=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

6 hours ago, WokeUpDead said:

You mean that 70’s Bob Dylan song, yes?

Well, he's right, no one wants to listen to the Guns n' Roses version.

• Upvote 1

Is there any "place" where the VVS  is organized and some kind of (unofficial) commander/s are giving useful targets/information? I barely have time to fly and if, never more then some 40min or so, so no time to get organized with other people in TS. On those occasions i'd rather do something useful then doing meaningless attack runs or cover assets that don't get attacked anyway.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

Sometimes DServer crashes and stops generating log files, then the script end mission and generate the next one. I will try to fix it adding condition when crash is before e.g. 1 hour then script loads the same mission one more time.

There is also rare bug in DServer when after loading the mission it doesn't allow anyone to connect and DServer runs empty. I will try to fix it as well by reloading current mission one more time.

Thank you Kathon.

1 hour ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Is there any "place" where the VVS  is organized and some kind of (unofficial) commander/s are giving useful targets/information?

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure such a thing exists, at least not one that co-ordinates everyone that flies Red. Does such a thing exist for everyone that flies Blue? I doubt that too. There are certainly little groups, both squads and just people who band together on the spur of the moment, but that's not the same and does't have the same effect.

While getting everyone on-board with a common co-ordinated goal has many plus sides to it, equally it has a couple of real down sides.

First and foremost is the language barrier. This is no small issue.

Then there is the first question of trust. Many people fly both sides and run two accounts to do so, they also take TAW ultra seriously and are not past using any information to the benefit of their preferred team. I've been drag'n'bagged with this caper already, so it's quite a real issue.

Then there is the second question of trust. Who makes the decisions and are they universally trusted?, is everyone happy with that persons assessment and so on?

==============================

I'm keen to see what the developer comes up with for the "Air Marshal" feature and how it addresses the points I have just highlighted.

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.

Whatever anyone thinks about Bob Dylan, he was certainly original...and he had a strong right arm for a puny little guy :biggrin:

• Like 2

@=LG=Kathon, can you show us the pilot killed by aircraft from last TAW up to this point? 

I am curious, how the old TAW will compare to this TAW's pilot loss by air to air combat. AAA numbers are interesting, too ofc. Also, can the "other" be due to unconsciousness being now very common cause of death?  

So I started lonewolfing around in a fighter, which is absolutely not my business, and consequently died several times.

I saw on the web page I have now 0.62 lifes left. Read the manual, but did not find anything about dying and its consequences.

What now? Do I get new lifes over time? Or is it over for me?

53 minutes ago, No.322_Nocke said:

So I started lonewolfing around in a fighter, which is absolutely not my business, and consequently died several times.

I saw on the web page I have now 0.62 lifes left. Read the manual, but did not find anything about dying and its consequences.

What now? Do I get new lifes over time? Or is it over for me?

When your life counter drops to 0 you will be banned from the server for 20 hours.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:15 PM, =LG=Kathon said:

• To reduce number of “suicidal” sorties there are 3 lives for each map (there are 8 maps in total during the campaign). If pilot dies, captured or disco his live counter is reduced by:
    • 1 when he is in bigger team
    • X when he is in smaller team where X = #smaller_team/#bigger_team. Example: Axis players: 28, Allied players: 20 so X for Allied is 20/28 = 0.71.

Every time “Lives on map” counter (shown in pilots hangar) <= 0 then pilot has 24 hours time penalty (now it's 20hours). After this penalty counter is increased by 1 so he may fly again.

That was a wild flight.

