Thread to gather your suggestions

BlackSix

CZEforzamike

Type of improvement: possibility to leave the cab in an emergency landing on the ground.

Explanation of proposals: Imagine that: emergency landing with for example HE-111, engines burning, you are at a height of 200 meters, you want go down and land as soon as possible, bingo you've landed, plane is still burning and you want get your crew out of the burning plane. HOOPS you can't!!! Everyone must burn to ashes.  :rolleyes: 
This possibility was even in the old Sturmovik!!! Why is now missing??

Benefits: how to say? Save a life? :)

Edited by CZEforzamike
  • Upvote 2
coconut

Type of improvement: Interface
Explanation of proposals:

Only render translator icons that are currently enabled on the mission map. Note that translator icons in the mission editor can be enabled and disabled, but the game appears to ignore this. All translator icons are always visible.
Benefits:

Ability to have the map reflect the current status of the mission. When joining a long-going multiplayer mission, it can be difficult to know which targets have already been destroyed. It's not fun spawning in a bomber, spending 15 min taking off and flying to the objective, to find nothing because the target has already been destroyed.

In general, missions that are dynamic can be confusing for players if the map doesn't reflect the current status. It's a pity, because dynamic missions provide direct feedback to players, showing them the effects of their actions, and can therefore been more fun than static missions.

• Upvote 1
VR-DriftaholiC

Type of improvement: Controls

Explanation of proposals: Allow keybinding for engine 1 and 2 prop feathering separately 

Benefits: Will no longer need to use silly engine 1 and 2 control buttons that break immersion. I will see the dev team cares about player input and preorder BOM  :salute: 

Edited by driftaholic
FlyingShark

Type of improvement: Control/Gameplay.

Explanation of proposals: Please enable the course setter on the repeater compass

Benefits: Course setting would help for realistic navigation.

(I suggested this before but could not find the right words so I deleted the old post and rewrite it here).

:salute:

• Upvote 2
BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  The way Mission Editor handles saving/Loading

Explanation of proposals:  It would be helpful if the way the mission editor handles saving and loading was revamped so that the .list file wasn't so touchy and to allow for loading/saving over a networked drive

Benefits:  The way it works now, it can be very touchy if you try to work from a folder that isn't the folder that the mission will ultimately end up in (the .list file gets very touchy about this)  The folder you are working from, it seems, has to have the same last file structure as the folder you are going to run it from.  This makes it a bit of a pain to work out of a "working folder" before ultimately moving it to the final folder you are actually going to run the mission in the game from.

Also, I run a dserver on another networked computer.  This computer is a "server" type computer, that is, it has no keyboard, mouse or monitor.  To access it, I have to "remote" in.  This makes running the editor on that computer a pain due to the slight "lag" associated with remoting in.  I can, however, access any folder on that computer from my main computer.  Now, what I have to do is, grab the files from the server mission folder, drag them to the main computer mission folder, edit them, then drag them back to the server mission folder.

It would be so much easier if I could just open the files from the networked computer in the mission editor running on the main computer, then save them directly back to the networked server mission folder.

BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  Mission Editor Usage Improvement

Explanation of proposals:  Make objects in tree completely manipulatable

Benefits:  It would be nice if you could do many more things just by clicking on them in the tree.  Things like multi-select through either drag or ctrl click, or or add object/target by clicking on the object in the tree.  Essentially, it would be nice to manipulate an object when you click on it in the tree as if you've clicked on the object on the map.  Obviously with some limitations (you would not be able to drag the objects location or orientation in the tree for instance); but there are several things you could do just by clicking on the tree object that you can't now.

