Thread to gather your suggestions

BlackSix

BeastyBaiter

Type of improvement:  Controls.

Explanation of proposals:  Slow down speed of trim and stabilizer trim when using keys. Also place a maximum rate at which either can be applied if using an axis (if applied too fast on axis, the trim will be delayed rather than being instant).

Benefits:  When using keys/buttons, it will make it much easier to precisely trim a plane. If using an axis, it removes the possility of doing high G turns at very high speeds by using the stabilizer or trim tabs as a second elevator. I've been seeing quite a few people actually assigning stabilizer trim to the same axis as their elevator to make the Bf-109 into an F-16 at high speeds. I even tried it myself, it's utterly broken and unrealistic. This was a major issue in the original IL2 as well, surely you all remember the "trim on a slider" exploit. The exact same exploit is alive and well here with the Bf-109's.

• Upvote 3
LukeFF

Type of improvement: GUI
Explanation of proposals: show a visual indication at the top of the screen showing which engine the player has selected 
Benefits: right now the only way to know which engine has been selected (in twin-engine planes) is to move the throttle/mixture/prop pitch lever back & forth to see which lever moves. A visual indication that flashes briefly on the screen showing which engine has been selected will make it easier to control twin-engine aircraft

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 1
Silverback

Controls: Analog trim axes for all aircraft that have adjustable inflight trim.

Benefit: Everyone that has more than $100 bucks in flight controls and of course realism. 

• Upvote 3
CZEforzamike
Type of improvement: Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: Hi guys from 1 C and 777,

why it is not possible to make pilot head moving to every ways when i am holding the right mouse button?

It's quite accurate and easy to use. For example, that this was done by fans in the patch of older versions IL 1946 and in CoD too.

In every way this Sturmovik BoS is the best game and thank you for fantastic job   

Benefits: More dynamic combat situations. It would be better for a lot of players who do not have TrackIR system.  
  • Upvote 1
Picchio

Type of improvement: graphics.

Explanation of proposals: adjust or remove sun glare/lens flare during sunrise and sunset; give the sun a properly defined colour and circular shape, which would then be distinguishable during early and late day hours because of its low luminous intensity.

Benefits: stare in awe at the sun rising and setting on the merciless Russian soil. Praise the Sun!

Edited by Picchio
  • Upvote 4

Type of improvement: graphics.

Explanation of proposals: I'm sure this has already been suggested but it would be nice to see snow below some of the clouds in the distance. Also snow and rain on the windshield. these effects would nicely compliment the ability to view your plane from the exterior (even in expert mode but only if you are stationary on the runway.)

Benefits: immersion.

• 2 weeks later...
CZEforzamike

Hello pilots  :)

Type of improvement: SOUND - SOUND EFFECTS

Explanation of proposals: I have a few suggestions for sound effects. When is my plane malfunctioned and rushing down I still like to look at him till the end. Graphics and visual effects look great.
But maybe I'm missing the roaring sound of the falling aircraft. When the engine is jammed, the pilot should hear a very strong wind sound effects - even from outside view, not from the cockpit only.
When the plane glides through the air - it should all go to hear how air flows around aircraft, noisy wind etc...

Benefits: More realism. Better and more realistic feeling of flying.

Thank you  ;)

Explanation:  Have a kneeboard (similar to DCS).

This could have checklists for take-off, landing, cruising, climbing, navigation and for user made checklists.

Benefit:  Should be of particular assistance to those new to flight simming and players new to BOS.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement : gameplay

Explanation of proposal : In the realism ânel, replace the 0, x1, x2 by a "multiplier coefficent" which is increased or decreased preogressivly as options are checked / unchecked as in CFS.

For instance, if "invulnerable", the player would have a multiplyer of say 0.01 to his XPs, Activating "padlock" would multiply XP by 0.75, so if both are checked, the multiplier would be 0.0075 !

Benefits : possibility to customize difficulty and XP for all types of players.

Edited by jeanba

Type of improvement: Control

Explanation of proposals: Being able to slap view all angles.  Right now if i want to snap view left i hold num4.  Fine but if i want to look left and up, num4 and up (whatever you choose for up view, ex:  num5), doesnt work.  Can we combine the keys.  Would love to be able to look back right num 3, and up.  Can only pan now.

