BlackSix

Thread to gather your suggestions

Type of improvement: sounds

Explanation of proposals:  give us back the 109 incockpit sounds of first release!

Benefits: They just were so fantastic and spot on!...now it sounds just flat, basic, without depth.

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Explanation of proposals:  Plane in F3 view flyby is way too far from camera. Give us a zoom feature in F3! 

Benefits: To make movies, best is to get a zoom in F3 view, as in F2. Furthermore on high resolutions, the plane is actually really too far!

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Graphics
Explanation of proposals: Redraw the toggle switches in the Lagg cockpit to something that actually looks like a toggle switch (imo they look no better than they did in IL2)
Benefits: Better cockpit visuals

Type of improvement: Game Play (weapons and ammo) / Sound (radio convos)

Explanation of proposals: 

1) Sound - better radio conversations: Yuo should try to improve the radio conversation. At the moment they are extremely robotic, killing the whole realistic atmosphere. Try to vary the voice tones more and make them more human. Phrases should be recorded as a whole and not as a combination of more sound clips.

Benefits: more immersive gameplay and simulation, would make the radio conversation more interesting and ppl would actually listen to it. Right now it sounds like an ATIS radio transmission 

2) Gameplay - reload guns: I think you should be able to reload your ammo by flying back to the airfield and parking somewhere where you would receive a reload. Even better if a bunch AI men actually load the ammo in while you're waiting at the "dock station".

Benefits: This would enable players to make the battle longer, keep on fighting even if they finished their ammo. 

• Upvote 2

Explanation of proposals:  unspawning objects distance much greater than in ROF, please!

Benefits: I.e, so we could let a flight go on, and come back later to search it for interception + the dogfight aerial manoeuvres (taking much much more space than in WW1) couldn't be abruptly stopped by undesired unspawning.

As well as for landing or crashing  planes...please let them "alive" more longer without desappearing instantly.

Could benefit the movies makers as well!

• Upvote 5

Type of improvement: Interface

Explanation of proposals: Add commands to manage the map through keys: increase/decrease icon size on map for the objectives, zoom out and in, move the map around 

Benefits: As it is on Rof to interact with the map you need to use the mouse and it is really bothering; moreover it is impossible to  diminish the size of the objective icons and if you want an overall map it is often obscured by them. With new generation joysticks it is fairly easy to map the key on a controller and would really help the navigation and the immersion (to move the map around with the right click of the mouse is really immersion killer.. 

Type of improvement: Game Play (weapons and ammo)

Explanation of proposal: 

1) Gameplay - reload guns: I think ammo reload should be optional and adjustable. If reload is enabled, the amount of time taken to reload should be selectable as a percentage of historical reload time (per aircraft type) for the chosen loadout. E.g. 100% is fully historical (maybe 40 minutes for bombing up a jabo) and 10% is rapid (4 minutes).

Benefits: This would enable mission designers to control the playability of large battles to suit their needs, adding logisitcal dynamics of aircraft types into the situation, balancing gee-whiz versus realism. Imagine a pilot thinking, "I can either reload this Bf-110 in X minutes, or take the Bf-109F4 with weaker loadout in half the time".

Type of improvement: Interface/Immersion/Multiplayer

Explanation of proposal: Separate squadron and pilot names in interface, with possibility to change squadron. Idea would be that you could put in and choose to represent different squadron regarding what is suitable for side and mission. So when flying on soviet side player could put for example IAP something for squadron name and then if flying Luftwaffe next, could change it for example to some KG-name.

Benefits: Added immersion

Type of improvement: Immersion/Realism

Explanation of proposal: Actual pilot is way too small when looked upon from external.He needs to be ''enlarged'' like at least 20%

Benefits: No more hobbits :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Explanation of proposal: No lean ability at high speeds! + speed penalty without canopy.

Benefits: No cheating flying without canopy!

416856Leanability.jpg

Type of improvement: Graphics

Explanation of proposal: More glass reflections for gauges

Benefits: At least like the one in the red circle below, because other gauges seems to be poorly affected by reflections.

