of distance between covering airfields and the frontline / tankbases AND the new resupply times makes depot and factory strikes unfeasible.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

With those resupply times and flak it's pointless to fly anymore.

It's a fake game on a computer.  Was there ever really a point?

9 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

With those resupply times and flak it's pointless to fly anymore. 

9 hours ago, EAF_Starfire said:

The lack of distance between covering airfields and the frontline / tankbases AND the new resupply times makes depot and factory strikes unfeasible. 

Umm...why? The factory stays down for a day (24h). It doesn't take a day to destroy a factory. You'll have plenty of time to then destroy the depots and then attack the tank bases.

We've noted that people hammer their heads against the tank bases... and then complain about the respawn times. Destroy the factory (which determine depot repair times, among others) and then the depots (which repair everything) first. Then it is feasible to attack the tank bases.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

S!

The server was down after a crash that happened late yesterday night. Problem now fixed, server up and running.

Now investigating what's wrong with the map item coordinate export to il2missionplanner.com...

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

I read through the initial post and I really liked what I was reading about this server. However after a quick 129 sortie and a view of the mission in the editor I see lots of issues immediately. 

Factories are placed in the middle of no-where with trees ect intersecting buildings. Artillery placement doesn't quite make sense with "bombs" right by them as ammo stores, I guess. The AAA is set to normal and high as far as I could tell by looking over a few groups. This is OP when you have 5 x 20mm shooting at you - you are guaranteed to die if in a slower plane like 129 or ju 87. You need a mix of low and normal for the smaller guns and normal fine for the large 88s ect. I never understood how people put up with this lazer guided accuracy. 

I like the concept but in execution it actually kills immersion for a ground attacker like myself. Granted my "perfect server" in concept would seem cool but would people actually play it? probably not. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NETSCAPE said:

IFactories are placed in the middle of no-where with trees ect intersecting buildings. Artillery placement doesn't quite make sense with "bombs" right by them as ammo stores, I guess. The AAA is set to normal and high as far as I could tell by looking over a few groups. This is OP when you have 5 x 20mm shooting at you - you are guaranteed to die if in a slower plane like 129 or ju 87. You need a mix of low and normal for the smaller guns and normal fine for the large 88s ect. I never understood how people put up with this lazer guided accuracy.

Middle of nowhere? They're in cities. What do you mean by bombs next to artillery?

We've had the "OP AAA" discussion about 100 times now, and no, it's not OP, you just need proper tactics against it.

• Like 1

S!

As we made the mission lighter, and at least in our test the lag has decreased, we now have increased the player to the maximum of 84 players.

Bomber guys have also wished that we eliminate the chance of overcast, which we did, so level bombing should be possible now in every mission. The cloud coverage should now be always 0-50%.

Also, some players demand that we should penalize death more (more TAW style). Reasoning being, that it would reduce mindless furballing over targets. What do you guys/gals think of these options?
If you die / get captured:
1) HC: End of career, award points and award planes gone, basic planes gone.  This would mean that you're forced to either wait for factory supply, or fly a supply flight yourself.

2) Not so HC: Award points and award planes gone.

3) Fine as it is. Currently death/being captured isn't penalized per se. You lose the plane you were flying (basic/award) and don't get any award points for the flight.

Ps. is it possible to  create a poll on these forums in existing thread..?

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

50 minutes ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

1) HC: End of career, award points and award planes gone, basic planes gone.  This would mean that you're forced to either wait for factory supply, or fly a supply flight yourself.

Ps. is it possible to  create a poll on these forums in existing thread..?

Number ONE is my choice. You can make poll on the Polls-section! :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

Number ONE is my choice. You can make poll on the Polls-section! :)

I concur with the loss of everything. Since dead is dead. But I like the idea of doing a resupply will keep people flying.

it is more or less what the InWar server does as well as what SOW.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 9/12/2018 at 3:06 PM, NETSCAPE said:

I read through the initial post and I really liked what I was reading about this server. However after a quick 129 sortie and a view of the mission in the editor I see lots of issues immediately. 