Benefits: Full angle using snap views,  can setup num8 to only look slightly up, and then set num5 to look up.  With combination of all the other keys, you can get full view and follow planes easy without using padlock.- very realistic.

This is a great sim, i am kinda shocked you cannot combine keys for views.

Thanks!!

=]VLA[=Ravonmith

Type of improvement:

Control  

Explanation of proposals:

Communication "wheel". When pressing a button a small circle/ wheel will open in the HUD with 4 Parts. You could use a POV knob / Cooliehat to choose up, left, right, down. Each part of the Wheel will lead the pilot to a section with special commands like request landing, request start, ask for mission, change formation, check your six etc.

Benefits:

Faster and better communication while flying. Better then using f 1- f 12 , easy accessible inflight and for multiplayer. No need to reach for the keyboard while flying. Commands like check your six or doge, break for Multyplayer to increase immersion

Type of improvement : Gameplay/realism

Explanation of proposal : The gunner in the Pe-2 (and to some degree, in the other planes) will remain passive for the majority of the flight. He will usually just sit down and then wait for an enemy plane to get into his arc of fire. Then he will stand up, mount his gun and shoot at the enemy and as soon as the enemy plane is no longer in his arc of fire, he would sit down again, even if the enemy is still alive and will start another attack right away.

The gunner should remain active for a period of time (maybe 1-2 minutes) after he last had an enemy plane in his arc of fire, so that he can react more quickly when the enemy attacks again.

Benefits : More useful gunners, more realistic behaviour of the AI crew.

• Upvote 7
=]VLA[=Ravonmith

Type of improvement: Multiplayer

Explanation of proposals:  Enable the player to play a preset multiplayer mission to each phase of the battle of stalingrad campaign. If there are 5 stages in the campaign, create 5 Missions. Each covering the fights in this phase. Introduce the most important goals of this phase as missions in the multiplayer mission. Keep using your points system to determine who won.

Example: Germans have to attack a factory, destroy some AAA and help their troops to conquer an airfield , Russians need to destroy the bridge the germans need for their assault and defend, and maybe destroy some supportracks /transporter. If a team reached a goal the other team loosing points (like when killing enemy planes).

Maybe the mission starts with 6000 Points, destroying enemy plaines still costs the enemy the same amount of points but reaching one goal will cost 1000 or 500 points. There should be always 2/3 goals /targets for every team to complete at the same time and after one is done maybe a nother will popup.

Benefits: The immersion of a real war where objectives count more then just killing pilots / planes . Opposing Missions generate areas where people expect the enemy and likely will find one. Targets increase the will to fight and play again and again to win.  Feeling of success is much more rewarding and keep the player playing

• 2 weeks later...
J2_Trupobaw

Type of improvement: Interface / Controls
Explanation of proposals: A "reset force feedback" action that players can bind buttons to and use in-game.

The "pulsing bug" -  where force feedback joystick is pulsing along elevator axis rather than work properly, along with lesser bugs that make joystick apply constant centering force with no ffb, or turn ffb off altogether, have been present  in Digital Nature games for very long time. When players encounter the bug they perform various actions that may reset force feedback in game - change ffb settings like strength and vibration, alt-tab to desktop and back, go to controls menu and leave it, go to ffb settings in windows control panel and fiddle there. All these actions seem to force the game to re-initialise force feedback support part, hopefully without the bug. If we could have a bindable key that makes game reset force feedback support, we could press it in-flight to bring stick to normal instead if going through menus, settings changes, desktop, ritual chants etc. 

If this feature works as expected it should be implemented in RoF and IM as well. 

Benefits: Quick and friendly way for players to mitigate force feedback pulsing bug.

Edited by Trupobaw
PauloHirth

Type of improvement: Sounds

Explanation of proposals: Fly by sound, with real sound files, please check video:

Video:

Benefits: Realism, imersion, pleasure.

• Upvote 3

I used the forum search.. .. . . . 

Suggestion, Key Binding:

Could we have the option of deleting the entire default key binds?

During my deleting of default key binding and adding a custom key or axis, long procedure. ( Game locks up during key binding after aprox 5 - 10 min.)

