LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Q: How to tell which planes are basic planes and which are award planes in the game?

A: Check the planes list on an airfield. First planes listed are basic planes, then come the paras/repair/supply planes, after that come the award planes. See the attached picture.

awardplanesetgrouping.thumb.png.d827a7c911d5477d51951dcb546ac190.png

• Like 1

S!

Okay, here we go.

Basic idea:
Get kills -> bring them safely home -> gain award points -> use award points to purchase award planes.

Details:

Gaining award points:

Kills:

Award points are divided into two categories, "FIGHTER"  and "GA" (ground attack, duh ;) ). You get a fighter award point by making an air kill, and then landing safely on a friendly airfield. Likewise, you get a ground attack award point by making a ground target kill and landing safely. Note: Strafing another player on the runway(wheels on the ground) will count as a ground kill. Maximum 1 point per type per flight (1 FIGHTER + 1 GA).

Support:

You also get award points by making support missions, so landing a repair/supply/paratroopers will give you 1+1 points. Do note that repair only works on closed airfields, paratroopers only work on closed and capture-enabled enemy airfields, and supply only works on open friendly airfields :)

<awards -chat command:

Use the "<awards" command in chat to see how many FIGHTER and GA points you currently have.

Using award points:

Purchase an award plane:

Select an award plane you want from the plane list (see Temuri's illustration above, and the rolling plane set table before that) and press Start. If you have at least award point for the type (FIGHTER/GA) you will be deducted one point and you will be allowed to take off. If you don't have any award points for the type you want to use, but have 2 or more for the other type, you will be deducted 2 points for this exchange. Example: You have 0 FIGHTER points and 2 GA points. You take off with bf109g14(which is an award fighter) -> you will be deducted 2 GA points and will have 0+0 remaining.

No points to use:

If you have no points for the type, and not enough to convert, then you will be warned about this and that you cannot take off with this type. Taking off in this case will result in a kick.

Already have an award plane:

If you already have an award plane (for example: bf109g14)  on the airfield that you want to take off with, then just go ahead.

<planes -chat command:

Use the "<planes" command to see how many basic planes you have on airfields, and where your award planes are. As before, you can use airfield alias after the command to see situation for just one airfield (for example: "<planes f1").

RPS and persistence:

The award planes are persistent, meaning that when you land one on an airfield, it will be waiting there(on that specific airfield) until you take off with it again. You can encounter a situation when the Rolling Plane Set rotates(from last set to the first), and now the award plane is no longer available. Fear not, it will become available as the rps advances again.

Ferrying:

You can ferry award planes from one airfield to another, just take off and land on another airfield. WARNING: If the enemy captures an airfield where you have award planes stored, they will be lost, considered war loot for the enemy, so consider ferrying your award planes out of harms way!

Ok, how about when the airfield where you have an award plane isn't in the current mission? "<ferry" command to the rescue!

<ferry -chat command:

Use the "<ferry" command to ferry an award plane from an airfield that isn't in the current mission to another airfield (that can also be absent from current mission). Usage: "<ferry aircraft_name source destination". Source and destination is the airfield alias (f1, f2, f3 etc.). The correct format for the airfield aircraft name can be seen in the <planes command, and in the airplane selection screen, under the airplane type. You can see the airfield aliases on the map, plus in the <planes command. The ferry transfer takes 15min.

For example, if I want to ferry my bf109g14 from f1 to f2, the command would be: "<ferry bf109g14 f1 f2".

Chat feedback:

The system will now give feedback of your actions. When taking a basic plane on the runway, it will tell you the current amount you have left on that airfield. Same for landing. You will be notified when you take off and land with an award plane. You will get a chat message telling you when you receive award points. Etc etc.

Enjoy the new system, make some kills, and most importantly, BRING THEM HOME! .. And as always, there might be some bugs that we weren't able to crush during testing, so if you encounter them, give us a shout here on the forums, or send email to gameserver(at)virtualpilots(dot)fi.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is very cool.

Is the server busy? I'm currently in a period of inactivity and the server stats look markedly depressing.

My flight time is reduced also last few months, hope to fly it a bit more in the upcoming days.

I see server empty again, not sure is it due to ppl going on a summer vacation and world cup in Russia.