This would be very beneficial as sometimes things, by necessity, get put on top of each other and you have to set up and transfer between groups to ensure you are selecting (or even to be able to select) the object you want.  Or you have to select the object from a list (which isn't that bad).  But, I use a CAD program that has a 3D interface and a tree similar to this and as convenience dictates, I use both the 3D interface and the tree.  It optimizes efficiency greatly

Edited by TynMahn
BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  Mission Editor feature

Explanation of proposals:  Make planes (or all objects for that matter) that are "activated" regenerate after they are destroyed.  Or make it possible to "spawn" airplane groups

Benefits:  As it is now, you can only "activate" an airplane group/wing.  Activated objects are not available to re-activate after they are destroyed.  So if you want to have the same group respawn, you have to put several instances of the same group/wing in the mission set to activate upon specific unique triggers.  Or you can spawn several planes in certain ways to "simulate" a wing, but this spawned "wing" will not behave as a wing as they are separate planes and not a true wing.

The simple solution would have a setting that allows for the activated object to "regenerate" upon being destroyed, where it would go to the original pre-activate state and wait for the proper trigger to re-activate.  Or give us the ability to "spawn" groups/wings.  Either of these would work, however, I'd prefer the "activate" option.

• Upvote 1
BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  D-Server Console improvements

Explanation of proposals:  To improve functionality the following should be added to the D-Server Console:

- A history list showing players that have entered, and when they left
- A timer/event monitor, giving an indication on how much time remains before the next mission cycles (event monitor may not be feasible as certain "triggers" don't activate until certain things happen and the dserver may not know what the v-conditions are at any given time during the mission, but a timer certainly is)
- A Mission list that is loaded in the sds that was used to launch the dserver
- A SAVE AS OPTION IN THE MANAGE SDS SCREEN.  The way it is, if I want to use a previous sds for a format, I must make a physical copy, rename it, then load it on the dserver because there is no option to "save as".  Very cumbersome and annoying.

Benefits:  The usability of the d-server console would be greatly improved by adding this functionality; especially the last one about the manage sds screen

Edited by TynMahn
BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  rCON improvements

Explanation of proposals:  To improve the functionality of the rCON the following additions would be helpful:
- please, for the love of all that is holy, put a "browse" button on the .sds command.  Having to remember and type in the entire file path (after "data") and file name to change .sds files really bites
- A "manage sds" screen would be nice here too so I wouldn't have to "remote in" to write a new sds (although, I suppose, now that I think about it, sds is probably a text file that could be written outside the dserver....whatever)

Benefits: These options would increase the usability of the rCON and make it easier for those of us that don't actually have the d-server running on the computer that they are on to manage the d-server remotely 

Edited by TynMahn
BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  Sound options improvement

Explanation of proposals:  A separate option for sound level (and on/off for each) for:
- Master (controls the overall sound)
- Music
- Engine sounds
- Events (hit sounds, gear/flap etc sounds, etc)
- Radio communication sound
- Interface sounds

Benefits:  Most games have options similar to this.  I find it a bit perplexing that this game doesn't.  I don't want to turn off the menu music, but it is too loud.  I would like to turn it down some.  Maybe this already exists and I am just missing it.

• Upvote 1
BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  Gameplay

Explanation of proposals:  Revamp the "ranking" system to allow for more than the two limited settings we have now.  It would not be that difficult to assign certain percentage penalties or benefits depending on what is checked on or off

Benefits:  As it is now, you only have two options.  The "expert" option is limiting because I actually play at (and in time plan to host a server) that is harder than these settings (no map icon) and players on this server will be penalized as non-ranked because of the limitation placed on them by you.

With a more dynamic percentage style you could allow for a much wider range of customization of options

Edited by TynMahn
BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  Multiplayer

Explanation of proposals:  MUCH more information NEEDS to be available on the multiplayer lobby.  Player lists (that shows players on-line, whether they are in game or not, what game they are in, a way to add friends) Game Settings, A description of current mission being ran on the server, a way to search (either by server name, or by friends in game).

The additional info could be obtained by hovering over the server.

Players and friends could be added in a list.