268122Glassreflection.jpg

• Upvote 4

Sorry, I had previously placed this in its own thread, instead of the "suggestions " thread

Type of  Improvement:  "Curves" modifications based on speed of joystick motion rather than position of joystick

Explaination of Proposals:  (See "Narrative" below")

Benefit:  Similar level of stick response even when pulling "G" in a turn

Narrative:

There is another post that appears to argue the reality or non-reality of using modifications to joystick control "curves".  For the purpose of this topic, I will just accept that curves are useful, especially when trying to simulate a 3 foot control stick with a 6 inch desk mounted joystick, or when mapping the roughly 270° of head and torso motion with a 10° arc from the center of the screen using Track IR.

The way that curves have been set up to work, both in joystick modifications, as well as for Track IR modifications, is that they allow the user to set up less sensitivity when near-center and greater sensitivity when further away from center.  In theory, this works fairly well.  If your joystick is trimmed out and you are in neutral flight, and essentially you are "trimmed" when on the bandit's 6 o'clock in a dogfight, then such curves will allow you to make milder adjustments to obtain a firing solution.  Similarly, using Track IR, when you are nearer to the center of the airplane, the image shouldn't appear to jump around as much when you are zoomed in (I won't even bother discussing the "precision" mode of Track IR, as I have not figured out how to go in and out of precision mode depending upon how zoomed-in the flight simulators is).  Let's call this type of modified sensitivity a "first-order" sensitivity, dependent upon position of the controller.

It sounds great on paper, but it doesn't seem to work as well for poor pilots as myself!  I generally do not trim out in the middle of a dogfight, so frequently as I am pulling some G while trying to stay in the slot behind my target, I am pulling on the stick.  Thus, I already have a fair amount of deformation from center on my stick, especially in the pitch axis.  Similarly, I often zoom-in with the screen while looking to identify whether the bogey at my 7 or 8 o'clock is a friendly or a foe.  In both of these cases, I am no longer down on the low sensitivity area of my adjustment curves, even though my goal is to make fairly fine changes (it's really amazing how much the screen jumps around while looking towards my 7 o'clock and then progressively increasing my zoom).

I guess what we really need is a sensitivity curve based not on first-order position but on second-order change in position (speed of change in position).  In theory, this would be taken up by damping, but I do not understand the mathematics between decreasing the sensitivity or how damping functions work (the latter may, for as much as I understand, remove some of these finer position changes, where that is NOT AT ALL what the goal would be here).  In other words, no matter where your stick position is being held, relatively slow and small movements to the stick, such as when tracking a bandit, should be in fact made small.  Similarly, with Track IR, relatively small head motions when zoomed-in and looking off-center should also be made small.

As I am no game designer, no computer programmer, and no mathematician, do you 1C Studios designers think that this is a reasonable goal that can be achieved, this "second-order" basis for curves for joystick motions and/or track IR (I understand that you do not write the track IR software)?

PS – The program War Thunder has a clever view modification: when you bring your head closer to the screen, not only do you get closer to the things in the cockpit, but it also increases the zoom at the same time.  This works quite well for looking at things in the distance especially when they are not on the centerline of the airplane, such as my example of trying to identify the aircraft off my 7 o'clock.  In fact, it's so intuitive, that I find myself zooming in and out without even thinking about it, just to get a better view of an aircraft or building in the distance, or to increase my field of view when maneuvering or in a dogfight.  If this type of feature is not under intellectual property protection, you guys should adopt this!

Type of improvement: Graphics

Explanation of proposal: More diversity in damage models.

I noticed in the Alpha, the static objects have one damage model. The result is, that if you put a number of the same objects next to each other (as in aircraft on an airfield) and you destroy them it looks very fake since every object will be destroyed in the exact same way! See screenshot:

2013_12_20__21_36_2_zps249bd224.png

Solution: Apart form single objects, also create groups of objects, each with a slightly different damage model. If you then mix these with single objects you already have a much more diverse and more convincing scenery.

Example. A single static Dr1 and a set of two static Dr1s in Rise of Flight:

dr1_damage_ingame_zps75001a3b.jpg

Benefits: Looks much more realistic, doesn't kill immersion.

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Upvote 2

Type of  Improvement:  Curves

Benefit:  more detailed user controls..smoother operation of stick inputs. More realistic

Would be cool to have at least as detailed curves for pitch, yaw and roll in BOS as we have in ROF...So we can make precise and smooth curves with points for all axes...

• Upvote 2

Type of  Improvement: Improvement of Cockpit textures, making the pilot feel like flying a new (at its time) state-of-the-art aircraft, not like some old museum plane.