Factories are placed in the middle of no-where with trees ect intersecting buildings. Artillery placement doesn't quite make sense with "bombs" right by them as ammo stores, I guess. The AAA is set to normal and high as far as I could tell by looking over a few groups. This is OP when you have 5 x 20mm shooting at you - you are guaranteed to die if in a slower plane like 129 or ju 87. You need a mix of low and normal for the smaller guns and normal fine for the large 88s ect. I never understood how people put up with this lazer guided accuracy.  

I like the concept but in execution it actually kills immersion for a ground attacker like myself. Granted my "perfect server" in concept would seem cool but would people actually play it? probably not. 

We deal in two ways with the AAA:

1. Way (for solo pilots) -- climb to 3000m in Ju-88 or He-111, gain maximum level speed, drop 1800kg bombs in the AAA area,  turn around. The glide path of the bombs gives you enough distance from AAA to survive if you break off immediately. Repeat as long as necessary.

2. Way (for pair or more) -- two experienced 109s fly in the area, one drags AAA fire onto himself, the other one picks the artillery pads with cannon fire. Results vary.

Hs-129 is useless on this map, even against the tanks.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OpticFlow said:

We deal in two ways with the AAA:

1. Way (for solo pilots) -- climb to 3000m in Ju-88 or He-111, gain maximum level speed, drop 1800kg bombs in the AAA area,  turn around. The glide path of the bombs gives you enough distance from AAA to survive if you break off immediately. Repeat as long as necessary.

2. Way (for pair or more) -- two experienced 109s fly in the area, one drags AAA fire onto himself, the other one picks the artillery pads with cannon fire. Results vary.

Hs-129 is useless on this map, even against the tanks.

Personal favourite tactic is to dive 90 degrees from 2500m with 110, drop 1000kg bomb after a short dive. Same works with Pe-2 and 2x500kg. Then proceed to pick AAA with a team mate. One drags, other one attacks. Most times both survive. It is meant to be hard, but very much possible. Even solo.

• Sad 1

Even with tactics above it takes many sorties to destroy factory, time which most of us don't have so when joining server next day everything is respawned.

It could work only if there is a high number of players online attacking it, which there isn't.

And if there is than airfield proximity makes it suicide with enemy fighters defending it or players just do other stuff.

Going for depot without destroying factory is no go too....respawn times again.

Last night i tried to attack tankbase but next sortie everything respawned despite depot and factory were far away, so i left.

Problem now is those respawn times which makes progress non-existent taking away any reward.

Also factory building placement and damage demands high number of sorties.

So when joining server only objective is factory, than depots and finally tankbases which give real progress but currently untouchable untill you deal with factory/depot.

Solution:

-distance between factories, airfields and tankbases.

-respawn times

-factories and depots more easy to destroy

• Upvote 1

S!

As per request, you now get punished :) ... Now, if you die or get captured, you will start a new career. Meaning that we add a death entry to the stats (when captured), and your award points and planes are taken away. You start with 1 basic plane on each airfield.

Capture logic goes like this:
If you ditch / bail out directly over the front line (right between closest friendly and enemy base), your chance for escape is 100%. If you ditch/bail right next to an enemy base (tank base / airfield / depot / factory) your chance to escape is 0%. The chance increases with the distance to the closest enemy base. If you land on enemy airfield, you are automatically captured (with no escape roll made), unless you are flying paratroopers and the airfield capture is enabled. Ditching / bailing in friendly territory is of course safe.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, EAF_Ribbon said:

Solution:

-distance between factories, airfields and tankbases.

-respawn times

-factories and depots more easy to destroy

IMHO, the Kuban map is quite cramped as regards airfield locations and feasible placing of tank battles. We could use less airfields (currently we start with 8 per side) to make it less cramped.

Now that I'm back from holiday, I can start flying more again, and thus get my own feel about the current respawn times and how hard it is to destroy factories and depots. I'll also be flying on Russian side more often to develop my understanding of the capabilities of the Russian hardware.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

IMHO, the Kuban map is quite cramped as regards airfield locations and feasible placing of tank battles. We could use less airfields (currently we start with 8 per side) to make it less cramped.

Now that I'm back from holiday, I can start flying more again, and thus get my own feel about the current respawn times and how hard it is to destroy factories and depots. I'll also be flying on Russian side more often to develop my understanding of the capabilities of the Russian hardware.