Could we have the option to save & load our custom key binding assignments once save to whatever format?

Also when trying to use chat the keys assigned to O, I and some other keys will bring up menu items when typing into the chat interface during MP. 

Once in the menus I experience a graphical glitch on the text being displayed, like a flash and drag from the text from the menu at random.

BF- 109 Mixture will not bind to my WARTHOG HOTAS secondary throttle position, only a keyboard assignment works. 

Keep up the great work while mixing mainstream sim players within the grandeur of dedicated sim pilots to please them all. Well to please the majority. : :)

Regards, 

Static aka, Cyrix

Edited by Static
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Gameplay/Tutorial

Explanation of proposals:  Tutorial on wing leader commands. Ingame we got commands the player can use to command friendly AI. A full game tutorial would be nice to teach a player how to taxi, takeoff and landing etc, but I also think it is important to show us how to make the best use of the commands we got ingame. I could not make my AI wingman takeoff in Quick Mission without with several testing til I finally hit Auto Pilot which seemed to actived a command for my wingman to take off? If this is the case we need a command tutorial. 

Benefits: Giving commands as a wing leader makes much immersion of actually beeing a squad leader where your wingmen will do as you say. Sure you can test these commands one by one but with a propper tutorial we will KNOW how they work and not only think how they work. We should not have to look up vidoes on youtube to learn how a game work. I also hope we get a propper tutorial maybe for each plane, at least how we can or should manage our engines etc if we get full engine management and so on. 

SeriousFox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJA_5JitHU

Love the startups and sound!! 

Two details I'd like to see:

1. Snow on tires. They're completely clean!

2. Have the grass around the AC be affected by slip stream. 

Thanks for reading.

That's a nice startup sound! But personally it would be great if they add more pew pew sound from flywheel when engine starts.

SYN_Lt_Dan

Explanation of proposals: The ability to be able to jump out of crashed aircraft and run away 

Benefits: Not burning to death / being able to get clear when an enemy is strafing you 

• Upvote 3

Type of improvement: interface (?)
Explanation of proposals: showing runways, taxi ways and airfield structures in map
Benefits: taxi will not be a chaotic find-the-runway gymkhana, but the pilot could use structures and taxi ways to get oriented with this map information. I believe that the degree of detail when zooming in the map is high enough to include this information. When zoomed out, the airfield icon may appear on top, to facilitate airfields detection in large scale.

CZEforzamike

Type of improvement: Interface

Explanation of proposals: Can you add info about FLAPS position ( in %) to the HUD info box. ??

Benefits: Allows a better overview. 
Now I always have to look outside of the camera to see how much or little I have extended flaps.

CZEforzamike

Type of improvement: Gameplay / Graphic

- Shooting at ground targets such as trains, cars, and tanks deserve more spectacular explosions processing.
- When we look at the attached video is something completely different - more "fun" realistic. I wish I had more explosions, with pieces of material that will fly around.
- I think that must be the difference when crash Fockewulf or He111 fully loaded with bombs!!!
- The actual plane crash is also almost no effect - the explosion would be far greater. Smoke and fumes should last much longer.

The game is just fabulous!!! These are just little things that it definitely will improve the game even more.

Benefits: Better real game feeling, more realistic ground effects.

Thank you guys  :) 

• Upvote 1
CZEforzamike

Type of improvement: Gameplay / Graphic

- Shooting at ground targets such as trains, cars, and tanks deserve more spectacular explosions processing.

- When we look at the attached video is something completely different - more "fun" realistic. I wish I had more explosions, with pieces of material that will fly around.

- I think that must be the difference when crash Fockewulf or He111 fully loaded with bombs!!!

- The actual plane crash is also almost no effect - the explosion would be far greater. Smoke and fumes should last much longer.

The game is just fabulous!!! These are just little things that it definitely will improve the game even more.

Benefits: Better real game feeling, more realistic ground effects.

Thank you guys  :) 

VIDEO:

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: MP Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: There should be a way to see wether a player on a MP server is a pilot or a gunner.

I think a (G) behind each player name which is currently occupying a gunner position would help.

Benefits: Many people join the team with less players, but with the He-111 having up to 4 gunners, the overall number of players for each side doesn't mean much if you want to keep the number of planes balanced.

