Some Spotting Fun

Jason_Williams

I am currently tearing away all my simkits and will get new hardware within November. I decided to make my new pit VR friendly for GB with the help of Glv. And screen friendly for MSFS 2020 , COD and DCS. 
When I am finnished I come back and expect everybody to be happy and cheerful. 
I really admire the developers will to satisfy their customers. They should have credit for the effort alone. And I really hope it will accommodate most peoples wishes. 

• Upvote 2

=EXPEND=Dendro

min 3h27 to 3h34....watch the plane diving from right to left just after shots fired....it shudders then disappears completely at 3h34 .Could be a youtube thing but it vanishes and reappears at 3h41 in front then turns under your nose.  This is something that happens a lot currently in game especially with contacts below the horizon.

Please check your recording, Jason and let us know.

plane1.jpg

plane2.jpg

plane3.jpg

plane4.jpg

Edited by =EXPEND=Dendro
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Dendro said:

min 3h27 to 3h34....watch the plane diving from right to left just after shots fired....it shudders then disappears completely.Could be a youtube thing but it vanishes and reappears at 3h41 in front then turns under your nose.  This is something that happens a lot currently in game especially with contacts below the horizon.

Video compression and also, some conditions that make the plane harder to see. In this case: side view.

Just wait for the official update 🙂
As Jason said, Testers are very, very, very happy.

Edited by LF_Gallahad
  • Like 2

Wow, the new video finally made me see the improvements, and they are many! 
Excited to try this out, but I hope I can still sneak my Stuka into the enemy territory. Us poor stuka-hussaren have a hard life as it is!

Phenomenal job, team!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Ok everyone,

You guys were right, the original video in the OP is garbage. Ignore it.

Jason

Told you so! :dash:

Really looking forward to seeing this in action. It is a good thing that the team has heard their customers and are trying to correct this problem.:good:

S!Blade<><

GOA_Karaya_CRI*VR*
1 hour ago, =EXPEND=Dendro said:

min 3h27 to 3h34....watch the plane diving from right to left just after shots fired....it shudders then disappears completely at 3h34 .Could be a youtube thing but it vanishes and reappears at 3h41 in front then turns under your nose.  This is something that happens a lot currently in game especially with contacts below the horizon.

plane1.jpg

plane2.jpg

plane3.jpg

plane4.jpg

Maybe this could be the famous invisible plane issue?

Edited by GOA_Karaya_VR

Very eager now for the update after this new video. I was trying to watch the edges of the video that might not have been necessarily in Jason's POV at the time. At one point, I saw a fighter low off his left wing against the ground, several thousand feet below his altitude. Below that fighter, another passed even lower, nearly at ground level. It stood out clearly until it went across a woodland when I lost it from view. As I would expect to in real life. Excellent work on this coming update I believe.

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
57 minutes ago, GOA_Karaya_VR said:

Maybe this could be the famous invisible plane issue?

This looks like momentary UDP interruption and has zero to do with this thread. Invisible planes in MP has been solved in a previous update and from what we can tell it's working as planned.

Jason

2 hours ago, =EXPEND=Dendro said:

He's just a dark object blending with a dark patch on the ground. He's not disappearing. The new haze settings should help alleviate some of this blending into the background. But even so sometimes you lose visual contact. It's still going to happen in the sim on occasion as it did in real life. 

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 10

Holy Moly, the way the spotting looks in that new video compared to what it is now in the sim, it's gonna feel like going from being Mr. Magoo* to Chuck Yeager!

Like many of the recent laudable improvements to the series such as the new pilot physiology and damage modeling, I'd guess that the 80/20 rule of life will apply and 80% of us will LOVE it and the other 20% may claim it's not needed or overdone.  I just hope it becomes the new standard single setting and not another "alternate" setting that no MP servers will end up using due to divisions in the community. 

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
19 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Holy Moly, the way the spotting looks in that new video compared to what it is now in the sim, it's gonna feel like going from being Mr. Magoo* to Chuck Yeager!

Like many of the recent laudable improvements to the series such as the new pilot physiology and damage modeling, I'd guess that the 80/20 rule of life will apply and 80% of us will LOVE it and the other 20% may claim it's not needed or overdone.  I just hope it becomes the new standard single setting and not another "alternate" setting that no MP servers will end up using due to divisions in the community. 

There will a spotting option called Enhanced that is mainly for long distance spotting beyond 10km and haze can be set by mission makers. Less soupy to pretty soupy. I have to give options because there is no perfect answer and not everyone has the same monitor or eyesight. Just the way it is. Most Beta testers prefer our new Default as quite realistic, yet comfortable. I think the community will agree in the end.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6

Last video is what I was hoping for. It looks like a very good balance of realism and visibility. Nothing is perfect..so games too. Too many different hardware, monitors, trackers (now VR)....

34 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

There will a spotting option called Enhanced that is mainly for long distance spotting beyond 10km and haze can be set by mission makers. Less soupy to pretty soupy. I have to give options because there is no perfect answer and not everyone has the same monitor or eyesight. Just the way it is. Most Beta testers prefer our new Default as quite realistic, yet comfortable. I think the community will agree in the end.

