=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

English is the global language of aviation.  Sorry we flew first, we pick our language.

I have just started TAW but the manual is a bit spartan and this thread is way too long for anyone to get useful info from so I will ask here.    Am I right in thinking that if I destroy a ground target but crash land I will not be credited with the kills?  Am I also right in thinking that landing on my field safely but bending a prop counts as crash landing?

Another question not answered in the manual:-   What are the shaded areas on the map representing?   I am guessing it means I may find random enemy units in that area that I can attack. Is that the case?

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

I have just started TAW but the manual is a bit spartan and this thread is way too long for anyone to get useful info from so I will ask here.    Am I right in thinking that if I destroy a ground target but crash land I will not be credited with the kills?  Am I also right in thinking that landing on my field safely but bending a prop counts as crash landing?

Another question not answered in the manual:-   What are the shaded areas on the map representing?   I am guessing it means I may find random enemy units in that area that I can attack. Is that the case?

#1: Your kills will count as long as you stay alive and aren't captured. Losing your own plane has no impact on whether your kills count or not. Only your pilot's life.

#2: That depends on the number of engines on the plane. If the plane otherwise is mostly intact and has no remaining working engine, then it counts as a crash-landing/ditch and it'll take 4 rounds before you get that specific plane back. That means that you can break one engine on a twin-engine and land it and it will not count as crashed, but as a fully good landing.

#3 The shaded areas are areas where supply convoys are. Once a team finds the enemy's supply convoy somewhere in that area the shaded area will disappear and a supply convoy marker will appear instead.

Also, seeing as you have just started, be aware that we are between campaigns right now. The next campaign will start sometime in November.

Ultra Low Priority Request...

When tanks take an airfield, and they are one move away from the cap... could we have them arrayed like this, someday?

german-occupation-eastern-front-ww2-nort

• Upvote 3

When tanks take an airfield, and they are one move away from the cap... could we have them arrayed like this, someday?

I  would much prefer them to all be on the road in one long convoy so I can get more with each attack :-)

I  would much prefer them to all be on the road in one long convoy so I can get more with each attack :-)

You'll just have to get to them sooner :P

Hitting tanks on some of the servers with moving tanks is really a good time, anyway.... I know that's probably not doable on TAW, but a little variance, or maybe even a staging area for tanks would be cool.

• Upvote 2

All I see here are trees lining the road...

• Upvote 2

Oh my god... I miss this big advance... a lot of good memory fro me.

• Upvote 1

Is there already any Idea when the War will start again?

As already told it will be November, is there already a chance to narrow the date a bit?

Beginning, Middle, or end of November?

Can't wait anymore :wacko:

Just registered on the website but I have a question, will I be able to participate in the campaign if I only own battle of stalingrad?

Edited by JadeBandit

Just registered on the website but I have a question, will I be able to participate in the campaign if I only own battle of stalingrad?

You'll just be limited as to what aircraft you can fly. 

Edit: Sorry didn't realise Disarray had already answered.

Edited by Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

I think LW has BoS planes from the start, but not VVS, so you might want to go blue.

In first maps BOS planes are ju87 and he111. You can see it in planeset. Also there is no point to register now because we clear all accounts before campaign runs and you have to register once again.

• Upvote 1

So, the big question is.... when does the next campaign start?

(I need to know so that I can figure out how I'm going to placate the venomous harridan succubus posing as my wife ;))

• Upvote 1

If the coming campaign works as the previous theres a distinct "mmyeeess.."

If flying for Russia you are then distinctively shit out of luck for map #1 #2 as they are completely locked to BOM planes, bar a Pe-2 series 87 transport on map #2.

For Germany you can always fly the Stuka and the 111 in the first few maps.

Both sides have several BOS planes during the latter maps though, so lacking BOK isn't a major issue.

• Upvote 1

So, the big question is.... when does the next campaign start?

(I need to know so that I can figure out how I'm going to placate the venomous harridan succubus posing as my wife ;))

I'm sure you have just described my Wife, as well

Let me know how you manage to placate your Wife, as I'm willing to try anything!

Anyway, when is the start date??

Darbzy I've got an idea for your second book. It's a self help book of sorts:

"War on Two Fronts: Lessons in Maintaining Combat Effectiveness When You've Married a Succubus"

• Upvote 2

You will, but it's tough in the first maps as you may only be able to fly as a Transport pilot with HE-111 (no bombs) or a Stuka (need fighter cover)... that's just the nature of the timeline.

However, if you enjoy this game, I HIGHLY recommend that you pick up Battle of Moscow as it's on sale right now until the end of this month: https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-moscow/

I can't say enough good things about BoM... the majority of the gripes about it are people dissatisfied with the single player component, and I can't speak to that, but from a multiplayer standpoint, you get SO many amazing planes that are a blast to fly.

Normally I would encourage people to get the premium edition, and if you've got the scratch and the desire, grab it for sure, but if you just buy the base game, you're getting a fantastic deal for $25.