I've spotted huge formation heading West from Kalinin, 5 Pe-2s and 1 MiG in cover, reported them for the rest of the team. While getting closer I've spotted more MiGs east from Pe-2s, but turning away, so I attacked one MiG over the bomber formation. Fighter went down quickly, so I dove to Peshkas, scoring very good hits in the first pass, sawing one Pe-2 in half. After that, I was looking for more fighter cover, but there wasn't any. So I started harassing the rest, to mark them with fuel, water or oil leaks. With success. Some of them dropped their bombs, and head back east with damage or very little damage. The last one was still very high and heading west. I've built my altitude again while chasing him. We've ended in the far north-west part of the map, close to the border. I've scored a few hits on him, he started a deep dive and I followed. Scoring few more hits, then everything went black. Scoring few more hits, then everything went black. I was wounded and passed out. After a few very long seconds I woke up, but my vision was blurry and red. I turned my head to check where is that Pe-2 and he was on my six firing at me. Fortunately, he didn't hit me, but I was so wounded that I barely can steer the aircraft. I've gained a distance between me and the bomber and started looking for landmarks so I can try to land. Wounded, leaking fuel and water I've found the airfield. A glance at speed, gear out, trim tail heavy, trying to land. Then I can see AA firing. No way, I will get killed while landing after all of that? Pe-2 dropped bombs on the airfield from a dive. Lucky me, he didn't spot me on his way out. I barely landed. A sigh of relief. Then, I can hear the growing sound of an engine from my right side. I've looked that way and I'm seeing a 109 going full throttle right at me. No fucking way.. after all of that, I will die on airfield from a crash accident? Quick, lights on, maybe flare in the air! That was my thought, but while doing that I looked again at him and I knew that's too late. No, no, no! ...and in the last second, he pulled his stick hard and he was in the air, passing me without touching my aircraft. 😂

That was a 90km chase and fight. Most important, they didn't drop the bombs on a depot. One MiG down, three Pe-2s down (I didn't get credit for one because of a bug), two Pe-2s damaged with their bombs dropped in forest (they landed safely on their airfields). Can I get a medal? And a good french barrel of wine for 109 pilot that avoid me.

PS. To my "enemies" that were involved in this flight. I have respect for you. Today I was victorious, tomorrow you will be. We don't need anger and hate. Salute.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

PS. To my "enemies" that were involved in this flight. I have respect for you.....

...just kidding....

10 hours ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

Every time “Lives on map” counter (shown in pilots hangar) <= 0 then pilot has 24 hours time penalty (now it's 20hours). After this penalty counter is increased by 1 so he may fly again.

Actually, just a minor point of clarification.  While that is the idea, what seems to happen is that when the lives on map counter drops to <= 0, it is increased by 1 instantly/automatically, and then the 20 hour penalty begins.  I've seen this as a confusing aspect, as guys see their lives are still greater than 0, thinking "why do I have the 20 hour penalty", and have posted as such in the past.  It's just that you've been given your +1 life right away instead of waiting to see it incremented after 20 hours.

• Upvote 1

Mini fokes blowing P2 formations.Nice histories.... practically the same when un attack ju88 on yak

😁

5 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

Mini fokes blowing P2 formations.Nice histories.... practically the same when un attack ju88 on yak

😁

Mini Focke? You mean 109 with gunpods? That was beautiful and naked 109, no gunpods.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

Mini Focke? You mean 109 with gunpods? That was beautiful and naked 109, no gunpods.

Don't destroy their narrative 😂

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

I turned my head to check where is that Pe-2 and he was on my six firing at me.

That sounds kinda familiar :biggrin:

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, WhiteMoose said:

Hi!

Im new to TAW but som how a time ago I registered on the page. Now I can’t login.

I want to register for the Allies 

You have to register again for each campaign and select allies. :)

55 minutes ago, WhiteMoose said:

So I don’t have to use my Il2 name? I can choose whatever name I like? Because when I write WhiteMoose it tells me that I already have a account 

Pilot by the name of "WhiteMoose" is already registered on this TAW for blue side and has flown twice already. That is you right?

If you want to fly for Allies this campaign, you have to register under different name (for example "RedWhiteMoose") AND you will also have to change your IL2 name to "RedWhiteMoose".

Edited by Letka_13/Kami-

How did Map#3 suddenly ended in a draw?

There surely were planes left on both sides, so is that because both sides ran out of tanks???

