PatrickAWlson

PWCG Bug Reports

The mission was a train attack well inside Russian territory. When I attacked what I assume was the target train I was penalized for attacking a friendly. I didn't see any other trains in the area and it was so deep in enemy territory I cant imagine it was supposed to be a friendly train. Mission file attached.

it it helps I got that object unidentifid  message during the mission. 

Rahl 1942-10-29.zip

Edited by TheSNAFU

V5: lots of squad mates crash in to ground or are shot down but never purged from the roster because they never die, even when obvious pk'd or fail to bail or just lawn dart in.

older versions had a variable for "death by stupidity". was dying squadmates removed in V5?

all squadmates are rapidly achieving ranks/skills/kills because they cant die

They can die.  They can die in missions (logs tell me whether they live or die) and they can die out of mission through simulation.  Sometimes a crash that looks fatal is not per the logs.  

56 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

They can die.  They can die in missions (logs tell me whether they live or die) and they can die out of mission through simulation.  Sometimes a crash that looks fatal is not per the logs.  

theyre not dying though and the parameter to change the odds of death in stupidity is gone

what do i send to show this?

following up on this because ai mates still aren't dying ever under any circumstance.

is there a log or something i can send?

Zip up your campaign and post it.  Progress has been slow lately because I cannot solve the undefined object bug and I am working longer hours at my real job, so no promises on when a resolution will be in place.  

If you come across a mission where you believe your squadron mate should have died but PWCG says otherwise, use the "Error Report" button (Campaign page - bottom left) to create an error report package.  That will package the mission logs along with the campaign.  From there I will be able to tell you if the logs say he is alive or if PWCG is keeping him alive when it should not be.

On 9/28/2018 at 4:33 PM, Murleen said:

On a LOW_ALT_CAP mission, two opposing flights are created, which spawn directly on top of each other and then crash. On the other hand

Looks like our version works every bit as well as the real one.

In my last mission, two different AI pilots were assigned the same plane. From the missionData file:

"3000951": {
      "aircraftType": "bf109f4",
      "squadronId": 20111051,
      "pilotSerialNumber": 3000951,
      "planeSerialNumber": 5001185,
      "pilotName": "Thomas Habich"
    },
    "3001089": {
      "aircraftType": "bf109f4",
      "squadronId": 20111051,
      "pilotSerialNumber": 3001089,
      "planeSerialNumber": 5001185,
      "pilotName": "Kristian Finger"
    },

Iliya_Tolstoy201809302109509.zip

5.0.1 released with several bug fixes.  If you do not see your favorite in the list then feel free to remind me.  

On 9/26/2018 at 1:00 PM, bush_wizard said:

following up on this because ai mates still aren't dying ever under any circumstance.

is there a log or something i can send?

I put in a fix for the error log packaging.  If you ever fly a mission where you feel a pilot was not properly killed off please package it up and I will take a look.  The AAR is by far the most complex part of PWCG because  it updates the whole world.   I will say that in two test missions tonight we did lose a pilot based on mission results.

Pat have to ask.

Noticed some Spawn WP timers are not linked to any waypoints.   Will the planes involved still start onto their respective flights?

pwcg waypoint.jpg

@WW_SittingDuck

Thanks for taking a look.  I will look at it (likely tomorrow) to make sure it's OK.  That would cause circling planes.

That is a hold over from a recent change.  It used to be that attack areas would only be activated by arrival at the target waypoints.  What this meant was that if you did not follow the WPs exactly you would never get the attack.  I changed that to isolate the attack and make it trigger based on coalition proximity. That timer is a holdover from the previous method.  it could be eliminated but it causes no harm.

One interesting thing is that the coalition activation means that your target can be activated before you get there.  I flew a mission where the attack area activated while I was still over 20km away.  When my 110s got there a bunch of Stukas were dive bombing another nearby target while two flights of Il2s and a flight of PE2s passed by.  My trucks were still there.  I dropped bombs on them and gained altitude hoping to cross paths with one of the Russian flights.  I came across the Il2s and attacked them, along with some Me109s.  Got two and was out of ammo.  Went home and passed the PE2s.  