So i have another suggestion;

As mentioned before by server admins on removing feature of moving/attacking tanks to improve server performance which i greatly support, maybe adding additional static ground targets could be achieved and flak number on tank bases decreased so flying alone can have more purpose other than bombing depots and factories.

Maybe it would attract more ppl into server cos not all pilots fly bombers and in pairs or teams.

I noticed that since my EAF wingmans are on a little summer break.

I destroyed depot and went for a tank base but shortly after i got killed by that super flak so i gave up and leaved the server cos i care about my virtual lifes.

Also destroying something else other than building is a bit more rewarding and now going for a tank base alone is pure suicide.

I see a lot of guys pop in server get killed and leave.

When no squadrons flying server is moslty empty.

Server could get more populated if there is a something rewarding for lone wolf pilots, lets say 5-6 loners come in server and that would attract more players...numbers attract numbers.

Anyway just an suggestion!

Btw how is Kuban map scenario going?

Looking forward to it very much, i hope there will be some naval objectives, for example static cargo ships can be substitute for depots.

• Upvote 1

Maybe get someone with an audience to do a little show and tell on the server update. I know Magz just did an announcement for a server event and those usually draw a bit of a crowd. There have been some grumbling on other servers about some decisions made and the general conclusion is the player base just has to put up with it as there is no other option. May be this server should show up to be the option?

Kuban map airfields, depots, and factories are now placed. Next I need to go through all the durability values for the blocks, check all the tank bases Kippari made, update the object location stuffs for the java, and of course do some test runs.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, EAF_Ribbon said:

Looking forward to it very much, i hope there will be some naval objectives, for example static cargo ships can be substitute for depots.

Last time I checked there were no static (i.e. without AI) ship objects available, and my experience is that ships cause quite a bit of load per object, so I have to disappoint you.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:11 PM, Disarray said:

There have been some grumbling on other servers about some decisions made and the general conclusion is the player base just has to put up with it as there is no other option. May be this server should show up to be the option?

But we have made decisions too, and players have to put up with them :)

• Sad 1

You have, I think, misunderstood me. Right now there are a number of people discontent with the way other servers are running, some have said so directly while other have hinted at it. Their big problem, as they see it, is that there are no alternatives to these servers they have a problem with. Put yourself forward as an alternative. Your server is really quite good. Not entirely without problems but what is these days? The only real problem your server has, in my view, is that there aren't enough players on it most of the time. Fix that and the rest, mostly matters of personal taste or want of refinement, follows. 

Edited by Disarray

55 minutes ago, Disarray said:

in my view, is that there aren't enough players on it most of the time. Fix that

How best do you suggest fixing this? When I ran a server, this is some of the feedback I received:

"These missions are so much better than Wings, but I'm going back to Wings. No one to shoot."

"Wow, this server is so much better, why do people go to Wings? *5mins later* Well, we're off to Wings; that's were people flock."

"I really like how you setup the airfield and the objectives make sense, but there's no one to shoot. Off to Wings we go. God I hate that place."

I suspect, Finnish Virtual Pilots are getting similar feedback... But how do they get the masses to switch to the better server?

I already said how I think this can be done. Find someone who has an audience, who likes the server, and get them to plug it. The whole 'if you build it they will come' is only half of it. First build it, job done, then tell people about it. All the people complaining that the bombs and stuff are locked on Wings? Bombs and stuff aren't locked on Finish, go there. Want to fly planes you don't normally get an opportunity to because of the plane set on TAW or Wings? Go to Finish, they are available there a lot of the time. Don't like this or that? Go to Finish, this or that isn't there, and so on.

1 minute ago, Disarray said:

I already said how I think this can be done. Find someone who has an audience, who likes the server, and get them to plug it. The whole 'if you build it they will come' is only half of it. First build it, job done, then tell people about it. All the people complaining that the bombs and stuff are locked on Wings? Bombs and stuff aren't locked on Finish, go there. Want to fly planes you don't normally get an opportunity to because of the plane set on TAW or Wings? Go to Finish, they are available there a lot of the time. Don't like this or that? Go to Finish, this or that isn't there, and so on.

I agree with you Disarray. But how and where? Who would listen?  I have done exactly as you say in here on the forums, in reddit, and even on the Wings server. In all cases, I got told to "get the f out of here with that new server stuff!" and no one really converted. 