41 minutes ago, Letka_13/Kami- said:

Pilot by the name of "WhiteMoose" is already registered on this TAW for blue side and has flown twice already. That is you right?

If you want to fly for Allies this campaign, you have to register under different name (for example "RedWhiteMoose") AND you will also have to change your IL2 name to "RedWhiteMoose".

Thanks Mate! Yeah that me. But I had problems with the game and multiplayer setup. 
so I’ll do like

you said and register with another name 

On 12/4/2019 at 8:48 PM, Cpt_Siddy said:

@=LG=Kathon, can you show us the pilot killed by aircraft from last TAW up to this point? 

I am curious, how the old TAW will compare to this TAW's pilot loss by air to air combat. AAA numbers are interesting, too ofc. Also, can the "other" be due to unconsciousness being now very common cause of death?  

Unfortunately no. Before every campaign all database is cleared.

5 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

Actually, just a minor point of clarification.  While that is the idea, what seems to happen is that when the lives on map counter drops to <= 0, it is increased by 1 instantly/automatically, and then the 20 hour penalty begins.  I've seen this as a confusing aspect, as guys see their lives are still greater than 0, thinking "why do I have the 20 hour penalty", and have posted as such in the past.  It's just that you've been given your +1 life right away instead of waiting to see it incremented after 20 hours.

Yes, correct. Counter is increased by 1 instantly when it drops below 0. Sorry for the confusion. 

1 hour ago, WhiteMoose said:

So I don’t have to use my Il2 name? I can choose whatever name I like? Because when I write WhiteMoose it tells me that I already have a account 

You can change already registered WhiteMoose account to something else and registered a new account as WhiteMoose on the opposite side.

28 minutes ago, Paulshow2 said:

How did Map#3 suddenly ended in a draw?

There surely were planes left on both sides, so is that because both sides ran out of tanks???

Yes, Tank's limit for both sides was exceeded.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:22 AM, JG51_Ogg said:

You really are drinking your own grape kool-aid aren't you Jim Jones?  If you think that because a couple of bombers were hit at altitude by shrapnel can compare to getting hit in the head on the first shot by small arms fire then you deserve to go and play this by yourself, which by the way is the direction you are headed.  There are too many people getting one shot plinked and losing a "LIFE THAT MEANS SO MUCH" that they don't care to fly anymore.  3 lives and 1 time dead from a player.  twice one shot wondered from small arms fire AAA.  Sorry but I'll go play in the COMBAT BOX or Knights of the Air where the AI is at a realistic level and have more fun moving the maps there.

DG_Rhyn0,

I'd like to say I'm sorry for the mishap of being shot while in your chute by one of my squad members.  
He is sometimes an over zealous little twit, but we are trying to work him up to being honorable.
You see he is a young 13 year old who doesn't understand that a fight such as the one you put up against 2 110E2s was admirable.
I would rather have seen him do a fly by and give you a wing tip salute than shoot you.

I don't want to remove him from the squad but as I explained to him We as a squad don't want a reputation of being cheesy kill stealing chute killers.
He has been placed on probation with the squad and hopefully that alone will make him realize how serious we take this action.

If he wishes to provide an apology I would certainly appreciate it.

>S<

JG51_Ogg

JG51Molders Geschwader Kommodore

I am afraid that you shall educate the "II./JG51Castell" , he just shoot my chute. 

Didn't the JG51 leave like two TAW's ago? 

This rate of leaving is giving a Brexit a run for its money...

Edited by Cpt_Siddy
  • Haha 3

Hey Guys,

i keep getting kicked. Probably I´m banned.

Got a bit drunk, mistook a friendly plane, shot it down, panicked and quit.

Is there a chance to search for redemption, or do i have to look for a different server?

Edited by Julz

1 hour ago, Julz said:

Hey Guys,

Is there a chance to search for redemption, or do i have to look for a different server?

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot.php?name=Julz

^^ Your stats say you shouldn't be banned. I'd check you internet connection.