It should probably be a server option though.

• Upvote 2
=LD=Hethwill

Type of improvement: Camera / Interface 

Explanation of proposals: Disable Padlock snap camera when External Camera is enabled.

Benefits: Removes unrealistic edge in air combat where pilot eyes cam see "through" and "beyond" the cockpit position.

P.S. - Should be enabled fully in Records replay for movie making.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Typo

Explanation of proposals: Under settings / Controllers / Engine Controls, the commands for Throttle, Propeller Pitch and Engine Mixture have a typo. It reads:

To assign keys

- First press a key whith will cause increasing of the value

- After that, press a key whith will cause decreasing of the value

My suggestion is to rephrase these two sentences in these three categories with:

(propeller pitch assignment)

- First, press a key to increase propeller pitch

- Then, press a key to decrease  propeller pitch

(throttle assignment)

- First, press a key to advance throttle

- Then, press a key to retard the throttle

(engine mixture)

- First, press a key to increase air/fuel ratio

- Then press a key to lean out the fuel mixture

Or alternative to the above:

- First, press a key to increase the value

- Then, press a key to decrease the value

Benefits: Decreases confusion, clarifies controls

Edited by HitmanLOF
  • Upvote 2
c6_lefuneste

Explanation of proposals: Not having predictive & maybe repetitive campaign "full" mission

I like the approach you have on gameplay, too often sims are quite done on technical aspect (FM, DM, plane, and so on) but are finally  boring to play once you have learned how ot handle your planes.

I also like your choice of proposing "short" and "full" mission in SP campaign.

BUT, as it seems to me that for short mission you are right , I think that "full mission" shall be differents.

For short missions : you play it it's because you want all and now => if you play the short mission you'll want to find the enemy in the shortest time and shot it down, no time to spend in other tasks. if you don't kill it you don't succeed. No suprise. You got there, you find your target. You try to kill it. If you succed you win. Right.

For full missions: I think that people who will want to play them(as me) will want more. They want to have suprise and something more realistic. Maybe finally there will be no target at the indicated zone. Or not the planed one. And if they do not find it or managed to kill it, then the mission will not be considered as "not complete" if the pilot return back home or bail off in friendly zone. After all, in real life the pilot had to try to do their best and survive.

So you have the good idea, but do it completely: make short and full mission different in their objectives and handling.

Benefits: The campaign will fit more player and will not be too repetitive.

CZEforzamike
Type of improvement: gameplay / FLAPS

Explanation of proposals: I wish I had more opportunity for flaps setting. Now is possible to set the flaps fully down or fully up.

How about this:
If I am holding button for flaps down (V) flaps are going down in percentages (20, 40, 60, 80, 100%)
The same applies if I want flaps up - holding (F) and flaps are going up in percentages (20, 40, 60, 80, 100%)
It would be great if the player could see what position are flaps located. (in right box, like gears, engine, etc.)

Benefits: Better control of the flight during landing, take-off, bombing, air combat. Far better control of the flight.

Type of Improvement: Controls

Explanation of Proposal: Trim adjustments are too coarse for accurate trimming of aircraft. Would it be possible to make the 'steps' the trim tabs move two to four times finer? I find it impossible to trim any aircraft with three axis trim to fly hands-off as of now. I have heard others complain of this as well.

Benefits: Improved control of aircraft in all flight regimes.

• Upvote 2
1PL-Husar-1Esk
Type of improvement: Historical accuracy during Battle od Stalingrad

Explanation of proposals: Please add 250-kg flame bombs (similar to Napalm, presumably a kind of oil-gasoline mixture) to the J-87 Stuka witch was used in Stalingrad against tanks. 

Flame bombs also proved to be most effective because due to the heat developing the crew was incapacitated while the fuel container of the tank exploded.

Benefits: Immersion and historical accuracy and new damage/graphics effect

I/JG27_Nemesis

Type of improvement: Gameplay: Keep starting slot on an airfield reserved when "de- and respawning"
Explanation of proposals: currently, when you land safely at your home airfield in MP on a Dogfight server, you might lose your aircraft (not re-spawn the same type of aicraft again), your starting slot on the entire airfield (not re-spawn at all on that particular airfield) or even lose the ability to spawn again on that SIDE (Axis/VVS)!!