Benefit:  When you see a historical Warbird from 1942 in the year 2014, it will probably look the way the 109F4 Cockpit looks right now, with all the painting having suffered, some instruments showing corrosion of the metal and so on. However, if you looked at that very same aircraft coming fresh from the factory back in the year 1942, it surely didn't have corrosion at the instruments and not so bad painting that suffered over 60 years...

Suggestion: Make textures look like they looked during the 1940s, not like they look now in the 2010ths...

cockpit_60years_old.jpg

Edited by I/JG27_Nemesis
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Graphics.
Explanation of proposals: only when bombs are loaded, add a red line at 45° on the front panel of the lateral window of canopy (both sides) as seen on many Bf 109s.

post-481-0-86078000-1387623550_thumb.jpg 
Benefits: an historically accurate visual help for the correct dive angle in Jabo missions.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Immersion/Realism

Explanation of proposals: Bombs hiting the frozen river dont brake ace. It would be cool to have effects on the ice river. Not a big deal but vould be nice.

Benefits: Immersion/Realism

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Flight model

Explanation of proposals: Could you model (or increase if already modelled) the air forces on ailerons/elevator/rudder in regard of speed, to increase the plane's weight feeling, decrease the "paper plane" feeling, and simulate the pilot's stick efforts?

Benefits: To greatly reduce the weird effects we can see in this video from 1.30 to 2.00: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKE-qeEO8EM#t=3

• Upvote 3

Type of  Improvement: GUI / 3 Screens

Suggestion: Place speedbar/map on the center screen when flying with a 3 screen setup. Right now the speedbar is on the left screen, and the map is on the right screen. Very hard to look at both while flying with a TrackIR on my head. This can also go for the menu GUI as well. Make everything fit on the center screen just like you're using 1 monitor.

Benefit: I can stay focused on staring forward with my TrackIR on my head and have to turn less to read vital info on my map as well as setting up my options in the main menu.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement:  help stop FM discussions

Explanation of proposals:  show AoA and g-load in info window

Benefits: This will convince user in correctness of FM and prevent uncorrect assumptions (like AoA of 45 degrees etc.)

Edited by Svetlana
  • Upvote 3

Type of improvement: Better F2 view camera control for TrackIR users

Explanation of proposals: Add TrackIR functionality for camera control in F2 view

Benefits: Not everyone has the mouse easily available, adding the ability to use head movement for tracking camera movements in F2 mode should add functionality

• Upvote 3

Type of improvment: Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: Greater spotting distance. Find a compromise for playability purposes. You made planes appearing at 3Km just like in ROF, but at 2.25Km we are still unable to see and follow them, hence starting any combat manoeuvre (see pict below on 2560X1440 reso).

Even if doing so, it's not what you think of what it could be in reality, a COMPROMISE has to be found to counterpart our poor environmental awereness using computers screens.

Either you should make the plane really VISIBLE at 3Km (actually nothing to see at 3Km), or make the actual spotting rendering + 1Km more.

Benefits: Just playability. A sim unplayable unless using icons isn't viable at long range utilisation (at least for "hard core" simmers)

349322BOSspotting.jpg

• Upvote 6

Type of improvment: Damage model

Explanation of proposals: Keeping in mind it's only 35% finished... but actually each single time i'm hitted (at first ennemy burst that i don't see any tracers btw) it always end instantly with broken sight, hole in canopy, and broken gauges.

Just hoping you will be able to add more variant damage model to player plane  ;)

Benefits: allowing player to search what damage could have been done, other than this one repeatedly:

234090damage.jpg

• Upvote 2

Type of improvment: Altimeter gauge Fl22320 of Bf109 (and other German planes)

Explanation of proposals: Please include correct working Altimeter Fl22320 ('QFE' and 'QFF' pressure) for German planes

The hand adjustable "E"-slider moves the red triangle on the left and is used for indication of 'QFE' pressure. (atmosferic pressure at airfield elevation - on the ground your altimeter would indicate "0", in case of the correct QFE setting... Even if your landing ground was at 300 metres above sea level, e.g.)