In the next TAW round would there be any chance of the odd night mission just so that those of us who don't fly fighters might actually stand a chance of getting to the target and back without being cannon fodder for the ubermensch? 

33 minutes ago, ilmavoimat said:

In the next TAW round would there be any chance of the odd night mission just so that those of us who don't fly fighters might actually stand a chance of getting to the target and back without being cannon fodder for the ubermensch? 

That, or a map rotation based done with time sequencing. 

Like:  30 minutes before sunrise (depending on map)  -> 9-11am -> 12-14pm  -> 18-20 pm -> and 30 mins before sunset depending on time of year. 

It appears TAW is losing more than just me.  Population on the server ranks 5th among servers.  Seems nobody give a crap for TAW AI 
Now I'm just here to bitch and laugh about my point being made by the populace.

3 hours ago, JG51_Ogg said:

It appears TAW is losing more than just me.  Population on the server ranks 5th among servers.  Seems nobody give a crap for TAW AI 

Edited by Cpt_Siddy
  • Haha 1

8 часов назад, Julz сказал:

Hey Guys,

Yes, you probably got banned for killing one of our mates, right above our AF after he just took off. And he got a penalty ban for 20hrs because of you as it was his last life.

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=42828&name=Julz

And it was very nice of you to leave without even short or brief explanation or excuse.

We wrote an official complain about you to the admin.

Edited by 72AG_Obi

Everyone should know that drinking and flying is a prohibited activity, especially on TAW. 😬

P.S.: Server is still not functioning.

Edited by [GCA]Kravixon

17 hours ago, JG51_Ogg said:

Where is this global ranking list indicating server populations? 

I would guess that any population loss for TAW is due to some pilots preferring to fly the recently introduced American planes and not primarily due to AI gunner or ground AA settings.  I prefer TAW due to its dynamic campaign which no other server currently provides so I will continue to fly it regardless of population levels though TAW and Combat Box are always the top two populated servers when I fly.

So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on what constitutes a fun gaming experience, Ogg.  In looking at your  5 hours of TAW gameplay this campaign, I honestly think you have very little clue on how to deal with  ground AA in TAW (e.g., 72-K).  The AA hasn't shot me down YET this campaign because I greatly respect it and utilize proper tactics to neutralize or kill it.  That's what makes TAW fun...adapting your tactics to best deal with a very hostile environment and avoiding the harsh penalties for failing.

Edited by SCG_Limbo
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

I have something to add on my opinion of the server in its current state.

In general I find the artillery to be okay in numbers but feel like the skill could be slightly lower. I don't think it should be about making artillery in a realistic representation, rather the focus should always be on gameplay. AAA should be enough of a deterrent for 1 plane to try and engage objectives at a minimum 2000-3000m in level bombing, simply because the server population is so skewed across most hours of a day. On the VVS, I simply cannot play with a decent team size in my timezone. Therefore, I'm largely relegated to doing... not much, except resupply and those level bombing runs, - hoping I won't encounter any fighters.

Defending our objectives then is more realistic, but I don't own BOM, so I cannot really do anything about that when the MiG-3 is available in larger quantity than the LaGG-3 across map. Why that is? I don't know. The LaGG-3 was produced in nearly double the quantity. I understand that maybe not many were deployed with the unreliable 37mm motor cannon, but the fact remains I don't have it, so how can I play? Anyway, as the LaGG-3 is generally considered to be the worse plane of the two, I think it is counterproductive to force people between a choice. It's no La-5 or Yak. I can't speak about the various Bf-109 models and their differences but I trust balance can be found for people facing the same issue on that side. 