Problem is that one airfield that is right next to factory. (Not quite big problem)

Real issue is respawn times and even more number of sorties to take down factory and depot, as map progress tells by itself in the last month since Kuban map is out.

I really like new implementation that @Untamo posted and will add immersion to the server, only thing IMO is missing a bit more/easier progress.

And that can be achieved by either factory DM rework, respawn times a bit more lasting or reducing AA over TB by 2 (from 10 to 6-8).

Saying this cos there is no server with such feel of ongoing campaign like yours. 

I remember days when real progress were made and it was really rewarding, now would be even more with new implementations.

Now players are forced to engage factory than depots first while back in the days ppl would find and choose between objectives what suits them the most, they had more choice.

Some went bombing factory/depot while others engaged TB's.

Also at some point having naval objective like merchant fleet with destroyer cover like in KotA would be awesome.....maybe instead of factory or depot.

Once more thank you guys for your work and contribution to this sim.🙂

2 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

IMHO, the Kuban map is quite cramped as regards airfield locations and feasible placing of tank battles.

I am unable to see how. There are many airfields on the Kuban map, but pilots might have to fly a little longer before getting to a tankbase.

When your guys said that you was implementing Kuban, I was quite sure that we would have fighting over the strait of Kerch as well as fighting along the southeren sea.

13 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Also at some point having naval objective like merchant fleet with destroyer cover like in KotA would be awesome.....maybe instead of factory or depot.

Once more thank you guys for your work and contribution to this sim.🙂

13 hours ago, EAF_Starfire said:

I am unable to see how. There are many airfields on the Kuban map, but pilots might have to fly a little longer before getting to a tankbase.

When your guys said that you was implementing Kuban, I was quite sure that we would have fighting over the strait of Kerch as well as fighting along the southeren sea.

At the time we said we were doing Kuban, we still had the moving tanks, so what Starfire said was not really feasible. Now it is, and it's possible to expand the map. I would like to remove the factories that now are in the frontline (Krymskaya and Krasnodar) and move them to be further in the back (e.g. Marfovka and Maikop). We could also have a "tank base" battle on the north and south portions of the Kerch strait (advancing from Zaporozhskaya and Taman). I'd like to see action in the south of the map too, so I'll look into what kind of naval action we could get there (maybe have a "loop" to Maikop).

• Like 1

The expansion is almost done and we'll most likely get to test it tonight. In addition to the battles on the western side of the Kerch strait and the naval "tank bases", I moved the Krymskaya factory to Agibel, and the Krasnodar factory to Maikop. There will be two new airfields per side on the starting situation: Semisotka and Gelendzhik for Germans and Lazarevskoye and Maikop for Russians. In addition, there will be seven new tank battles and four marine battles. Will be interesting to see what kind of load there will be on the dserver from the marine battles.

We'll also need to look at the repair times after this change is done. Idea is that you would need to do at least some damage to the factories and depots in order to get the battle forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I set up another instance of the dynamic war system running with icons, GPS, kill notifications, and custom skins on. The server name is:

"Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War ICONS and GPS ON"

This server is already running the expanded Kuban map. No stats, at least not yet.

We'll be putting the expanded map on the no icons etc. server too tonight, I'll just fix a small thing for that first.

9 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

We'll be putting the expanded map on the no icons etc. server too tonight, I'll just fix a small thing for that first.

The expanded map is running on the no icons server now.

• Like 1

The durabilities of factory and depot buildings was adjusted down on both servers (in many cases about halved from existing ones). There were also a bunch of inconsistencies in the durability values, so those are fixed now too.

I also set the AI levels to Low on the icons and gps server. If you get killed by flak there now, I suggest you take a long look at the mirror to find the reason for it :)

A word of thanks 😃

The change of distance, moving the factories in the rear was a great move.

EAF did two sorties like that yesterday and we really enjoyed it even though we took damage and loses from the FLAK.

Very immersive. We really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, EAF_Starfire said:

The change of distance, moving the factories in the rear was a great move.

