E69_Qpassa_VR
1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

4 K resolution beat VR in looks. 
VR is more a kind of expirience

thing is the display of VR is way smaller, the experience is different

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Despite the crappy artifacts and blur of utube, that's still miles better than what I can see currently in game.  Looking forward to rejoining the war.

To the guys concerned about losing their invisibility shields, put those gorgeous cloud layers and weather to use, with a little imagination and ingenuity, they are a viable and usable asset now.

• Upvote 6

Blind man here! Please make that option available for the few, the proud but the honestly blind ones of us who really want to go online, but currently do not dare to. Then we will need the appropriately named, 'Blind Man's Server's.

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister

Jason, I like where you guys are going with this. The wing surface reflections do the trick for close and mid range visability.

Are you planning any changes on mid to long distance spotting for high resolution displays?

Is it me or the planes are less visible when they pass in front of the horizon fog?
But we can see that they are better off from the ground.

Thanks devs 😉

On 9/4/2020 at 4:17 PM, Jason_Williams said:

My point was to record it in 1080p which is the crappiest res most play at with the crappiest AA (FXAA) and make a video that demonstrates that even then you can still see other planes. In a higher res with better AA and actually looking at your screen its even better.

Jason

It's well known that spotting in this game is easier at lower resolutions with no AA, does this patch change something so it's easier to spot at higher resolutions compared to lower?

Edited by Tycoon
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tycoon said:

It's well known that spotting in this game is easier at lower resolutions with no AA, does this patch change something so it's easier to spot at higher resolutions?

This was always my assumption (i have not run extensive tests). 

Within the last week I upped my resolution from native 3440x1440 to 5120x2160 (Ultrawide Resolutions), just to see how IL-2 would run on my PC and what the up-scaling would look like.  I was rather surprised when I first spotted contacts, how distinct they looked compared to what I was used to, to the point that I am/was convinced it increased my ability to spot.

Have you tried anything like that?

Do any other 4k or 1440p players have a comment on spotting between the 2 resolutions?

5 hours ago, Donik said:

Within the last week I upped my resolution from native 3440x1440 to 5120x2160 (Ultrawide Resolutions), just to see how IL-2 would run on my PC and what the up-scaling would look like.  I was rather surprised when I first spotted contacts, how distinct they looked compared to what I was used to, to the point that I am/was convinced it increased my ability to spot.

Do any other 4k or 1440p players have a comment on spotting between the 2 resolutions?

I upgraded from 1080p to the best 1440p I could ever buy. Other games are impressive how the looks on my monitor, but on il2 I am much blind than before, so I stoped playing, I will not waste my time for just a single game where I can play everything I want with that incredible image quality.

Edited by SJ_Butcher
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Donik said:

I don't doubt contacts look more distinct at higher resolutions, but finding them initially is always my problem and the lower the resolution the easier it is (to a certain extent) for me to spot them. I don't know what the jump from 1440p to 2160p looks like, I do know 1080p is easier to spot at than 1440p.

4 hours ago, Tycoon said:

.., I do know 1080p is easier to spot at than 1440p.

There are tons of modern myths around this topic - for me spotting with IL2-GB began with changing from 1080p to 1440p.That step nearly doubled my range - with both resolutions I tried to a lot to find the optimum settings. Compared to my co-flyers I am somewhat up-to-date now.

[DBS]Browning

Some here are worried about scratches on the car door that is about to be replaced. 

Forget what you think is wrong with the old spotting and just be excited about what the new one might bring. 

• Upvote 4

Everyone out here at the Home is extremely excited about any improvements in spotting and we look forward to this making its way into release.  It's been the only  topic of conversation around here while we wait for Nurse Ratchet to hand out our daily medications!

🤙

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Forget what you think is wrong with the old spotting and just be excited about what the new one might bring. 

I think that too.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

This looks great i can see contacts against the blue sky and so quick with the changes also what did you do ??

Looking forward to getting back to il-2 .

Maybe i can start flying TAW again . 

This looks very promising . 

AirWolves=Jakey-Poo

This definitely looks like an impressive step forward, and I’m excited to give it a shot!  Sorry if I missed it, but when can we expect this to be implemented?

Thats some great news!
The video quality might not be the best, but you already commented on that. Big thanks @Jason_Williams, @Han and the rest of your team, for tackling that problem. We all know how "special" this community is 😅. Keep up the great work you guys did over past years, this sim just keeps getting better and better! 👍

Edited by JG77_Knipser

I would love to have TAA antialisaing with AMD CAS(open source), this will be the best combo on image detail, and it's the best way to have the clearest image quality.