The hand adjustable "F"-slider moves the red triangle close to it for indication of 'QFF' pressure. (pressure calculated for sea-level (The place at which the pressure was measured was taken into account as well as the atmosferic conditions) - QFF corresponds with values found on isobaric weather charts for ground level)

A description you can find here: http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/downloads/Dokumente/Geratezeichnungen/20000-22000/22000/Fl22320.jpg

Fl22320mittel.gif

Benefits: Pilots are able to set up the altimeter probably and they can choose with the E- or F-slider between height of airfield or sealevel. Adds more realism, gives more simulation, is closer to reality, and much more immersive. Thank you

• Upvote 4

Type of improvement: Scoring system (multiplayer and single player)

Explanation of proposal: Since some specific items/planes/improvements have to be unlocked by playing (I guess this will be done by some scoring system) I suggest to offer the player to earn some bonus points for shooting down a superiour plane by one that can be considered inferiour (for instance shooting down a 109 by IL2 or I16 should give for instance 20% extra points and shooting down a 109 by the current Lagg3 version for instance extra 10%). This might incite people to use these planes perhaps more often - at least until they've unlocked everything. I also suggest to have a scoring system in multiplayer that rewards those who choose these kind of planes or ground attack planes. 

Type of improvment: Controls

Explanation of proposals: Enable zoom with headtracking. Add an option to choose if you want to use the Z-Axis to move forward/backward or to zoom in/out

Benefits: More precise way to control zoom and more convenient for some players

• Upvote 2

Explanation of proposals: More options to create custom joystick axis curves, with different sensitivities, shifted center and smoothing

--> Curve editor like in ROF or IL2-JoyControl programm

Benefits: More precise controls, also for older joystick, better "feeling" of the aircraft.

Explanation of proposals: Option to use joystick buttons as "Shift"-Buttons to combine joystíck buttons for less often used functions like "Button 3+Button 7" for "Canopy open/close", while having "Button 7" mapped for "Flaps down"

Benefits: More individual controls, easier to access controls also for users with not that many joystick buttons.

post-13728-0-05229800-1388941857_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 7

Type of improvement: Graphics

Explanation of proposals: Add spark effects when part of your plane (i.e wings) gets ripped off, smashes against another object (i.e metal or another hard surface), or gets hit by bullets.

Benefits: Not only would the effect add more realism to the damage model but it would also increase the visual fidelity of the game.

Type of improvement: Aircraft controls.

Explanation of proposal: Add aircraft control option for key to "set trim to neutral"; especially ELEVATOR trim, as it is not always easy to view elevator trim neutral position in cockpit.

Benefits: Able to set elevator trim to neutral even if unable to see trim position indicator in cockpit.

Thank you for your consideration.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Upvote 4

Type of improvment: GUI/Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: For us SP users, give us a log book within career mode, to gather automatically our victories of course, but also where we could type our flight adventures! Plus rank upgrade tracking, medals earned and pilot photo would be welcome  :cool:

Benefits: SP gameplay immersion

Type of improvement:  Gameplay / GUI

Explanation of proposals: Add a tower view that you can use to check out the field conditions before you hit fly.

Benefits: Watch the first two minutes of this video that shows the tower view in Aces High II (Similar to Warbirds (Warbirds III (Warbirds 2012)))

As you can see. You can clearly see other planes flying around and taking off. This not only increases the immersion but allows you to check field conditions for weather, time of day and if the field is currently under attack.

Simple Implementation:

In RoF when you load into a multiplayer game it preloads the map and other required content. Then it places you at a spectator camera that is placed by the map/mission creator. Then it overlays the map / plane setup on top of the spectator camera to hide the view.

In BoS all you would need to do is allow the mission creator to place a spectator camera for each airfield. Or you could force a spectator camera attached to a tower object. Then when you select your airfield and hit spectate you will be taken to a spectator camera overlooking the airfield you selected.

Complex Implementation:

This would require you to create an interior view of a control tower for each side. Then you can pogram a button to take you into the control tower instead of launching as an airplane. You could then assign certain functions to people inside the control tower. These functions could be directing and tracking air groups on the map and generic other ATC functions.

I would like to see at least the simple implementation. Everything past being able to see what is going on at the airfield before launching your flight would be bonus but I feel at least the simple implementation is needed.

Edited by =AGW=Master

Type of improvement:  Graphics
Explanation of proposals: Make SSAO an option to activate/deactivate
Benefits: With SSAO always on, image is not clear as it should be on some rigs (i.e mine)

Very annoying to get this bad filter on.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement:  Graphics
Explanation of proposals: Give Stalingrad same kind of ROF dust/smoke cloud floating over the destroyed city, as an option if possible.
Benefits: To enhance the constantly destroyed city atmosphere and add some virtual life to it.