Yeah, I noticed that when doing the first tests too. Have to keep it in mind when making the Stalingrad map :)

Edit: I wanted to add a "ship convoy depot" on the southern side, but as it would be in the mission with the naval battle, I will have to see what kind of load the naval battle creates before adding it.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

Does anyone know why the mission planner is not working?

Curiousgamblerr is very busy IRL currently. Maybe he'll fix it this weekend.

S!

Award system is getting a makeover, to something more like Aces High's perk system. We've been running tests for the new system for a while now on the "icons on"-server and the system seems mature enough. Changes are as follows:

- The concept of division of airplanes into basic / award is no more. Instead, every airplane has a price tag, which can also be zero (tier 1 and support aircraft: supply / paratrooper / repair planes are free).

- The planes are divided into tiers depending on their performance. Tier determines the price for the plane. Currently the prices go as follows:

Tier 1: 0

Tier 2: 50

Tier 3: 100

Tier 4: 175

Tier 5: 300

Tier 6: 550

Tier 7: 1000

- These prices are modified by the balance of players on the server. The modifier is the cube root of the player balance. For example: 1 player on allies, 10 on axis -> cube root of 1/10 ~ 0,46 -> allies get a discount of 54% to their plane prices, and conversely, axis have to pay 215% for their planes (cube root of 10/1 ~ 2,15). To get the current prices of planes, use <cost -command. It tells the current tier prices, and to what tier each plane belongs to.

- When you "buy" an airplane, it is taken from your hangar of airplanes for that airfield, and behaves as award planes did before, as in, it is now persistent, meaning that instead of being just a number, it has a type and location. The bought plane stays in use as long as it doesn't get destroyed. As before, you can track how many planes in hangar and bought planes you have (and where they are) with the <planes command.

- As before, you gain award points by shooting down enemy airplanes and destroying ground targets, and then successfully landing at a friendly base. The change to previous version is that you aren't limited to 1+1 (fighter + ground attack) points per flight, and also the division to fighter/GA is gone also. And as the points are no longer exchanged 1:1 to airplanes, the awards have to change too. Now, we give points for each kill you make during your flight depending on target. The points for air kill depend on the attacker airplane's tier vs. the tier of the one being shot down. If you for example shoot down a Me262 with I-16, you get huge reward. When you kill a I-16 with the 262, you get practically nothing. The scoring goes by tier difference as follows:

Tier difference, defender minus attacker:

-6: 10

-5: 25

-4: 40

-3: 55

-2: 70

-1: 85

0: 100

1: 133

2: 167

3: 200

4: 233

5: 267

6: 300

And for other types of kills:

- Ground: 50

- Support aircraft(supply/paras/repair): 150

And for missions:

- Supply: 150

- Repair airfield: 500

- Repair factory: 250

- Capture airfield: 500

We used highly scientific method (pulled them out of our a**es) to get these numbers, so if you have good arguments how to adjust them, we will gladly listen :)

Also:

You may have noticed the "Repair factory" mission in the list above. This is a new type of mission you can make to repair factories. Take off with a repair plane, and fly it to the airfield next to a factory to repair it. The airfield needs to be open (otherwise it will repair the airfield). When you successfully deliver repair to the factory, one factory block gets repaired. This only works if you took off from another airfield, so don't try to cheat ;)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Thanks 2

Updated the mission briefing to have info about the current award mechanics.

Made the naval battle ”bases” a bit more spacious.

Added two ”Naval convoy” depots.

Adjusted a couple of building durabilities.

• Thanks 2

These additions look nice! Custom skins open in the server now as well?

Thanks for the server!

12 hours ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Custom skins open in the server now as well?

Nope, they're locked for good. But there's a positive side to this: We can enable the Ju-52 for the red side, with locked skin.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

S!

Small update:
VR users have requested shorter chat commands, so here they are:
<t - short for <tl, tells you the remaining time on server.

<f - short for <field, tells you the details of a map object, airfield for example.
<p - short for <planes, tells your plane supply status on airfields, and where your bought planes are.
<a - short for <awards, tells your award point status.
<c - short for <cost, tells you the plane tier costs and on what tier plane is on.

Also, factory block destruction points now separated from other ground kills, as it is somewhat harder to destroy a factory block than for example single AAA or tank. 100 points for one block.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1