I actually don't find it very rewarding to fly fighters anyway, since there is only the opportunity to earn 1CM per sortie regardless of what you do while bombers only need to fly 35 minutes to achieve 2CM. I was flying the Pe-2 and found the 4x250kg bombs to be nearly half as effective as the 2x500kg set - I'm not sure if this is default physics of the game or server-specific object settings. Anyway, it's pretty annoying that AAA (I think it was an armoured vehicle/mobile AAA?) couldn't be killed with a 250kg only about 10-15m away.  Now I am sure this fairly poor damage model lies mainly with the developers but if there is a way to reduce the 'hitpoints' of the objects, I think it is a good idea. It's a fairly unsurvivable scenario even in a tank, due to splash damage. For a lightly-armoured AAA, there is also shrapnel.  

A point for those advocating realism: the German government estimates that around 15% of bombs failed to detonate during the war. This is obviously an example of additional realism that would not be conducive to good gameplay. 

Lastly, an overlooked part of the server population issue may be due in fact to the scenarios involved. I don't know if a new campaign is currently being developed, but I think most people on other servers probably want to fly planes from later in the war, at least from Battle of Kuban, in addition to general grievances about playing TAW actually feeling like a grind for many. I can't fault the enemy fighters for having skill but that's not why I personally play on TAW. I think with some polls, we could find the overall 'economy' of TAW is what puts people off the most. Besides, if I have to grind CM to play fighters, then I will simply do it via the airfield resupply - since I don't have to worry about being intercepted - and overall the repetition and lack of 'contribution' to the outcome of the mission becomes pretty stale pretty quickly. I don't have issues about the number of lives but it is annoying to be shot down, survive and crash land and lose 2 previously achieved CM, basically undoing all progress - and then you're one more plane down, maybe your last combat plane leaving only the resupply aircraft. 

I would play more, but the peak server population times make it an impossibility. That's just what happens when we can't get enough new players, and I think one improvement that can be made is to have a registration date advertised in advance so players can pick a side, rather than joining halfway through the campaign to realise that the population is so unbalanced at times that the players cannot even spawn, and are kicked from the server even after they've taken off, because there are not enough players on the opposition. Obviously if registration for one team is so lopsided, then one solution is to stop accepting registrations for that team for the sake of everyone - and suggest they play the team with fewer players. This can be implemented in conjunction with preferred timezone so that everyone has a fair chance to register for the side they want. Basically, we need a survey.

If I've gathered one thing from the the last dozen pages of this thread, the server is at risk of becoming an echo chamber without any new players... and I get the impression that some take it all a little too seriously.

2 hours ago, Lippisch said:

the server is at risk of becoming an echo chamber without any new players...

Now on the server everything works very well and correctly. No need to change anything

5 hours ago, 72AG_Obi said:

Yes, you probably got banned for killing one of our mates, right above our AF after he just took off. And he got a penalty ban for 20hrs because of you as it was his last life.

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=42828&name=Julz

And it was very nice of you to leave without even short or brief explanation or excuse.

We wrote an official complain about you to the admin.

I am really sorry for this. Just as I said, I panicked. My apologies to your mate. Getting back to support sorties, till Im better at distinguishing friend and foe. 

Edit: found my victim and wrote the apology directly. 

Edited by Julz
Addition

On 11/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, JG51_Ogg said:

DG_Rhyn0,

I'd like to say I'm sorry for the mishap of being shot while in your chute by one of my squad members.  
He is sometimes an over zealous little twit, but we are trying to work him up to being honorable.
You see he is a young 13 year old who doesn't understand that a fight such as the one you put up against 2 110E2s was admirable.
I would rather have seen him do a fly by and give you a wing tip salute than shoot you.

I don't want to remove him from the squad but as I explained to him We as a squad don't want a reputation of being cheesy kill stealing chute killers.
He has been placed on probation with the squad and hopefully that alone will make him realize how serious we take this action.

If he wishes to provide an apology I would certainly appreciate it.

>S<

JG51_Ogg

JG51Molders Geschwader Kommodore

Very slow learner it seems. He even failed at killing me when he shot me.

https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=47742&name=[GCA]Kravixon

07.12.2019 15:25:26 PILOT WAS DAMAGED 61.02% Bf 109 G-2 Plane

II./JG51Castell

Edited by [GCA]Kravixon
  • Haha 1