This time it made for a great mission.  If people don't like it I can look into triggering the attack only on the player's flight.

Edited by PatrickAWlson

56 minutes ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

Thanks Pat, I believe I understand what you are saying.

But the example I gave was for an enemy AI flight....not my flight..

AI flights and player flights work the same in that regard. 

The AI flights are set up as a long chain of virtual waypoints, but underneath those are actual waypoints.  Once the flight spawns it triggers the proper waypoint for its location and flies the route as an actual flight.  Further virtual waypoints are disabled.  If the flight is an attack flight and it spawns close to the attack area then the attack area will trigger based on proximity.  That in turn will trigger the exit endpoint when the attack times out.

Flying on the Kuban map I encountered for the first time flying smoke. It was approximately 1000 altitude. Using newest version. 

1 hour ago, TheSNAFU said:

Flying on the Kuban map I encountered for the first time flying smoke. It was approximately 1000 altitude. Using newest version. 

Please zip up the .mission and .eng file and post it.

1 hour ago, TheSNAFU said:

Pat, I think it was one of the 2 missions attached where I saw the flying smoke. Hope these help. Thanks

flying smoke.zip

I think that I see the problem.  Coordinates are three dimensional: x, y, and z with the y axis indicating altitude.  The buildings on the map actually have an altitude, which they probably should not.  I know that the game ignores altitude for many ground objects, buildings included.  

I use the building coordinates for smoke without modification, which means that I keep the altitude portion.  I suspect that the game is properly setting the buildings on the ground but is not putting the smoke effect on the ground (which IMHO makes sense).  I can probably fix this by forcing altitude to zero, which is what I generally do for all ground objects.

Here is one example that will put smoke at 710 meters:

MCU_CMD_Effect
{
  Index = 167850;
  Name = "startSmokeEffectCommand";
  Desc = "";
  Targets = [];
  Objects = [167853];
  XPos = 270146.00;
  YPos = 710.00;
  ZPos = 298394.00;
  XOri = 0.00;
  YOri = 0.00;
  ZOri = 0.00;
  ActionType = 0;
}

These coordinates correspond exactly with a bridge.  The game is smart enough to put the bridge on the ground but it puts the smoke at 710 meters.

The fact that a bridge is burning is another issue: I should exclude them from objects that can burn.

Edited by PatrickAWlson

1 hour ago, Napping-Man said:

Thanks for the great work, Pat! 

But uh...bridges can't burn?  So why do we have that saying?  😄

Had a response but it was TMI ... anyhow, their bridges don't look all that flammable.

Thanks for looking into this Pat! Sounds like your on the trail. 

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Had a response but it was TMI ... anyhow, their bridges don't look all that flammable.

Anything is flammable if you try hard enough. 

(I'm kidding you, I knew what you meant)

Thanks again for the dedication, I'll stop being a smart-ass.

4 hours ago, Napping-Man said:

Anything is flammable if you try hard enough. 

and your mother was not the least bit concerned when you were growing up ☠️

• Like 1

In the attached mission in Stalingrad (ground attack), the ground forces of both sides were placed on the wrong side of the front, according to the debrief (see screenshot).

This with 5.02, I don't remember having seen/noticed this with previous versions.

2018_10_12__13_30_17.jpg

ground_forces_wrong_side.zip

That happens on purpose.  The idea is that one side is attacking the other, so the combat is taking place on the defender's side of the lines.

• Thanks 1

Started a Spit Kuban Campaign April 1 1943.

First mission - started off the runway, with a couple obstacles in front of us just on the runway.

Couple files attached, they were all I could find -- not sure if will help. I could not locate a mission log file.

dburne Spit 1943-04-01.MissionData.zip

50 minutes ago, dburne said:

Started a Spit Kuban Campaign April 1 1943.

First mission - started off the runway, with a couple obstacles in front of us just on the runway.