Type of improvement:Control / Graphics

Explanation of proposals: Individual settings for flaps, Combat, Takeoff, Landing, 10deg?, Functional slide side window in bf109, Ir tracker fov lean to gun site zoom and head position off-center to gun site.

Benefits: More user friendly way to set flaps to a set amount since most of us don't have a form of wheel control or lever for flaps, More realistic feel with slide-able side window and breeze flowing in, Ir tracker lean function  lean forward  a large amount so you can view through the gun site much like in il2 cod rather then looking at it through a small distance away being restricted and not being able to lean any further to the gun site  ,having the pilots default head position off center to the gun site would make it more realistic in the bf109 as well maybe bind this to lean to gun site for non ir tracker users.

Type of improvement:  Control

Explanation of proposals: Add "Toggle Gunsight illumination" control

Benefits:The current state is not a little realistic...while gunsight has litup until it finished the mission and landed from before engine starting.

Gunsight is made to turn on before a battle by adding this control -- it becomes realistic.It will brace up the heart of a player.

Il2-CoD had "toggle gunsight" control -- it was small, but it was the very wonderful feature. :biggrin:

Edited by foobolt
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement:  Rank insigna

Explanation of proposals: Add the rank insignia on the flight suit sleeves of Luftwaffe pilots and crew members. (An Oberst on the screenshot below).

post-481-0-34713400-1390212565_thumb.jpg

Benefits: Eye candy

Type of improvment: graphics

Explanation of proposals: IMO, unlike on Emils, ailerons tabs of Bf 109 Fs (and later versions) were not painted in red with a white "nicht verstellen" as done on the skins but left in the original camouflage colour and outlined with a red doted line.

post-481-0-25055600-1390599782_thumb.jpg

Benefits: historical accuracy

Type of improvement: graphics

Explanation of proposals:  no flashing propeller dish

I regulary pilot ultra light plane, and never noticed that I have a flashing propeller in front of me. When the motor is on, the propeller is simply not visible at all. In all flight sims, devs seems think that is looks better to have this unrealistic, big, epileptic, flashing zone. In fact I found it very annoying, especially when using zoom to aim.

So it should be more realistic and comfortable to remove the flashing effect and replace it by a transparency degree linked to the rpm of the propeller. The faster it turns, the more it will be transparent.

Benefits:  eye comfort, realistic modelization.

Type of improvement: Miscellaneous

Explanation of proposals: Add a FPS counter to the game, with simple start / stop command, giving current, minimum, maximum and average fps.

Benefits: User has better information what his rig can do under which settings / environments, developers get more feedback.

Type of improvement: gameplay

Explanation of proposals:  Custom Realism Experience points should not be set to zero, regardless of the settings.

If I remove some items of the “normal” realism settings (for example the engine auto control, the radiator assist) the Experience factor is set to zero. But I had chosen settings harder than “normal” settings. And the expert settings does not fit my taste, I like to have labels, instrument panels and so on.

So I think I will not be able to gain experience with settings fitting my taste. I will have to fly with with too easy or too hard settings if I want to gain experience. It should be smarter to compute the experience factor from the activated options , so the custom level will give an experience factor between 0 and 1.5

Benefits:  Pilots will have the possibility to have their settings without loosing any chance to gain experience.

Edited by lefuneste01

Type of improvement: Gameplay/Interface

Explanation of proposals: This game definitely needs a player aid that shows a list of relevant buttons for different situations. For example when your plane is still on the ground waiting for take off the player aid shows relevant buttons needed in taking off like engine start, wheel brakes, flaps, gears etc. It would also be a nice feature if this player aid could show your HOTAS configuration with different buttons. This list of buttons/commands could be for example in top left corner on the screen.

Benefits: Of course you can always check these things in control settings, but at least I as a casual player can't remember all the buttons and button combinations and I don't want to write them on the paper and stick it on my monitor so I think it would be very helpful feature.

Type of improvement: AI

Explanation of proposals: Make AI pilots less scared of low-altitude flights and low-altitude combat! After all, many Sturmovik mission flights were carried out at very low altitude during ingress, so enemy planes should be able to actually chase and fight them, instead of pulling up every time.
Benefits: More sweat, more thrills and more historical/operational/behavioural accuracy!

Edited by Picchio