BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 78

thanks for the update. could we please have an eta on when the convergence will be activated?

thanks for the update. could we please have an eta on when the convergence will be activated?

We're testing this option now.

Impressive list.

Very excited to hear about the Fw 190 taxi fixes.

- Normal Flight with broken part of wing now is very hard or impossible

0ONmPC3.png

Mq5MtGR.png

XCaEbEh.png

Flew and landed pretty ok considering the circumstances.

Either way thanks for the update.

IL-2 has a huge wing area..I'm sure that has an effect.

Awesome sounds like some solid updates!

Edited by driftaholic

IL-2 has a huge wing area..I'm sure that has an effect.

I'd imagine, to be fair I had to use full rudder and aileron input to keep her level. Any more of that wing lost and I would've ended up spinning out of control and into the cumulus granitis pretty fast.

New hud looks intrusive and shows less info. It shouldn't be in the middle. Previous was better.

Edited by LY_LCT_unknwn
  • Upvote 4

New hud looks intrusive and shows less info. It shouldn't be in the middle. Previous was better.

It seems like they will add more info next week accoding to the notes.

I'm also not sure if having the HUD in the middle is optimal.

• Upvote 1

I'll agree I find the old one better too, was a bit more simplistic and for lack of a better word a bit less cartoony and out of place. But we'll see how the full one will look next week.

• Upvote 1

He-111 not available :(

As for the HUD.  First off, went yuk, but it's grown on me,  I expect the 3 different bits will be moveable next week.  I even don't mind them were they are now but I have turned the transparency down to about 25%.  The only problem with that is the mini map also loses any real value because I can't use it to navigate.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

- Normal Flight with broken part of wing now is very hard or impossible

0ONmPC3.png

Mq5MtGR.png

XCaEbEh.png

Flew and landed pretty ok considering the circumstances.

Either way thanks for the update.

Oh I see you lucky that aeliron have been jammed in upper position :-)

I can shoot down a He 111, but I can't fly it myself. All other planes are working.

I really hope we aren't going down the road where it is impossible to maintain flight with up to half of the wing missing. Difficult, yes - impossible, it shouldn't be. There are plenty of examples - photographic examples - of planes remaining airborne with up to 4 feet of a wing missing on one side.

post-9266-0-65323300-1410567605_thumb.jpg

post-9266-0-22831800-1410567612_thumb.jpg

post-9266-0-03581300-1410567620_thumb.jpg

post-9266-0-36950600-1410567720_thumb.jpg (not in the air, but it made it back to base to land just fine with just one engine)

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 1

Like the compass, although it is possible to fly by the gauge.

Any news on navigation tools using the map?

That Avenger? would of been a handful not being the fastest of beasts in the air !    view of the aileron on the starboard wing gives an idea of  the crossed up controls  . also agree with your comment regarding  not being flyable . another nice update ) 

BlackSix- thanks for the changelog! We appreciate it! Also for the news on convergence.

S~

We're testing this option now.

and vertical convergence fix for the Fw 190? My inner three year old wants to rant but I'm holding him in check for now :o:

Thanks for the other updates. I know you guys are extremely busy.

Edited by HerrMurf

The AI seems to do fairly well with broken wings. I accidentally hit his Heinkel with my Lala and he just kept on flying his holding circuits. :biggrin:

thM2My9.png

3G3raeH.png

eRihpJx.png

2hRtCmm.png

• Upvote 1

Sorry pal, but I have no intentions to humor your diatribe. Not debating your "break sets" but go ahead and show me a simulator outside of 777 that introduces "tear here" 2D perforation decals as consistently as this title.

CloD does damage rendering and "break sets" in a significantly more convincing manner. As does DCS.

Well I got and fly both your examples, unlike you I do not make that a problem, but I have to disagree because what you say is simply not true

Edited by LuseKofte

I might be overlooking something, but I don't seem able to select "Manual" propeller-pitch control via the mapped (or default) buttons when operating the Fw190.

If this function is in place, what is the correct way to select manual control? The function is mentioned in the list of updates as an aid to taxying the Fw190.

I might be overlooking something, but I don't seem able to select "Manual" propeller-pitch control via the mapped (or default) buttons when operating the Fw190.