Couple files attached, they were all I could find -- not sure if will help. I could not locate a mission log file.

dburne Spit 1943-04-01.MissionData.zip

I'll take a look

10 hours ago, Murleen said:

I'll take a look

@Murleen

With the varying takeoff positions redoing the hot spots would be a bear.  I was thinking - keep all of the configured placement hot spots in the files, but write an algorithm to eliminate the ones in front of the airplanes takeoff path.  This way all of the placement options are still there but nothing gets placed in front of the flight path.  By the time we drop objects on the airfield we know the aircraft placement and orientation, so that should be possible.

@dburne

Is this a consistent issue or intermittent?

Edited by PatrickAWlson

8 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@dburne

Is this a consistent issue or intermittent?

I can't really say yet.

I have had a bit of a break and this was my first mission in 5.0.2 on a new Spit Kuban Campaign.

So far it is the only mission I have flown (busy weekend)  - I will be continuing it during the course of the upcoming week and will report if it happens again.

4 hours ago, dburne said:

I can't really say yet.

I have had a bit of a break and this was my first mission in 5.0.2 on a new Spit Kuban Campaign.

So far it is the only mission I have flown (busy weekend)  - I will be continuing it during the course of the upcoming week and will report if it happens again.

I'll need the .mission file to analyse this - can you upload that, should be in data/missions/

13 minutes ago, Murleen said:

I'll need the .mission file to analyse this - can you upload that, should be in data/missions/

The only data file I could find was the one I included in the zip file.

35 minutes ago, dburne said:

The only data file I could find was the one I included in the zip file.

The file would be "data/missions/dburne spit 1943-04-01.mission" inside the IL-2 install.

13 minutes ago, Murleen said:

The file would be "data/missions/dburne spit 1943-04-01.mission" inside the IL-2 install.

Yeah not sure what is going on, it is not in there.

The only ones in there are from June 43 in a previous campaign I was flying several weeks ago. June 7, 8, and 9  1943 to be exact. I flew them on Aug 29 2018.

I did complete the new campaign mission for April 1 1943 and claimed 4 victories. Bet there is no mission file in there for it.

Edit - now that is odd, why would I have mission files from a previous campaign several weeks ago? 

I deleted all of the prior version of PWCG and all it's campaign data and started fresh with 5.0.2.

Or maybe it just read them from the game I guess?

Edited by dburne

19 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah not sure what is going on, it is not in there.

The only ones in there are from June 43 in a previous campaign I was flying several weeks ago. June 7, 8, and 9  1943 to be exact. I flew them on Aug 29 2018.

I did complete the new campaign mission for April 1 1943 and claimed 4 victories. Bet there is no mission file in there for it.

Edit - now that is odd, why would I have mission files from a previous campaign several weeks ago? 

I deleted all of the prior version of PWCG and all it's campaign data and started fresh with 5.0.2.

Or maybe it just read them from the game I guess?

PWCG will leave the last three mission files after you submit a report. If you've created a new campaign with the same name as the old one, then it will be keeping the ones from your old campaign, as they're from a later game date than the new campaign. You might want to delete the june missions from your mission directory,

1 minute ago, Murleen said:

PWCG will leave the last three mission files after you submit a report. If you've created a new campaign with the same name as the old one, then it will be keeping the ones from your old campaign, as they're from a later game date than the new campaign. You might want to delete the june missions from your mission directory,

Ok, was about to fly the next mission in this new Campaign, I will go ahead and delete those three and see what happens now.

Will advise.

34 minutes ago, Murleen said:

Ok that must have been it, I deleted those three older mission files and flew my next PWCG mission, and the mission file is there as it should be.

All went well with this mission.

37 minutes ago, dburne said:

Ok that must have been it, I deleted those three older mission files and flew my next PWCG mission, and the mission file is there as it should be.

All went well with this mission.

Thanks, let me know if you see any issues again. I tried generating a mission from the same airfield with the same wind direction, and the planes appear to be placed correctly without any obstacles, so it's not clear what might be going wrong.

47 minutes ago, Murleen said:

Thanks, let me know if you see any issues again. I tried generating a mission from the same airfield with the same wind direction, and the planes appear to be placed correctly without any obstacles, so it's not clear what might be going wrong.

Will do, have flown couple more missions and have not seen it again.