Jason

Is the 'Enhanced' option replacing the 'Alternative Spoting' or is it another setting entirely?

4 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Is the 'Enhanced' option replacing the 'Alternative Spoting' or is it another setting entirely?

I hope it does. But TBH I would like to have only one option - standard. So we all play the same freaking sim in MP on each server.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

I hope it does. But TBH I would like to have only one option - standard. So we all play the same freaking sim in MP on each server.

Me as well. Customization is all well and good but the settings sound like they may well be redundant.

• Like 2

New video looks great! Really great!

Is it too soon(TM) to ask about improved labels? Use case: In a furball I want to be able to quickly turn labels on and off that show names from quite a distance so I know who I'm shooting at, or who I'm running to/from. Helps a lot with the trash talking. And let's be honest, trash talking is the best part about playing online with friends.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Thank you for the response.  From your description it sounds like what we are seeing in the video is the what the New Default will be.  Although it's not stated that way explicitly so hopefully my interpretation is correct.

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Replacing it.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

The new video is a much better representation of the new spotting system in the works. Well done!

301 Moved Permanently

Hyped for trying it out on my own system. 🤓🤩

Could you please share your graphics settings please?

Gamma seems to be below 1.0 value, more like 0.8 or 0.9, and I am not sure whether you are running HDR on or off.

I too record with Shadowplay, what was the trick if I may ask? 😄

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
  • Upvote 2

Alright, jut watched the new video on my 2560x1440 monitor and that looks amazingly good even through you-tube compression. I hope the team can deliver that quality of spotting in the next update. Even against the terrain I could pretty much follow the bandits. This should make a world of difference and quell all of those spotting complaints we have been relaying to the team.:good:

S!Blade<><

8 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Replacing it.

Jason

Jason, as much as I hate the current spoting, I agree like many other that we should have just one universal solution, servers will use the more realistic anyway. That's why the solution should be definitive and if they want to tweak the haze that's just another think that brings more options, but please consider just one final solution.

• Like 1

Mitthrawnuruodo
16 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

Jason, as much as I hate the current spoting, I agree like many other that we should have just one universal solution, servers will use the more realistic anyway. That's why the solution should be definitive and if they want to tweak the haze that's just another think that brings more options, but please consider just one final solution.

Keep in mind that it's not just about servers. There are many people playing offline that like to tune the experience to their liking with a variety of assists.

I don't think that options are a problem as long as their effects are logical and clearly documented.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

I understand those who wish for a single setting, but perhaps they would be less against the enhanced mode if they though if it as being similar the the icons option or if they saw it as an accessibility option for those with poor eyesight. 

Edited by [DBS]Browning
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

3 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

I understand those who wish for a single setting, but perhaps they would be less against the enhanced mode if they though if it as being similar the the icons option or if they saw it as an accessibility option for those with poor eyesight. 

This will be determined by servers and popularity anyway. 
Poor eyesight will be a disadvantage if you fly with people with good at any settings. 
At least it give a alternative, I think dogfight servers will find it interesting, and hardcore mission focused servers not

The new video is looking even better than the last one. Thanks for that!

There is just one thing I noticed that seemed off now that I watched it in full screen. I don't know if it's because of compression or the game rendering itself.

@Jason_Williams look at the aircraft going across the field from 10:40 to 10:44, when the view point changes. Specially at 10:42. Its right wing vanishes against the dark green field.

The same happens at 7:16 , when the forward aircraft flies over the field and its wing vanishes. And on 7:18 the aircraft trailing it goes over a field and part of it vanishes for a split second.

And the farther aircraft around the middle of the screen going from bottom right to top left at high speed also vanishes at 7:08 when flying over the forested areas and some of the fields, appearing again only at 7:12.

There probably are more moments like these.

I am mentioning this ust in case it is something that hadn't been noticed and needs to be worked out before the patch.

If the planes aren't vanishing in the game and it's just the YouTube video, then all good!!

Edit: seems to be the same happening at 3:37, sort of what Dendro posted and you responded. Before and after 3:37 yes, it is blending pretty well with the background so it is a lot harder to see. But it didn't look like it was blending with the background for a split second at 3:37. The whole aircraft model was gone, like in the timestamps mentioned above.

Edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT
  • Upvote 2

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
1 hour ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Jason, I know you won't want to go into specifics, but could you perhaps give a broad outline about what exactly has changed to result in this improvement?

Ummm... you can see planes better!! I'm not going to go into methods. That just is an invite to agitators. We prefer you just fly and enjoy the result.

And your request is great .... no specifics, but broadly and exactly. LOL

giphy.gif

:salute:

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Upvote 2

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
Just now, [DBS]Browning said:

Yes, that was stupid of me. Completely understand.

Was a combination of things including scaling. LODS. lighting and haze. No magic. Just re-vamp.

Jason 

• Upvote 4

• Jason_Williams locked this topic