If this function is in place, what is the correct way to select manual control? The function is mentioned in the list of updates as an aid to taxying the Fw190.

Rigby,

There are two controls for the Fw-190 and Me-109 prop pitch function.

Firts, you must bind a key to switch from automatic pitch control to manual. Then, you must bind a key (or axis) to actually adjust the pitch.

Hope this helps-

Well I got and fly both your examples, unlike you I do not make that a problem, but I have to disagree because what you say is simply not true

Yeah, that really did a lot to invalidate my opinion of something.

I'm waiting for a point-to-point on how BoS' physical damage model is better or equally representative to others on the market. Nobody has managed to provide me with one yet.

I'm waiting for a point-to-point on how BoS' physical damage model is better or equally representative to others on the market.

Wing bending.

I was wondering,

In il2 1946 when the Russian planes over sped their wings broke off (which was rather satisfying to watch if you had lured an unsuspecting red to get over excited and so loose track of their speed), but in this version the Russian planes seem to have a dive speed comparable to German fighters, and no dramatic wings coming off (unless you start pulling g's whilst over speeding). 

Was il2 1946 modeled incorrectly, or is there a bit more tweaking that needs to be done in il2 bos????

I know that historically the German planes had a higher dive speed, so should the Russian planes start coming apart alot sooner (and more dramatically)?

Edited by 907-novicebutdeadly

Hi Chris455,

Thanks for the help on the prop-pitch issue, it's much appreciated!

I am able to map the "pitch-change" function to a rotary switch (the "trim 3" rotary on the G940 joystick - confirmed by the game's input-response indicators), but am not able to successfully map a keystroke or controls-switch/button to the "toggle" action between manual and auto prop-pitch control. The RPM-gauge and pitch-indicator "clock" both confirm that the pitch remains in auto-mode in spite of all my efforts (109G-2 and Fw190).

Its not that important, really, as the taxying is much improved with the latest update - I just wanted to see what effect prop-pitch had on directional control.

"Rigby"

Yeah, that really did a lot to invalidate my opinion of something.

I'm waiting for a point-to-point on how BoS' physical damage model is better or equally representative to others on the market. Nobody has managed to provide me with one yet.

Ha Ha I am just kidding with you, you got the same answer you gave another one. Just a reaction when you brought in two other simulators. I do not agree DCS got better damage models, nor effects yes pretty much anything else than pit, FM and model.

Clod is more realistic in current state in pretty much everything except physics , witch I find unbeaten in this game. 3D is also very good and the light, beautiful it is

Sorry pal, but I have no intentions to humor your diatribe. Not debating your "break sets" but go ahead and show me a simulator outside of 777 that introduces "tear here" 2D perforation decals as consistently as this title.

CloD does damage rendering and "break sets" in a significantly more convincing manner. As does DCS.

Of course you aren't. Unfortunately, DCS and CloD both have predefined breaking points. You want to see?

This wasn't just random non-set break point, pal. It was pre-defined, pal. They will always break at that same point if the damage to those areas is enough. It will happen the same in your wonderful CloD. So, yes- there is a "tear here" in all air combat sims. They might have 4 while BoS only has 3 for the wings, but they are there and pre-defined, just waiting for the damage to accumulate for the "break" to happen.

In neither CloD nor DCS does a flying surface get damaged and barely hold on until the stress is enough to separate it. However, in BoS, it does. So, pal, you might want to actually investigate the vitriol you so willingly spew since it is completely false. And again, if they are so great - why are you here? Go play the obviously much better cookie cutter break point sims that share the same break points as BoS because the break points are much more "convincing." Pal.

post-9266-0-45797500-1410650300_thumb.jpg

I have have watched aircraft get damaged by flak and fly off to rtb, when suddenly a part of their plane falls away because it was previously damaged. Not just seconds after being damaged, minutes. Not lag induced, it was just damaged and physical stress from Gs or wind caused the part to fall away. Landing gear, horizontal or vertical stabilizers, flaps, wing tips falling off aircraft ten minutes after they were last damaged. It's happened to me, rtbing after a ground attack run and I glance behind to see something fall away when I'm turning into a landing. You won't find that in DCS or CloD. So "cookie cutter" this isn't.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 1