People look at player count pretty heavily in my experience. If there's only 2-3 people playing they don't even bother joining. "Look, Wings has 50 players, and this *insert better server* only has 2 people. I want to kill people, so I'll go there regardless of how shitty the missions are, locked planes or no, and how toxic the player community is."  I personally think the only way you'll get traction is too have a large clan switch to Finnish (or any other server), and play on that server regardless of numbers. With the larger player count from the large clan, the others players will come. This happened often on [TWB]'s server when 19th and TWB were on or if the Wings server went down.

I also think a large party of the IL-2 community comes from UK and Russia, so you need to figure out a way to get the Russian pilots to convert from Wings (a Russian owned server). Both culturally have loyalty to their nationality (no offense, just making observations), and getting them to switch to a non-Russian server would be difficult unless the player numbers are there, and not in Wings. Maybe when BoBp hits, more American pilots (who typically don't have national loyalty to a server) will buy into IL-2 and fly on [a different server] than Wings.

I have noticed this trend of numbers flocking to numbers, as well. It makes a certain amount of sense to me. Multiplayer isn't all that fun without the 'multi' bit. I've noticed some servers run events in conjunction with various communities, The Unprofessionals server, for example, work with Magz to get events going during Australia time. Maybe something like that could draw numbers. Prime the pump as it were. Trying certainly won't cause things to get worse.

If national loyalty to a server is a thing, and I don't know that it is, I don't know how to overcome that.

It's very true, our server needs advertising... Need to recruit some YouTube celeb to our cause :) .. But anyone willing can help too.  Tell a friend etc :)

But anyways, finally got the redirect working, the STATS are now found here (old address works fine too):

http://stats.virtualpilots.fi

Your award points for each side can now be seen on the Awards tab of the Pilot Statistics page:
http://stats.virtualpilots.fi/en/awards/27/LLv34_Untamo/?tour=23

The award point information is in sync with what you get with the "<awards" command in-game, so it's "real-time".

Now that I got that working, we'd have the possibility to list the output of the "<planes" command too. Note that the information would be public to all, so you'd see how many basic and award planes your opponents have on each field. Would you want to see that information too?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Now that I got that working, we'd have the possibility to list the output of the "<planes" command too. Note that the information would be public to all, so you'd see how many basic and award planes your opponents have on each field. Would you want to see that information too?

Did that too. Might add sorting for the airfields later.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:56 PM, LLv34_Temuri said:

Kuban map airfields, depots, and factories are now placed. Next I need to go through all the durability values for the blocks, check all the tank bases Kippari made, update the object location stuffs for the java, and of course do some test runs.

Durabilities and object locations for airfields, depots, and factories done. Tank bases next.

Ah, I hadn't considered the patch causing trouble. Thanks for the clarification.

S!

Yes, until the missionresaver.exe problem is fixed, server stays down. You can help by bombarding the devs with requests to fix it.

Server rules:
-This is a total war server, so basically no rules, so any dirty trick you can imagine, if it helps to defeat the enemy, it's ok :) ... Attacking airfields basically demands for vulching, etc.
- No teamkilling, this includes ground targets. There's now an automatic system in place to detect this, and players will be punished if they TK. If you are a victim of a false positive, give us an email.
- Gentleman rules are of course appreciated (no chute shooting etc.). No insulting other players.

Has chutekilling legalized on this server?

I was online yesterday after a long holiday and had to read up on the changes.

We flew Blue and where unable to fly Fw190A3 which should be a Basic Plane (http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/info/)

Is it an error in the server software or a misunderstanding on my part of the server info?

Edited by EAF_Starfire

7 minutes ago, EAF_Starfire said:

Has chutekilling legalized on this server?

I was online yesterday after a long holiday and had to read up on the changes.

We flew Blue and where unable to fly Fw190A3 which should be a Basic Plane (http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/info/)

Is it an error in the server software or a misunderstanding on my part of the server info?

1. No.

2. It's an error on your part. FW 190 A3 is listed as an award plane (marked with green) on planeset 3, which is currently running.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

1. No.

2. It's an error on your part. FW 190 A3 is listed as an award plane (marked with green) on planeset 3, which is currently running.

Thanks Temuri

1. I believe that the rule of no chute killing needs rephrasing. We had a chutekiller yesterday which did not interpret the rules  Gentlemens rules, "Apriciate" means thankfull. It belive it should be "Chute-killing will get you banned"!