Benefits:  As it is, the multiplayer lobby is pretty sparse and not real conducive to promoting a vibrant on-line multiplayer environment.  If people could get a better idea about a server, they could make a more informed (read easier than going in and out of many servers until they find one they are looking for) decision about which server they want to enter.  With a player list, you could easily find where someone you like to fly with is and join his game

• Upvote 3
BM357_TinMan

Type of improvement:  Mission Editor

Explanation of proposals:  The ability to dynamically associate or disassociate any (or all) of the members of a group (airplanes, trucks, tanks, etc) from a group to operate as an individual or to join another group on event.  It would be cool to have a group of trucks driving, meet with another group, have some go one way, have some go another and have a single drive off by himself.  Specifically, what I’d like to do now is have a convoy of trucks drive from an airfield to a town, then when they get to the town, have them break up and go and park at different locations.  So, what would be cool would be to have them start from different locations at the airfield drive to a specific way point and have a command for each of them to link to the lead once they reached the waypoint, then have another trigger that triggers the lead truck to start the trek after the last truck has linked.  Drive to the town, when they reach the town waypoint, have a command that breaks the group links and allows them to pursue their own waypoints again.

Also, if this is possible, it could be used as a work around to have a “group” activate multiple times during a mission.  Planes could be “spawned” on event, then another event could be used  as above to create a group to get around the whole inability to continuously activate groups after destruction

Benefits:  Add more dynamic options to missions building

(I don’t know if this is already possible.  I have posted the question on the forums and if I get an answer, I will delete this suggestion)

L3Pl4K

Type of improvement: Balanced or custoum loading art.

Explanation of porposals: I could be nice to see a german plane shot down a russian or something else. I know it is a russian game. To save manpower you could make a art competition maybe some guys in forum have the skill to make some nice pictures.

Benefits: equal treatment

• Upvote 1
coconut

Type of improvement: Fast-forward gameplay

Explanation of proposals:

It is currently possible to fast-forward single-player missions, but only up to 2x. Higher ratios would be useful to mission designers. When developing a multiplayer mission that spreads over several hours, 2x is not enough.

Additionally, it would be useful to allow speed-up in online multiplayer missions too, also for development purposes. Maybe the GUI of DServer.exe could be extended to allow mission designers to speed up missions from there.

Benefits:

Make testing missions less time-consuming. This would make it easier to develop long missions, which is typically needed for multiplayer missions.

• Upvote 4
1PL-Husar-1Esk
Type of improvement: When you fly into another plane fuel leak, oil, water or another spills yours plane canopy should get doused or dirty.

Explanation of proposals: More realistic and immersive.

Benefits: Yet another small step for better simulation, which could change some tactics.

• Upvote 4
L3Pl4K

Typ of Improvement. Global presets for planes

Explanation of proposals: Make a preset for your planes. Save your favorite modification, fuellevel and skin.

Benefits: Fast spawn, more comfort

• Upvote 2
L3Pl4K

Type of Improvement: Wind screen cleaning system for BF 109 G2

Explanation of proposals:  If engine or oil system hit, windscreen get dirty. Then use the cleaning system to improve the visibility.

Benefits: give the plane a historic advantage

• Upvote 3
FlyingShark

Typ of Improvement. Controls

Explanation of proposals: Please give us the option to reset the horizontal stabiliser like we can do with the other trims. By preference, let it reset by using the same control as the "reset trimmers" one.

Benefits: Ease of use, more comfort. I actually don't see why we can reset trimmers without being able to reset the one of the horizontal stabiliser.

• Upvote 1
CZEforzamike

Typ of Improvement: boring campaign without soul

Explanation of proposals: Guys the game is absolutely great no doubt about it!!! But campaign is so boring!!!!
Tthere is no difference between a quick missions and a campaign - maybe is quick mission even better!!!
Campaign is only for unlocking content, nothing more. Not all players want to play online, there's a lot of players who prefer to play ofline!
For those players is campaign totally empty.

I am missing some content for my virtual pilot: historical units, historical pilots, the opportunity to watch your career, colleagues in the squadron, proceed in command, taking care of its pilots and aircraft, marking paint your own, just authentic battlefield (not necessarily realistic), as it knew how today twenty years old simulators!

Benefits: online players support, a real sense of mission in campaign.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Typ of Improvement. Sound Missing

Explanation of proposals: Please some sound to the airframe of each aircraft being stressed during tight turns.