• Haha 1

Great, cant wait to not be forced to play at 1080p to be able to spot planes, please release patch so i can play at some glorious 4k finally :)

• Upvote 1

I have watched this vid 2 times now and honestly I hope it is as good as you say because I fly at 2560x1440 and have for years, but I will believe it when I see it on my monitor because in all actuality I cannot tell anything from this you tube video. I am really kind of miffed as to why this was captured at 1080p as that has been the go to resolution for years to have the best spotting possible?  I really hope the Team has nailed it, but this is kind of a bad tease that still leaves me wondering. If you are excited Jason, then I will take that as good news and I look forward to testing it myself. Two Weeks?

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

The latest spotting changes and other new enhancements will be in Beta this week and then released maybe the week after if all goes well this weekend. I don't have any other comments on the video. I normally don't record in 1080p. 1080p sucks in my opinion in all ways, but many of you fly in that res so I recorded in that res using my normal settings and tools I use for 4K videos. Beta testers like the new spotting too at all resolutions, so looks like we have improved things.  Everyone just relax and have run. COVID summer is over and if you were able to go outside, now is a great time to come back inside and play more Sturmovik!!! If you were stuck inside...well keep playing!!! and buying!!!

Jason

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11
  • Upvote 23

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

The latest spotting changes and other new enhancements will be in Beta this week and then released maybe the week after if all goes well this weekend.

Two weeks. I think he just said "two weeks".

Now all is well with the world. :dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 9/8/2020 at 8:38 PM, Jason_Williams said:

The latest spotting changes and other new enhancements will be in Beta this week and then released maybe the week after if all goes well this weekend. I don't have any other comments on the video. I normally don't record in 1080p. 1080p sucks in my opinion in all ways, but many of you fly in that res so I recorded in that res using my normal settings and tools I use for 4K videos. Beta testers like the new spotting too at all resolutions, so looks like we have improved things.  Everyone just relax and have run. COVID summer is over and if you were able to go outside, now is a great time to come back inside and play more Sturmovik!!! If you were stuck inside...well keep playing!!! and buying!!!

Jason

:saludo:

Jason

Friend Jason from Rise of Flight, Neoqb after 777, I'm stuck in

this world that you managed to recreate, with a lot of effort and dedication.
in addition to the dedication and love that Betas Testers also

dedicate it, because we love this! I love this world that unites

history, fun, feelings and conciliation!
Waiting for the next Beta

let's keep looking forward

69575.thumb.jpg.feaad3cc6a22522bf47e05e2c31681cc.jpg

Edited by III/JG52_Lothar29

Thanks for your hard work on this Team. I'm going to hold judgement until I can see it in person, on my own screen for myself and not on some video. I trust that it's better like you and the testers have said. Excited for the next update! It really is crazy how fast you guys crank out these updates to stuff.

[DBS]El_Marta

Yes, of course. Destroyed ground targets are rendered intact from a farther distance:

Edited by [DBS]El_Marta

53 minutes ago, Tipsi said:

When this is fixed, will there be anything else to complain about? 😅

Alas, there always will be something to complain about - sad, but true...

40 minutes ago, THERION said:

Alas, there always will be something to complain about - sad, but true...

I haven't seen any complain despite the spoting, in fact is soo irritant that I stoped playing and my friends too. Never a "feature" make me quit a game.

• Upvote 1

E69_Qpassa_VR
3 hours ago, Tipsi said:

When this is fixed, will there be anything else to complain about? 😅

Invisible planes are a problematic issue

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR
  • Like 1

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Ok everyone,

I re-recorded the spotting video this time capturing it with Shadowplay in 4K at max settings (thanks for the tip Requiem). I had stopped using Shadownplay for recording due to some stutters it induced in IL-2 last time I tried to record with it, but that seems to have stopped. So, uploaded straight to YT and it's much better. If you have a 4K screen it looks great.

I also have it recorded in 1080p with Shadowplay and may upload that tomorrow. You guys were right, the original video in the OP is garbage. Ignore it.

Jason

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 15

12 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I haven't seen any complain despite the spoting, in fact is soo irritant that I stoped playing and my friends too. Never a "feature" make me quit a game.

Check the FC forum.

This indeed benefits all in the long run! And still... I won't be able to spot better those that are not even playing for starters...

• Jason_Williams locked this topic