My current interpretation that no amount of ground awards will get me access to use the 190A3/A5 in a groundattack role. Is that a fair interpretation?

If my interpretation is correct, would it not be fair to enforce removal of ground-attack load-outs from fighters?

OR

make the 190A3/5 available with enforced bombloads when ground-attack awards have been earned?

Edited by EAF_Starfire
needed rephrasing

You can always get an award fighter by using two GA points, or an award GA plane by using two fighter points.

One possibility is to add GA variants of select fighters with forced bomb/rocket/etc. loads, and define them as GA planes. It's just a bit more work server side :)

• Upvote 1

I have no knowledge of luftwaffe operational procedures, but I read that Typhoons almost newer switches between rocket and bomb load out due to the time It took to make the change.

4 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

You can always get an award fighter by using two GA points, or an award GA plane by using two fighter points.

One possibility is to add GA variants of select fighters with forced bomb/rocket/etc. loads, and define them as GA planes. It's just a bit more work server side :)

I need to double check my point status 😉

2 minutes ago, EAF_Starfire said:

I have no knowledge of luftwaffe operational procedures, but I read that Typhoons almost newer switches between rocket and bomb load out due to the time It took to make the change.

I need to double check my point status 😉

http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/awards/1209/EAF_Starfire/?tour=23

Info on the Awards tab is live, i.e. it's pretty much the same info you get with the chat commands in-game. The in-game info just filters out the airfields that are not in the current mission.

• Thanks 1

So it is a 'total war' where every dirty trick and dick move tactic is legal, but let's be civil about things? Well, that is interesting. I could certainly see how that will cause some confusion. Perhaps if you want to avoid any rules lawyering you should be a bit more explicit.

I see no contradiction. Yes, total war, as in you can shoot and kill and cause havoc to the the enemy as you please. This does not rule out being a gentleman in your behaviour.

Chute shooting does not advance your cause in any way, and it's a totally dick thing to do, so there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to do it.

But yes, I will rephrase the original post.

• Thanks 1

S!

Finnish Virtual Pilots Association's summer happening, the Mosquito Meeting 2018 starts tomorrow. There will be unusually high amount of drunk finns on the server for the duration of the meeting (Thursday - Sunday) ... so beware ;) .. We will using secret weapons like sauna, "FlakPanzer Oil" and other mythical stuff in our favor... or disfavor, we'll see. 

First of all, thanks for all the effort you are doing.

The server is fun but when people crowds one of the teams it does not make any sense, are you just playing to grind for stats? In the end we were two vs 15, so sad.

List of shame

tKXD5aD.jpg

Edited by E69_Qpassa

The shame is yours because you don't say that a very few minutes before the teams were balanced...

If then your teammates log out and leave you alone you can't blame your opponents!
But anyway when you were playing in numerical superiority you didn't say anything!

S!

PS Great job Finnish guys 😄

Edited by ITAF_Cymao
  • Haha 1

That's simply not true, we took off two players from the northern airfield and you were 14 at the time. I don't play exclusively one band so I don't care, always try to balance. You seem to be having fun grinding the tier, enjoy playing Solitaire. Glad for you♡

Next time I will record it. At the moment there are 0 ally, 9 axis. Cymao and you are playing and I'm not surprised 

Edited by E69_Qpassa

The balance fluctuates heavily during the day. Last night (as usual) the situation went both ways. For quite some time there were double amount of reds compared to blues. It isn't anyones duty to balance. Fly what side you want. Momentary inbalances don't matter much in the long run... in long run it balances out. Victory of the whole map takes days.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

19 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Yes. I got inside a Hornet:

EA90E88C-C54F-4F94-BA00-42B5301B948B.jpeg

I see you you have wisely taken care of your personal hydration, which is very important at the moment with the heat wave in Finland. I also see, that maybe you have consumed liquids a bit too much, considering the circumstances and the precense of merry men around you, I see that happening very easily.

Anyway, you are clearily confused with that huge hairdryer and doing it all wrong; what you are looking into, is a closet. If you go upstairs, there is terrace with class roof and a chair. Staff will serve drinks, you can call them by pushing any red button in front of you.

Have fun guys at Mosquito Meeting 2018!

• Like 1