It would be much better to keep your aicraft and slot on the airfield and side RESERVED, untill you select a different airfield to start from.
Benefits: Less frustration, more fun in the game.

Edited by I/JG27_Nemesis
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Historical accuracy, gameplay

Explanation of proposals: The gunsight on the Ju 87 and those on the Russian planes were adjustable for level bombing. They all offered the possiblity to adjust the angle of the reflector glass and in case of the Pe-2, also to compensate for windage. The lack of this possibility makes it harder than necessary to level bomb in these planes and it can in some cases become really frustrating.

Benefits: Accurate representation of level bombing procedures, less frustrating bombing runs.

Type of improvement: Better mouse / zoom control in map.

Explanation of proposals:As of now when you try to zoom in the map "O" it doesn't zoom to where the mouse pointer is at.

For example, in ROF (and any other games/sims) wherever your mouse pointer is placed that is where you zoom in to, in BoS it seems to zoom in somewhere at random and not where your pointer is located.

Benefits:It would make it a lot more natural, easier and sensible as to where you move your mouse pointer onto a place of interest and want to zoom into that actual position.

Oh and a sizeable map box would also be nice. :)

I apologise if this has been asked already.

Mick. :)

Edited by 3instein

Type of improvement: UI

Relocate "Default" button in Settings screen from the immediate vicinity of ACCEPT and Devices

Explanation of proposal: This will remove some unnecessary clicks of Default button and thus saves time.

Benefits: Default button is usually not used very much, since pilots customize their own controls. As such, the button should be moved to e.g. upper right. The button could also have a confirm yes/no selection. This would save nerves and minimize unnecessary control adjustments. 

Edited by ElPerkele
unreasonable

1) Type of improvement: Gameplay

Provide improved formations for Axis fighters, especially finger four.

Explanation of proposal: current formation options do not include finger-four which was the standard axis fighter formation. The current V and echeclon formations stagger the wingmen too far behind the player so that they are very hard, sometimes impossible to see.

Benefits: improved historical realism, better control of the flight in SP

2)Type of improvement: GUI

Give us a key binding for the chat box independent of the HUD.

Details: currently if you want to see the chat box you have to have HUD on. While instruments etc can be turned off, (which is good), it is impossible to avoid the big yellow warning messages. But I need chat on since I cannot speak German or Russian.

Benefits: allows for maximum immersion/realism without losing vital game information

Edited by unreasonable
unreasonable

1)Type of improvement: Gameplay

Remove or change Change "player" automatic command at action point in SP campaign .

Details: currently, on arrival at action point in interception, the "player" automatically sights the enemy and simultaneously "orders" the flight to engage. This will happen even if you (the actual player) has not seen the enemy, and do not want the flight to engage just yet, perhaps because you wish to move to a better position.

It would be much better if the "sighting" came from either a wingman or ground control, and the order to attack was left to the discretion of the player.

Benefits: realism.

2)Type of improvement: gameplay

Turn off the lights!

Details: there are far too many people showing lights: really you would have been shot for less!

AI wingmen use landing lights at t/o and landing even in the day, fly with them all the time at night. Road convoys with headlights on.... come off it! None of this would have been tolerated.

Benefits: Realism

Edited by unreasonable
unreasonable

Type of improvement: realism, gameplay

Allow Axis fighters to start an SP mission as a pair, instead of 4. Either as a player choice or as part of the mission design, or as an "unlock".

Details: This was common practice on the E front at periods when the number of operational a/c was low and the need for CAP or local air superiority was high.

Benefits: Realism, added variety to mission types, makes the player think a bit more about when/how to engage.

unreasonable

Type of improvement: player humility

Add number of times player has been killed on the pilot card,

and possibly show the other numbers on the card (for sorties, air victories etc) since the last death, as well as the total. eg as "sorties 45/6", ie 45 sorties in total xp count, 6 since the last player death.

Details: goes some way to allowing player to role play a specific in-game pilot

Benefits: gives a much better sense of our progress as combat aviators than a simple total of all the kills achieved over multiple lives.

• Upvote 1
  • Jason_Williams locked this topic