The I-16 and the 109E make appearances in all the early maps, and the MiG-3 is competitive well beyond those.  The Ju-88 and the IL-2 1941 are stellar planes that are useful anytime they show up on a map (the JU-88 is pretty much a fixture now) The 110E-2 is another aircraft you'll see almost every map out there.

You also get the 109F-2 which is a nasty surprise even on Berloga against later war planes, since it turns on a dime.  

Sure the P40 and the Macchi are fun, but you can always pick them up later if you want, and neither of them are make-or-break competitive planes. 

So, TL;DR, buy BoM while it's on sale!

So, TL;DR, buy BoM while it's on sale!

If you are a VVS pilot then the I-16 is great fun even if it is only viable in early maps though the official BoM campaign uses it as well for the first few missions. It is like the Fokker Triplane of the WW2 Russian front;  quite slow but very maneuverable and climbs like a rocket. I would get BoM anyway just to get your hands on a Mig-3 :-)   It has a bad rep for being designed for high altitude combat, having some bad habits and getting cancelled by the VVS but a large part of the cancellation was down to politics and even at medium & low levels it is great fighter once you understand its strengths and weaknesses.  You can still get many kills even in the later war servers.   

• Upvote 1

Darbzy I've got an idea for your second book. It's a self help book of sorts:

"War on Two Fronts: Lessons in Maintaining Combat Effectiveness When You've Married a Succubus"

I’ll submit my preorder for this right now! Kids also make staying combat effective difficult. The other day I was on RE, just shot down a LAGG and was feeling good about things. My 2 year old walks in the room, presses the eject button on my throttle, proceeds to just walk back out obliviously. Maybe I’ll send the fam on a long vacation before the new TAW starts?

Please provide p40 as a default plane - this will help NA interest in flying red - which should be imo, the primary goal this campaign is to get a more balanced numbers in the NA timezone.

I've been going through withdrawal already, looking forward to the campaign restarting!!!  Great work guys

• Upvote 1

Can we have better plane distribution for Luftwaffel? Having the F-4's being 2/2 +1 last two mission is just too dull. Pushing the G-series and F-2 down the players throat is more "realistic". Or balance it with Yak-1b and Yak-1 spam, along with some LA-5's in generous numbers. After all, VVS had the spam capability from 1942 on covered.

Also, leave the MiG-3 and P-40 on the rooster and generally try to make Luftwaffels use something other than F-4 all day erry day from the first moment they get it, please. There is like, 4 other 109's besides F-4 out there, and 5th is on its way.

And VVS having LaGG's as a principle +1 plane in the 3 last maps? No bueno, hombre! 

Edited by Cpt_Siddy
  • Upvote 1

Please provide p40 as a default plane - this will help NA interest in flying red - which should be imo, the primary goal this campaign is to get a more balanced numbers in the NA timezone.

I've been going through withdrawal already, looking forward to the campaign restarting!!!  Great work guys

Agreed.

Having a 1/1 +1 P40 (and even Macchi, why not?) over and above the other planes would encourage the purchase of those premiums, and neither plane is incredibly unbalancing (though you might want to leave the pods locked for the Macchi the first map)

And VVS having LaGG's as a principle +1 plane in the 3 last maps? No bueno, hombre! 

Agreed here.

I am not sure if anyone would be able to help me here as it is impossible for us to connect to European server as the ping is always more than 400 anyway, I would really like to be able to play even that means we need to pay for vpn, it is also fine, just a quick question, which VPN would enable Australian players to have better ping on TAW so we would not get kicked?

I am not sure if anyone would be able to help me here as it is impossible for us to connect to European server as the ping is always more than 400 anyway, I would really like to be able to play even that means we need to pay for vpn, it is also fine, just a quick question, which VPN would enable Australian players to have better ping on TAW so we would not get kicked?

I don't think a VPN is going to help you unfortunately

VPN's usually add a layer of latency, to maintain the secure tunnel. If anything your ping would be worse rather than better

• Upvote 2

VPN's usually add a layer of latency, to maintain the secure tunnel. If anything your ping would be worse rather than better

Exactly, and even if the VPN somehow tricked the server into thinking you had a lower ping (which it won't, but let's pretend) then you're still 400ms away, or more now going through the VPN, so you'll be lagging around like a maniac.

You can't do much for geographic distance in as far as ping goes, but a couple of things:

- If you're on wireless, you're wrong.

- Close out all other programs, especially systray trash that is auto-updating

-  If the rest of your family is hammerbanging your internet, you're probably going to have a bad time

Wrong on wireless is not the case of LTE technology where I have less latency compared to my DSL line , back in the days I could save 10 ms going through proxy's ,it worked because some points were routed efficient to each other but still that was to other eu countries not between continents.

thanks fellows, it surely helps with my futile trying with vpns, I will not do it again. But on the other hand, is there a such thing as game accelerator?  for example I would be able to connect to the server which has better speed node to node? (Australia to Euro)