BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 78

Well, it's not the type of campaign I'd favor but a) I'm a particularly nutty person when it comes to historical details and b) I understand the ressource/manpower/cost issues involved. Hopefully we may see some user-made campaigns once the editor is out and people start getting used to it.

Edited by csThor
  • Upvote 2

nooooo I missed it :( what are the most important features?

Me too! So no patch/updates today, only stream?

It looks more like a QMB with rewards, rather than a unit level campaign. We'll have to see how it plays out I guess. Gotta start somewhere though.

It looks more like a QMB with rewards, rather than a unit level campaign. We'll have to see how it plays out I guess. Gotta start somewhere though.

That is correct, and although we don't have the squadron selection so to simulate their mission types I kind of like the mission generation idea, where history is simply a background and not the driving factor, so we don't mimic their missions exactly.

As I wasn't expecting nothing, as they said it would be different from RoF, I was pleased with the presentation.

Only let down was the Full & Short modes, with no mandatory takeoff and landing on one of them. But comes into play with what Loft said some time ago. It caters for the guys that still learning the ropes... but...before you fly you must takeoff right !? 

In the cutscene I did notice Pz 2s, barrage balloons, and ships being attacked on the river. I'm aware this cutscene is supposed to be a 'historical' prelude but I hope its a portent of things to come. 

• Upvote 1

In the cutscene I did notice Pz 2s, barrage balloons, and ships being attacked on the river. I'm aware this cutscene is supposed to be a 'historical' prelude but I hope its a portent of things to come.

Well, both things, river barges and tethered balloons were done quite well in RoF. No reason, why we shouldn't see them once the thaw sets in ;)

Edited by Finkeren

Did anyone record it?

The devs usually records it themselves (free of any lag or disturbances, and put it on Youtube.

Edited by Finkeren

Only let down was the Full & Short modes, with no mandatory takeoff and landing on one of them. But comes into play with what Loft said some time ago. It caters for the guys that still learning the ropes... but...before you fly you must takeoff right !? 

the long version is for take offs and landings, short version is for your in the air heading to the way points. you can either land or wait for mission accomplishments. not every one has the time to fly a whole mission.

they just want to get in and do the mission straight off the bat, and then get off computer. Do some honey do's, and spend time with the family, this is the whole point of what Loft has stated. Then when you do have time for full realism you can do it.

They mentioned in the stream, that we get a dev blog later today.

Neat, can't wait. Hope we're getting convergence and custom convergence for all guns, e.g. no convergence for nose guns and 250m for wing guns.

the long version is for take offs and landings, short version is for your in the air heading to the way points. you can either land or wait for mission accomplishments. not every one has the time to fly a whole mission.

they just want to get in and do the mission straight off the bat, and then get off computer. Do some honey do's, and spend time with the family, this is the whole point of what Loft has stated. Then when you do have time for full realism you can do it.

True that Mastiff and thanks for showing it out. Usually I go for sim when I have the time and never when spending time with others, so the distinction doesn't exist for me, therefore my brain filtered other possibilities off the bat.

Long version had regress and landing as optional though, last mandatory waypoint shown was the Mission exit point.

Anyway, from the times shown in the video it would be some 10 minutes flying plus similar time on mission zone, so I can guess 30 minutes should be enough for the Fullest version :) 

Anyway, from the times shown in the video it would be some 10 minutes flying plus similar time on mission zone, so I can guess 30 minutes should be enough for the Fullest version :)

If the mission generator is anything like RoF (and it looks like it may be underneath) then the variation of missions and mission lengths could be quite large. Keep in mind that flight paths may take you through active war zones where enemy planes may try to hunt you down. It won't just be a matter of "fly to objective, kill it, fly home." :)

If the mission generator is anything like RoF (and it looks like it may be underneath) then the variation of missions and mission lengths could be quite large. Keep in mind that flight paths may take you through active war zones where enemy planes may try to hunt you down. It won't just be a matter of "fly to objective, kill it, fly home." :)

Yes, just commenting on what I saw. I am sure we will have enough fabric for a full suit. And damn us to a cockpit heat when the full editor is made public ! 

Waiting for the youtube video of the stream :)

Me too...together with all the others at the bottom of the page by the looks of it!

At least we have time to buy the popcorn...

Long version had regress and landing as optional though, last mandatory waypoint shown was the Mission exit point.

Correct, landings are optional on Long missions, but you receive more points by landing at your home airfield. 

no update today?

I'm gonna post a brief Dev blog and the stream video within an hour - two max. Thanks for patience, gents.

• Upvote 7

XP points? More XP points for landing? I assume XP points for shooting planes? Do we get "Critical Hit!!!" flashing across the screen too?

Not what I was hoping for. Ill wait to comment more until I have seen the stream.

XP points? More XP points for landing? I assume XP points for shooting planes? Do we get "Critical Hit!!!" flashing across the screen too?

Not what I was hoping for. Ill wait to comment more until I have seen the stream.

Whats the point of unlocks if you can't... unlock them?  Although, I agree that XP might be a little tacky, maybe they could use something like X number of plane/ground kills to unlock things.

Its a big, big disappointment for me. (the new campaign), but i understain that they dont have enough resorce to do better single player campaign. But i know that even if they hade more resorces in the future, they wouldnt make it :(