Benefits: Better realism. More feedback to pilots actions.

• Upvote 2
LLv24_Zami

Type of Improvement: Game map

Explanation of proposals: Draw frontlines to the briefing map and flightmap in campaign.

Benefits: Immersion and better situational awareness

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...
F/JG300_Gruber

Type of Improvement: HE111 engine behavior

Explanation of proposals: Lower the trigger altitude of the superchargers to 2500-2600m instead of  3000m

Benefits: Less time for bomber pilots to climb to a safe operational altitude. These last 500m are always just painfully slow to get above, even with "light" loadouts (35% fuel and 1500kg of bombs).

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber
  • Upvote 1
F/JG300_Gruber

Type of Improvement: HE111 engine behavior

Explanation of proposals: Lower the trigger altitude of the superchargers to 2500-2600m instead of  3000m

Benefits: Less time for bomber pilots to climb to a safe operational altitude. These last 500m are always just painfully slow to get above, even with "light" loadouts (35% fuel and 1500kg of bombs).

A bit more in depth idea : climb mode parameters are 2400rpm and 1.25ATA. By testing, with full throttle at 2400rpm, it is impossible to maintain 1.25 ATA above 2600m. This should be where the turbochargers kicks in. 3000m is a bit too high.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: External Camera view

Explanation of proposals: Give us the option to use Track IR when in external view as in other sims such as IL2'46 and CloD.

Benefits: It is much easier to look around by moving your head a few inches than by taking your hand off the stick or throttle to use the mouse.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Allow tanks (only the heavy armor vehicles) to go though forests and knock down trees if necessary on way to destination.

Explanation of proposal: Allows more historically accurate and realistic cover for heavy armored ground unit groups (instead of just open fields or open roads which seems quite unrealistic when under threat from air attacks).

Benefit: More realistic, more believable.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
LLv34_Untamo

Type of improvement:  Full mission editor - Time control MCU component

Explanation of proposals:  Ability to control mission time with a time control MCU component: Setting, freezing and possibly even fast forwarding or slowing day's time flow, without affecting the speed of the simulation, just the time of day. For example, mission runs 24/7 with unlimited mission length, starting at dawn, day goes by, and when the night comes date-time trigger calls the time control component which sets the time back to dawn, rinse and repeat.

Benefits:  Makes possible running persistent and dynamic missions 24/7 with normal flow of time while skipping night times, or with time frozen to day-time.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • 3 weeks later...
Finkeren

Type of improvement: Plane controls: I-16 landing gear.

Explanation of proposal: I'd like to propose, that the current modeling of the controls of the I-16s manually operated landing gear be changed from a single key stroke which activates the raising/lowering of the gear (same as the other planes, just slower) to a press-and-hold type of control similar to operating the Bf 109s manual flaps. Letting go of the key too soon will leave the landing gear in a semi-extended position, in danger of becoming stuck or damaged at high air speed or collapsing on landing.

Benefit: More accurately simulates the pilot actually having to use one hand to crank the gear up and down for an extended period of time and forces the player to make sure, that the gear is properly retracted/extended or else risk damage or failure on landing - a very real risk for pilots flying with manually operated landing gear.

• Upvote 9
LLv24_Zami

Type of improvement: More units and diversity to campaign missions

Explanation of proposal: Please add missing ground units to the campaign. For example rocket launchers, StugIII etc.

Add AI flights to use premium planes sometimes. Add AI flights to use different load outs, use gunpods for example.  Add AI Jabo flights. AI planes should use different skins, not always the same default winter one.

More mission types for player and AI. Possibility to fly as wingman.

Benefit: More diversity in missions -> More interesting missions -> People won`t get bored

Remontti

Type of improvement: Smaller / movable chat and technical info

Explanation of proposals: Please make the chat and technical info font smaller. They could also be movable like they are in ROF.

Benefits: Chat text and technical info won't block your view so much. With smaller font you could see more chat messages and won't miss important info so easily.

Type of improvement: Control/Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: Allow to switch beacon channels with a key command.

Currently, the Mission Editor already support specifying different radio beacon channels - but we do not have a way to switch between them in-game. Add a simple key command that cycles over beacon channels. Additionally, the technochat can show beacon name from "ndb" vehicle item name field. This means, that when cycling you could see "Beacon channel: Pitomnik" or "Beacon channel: Oblivskaya" when you have two "ndb" vehicle objects with different beacon channels named "Pitomnik" and "Oblivskaya".

Benefits: Ability to use more than one radio beacon source in game.

Edited by Sim
  • Upvote 4
72sq_Savinio

Type of improvement: Dserver options

Explanation of proposals: Allow to switch some tech chat icon on/off  by server side

Actually aircraft engine management it’s so easy. To save your engine we need only to look at chat icons, not at cockpit panel.

Benefits: Better realism in engine management.

Edited by 72sq_Savinio
  • Upvote 9
Picchio

Type of improvement: Campaign/Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: Create an option so that the player can simply choose to fly not as leader.

Benefits: Chance to do some nice formation flying (which we all love, don't we? :blush:) , and possibly add a little more gameplay diversity for the current campaign.

• Upvote 5
AwesomeSprawvy

Type of improvement: Game Play / Navigation Flight

Explanation of proposals: Add the ability to view wind speed and direction at various altitudes on the main map. Currently, you only have access to this information when flying an aircraft with a bombsight.

Benefits: I believe this will assist those pilots who are trying to navigate an IL2 or JU87 to their target, but do not have the option to fly a direct route because of other action occurring in the area.

• Upvote 2
CZEforzamike

Type of improvement: Game Play / View / Classic F8 Camera

Explanation of proposals: Why is missing classic old Sturmovik camera view (F8 key)
F2 camera view is free in all dimensions and for example it is quite difficult to land with this external view.

F4 camera view is completely useless. Please give us back F8 camera. Firmly fixed rear view plane. Like it was in old Sturmovik.

Benefits: Better plane control in external view!!!!!!!!!!! 

Reflected

Type of improvement: Graphics

Explanation of proposals: Please re-work smoke trails and fuel/ oil leaks a little. Smoke trails should be a little longer, and end less abruptly. Fuel and oil leaks should be much thinner. Now they look quite the same, only with different color.

Benefits: more realism

• Upvote 3
Picchio

Type of improvement: Campaign/Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: Grant a cold start (or with warmed up engine too, it could be random - what's important, I think, it's just to start not on the runway, all the time) for campaign missions. It could be a proper, separated option, or part of the generated mission's characteristics.

Benefits: A little more immersion, a little more variability. Personally, I feel it's very thrilling to taxi out from parking for the day's task; especially since BoS simulates ground handling very nicely.

• Upvote 3
vrockpocky

Type of improvement: Gameplay / immersion

Explanation of proposal: Make it possible to increase the head shake effect (roll, x, y etc. when the aircraft moves around) in cockpit view, similar to what can be found in dcs, older il2 titles, or what utilities like ezdock provide for fsx. Currently, even with headshake enabled, the cockpit camera is still mostly static except for some trembling with low engine rpms. 

Benefits: Added immersion in cockpit view. 

• Upvote 4
Picchio

Type of improvement: Graphics/Shadow quality

Explanation of proposals: Currently, it seems that shadows' resolution (shadow maps' resolution?) automatically scales down; in my experience, this occurs when framerate goes lower than a certain threshold (I haven't measured it with precision). This occurred in RoF too, regardless of shadow quality settings.

My suggestion is to completely remove this autoscaling function and to tie the shadow quality to the general graphics presets.

Benefits: Consistent shadow quality through all scenes, according to the user's graphics preset.

FuriousMeow

Type of improvement: Single Player gameplay

Explanation of proposals: Please create a new QMB capability to have the enemy formation taking off from an airfield that you can attack. Since RoF, I've wanted the ability to do a quick mission with the enemy flight(s) taking off so that I can attack them on the ground or to have a ground attack on an airfield with planes taking off there.

Benefits: Fun

• Upvote 6
  • Jason_Williams locked this topic